Hearthstone Tavern Talk – June 20, 2018

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Ever wondered what goes on behind the closed doors of the tavern? Ava and the crew’s antics aside, the Hearthstone development team works hard on a myriad of tasks to bring you the game you know and love so well. More than that, we also make the time to read about the different issues and questions the community brings to light each day.

Welcome to Hearthstone Tavern Talk, where we’ll share with you answers to some of the questions we see in our community!

Are there any additional rewards for players who have achieved a Golden Hero in every class?

Usually when we add new features or rewards we like to make something that can be obtained by 10% or more of our players. Only very few of our players have the 9 Golden Heroes, and we feel that’s already pretty awesome by itself.

Do you have any changes planned for the new player experience?

We have some small ladder changes that we would like to do at some point, specifically targeted at new players when they first enter the game. The change will add some additional ranks above rank 25 that new players can play through before having to play more invested players. There will only be forward advancement through those ranks, so even if they lose, no one will be able to drop back down.

What are your thoughts on alternate card art or reprints of cards from earlier sets?

Alternate card art is something we have avoided because players almost always use art to recognize a card and instantly know what it does. Good gameplay is very important to us so we have avoided adding multiple pieces of art for a single card.

Reprints are something that we have discussed in the past, but we would want to do so only after careful consideration. We don’t have any specific plans for this in the near future.

See you at the next edition of Hearthstone Tavern Talk!
only 3 questions?

Shortest talk ever!
These insights are great. Keep ‘em coming!

...hopefully many of them...
THESE are the questions they choose to answer? Wow, I read the forums every day and I gotta say, only one of these (the new player experience) is even remotely close to a hot topic. And the answer is pathetic.
How do we submit OUR questions for Hearthstone Tavern Talk?

Rgds,
self-declared representative of the HS forum residents/communities.
06/20/2018 04:02 PMPosted by BadSoup
THESE are the questions they choose to answer? Wow, I read the forums every day and I gotta say, only one of these (the new player experience) is even remotely close to a hot topic. And the answer is pathetic.

The request for golden heroes plus is pretty evergreen. For those extrinsically motivated, it’d be nice for another goal after 500w/class. But, as with all things it comes down to cost/benefits and we’ve got a peek at where Blizzard draws the line.

The alt art I’ve not seen much but reprinting old cards is fairly common as well. Check to see how often people call for Dirty Rat to be reprinted/moved to Standard, for example.
Two out of three of these are things I instantly recognize from regular forum posts.

Sure three questions isn't much. But it keeps it to a length that most people will read and it's a start.
06/20/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
Alternate card art is something we have avoided because players almost always use art to recognize a card and instantly know what it does.

Why would that be a problem with a couple of variations? In magic some cards have 8 or maybe even more alternatives for art and people still recognize the cards. Also, you can just mouse over and read the name if you're not sure.
06/20/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Lyrist
Alternate card art is something we have avoided because players almost always use art to recognize a card and instantly know what it does.

Why would that be a problem with a couple of variations? In magic some cards have 8 or maybe even more alternatives for art and people still recognize the cards. Also, you can just mouse over and read the name if you're not sure.

Eh...

I have decks that use 4 different arts for the same card and have played a great many people that could not follow that I was playing the same card. Sure, the dedicated players knew what I was doing. However, maybe 5% of the local gamers can identify a goblin grenade by artwork alone, especially when the artwork changes with every copy of the card I play.

You're not wrong. Just providing more detail from the other side.
I think this is a fantastic idea overall. However these particular questions are probably not what people are looking for here. These seem far too casual to surprise anyone who is dedicated enough to visit a Hearthstone forum.
You did a terrible job. Really, all you could get them to answer was 3 questions? You're our community manager, these guys might think you do a good job but I expect a lot more. Give us something with substance, something we can digest in the thread an give actual feedback on.

That's my feedback, if you need a question to ask them, Theman wants to know if you guys have plans on making wild packs available for gold in the store. AN an alternate Warlock portrait in the store, not some dumb Gnome from a fireside gathering only.
I like this kind of things. Just hope you do it often.
Please don't make us wait months for this
06/20/2018 04:25 PMPosted by Ace0Spadez83
06/20/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Lyrist

Eh...

I have decks that use 4 different arts for the same card and have played a great many people that could not follow that I was playing the same card. Sure, the dedicated players knew what I was doing. However, maybe 5% of the local gamers can identify a goblin grenade by artwork alone, especially when the artwork changes with every copy of the card I play.

You're not wrong. Just providing more detail from the other side.

Players that "could not follow" may have never seen goblin grenade before in the first place.

If you say the words "goblin grenade" and they don't know what that means they have to read the card anyway. It doesn't matter if you erased the art and drew a pepe meme on it.
The change will add some additional ranks above rank 25 that new players can play through before having to play more invested players.

I hope that means that noone can drop four ranks down and hit these additional ranks ? So that you can maximal drop to rank 25 after season ends - otherwise I see no sense in it.

Only very few of our players have the 9 Golden Heroes, and we feel that’s already pretty awesome by itself.

In my opinion thats only because ranked is boring - meeting the same netdecks all time and the grind is a pain for casual players (sorry for the negativity but thats how I feel :( - 5000+ games in casual since beta (which would easily get me 9 golden heroes) however I stick with my opinion that a game should be fun - and ranked is just not - no willingness to suffer here ....
Edit: when you have a golden hero there is no way back to use the not golden version so you are stuck with it ...

any ideas how to make ranked more attractive - less monotone and toxic ?

Usually when we add new features or rewards we like to make something that can be obtained by 10% or more of our players. Only very few of our players have the 9 Golden Heroes, and we feel that’s already pretty awesome by itself.

That sounds like circular reasoning...

Since there is no incentive to get all goldens, people dont bother to get all goldens, so there will be no incentive to get all goldens...
Would anyone from the Dev team care to comment on the changes to legend ladder that seemed to have occurred recently? Queuing into rank 1 non-legend while in top 100 (or top 20 as some players on twitter have had) has NEVER happened in previous seasons and with how often its happening its the general consensus of the competitive scene that there was a change in matchmaking again.

The radio silence on the issue is incredibly concerning and disheartening as a player considering how something similar occurred in late March and there was no clarification/acknowledgement for almost a week and to quote the forum post acknowledging that incident, "We’re committed to doing a better job of communicating these kinds of changes in the future."

Even if there wasn't a change SOME word is better than NONE especially with the precedent that's been set of making changes and acknowledging their impact far after the fact.

I hope this doesn't come off ill-mannered, I'm just very passionate about this game and competing but it is so incredibly frustrating to see this happen time and time again.

Thank you.
Reprints are something that we have discussed in the past, but we would want to do so only after careful consideration.

I am so confused how this would work without alt-art. Literally just add an old card to a new set with flavor text and all? If I have the card from the old set, do I have to obtain it again for the new set? Seems like a ripoff... I would be on board for moving a few cards into the classic set, but not a new set.

On the Tavern Talk itself, I would love to hear some news about cosmetics.
Am I getting this right?

Customers: Can we get X?

Blizzard: No. We though about making this game fun but decided against it.
Sweetness, I lik it. I've always wondered why blizzard never hosted some kind of Q&A so this chimes really well with me. I hope in the future they host a live q&a and deliver on some hot topics
Variant art doesn't even have to be totally different. They could use the base art and add or remove details and make the golden animation slightly different.

For instance, if they ever reprinted crackling razormaw they could use approximately the same art but instead of just moving his claws up and down he could lean forward menacingly or something. So the art would still be recognizable but still collectable. And the two versions of the card would have to take up separate spaces in the collection anyway because they would need to have different set watermarks and possibly different rarities if rarity changes for some reason, so they may as well do SOMETHING fun with the art.