How to survive as a control player in this combo-fested meta?

Play Mode Discussion
It seems that this meta is a compilation of the most anti-fun decks ever graced this game: Infinite Fireball Mage, Kingsbane Rogue, Deck Swapping Druid, Shudderwock Shaman.

It's practically imposible to play control decks at the moment when you would have zero chance in 8-9 out of 10 matches. I have never felt such hopelessness like this for a long time.

Is any of you have any suggestion for a control deck that is good against those cheaters? I don't mind the high cost or losing 100% against everything else. I just need a control deck that has at least possitive win rate against the above four decks.
06/18/2018 03:49 PMPosted by NOC
It seems that this meta is a compilation of the most anti-fun decks ever graced this game: Infinite Fireball Mage, Kingsbane Rogue, Deck Swapping Druid, Shudderwock Shaman.

It's practically imposible to play control decks at the moment when you would have zero chance in 8-9 out of 10 matches. I have never felt such hopelessness like this for a long time.

Is any of you have any suggestion for a control deck that is good against those cheaters? I don't mind the high cost or losing 100% against everything else. I just need a control deck that has at least possitive win rate against the above four decks.

I don't know that there's a perfect answer for you, and I don't feel that Exodia Mage is really a thing anymore, (Kingsbane Rogue is also MUCH weaker in Standard now).

That said, a lower curve, (tops out at 5 with Brawl), Quest Warrior deck should have a good chance vs the decks that're annoying you. Evenlock is also pretty decent vs those, provided you get Mountain Giants on board early.
You cant beat togwaggle druid with some silly control! He is the one who controls! :D
In control, you can do nothing against Infinite Fireball Mage, Kingsbane Rogue, Deck Swapping Druid, Shudderwock Shaman decks. This game has become zero, you have too many stupid cards either unstoppable as kingsbane (indestructible) or cards with excessive stats for a low cost in mana
How does a bone necro beat a windy druid?
How does paper beat scissors?

Sometimes the best counter is just to play something else
isnt control doing fine in this meta?
06/18/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Boreas

No. Didn't you know that those poor control players are horribly oppressed in every meta ever?

According to me, the ultimate arbiter what is right and what is wrong, control is the only right way to play the game, as aggro takes no skill and combo is cancerous.
Games should last at least 20 minutes and the winner should be decided by who has the greediest deck.

I want aggro plebs to break themselves upon my body (and my removal) and I want to be able to hero power and emote for seven consecutive turns against every other deck without fear of a pesky otk.

All of a sudden, these combo decks are 'anti-fun' because YOU refuse to switch to their counters? That's a personal problem.
I was gonna say something but I am just at a loss for words... Kingsbane has literally two good matchups and every other one is awful and it represents barely 1% of the decks that are being run, how do you even get to the point where you are upset about it? I am genuinely curious.

In Standard you have zero excuse for losing to Kingsbane or Togwaggle Druid. Togwaggle you break the weapon and you're good and Kingsbane is weak in Standard. If in Wild you can Dirty Rat interfere with Togwaggle but Kingsbane will -always- be an issue no matter the Control deck because it can get online so fast with a decent draw. Personally I'd just treat Kingsbane Rogue as a toss-away matchup as Control in Wild

Shudderwock Shaman depends.
In Wild it is combined with Jade so, again, it is kind of a hard, hard counter to a lot of Control decks because of that. I'd assume (haven't scene enough in Wild) that Cubelock w/ Rin might have a shot as you can bust them two ways either through deck deletion or through combo. The pure combo might be even better as I am typing this because you really want the Gul'Dan summon ASAP. Remember in Wild the Lackey nerf essentially did little to the deck as you already started cheating minions out quicker.

In Standard run a Control deck with a win condition like Taunt Warrior or Even Warlock and you have a decent shot (>4/10). It isn't favored but Even Warlock, I believe, is very close to a 50/50 matchup same with Cubelock which granted is more of the classic Combo-Control hybrid. I've had some luck in limited games with Quest Priest w/ Mind Blast just because I Psychic Scream bury the key cards the best I can so it delays the Shudderwock combo. Eventually I've won usually with 19 damage from hand and the Shaman isn't expecting that at all as most Quest Priests don't run Mind Blast.

Overall though, in Standard, Control is alive and well. I'm 63% WR with Quest Priest and 72% with Quest Warrior. Control has never been stronger in Standard.

As for Wild Control outside of Warlock has been kind of iffy since K&C in my opinion. Between Druid (Maly, Tog, Jade), Kingsbane Rogue, and the rare other combo decks it just doesn't seem worth it right now to play non-Warlock Control.
It seems that this meta is a compilation of the most anti-fun decks ever graced this game:

Nope.

Jade Druid and Pirate Warrior were still less fun to deal with than what's going on right now.
Exodia Mage has a winrate close to 40% overall. Kingsbane is well below 50%. Togwaggle and Shudderwock are more consistent, but still have counters: against Tog, breaking the weapon helps, and once you break the weapon, if make sure to keep your hand size to 5 or fewer they'll never be able to swap decks for more then a turn. Their third win condition is to swap decks and double naturalize to deal 15 fatigue damage, but they have very little minion pressure and it should be easy to stay above that as a control deck. Even as a "pure" grindy control deck, you should be able to beat them fairly reliably.

Shudderwock is more annoying, because if you don't put pressure on they'll win eventually. But they hard counter grindy control in a less oppressive way then Quest Rogue, just like whatever control deck you're running hard counters aggro.
Isn't the reason there are combo decks in the first place is because of how well "control" decks are doing? If aggro is running wild then combo decks will be less likely opponents?
06/18/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Boreas

It was but its on the decline with the surge of combo type of decks.
Control Warlock 41.6% win rate
Big Spell Mage 50.3%
Taunt Druid 50.3%
Control Priest 49.8%
etc...

But Honestly the Combo Decks for the most part really arent doing that stellar either.
Combo Priest 46.5%
Kingsbane Rogue 45%
Shudderwock shaman 48.6%
etc..

The control decks are giving the combo decks enough time to pull off their tricks but the combo decks are losing to aggressive decks.

The decks doing the best at the moment are the consistent even and odd decks and aggro to midrange decks.