Hearthstone Tavern Talk – July 5 2018

Play Mode Discussion
Ever wondered what’s goes on behind the closed doors of the tavern? Ava and the crew’s antics aside, the Hearthstone development team works hard on a myriad of tasks to bring you the game you know and love so well. More than that, we also make the time to read about the different issues and questions the community brings to light each day.

Welcome to Hearthstone Tavern Talk, where we’ll share with you answers to some of the questions we see in our community!

What is the Hearthstone’s team stance on adding more or bringing back past Heroes?

We want to keep adding more cosmetic Heroes to the game. Along with card backs, they give players more visual options on how they want to play. We’re also hoping to bring back some of the ones we’ve featured in the past to give a wider audience a chance to get them. We’ve always got something in the works, but for various reasons it does take time to get them out into the game. Meanwhile we’re hard at work ensuring more valiant (and diverse) Heroes can join you on your Hearthstone adventures!

Why doesn’t Team 5 do more frequent balance changes?

Balance changes do some great things for Hearthstone. They reinvigorate the whole meta: people start experimenting with all kinds of decks and trying to find out which ones are strong or fun for them. In addition, there usually are a lot more decks and classes that people can play after balance changes, and this provides a lot more freedom to players to do what they like best.
However there are some disadvantages to frequently changing cards.

• Some people enjoy a meta that has settled down so that they can build a deck to counter the meta. When people are all experimenting with different classes, it is a lot harder to build a deck to counter the meta.

• Frequent changes make your collection feel less solid. This makes it harder to get excited about a specific card or deck you have.

• If things changed every week, players will not have enough time to explore all the nuances of a certain card.

• People grow accustomed to a favorite deck and when that deck is frequently changed up due to balance changes, the player often feels less inclined to trust the game as a whole.

Would you ever be open to receiving card art submissions from players or the community?

We love admiring community artwork for Hearthstone or the Warcraft universe in general. Many of the images you see in the game have been created by artists directly employed by Blizzard, but many more are created by our external art partners. We have reached out to artists like Monica Langlois and received permission from her to publish her Fen Creeper art in the game. We also discovered artists like Wei Wang and Tooth via fanart submissions.

If you feel your art style matches Hearthstone’s, we encourage you to submit your portfolio to the Hearthstone team at artsubmissions@blizzard.com. Remember to have “Hearthstone Art Submission” in the email title!

See you at the next edition of Hearthstone Tavern Talk!

Cheers!
This has probably been addressed before, but will old card backs become available again at some point as well? I’d really love the opportunity to grab the handful that I missed from Hearthstone’s first year or so.
Tyrande, please!
Bringing back old card backs and heros has been in the talks for like 2 years now.. make it happen already?

Edit: I really do appreciate these tavern talks though, please keep them coming :)
Give me Tyrande!
Is there any news/updates on the previously mentioned 2v2 mode that was in progress? That mode is what i have been waiting for for YEARS!
Still hoping Arthas shows up at blizz con pissed off he's being put into the wild.
KHADGAR WHEN
These posts are great! Looking forward to the next one.
When are they going to talk about their policy on dust refunds? Jungle Moonkin got a huge Nerf when the beast tag was removed and no dust refund, which goes directly against their policy that only nerfed cards get refunds.
I want to know if the staff scoots around the facility on hoverboards.

I want to know if they have mandatory naps.

That's it for now.
07/05/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
Would you ever be open to receiving card art submissions from players or the community?

I think Hearthstone should have more art for their cards. It'd allow for more deck customization and provide a different perspective on some cards. For instance, a Lord Godfrey prior to his affliction. Or maybe a more serene Malygos.

The popular argument against multiple card art just falls flat: "We want the players to be able to recognize the cards as fast as possible". Why? There are no instant spells in Hearthstone. No abilities you can activate on your opponent's turn. You just sit and watch, and have nothing better to do than take an extra .5 seconds and read a card name (If you couldn't tell by the mana-cost, entrance animation, voice-line, et cetera....)

Anyways, that's just my two cents! Trying to keep the Tavern Talk going.
As much as i wanna get tyrande. But what about a new priest hero? Any ideas who that could be?
07/06/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Kaladin

The popular argument against multiple card art just falls flat: "We want the players to be able to recognize the cards as fast as possible". Why? There are no instant spells in Hearthstone. No abilities you can activate on your opponent's turn. You just sit and watch, and have nothing better to do than take an extra .5 seconds and read a card name (If you couldn't tell by the mana-cost, entrance animation, voice-line, et cetera....)

It's their same argument back when they said the community couldn't handle more than 9 deck slots. We're all idiots, and instead of being offended by Blizzard pretty much calling us idiots, we say, yeah that's a fine argument.
07/06/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Kaladin
07/05/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Jesse Hill

I think Hearthstone should have more art for their cards. It'd allow for more deck customization and provide a different perspective on some cards. For instance, a Lord Godfrey prior to his affliction. Or maybe a more serene Malygos.

Anyways, that's just my two cents! Trying to keep the Tavern Talk going.

I like the instant recognition of cards. Especially in my own hand. Especially on a small screen.

What they COULD do is, allow a player to have unique "entrances" for their cards. Kind of like Pyros comes flying in. Maybe some sparkle effect, or flame or rumble. You could apply it to cards like gems in armor.
07/06/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Right

I like the instant recognition of cards. Especially in my own hand. Especially on a small screen.

What do you do when a new expansion launches and you can't instantly recognize cards since they're new? Do you just give up and quit the game?
Please implement a change so battlecry triggers when you summon creatures, rather than playing them. It would give a whole new dimension to the game.
07/06/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Excerion
07/06/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Right

What do you do when a new expansion launches and you can't instantly recognize cards since they're new? Do you just give up and quit the game?

No I learn them, like when I encounter anything new in my life. Fortunately when a new xpac comes out every card in every deck is NOT new so I can differentiate between Fireball and Super Flame Fist by process of elimination.

I address, adapt, overcome and then master all aspects of this existence!!!