Hearthstone Tavern Talk – June 27 2018

Play Mode Discussion
Ever wondered what’s goes on behind the closed doors of the tavern? Ava and the crew’s antics aside, the Hearthstone development team works hard on a myriad of tasks to bring you the game you know and love so well. More than that, we also make the time to read about the different issues and questions the community brings to light each day.

Welcome to Hearthstone Tavern Talk, where we’ll share with you answers to some of the questions we see in our community!

Do you have any plans for new emotes or emote customization?
We have added special hero emotes for events like the fireworks in last year’s Fire Festival and also recently updated emotes for mirror matches. We want to keep doing similar things! We don't have any plans to change the base emotes though.

Are there any updates on future game modes, like a co-op or multiplayer feature, 2 vs. 2, or 2 vs. AI?
We’re always experimenting with different ways of doing these in Tavern Brawls and Fireside Brawls, and plan on continuing those experiments at some point in the future. The challenge for us is to really figure out what makes them fun and interesting. The few of our crazy ideas that survived our play tests have gone on to become some of our best brawls and single player content. And let’s not forget the upcoming in-game tournament mode—the ability to use multiple decks in an online tournament with a group of friends is very appealing to us.

Will you be looking at making more minion Types like Kobolds or Spirits?
Some of our best theme decks are built around minion Types. Elemental decks, Murloc decks, Mech decks all hinge on the minion Type and are a great starting point for deckbuilders. However having too many minion Types can cause collisions, where one card looks like it could be several different types. If you see a Demon wearing an eye-patch, do you expect it to be Pirate or Demon? What about a mech that looks like a bear? Would that be a Beast or a Mech? We run into these issues a lot, and they will come up more if we add more Types to the game. We have looked at adding new Minion Types before, such as when we playtested a Cultist minion Type when we designed C’thun for Whispers of the Old Gods, but this is not something that we have plans for just yet.

See you at the next edition of Hearthstone Tavern Talk!
Holy jeebus, how can 2vs2 NOT be fun? :D
>Dated June 27th

Even if you're pacific time, it's like 10:30pm. Cutting it pretty close there on the 27th, buddy.
It never ceases to amaze me how Hearthstone devs in 2018 insist they have game design issues that were resolved 20 years ago in Magic.

"LOL WHAT DO WE DO IF A MINION LOOKS LIKE IT HAS 2 TYPES LOL!!?!?11"

... Give it 2 types? Or use different artwork. How is that an issue? These kids made a card that is literally every minion type at once but they're afraid to give a minion 2 types. It makes no sense.

Not to mention most of the minion types just aren't realistically going to go together well anyway - combinations like murloc+elemental or mech+literally anything don't make any sense. You're either a machine or you're not. You're a wild animal or you're not. Pirate is the only one currently that you can really argue would have a relatively wide potential ONLY because pirate is a job rather than a race. I GUESS you could theoretically be an elemental pirate... I guess. But that wouldn't be an accident, you'd have to go out of your way to make that card a reality and knowingly commission artwork for an elemental that is a pirate.

In any case, if it does happen then what's wrong with giving a card 2 minion types?
Have a date for tournament mode been set? Any link where I can read more about this feature?
I am happy to hear that you are considering those extra game modes. And did you say "upcoming" tournament mode as in that's surely coming? That brightens my day even more! Can't wait for that!
Thx for the constant communication Jesse.
I know people take if for granted, its nice to have someone form the team talking to us instead of years of silence.
Thanks Jesse for these tidbits. It's good to get even a distant, vague idea of what the team is thinking about. Parenthetically, 2v2 games are a no-brainer. Implement that feature post-haste.
I feel like the dev team is extremely tone deaf to the community. They basically just said no auto-squelch despite the community clearly saying they want it. The explanation on minion types to me seems really, really ridiculous. Perhaps they need some new leadership back in the dev department because it reads like a bit of a circus these days.
Two-headed giant PLEASE. I don't think anyone would care how unbalanced it could be. Make it a strictly casual gametype.

And not a brawl that you see once every two months.
+1 to Jesse for communication; it's always appreciated. ^_^
06/27/2018 10:25 PMPosted by globalist

Can be extremely fun --- and also as frustrating as it can be fun.

In 1v1, you may face someone who intentionally ropes you. In 2v2, you may face up to 3 people roping you. In 1v1, if someone leaves, the other player wins. In 2v2, what happens if someone rage quit or DC? Does the game keep going? Does it make the "partner" automatically lose? Will he be able to play both decks?

What if there were two pirate warriors in a game ganging up on you at once? Obviously rules should be adjusted to accommodate a 4 player tavern, but the possibility of combos should be kept an eye out for.
06/28/2018 09:19 AMPosted by ThinIce
What if there were two pirate warriors in a game ganging up on you at once?

You'll have a teammate. Won't be any "ganging up" on anyone.

but the possibility of combos should be kept an eye out for.

I disagree. The plethora of combinations is the sole reason to add in 2v2. Policing it would detract from it.

What if there were two pirate warriors in a game ganging up on you at once? Obviously rules should be adjusted to accommodate a 4 player tavern, but the possibility of combos should be kept an eye out for.

That actually brings up what I think would be the biggest issue with 2 v 2. How would matchmaking work? Would it require you to team up with a friend on your list? What if you don't have a friend that plays, or you don't have one worth playing with because they won't cooporate with you or whatever reason? Would you be paired up with a random partner from matchmaking? What if your decks don't work together? What if you end up playing against two people with decks built to work together and your random opponent is playing something random that doesn't suit your deck?
06/28/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Lyrist
How would matchmaking work?

You queue solo, you pair with another solo player. Sometimes your decks won't work together. When you queue solo, you should have selected a deck that you think can stand well on its own. Obviously this gametype favours coordination. That's the point of it, not the issue.
06/28/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Kaladin
Obviously this gametype favours coordination. That's the point of it, not the issue.

But that's the exact issue I'm raising?

Solo queue only would be lame because there would be no opportunity to coordinate decks and strategies with your partner before the game. You'd be playing against two random decks with a random other deck that may have nothing to do with your deck at all. There wouldn't be much incentive to play anything much different from the run of the mill stand alone ladder decks as you couldn't really do a deck that focuses on supporting your partners stuff because if they did the same you probably just lose a really long boring game. So it wouldn't offer much of a change of pace.

If it's team queue only it's lame because not everyone could regularly participate as not everyone has friends and even if you have friends they don't necessarily want to play with you whenever you want and don't necessarily have good cards to compliment yours.

If it's possible to mix the 2 and have a team of 2 guys against 2 solos it's lame because you would HAVE to get a real partner to do well at all, so it would basically be the same as teams only.

On top of that, there's the issue of how the teammates would communicate. They could easily implement an in game team chat, but if you're randomly matched with a teammate that means non-friends are going to be in direct contact and that would appear to be something they've wanted to avoid for the last 4 years. So if you can't talk to your partner because of that prospect of griefing, that would be lame.
06/27/2018 10:25 PMPosted by Lyrist
Even if you're pacific time, it's like 10:30pm. Cutting it pretty close there on the 27th, buddy.

Shhhhh....
Solo queue only would be lame because there would be no opportunity to coordinate decks and strategies with your opponent before the game.

I don't think this would be lame. It's a hurdle. One that's overcome all the time in Magic Duels. Turn 6: I have Leeroy Jenkins in my hand, my partner has Blessing of Kings and Chillwind Yeti in theirs. The opponent has ten health left. Sometimes coordination doesn't require chat, it requires trust. You have to read your partner's hand, and play accordingly. I don't think that's lame at all.

06/28/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Lyrist
If it's team queue only it's lame

I agree.

2 guys against 2 solos it's lame

Since when did challenges become lame? I've won countless games solo-queue in two-headed giant. And that creates a bond between you and your partner. A lot of the friends I made from Magic Duels was from that exact outcome.

On top of that, there's the issue of how the teammates would communicate. They could easily implement an in game team chat

I don't think in-game chat is Blizzard's style. However, team's can easily use Battle.net voice chat, or friend-list chat. And I'm also not opposed to them adding a chat, but that's a different matter altogether.
06/28/2018 07:47 AMPosted by TheRiddler
2v2 games are a no-brainer. Implement that feature post-haste.

I don't think it would be easy, but it can be done and would be lots of fun. Surely, there couldn't be 4 heroes cuz it would be kind of impossible to see anything on a mobile phone. But a team of two decks sharing a board and a common hero sounds great