Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 184 Next
06/23/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Player
Using the arguments for AS, there IS a contradiction. You don't want communication, you don't want BM, why then should you have access to emotes after already deciding you don't want to hear them in that game?

Doesn't matter I use auto squelch every single game thanks to a 3rd party program. I also still BM at the end of the game if it was someone who ticked me off.

I do it now so nothing changes sorry.
Even if I don't end up using it, I am all for it. I don't think using emotes really constitutes very deep socializing in the first place and people who use them for nefarious ends really ruin whatever potential they might otherwise have.

To me, the question to address is how to implement it: Do you let the opponent know it is activated or not?

On the one hand, a well-intentioned player might be put off by somebody who does not reply to them. On the other hand, an avowed BM'er might resort to more extreme tactics, like roping, if they know their emotes aren't getting through.
Meh. Ultimately doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I wouldn't mind if they added the feature (frankly, I don't see why such a simple QoL feature shouldn't be in the game), but it is really no skin off my nose if they keep things the same either. It really isn't that hard to just squelch if someone is annoying.
06/23/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Nautika
06/23/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Player
Using the arguments for AS, there IS a contradiction. You don't want communication, you don't want BM, why then should you have access to emotes after already deciding you don't want to hear them in that game?

Doesn't matter I use auto squelch every single game thanks to a 3rd party program. I also still BM at the end of the game if it was someone who ticked me off.

And, this is exactly why if Blizzard adds the feature it needs to work differently.
06/23/2018 05:25 PMPosted by Player
06/23/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Nautika

And, this is exactly why if Blizzard adds the feature it needs to work differently.

It doesn't matter seriously. Even if i didn't use an auto squelch I could still manually squelch you and STILL BM you. What you want is a whole restructuring of the ENTIRE emote system....
06/22/2018 10:48 PMPosted by Tao
Perhaps I have an alternate option that fills a need while avoiding potential downsides: set a pop-up toggle that is activated upon squelching X consecutive opponents within Y seconds of games starting.

So say upon your 10th opponent you get the usual “squelch” button and a second “continuous squelch” option. This keeps the UI free of option bloat and opens the perma-squelch to those who really want it and won’t even pop up for others.

Whoa. Forgive me if this comes across as beating a dead horse but why would adding an auto squelch but keeping it off the UI be a bad idea?

The only reason we’ve been given for no AS thus far is options bloat and death of a thousand cuts. If adding auto-squelch as a sub-option of the already implemented squelch avoids both of these while giving players a functioning auto-squelch, what is wrong?

I don’t pay that close of attention, but I don’t know if I’ve ever had that many downvotes. So I must be missing something somewhere.
06/23/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Nautika
06/23/2018 05:25 PMPosted by Player

It doesn't matter seriously. Even if i didn't use an auto squelch I could still manually squelch you and STILL BM you. What you want is a whole restructuring of the ENTIRE emote system....

Then manual is sufficient for these types of players. It's not in the spirit of the supporting arguments to do this, and as such should be removed as an option for the feature.
I never squelch, but I support adding Auto-Squelch so that the people who want it can be happy and will keep playing with me. I don't emote much beyond the equivalent of "GLHF" at the beginning and "GG" at the end, but if even that is irritating to people, I'm ok with them being shielded from it.

Then once we get Auto-Squelch we can all focus on getting an in-game Wild shop ;)
I've already put forth my thoughts on emotes, but I'll add it on the official thread.

I'm one of the people who actually like emotes. I find it makes the game more fun for me and it enhances my playing experience. No, I don't BM people, and I rarely run into anyone BMing.. I'm a bit puzzled why there's a push to paint the picture that ALL emotes = BM. Are people really that anxious about emotes that they fear a simple "Well met!" will lead to obnoxious BMing the whole match?

Regardless, while I don't understand why emotes make some people go insane, it seems like a simple feature to implement, and I support it being added if it will make a huge difference in the enjoyment of the game for some players.

I'd also like to add that I like the emote system WAY better than in-game chats, which actually do run rampant with trolls and ridiculous inane conversation that I have no interest in seeing whatsoever. Emotes are much more fun to me. I laugh everytime I hear Medivh say "I appreciate that" or "That was folly".

So, to sum up, I think the feature should be implemented, but I also love emotes and wish people wouldn't equate all emotes with BM.
I don't understand why this thread was created.

People have been asking for auto-squelch for years. If the subset of HS players that actually take the forums (which is very small) is any indication, then the numerous requests on these forums should be indication enough that the "entire HS community" would find it a useful function.

No one was clamoring for "Your Opponent" nearly as much, and Blizz still failed to implement that -- you just add friend, last person played to see who they were (working as intended?).

Just put the option in the game already.
If people are misbehaving, report/ignore them and move on. Don't get this thread locked; it's important.

This includes pro-squelch folks.
06/23/2018 08:37 PMPosted by Assenav
So, to sum up, I think the feature should be implemented, but I also love emotes and wish people wouldn't equate all emotes with BM.

I don't myself think of emotes as always BM or even most of the time. My theory as to why some do is that in reality the meaning of the emote is often in your imagination. There isn't enough information there to parse what the opponent is really thinking. Some cases are very obvious, like a well met at the start, but others are much less so. It makes sense that different people would interpret them in a different light. It's probably not something you can easily control.

On a side note I wouldn't squelch a chat even though I always squelch the emotes when I remember to. Chats at least convey real meaning even with the trolling. Of course this will never come to HS since it is a age rating thing.
I don't want it, but i don't care if its added.

I enjoy the occasional emote and If they bm, I just squelch.

Will players with auto-squelch on still be able to emote?