Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 124 125 126 146 Next
01/04/2019 10:09 AMPosted by Grumphy
01/04/2019 10:04 AMPosted by Right

Correct.

And many "of you" have stated that no reason will be acceptable.

Doesn't mean we don't want to hear the explanation. We're still somewhat reasonable in that regard. At least there would be some piece of mind and we can move on. Atm it's just standstill.

I can see it now...

"Whatever" the explanation they give you guys ...

It's going to start a riot of " BUT OMG THATS SO DUMB BLIZZ BBQ!!!"

...reasonable

That's why they don't take a firm stance. They don't wanna get hash tagged butwhy!!!

"Oh... Ok... cool"

Will not be stated, lol.
01/04/2019 10:24 AMPosted by Right
I can see it now...

...reasonable

That's why they don't take a firm stance. They don't wanna get hash tagged butwhy!!!

"Oh... Ok... cool"

Will not be stated, lol.
I see an easy solution for this dilemma: Give the players what they want.
01/04/2019 10:28 AMPosted by Monlyth
I can see it now...

...reasonable

"Oh... Ok... cool"

Will not be stated, lol.

I'm a player. I don't want it. Now what?

Also, gotta LOVE the old "Cry until you get it!" attitude you must have been raised with.

I wish I was your child, I'd have EVERYTHING!

Here's the solution for the "dilemma"

The people who make the game decide how it's made.
01/04/2019 10:36 AMPosted by Right
Then this doesn't affect you. Stay out of this.
Also, gotta LOVE the old "Cry until you get it!" attitude you must have been raised with.

You really haven't given me any good reasons not to add this feature. Everything you've posted as a counter-argument has been thoroughly debunked already. So there's nothing to argue with you.

Plus, Blizzard rarely listens to their players at all these days, unless you cry as long and as loudly as you can. You reap what you sow.
01/04/2019 10:09 AMPosted by Grumphy

Doesn't mean we don't want to hear the explanation. We're still somewhat reasonable in that regard. At least there would be some piece of mind and we can move on. Atm it's just standstill.

I can see it now...

...reasonable

"Oh... Ok... cool"

Will not be stated, lol.

Not much of a revolution starter myself. Was thinking more in the lines of: Well... ok... if they really don't care, it's time to move on and forget about Hearthstone for good. And even though I've grown up playing and enjoying pretty much all the Blizzards games over the years, there are other games out there and it's time to let this one go. In a way its like getting out of abusive relationship perhaps. I tried to make it better, but it didn't quite work out this way and my suffering is not worth it.
01/04/2019 10:42 AMPosted by Monlyth

You really haven't given me any good reasons not to add this feature. Everything you've posted as a counter-argument has been thoroughly debunked already. So there's nothing to argue with you.

Plus, Blizzard rarely listens to their players at all these days, unless you cry as long and as loudly as you can. You reap what you sow.

And, you really haven't given me any good reasons to add this feature. Everything you've posted as a counter-argument has been thoroughly debunked already. So there's nothing to argue with you.

The only valid argument for automating an existing manual option, is laziness.

"Please ADD this to the game"

There's nothing to "add", the feature already exists. You just don't want to have to activate it manually.

Proclaimed "frequency" of "having to" press it does not an emergency on Blizzards part make.

The feature exists, nothing to add.

"I don't feel like pressing a button" is a horrible argument.
01/04/2019 11:04 AMPosted by Right
Well then, why don't we just go back to being hunter-gatherers; having no technology whatsoever, struggling to survive a few months past birth and never living past age 40, because anything that makes our lives easier or more convenient is just so horrible.
"I don't need this feature, therefore it shouldn't be added" is a horrible argument.
01/04/2019 11:30 AMPosted by Monlyth
Well then, why don't we just go back to being hunter-gatherers; having no technology whatsoever, struggling to survive a few months past birth and never living past age 40, because anything that makes our lives easier or more convenient is just so horrible.
"I don't need this feature, therefore it shouldn't be added" is a horrible argument.

Kinda neat how neither you or I make any decisions at good Ol' Blizzard HQ, right?

So, how's this for the 100th time...

From Jesse... go back 1 page and re read it cause I re posted the magical information no one has ever seen which states...

"I just talked with them again recently and there is still no plan to implement auto-squelch. It is still not something they want to do. "

Bro... forget me, forget you.. we are nothing.

It is still not something they want to do.

They make the game, you and I don't.

They heard you.

It is still not something they want to do.
01/04/2019 10:28 AMPosted by Monlyth

Not all players want the same thing.

I have jumped on the "Anti-AS" posters for this, so I am doing the same in kind. Please do not speak on how something effects someone else. As you are not seeing things from their perspective, you do not fully understand their opinion. Conversations cannot be had if the approach is "you don't agree, stay out".

You really haven't given me any good reasons not to add this feature. Everything you've posted as a counter-argument has been thoroughly debunked already.

This is repeatedly said by both sides. It is obvious people disagree with each other and don't want to take other opinions into consideration. Which is fine, but nothing has been "debunked". Just disagreed with based on the perspective of the person responding.

Once again, this is a conversation with multiple sides.

Plus, Blizzard rarely listens to their players at all these days, unless you cry as long and as loudly as you can.

Not listening and not making a change based off a request are not the same thing. The request has been listened to and a response has been given. Disagreeing with the response doesn't mean it was never said or that the request wasn't heard.

I'll mention here as I mentioned above. Each has their own experience and enjoys and dislikes things in their own way. Just because something doesn't bother one person, or is seen as not a big deal by them, doesn't mean that is how it is for everyone. As well, please keep in mind the points brought up by mobile players. There is validity to not wanting to repeat the same action, in the same game, multiple times, through out multiple games.

Discussion and debate over the matter is fine. However, do so from your own point of views. Please do not speak on behalf of others. This includes opinions as to why they should or shouldn't want a feature or how their opinion doesn't work.
OK cool Jesse, thanks for the thread moderation.

Now, let's address what the people continue to ask you.

They want to know why.

"It is still not something they want to do" is not good enough for them.

I really could care less one way or the other if they make a manual option automatic. My opinion on the need for it is well known.

Yes, fix the mobile drop off, that's a bug at best.
My opinions then.

1) Auto-Squelch eliminates the task of manually Squelching opponents at the start of the game. Squelching manually is not a big task, but it adds up after playing hundreds and hundreds of games. Plus when you DC you have to do it again.

2) Games with Auto-Squelch turned on would be just like any other game where none of the players chose to emote in the first place.

3) Nothing changes for a player who chooses to emote, because on their screen the emotes would play out normally and they can enjoy the "novelty" of the one-liners they've heard thousands of times over.

4) Person who has turned the Auto-Squelch on, could play their game in peace, relieved from the annoying soundclips they've grown tired of, in case they've forgotten to manually Squelch beforehand.

5) Since the Squelch feature already exists, its automatic implementation couldn't be too difficult.

6) Many Hearthstone players have asked for the feature over the years.

7) Emotes are not meant for a meaningful communication whatsoever. If that would be the case, devs would've included the possibility to chat during the game with the opponent.

8) Development team is aware that at times emotes are used to BM, which does not make for a great gaming experience.

9) Auto-Squelch feature would show the community that devs actually care about the playerbase and are interested in improvement, rather than just making money.

10) I've said it before but I'll say it again - the opponents can already be Squelched and this option has shown no backlash whatsoever.

My opinions then.
8) Development team is aware that at times emotes are used to BM, which does not make for a great gaming experience.

True. BUT.

Emotes are also used to communicate in ways that are NOT BM. This is not opinion, it's fact. I use emotes in a friendly way constantly and have received them in friendly ways as well, sometimes laugh out loud humorous when used to highlight a misplay that was funny. I rarely get BM'ed or spammed and feel I have a superior knowledge of the rate of friendly VS BM because I don't ever squelch. (how can you know the emote environment better than me, if you squelch every game?)

9) Auto-Squelch feature would show the community that devs actually care about the playerbase and are interested in improvement, rather than just making money.

Eh... maybe. There are many other improvements that could be made first.

10) I've said it before but I'll say it again - the opponents can already be Squelched and this option has shown no backlash whatsoever.

Disagree. When I say Hello to someone and they don't say Hi back, it's kind of rude.

Sorry, I'm terrible at quoting and these were all I disagreed with, your other comments were agreeable
Emotes are simply used in a toxic manner creating unnecessary anxiety in an environment that should otherwise be enjoyable. I just read a thread about roping...did you know that many people rope simply because their opponent emoted them in a toxic manner? I read another about people leaving early...did you know many people leave a game early when they have a POSSIBLE lose which may result in being bashed by toxic emotes toward the end of the game?

People want enjoyable games not toxic ones and autosquelch will help to this end! If you want a toxic environment simply allow chatting so we can insult each other properly and not behind the guise of emotes.
01/04/2019 09:43 AMPosted by Morthasa
01/03/2019 02:49 PMPosted by Shelzin
But I can come up with a time where the emotes aren't BM for every one of them that's left... I never could for "Sorry"

I actually used "Sorry" for the times I accidentally forgot to end my turn and ended up inadvertently roping my opponent. Oops doesn't always express that ("How can this be" does not really state "Ooops, my bad, didn't mean to rope you").

I disagree with that obviously.
01/04/2019 09:01 AMPosted by Right
01/04/2019 08:30 AMPosted by SunGazer

This is also an opinion, except the guy you're responding to didn't make up some BS social theory about where people fit in an emote group matrix and try to masquerade it off as fact.

Anyway, it'd be nice if someone from blizzard would Sack Up and just admit they're never going to implement autosquelch. Yes, it is the right thing to do, both from a design perspective and just a human decency perspective, but they won't because it might effect their sale of hero portraits. They could just admit it and we can all move on.

Yes... the groupings are my opinion, as I perceive them, I figured that was implied... ANYWAY....

I re posted your requested answer, it's up to you to read and comprehend it.

IT'S STILL NOT SOMETHING THEY WANT TO DO (as of dec 18th)

So stating "that's your opinion" at the start of your post is pretty redundant and unnecessary, isn't it?
Not listening and not making a change based off a request are not the same thing. The request has been listened to and a response has been given. Disagreeing with the response doesn't mean it was never said or that the request wasn't heard.
Well, what I really meant to say is that Blizzard never seems to act on player feedback unless the players complain as long and as vocally as possible. Even well-thought-out and well-presented feedback seems to fall on deaf ears unless the complaints begin to affect player numbers or player spending.

It feels like Blizzard often imposes their vision of the game on their players even when the players clearly want something different, and only seem to care about improvement or customer satisfaction when their wallets are threatened.
01/04/2019 12:59 PMPosted by Grumphy
My opinions then.
You put it much more eloquently than I did. I agree with your opinions.
01/04/2019 12:17 PMPosted by Right

They want to know why.

I really could care less one way or the other if they make a manual option automatic. My opinion on the need for it is well known.

Now, Right, I would like to critique your opinions. You seem to believe that:

1) Adding this option simply automates a function that you can already do in-game, and therefore is unnecessary.

2) Adding this option would not benefit you personally, therefore it shouldn't be added.

3) Blizzard has already made their stance clear, and therefore it is pointless to argue with them.

Now my response:

1) This is, at its core, just a quality-of-life update. It's only a minor inconvenience, yes, but (as Grumphy pointed out) over the course of hundreds of games, it can quickly become a significant annoyance. Two clicks per game doesn't sound like much, but if you were to play 30 games in a day, it turns into 60 clicks. It's just something I'd rather not have to do for every single game.

2) If this doesn't benefit you personally, then from my point of view, you have no stake in this matter. If auto-squelch were to be added to the game, other people would benefit and you would be unaffected. How would auto-squelch change the game for you in any meaningful way? And why do you seem to argue against auto-squelch so vehemently?

3) I know that Blizzard has made their stance clear and that they have the ultimate authority over this, but as the saying goes, "The customer is always right". The explanation they have given seems inadequate to me; I still don't see how adding the feature would be anything but a benefit. I would understand their hesitation if we were talking about balance changes or new cards, but we're just talking about a simple quality-of-life update here. So yes, if they're not going to add auto-squelch, I would like a more substantial and believable reason for why they wouldn't add such a simple quality-of-life feature to the game.
The problem with the notion of “the customer is always right” is that when there are lots of customers wanting lots of different, conflicting things, they can’t all be right all of the time.
01/04/2019 09:37 PMPosted by Mand
The problem with the notion of “the customer is always right” is that when there are lots of customers wanting lots of different, conflicting things, they can’t all be right all of the time.
Sure, but this isn't a case of 20 different customers wanting 20 different things. You either want auto-squelch, or you don't want auto-squelch, or you don't care.

I understand why people would say they don't care, but I still don't see why anyone would say they outright don't want auto-squelch. Even if you don't want to use it, how would it affect you in any way if it were added to the game?
01/04/2019 09:57 PMPosted by Monlyth
01/04/2019 09:37 PMPosted by Mand
Sure, but this isn't a case of 20 different customers wanting 20 different things. You either want auto-squelch, or you don't want auto-squelch, or you don't care.

I understand why people would say they don't care, but I still don't see why anyone would say they outright don't want auto-squelch. Even if you don't want to use it, how would it affect you in any way if it were added to the game?

That part is something i don't get either and they couldnt explain.

Why you don't want AS? It doesnt change anything for you as a pro emote user, the guy that doesnt want emotes is already using a third party program with AS or doing it everything manually, so, basically it really doesnt change anything to the guy from the other side if the people that want this are already squelching full time, i can't get it, other than "if they don't want to listen my emotes at least i want them to Take the job of silence every game so they get punished for wanting that"
01/04/2019 09:03 PMPosted by Monlyth
Well, what I really meant to say is that Blizzard never seems to act on player feedback unless the players complain as long and as vocally as possible. Even well-thought-out and well-presented feedback seems to fall on deaf ears unless the complaints begin to affect player numbers or player spending.

It feels like Blizzard often imposes their vision of the game on their players even when the players clearly want something different, and only seem to care about improvement or customer satisfaction when their wallets are threatened.
01/04/2019 12:59 PMPosted by Grumphy
My opinions then.
You put it much more eloquently than I did. I agree with your opinions.
01/04/2019 12:17 PMPosted by Right

They want to know why.

Now, Right, I would like to critique your opinions. You seem to believe that:

1) Adding this option simply automates a function that you can already do in-game, and therefore is unnecessary.

2) Adding this option would not benefit you personally, therefore it shouldn't be added.

3) Blizzard has already made their stance clear, and therefore it is pointless to argue with them.

Now my response:

1) This is, at its core, just a quality-of-life update. It's only a minor inconvenience, yes, but (as Grumphy pointed out) over the course of hundreds of games, it can quickly become a significant annoyance. Two clicks per game doesn't sound like much, but if you were to play 30 games in a day, it turns into 60 clicks. It's just something I'd rather not have to do for every single game.

I have squelched under 20 times since MSoG expansion when I started. Your "need" to click hundreds of times is a situation you may need to reevaluate and examine as there are many people who don't squelch at all. This "habit" of squelching every match just in case you get emoted is overkill in my opinion. I don't think BM is as bad as you think and I would ask you how you know how bad BM is if you squelch every match, thus disabling your ability to notice and measure BM. (I think this is the question I'd love to see answered the most)

2) If this doesn't benefit you personally, then from my point of view, you have no stake in this matter. If auto-squelch were to be added to the game, other people would benefit and you would be unaffected. How would auto-squelch change the game for you in any meaningful way? And why do you seem to argue against auto-squelch so vehemently?

I have already stated but will reiterate. I think the CURRENT manual squelching of every game is a problem. (I also think antisocial introverted behavior IRL disrupts society and can be dangerous, different forum) People intentionally ignoring nice people because they are afraid they MIGHT be rude is in itself RUDE. I didn't say or do ANYTHING to you before the match began, and have pressed NOTHING, and you squelch me? JUST IN CASE IM A JERK? SO, I press Hello and plan on that being possibly my only emote of the game and you don't/can't respond because you squelched me? You're a pretty rude person in my book.

Automating this process can only exacerbate it.

Again, the statement is "How would it affect you?"

Answer: It already does and automating rudeness can only be a worse thing.

You do see that BM goes both ways, Right? (pun)

Sure, no one wants a dumb emote every cooldown possible in the game. But I swear on everything I love that that has happened to me under 20 times in thousands and thousands of games which is why I question the validity of the claims made regarding the necessity of squelching every match.

3) I know that Blizzard has made their stance clear and that they have the ultimate authority over this, but as the saying goes, "The customer is always right". The explanation they have given seems inadequate to me; I still don't see how adding the feature would be anything but a benefit. I would understand their hesitation if we were talking about balance changes or new cards, but we're just talking about a simple quality-of-life update here. So yes, if they're not going to add auto-squelch, I would like a more substantial and believable reason for why they wouldn't add such a simple quality-of-life feature to the game.

You may deserve a more concise and elaborate reason, sure.

Question is, would you accept it?