Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 153 154 155 184 Next
Let's say for arguments sake that clumsy fingers are an issue. Is that really anyone else's problem? Nope. You'd end up with a bunch of popups, "are you sure you wanted to end turn?" Let's not get carried away here.
01/23/2019 02:19 PMPosted by Immortal
Let's say for arguments sake that clumsy fingers are an issue. Is that really anyone else's problem? Nope. You'd end up with a bunch of popups, "are you sure you wanted to end turn?" Let's not get carried away here.

I agree that it’s not a justification for adding in autosquelch, but can we at least be more respectful and not deny that other people experience the game in ways different than we personally do?
01/23/2019 06:12 AMPosted by Krickett1
01/22/2019 07:32 PMPosted by Shelzin
You don't play the game... Remember?

Your right I don't but I will NOT give up this fight because it is something I believe in so get over yourself.

Oh come on man... I was really hoping for the "yeah, I said that when I was angry my badd"... But instead you double down?
01/23/2019 01:53 PMPosted by Mand
Well, since I’ve accidentally clicked things while playing on my phone with narrow edge bezels due to my hands touching in addition to my fingers.

This is where I like to get involved in things... However I think I've played once on my phone, and never even got to finish the game.

I didn't like the smallest of tastes I got from playing on a phone. Although to be fair, I don't like phones for anything but phone calls. So... I'm hella biased.
Mand and Right. Please stop.

You are free to have opinions of one another, but this is not the place for the back and forth about it. There are a handful of you who post on this thread on the regular. We are not going to be able to move away from these type of un-needed arguments if those who are the most seen are being seen as setting bad examples. Please look to lead responsibly and be better.

This goes for everyone as well. It is much easier to take someone serious, as well as much easier to carry on a solid conversation when folks remain level headed. I know certain topics can lead to passionate debates, but please try and realize that the person you are talking to probably feels just as strongly about something as you do. If that person is unwilling to accept this or remain civil in discussing their thoughts, then their thoughts may not be worth your time.

01/23/2019 01:53 PMPosted by Mand
Well, since I’ve accidentally clicked things while playing on my phone with narrow edge bezels due to my hands touching in addition to my fingers

^ This happens to me constantly in every game I play lol. "I'M TAPPING IT! WHY WON'T IT RESPOND?!?" - 10 seconds later I realize the lower part of my thumb has been on the screen the whole time.

01/23/2019 01:39 PMPosted by Right
I have hands, five fingers (on each hand, yes, no thumbs lol), a phone and hearthstone... I understand nuances and variations, but...

I don't. My right hand only has 4 and 3/4 fingers. :( Way to rub it in. (Being serious btw)

01/23/2019 01:02 PMPosted by Mand
Always remember that your user experience isn’t the only one.

Wise words for everyone.

I don't. My right hand only has 4 and 3/4 fingers. :( Way to rub it in.

Blow torch?
01/23/2019 03:56 PMPosted by Immortal
Blow torch?

Escalator.
I think we should stop with the personal attacks and review the main points that we've been going over:
01/20/2019 10:05 PMPosted by FluffyDucky
Anti-AS
Options bloat.
Will reduce use of emotes.
Will take developer time that can be better spent on other items.
May reduce sale of hero skins.

Pro-AS
QOL improvement that will make the game better for those who want it.
Will not noticeably change the game for those that do not use it.
Minor change that will take minimal developer time.
I don't think any of these points have really been debunked or disproved, and I think declaring that they have been is disingenuous.

Unless someone has a new piece of evidence to present, I think we should all acknowledge that all of these points are valid, and move on from there.

To Anti-AS posters, I would ask: Why do you consider your points to be important enough that auto-squelch shouldn't be added for those who want it? And I think Anti-AS posters should ask a similar question to pro-AS posters.
01/23/2019 04:57 PMPosted by Monlyth
I think we should stop with the personal attacks and review the main points that we've been going over:
01/20/2019 10:05 PMPosted by FluffyDucky
Anti-AS
Options bloat.
Will reduce use of emotes.
Will take developer time that can be better spent on other items.
May reduce sale of hero skins.

Pro-AS
QOL improvement that will make the game better for those who want it.
Will not noticeably change the game for those that do not use it.
Minor change that will take minimal developer time.
I don't think any of these points have really been debunked or disproved, and I think declaring that they have been is disingenuous.

Unless someone has a new piece of evidence to present, I think we should all acknowledge that all of these points are valid, and move on from there.

To Anti-AS posters, I would ask: Why do you consider your points to be important enough that auto-squelch shouldn't be added for those who want it? And I think Anti-AS posters should ask a similar question to pro-AS posters.

Well...there it is then... excellent job. We had forgotten about these examples, but now that you have reiterated them. (I can't believe no one has thought of these or thought to bring them back up), now that we see them clearly and so well presented...

I agree, all the points for Auto Squelch are vaild and we should move on...

It's time for Blizzard to finally implement this QOL and well deserved change!

OK, so... now what do we do... Jesse? Someone?

Yeah, we're going to need you guys to add Auto Squelch to the game now, it's been long enough and Monlyth has determined there's really nothing else to talk about... so... guys...um

Hello? Blizzard?

We've decided.

You can add the option now.

Guys? Blizzard? Jesse?

Still not something you want to do?

I think Monlyth would disagree. So... better do it.
You asked so I'll answer:
Anti-AS
Options bloat.- Always been the worst cop out reason to not have AS, it's Blizzard, they re drew Azeroth for the Cataclysm expansion in World of Warcraft, they can add a freaking button. I've never taken this avenue as a valid argument.

Will reduce use of emotes.- Potentially, autosquelch and I had a good discussion about it a few pages back. Not really a concern of mine anymore because of him. I still disagree with the current mashing of Manual Squelch every match, but I digress...

Will take developer time that can be better spent on other items.- Again, it's Blizzard, not a small indie company. Although completely ignoring cost of production or cost VS time in any business is bad practice. Taking the garbage out costs SOMETHING. It's one of the major reasons why I don't think they've done it yet.

May reduce sale of hero skins.- MEH, maybe. It would however lessen the value of the voice actors production time if even a small percentage of players never hear them. Same could be said for the music, which I never listen to because I cant stand the crowd murmurings.

Pro-AS
QOL improvement that will make the game better for those who want it.- Meh, I've debated the NEED to manually squelch every match since day one, not going to get into it. But sure, it would make a manual practice automatic, how is that NOT better?

Will not noticeably change the game for those that do not use it.- It will affect the atmosphere of the game JUST LIKE I believe the current atmosphere is polluted by every match manual squelchers who are party poopers IMHO. (again, careful, it goes both ways, if you think I'm rude for saying HI, I can think you're rude for NOT saying HI, dont be hypocrites)

Minor change that will take minimal developer time. Easy for you to say. That's a big statement. I have had my RL jobs demeaned by clients saying "but it's just a couple of "widgets", or "you're only making "widgets", why is it so expensive? Well, then go make your own widgets if you think it's so easy and cheap. But I will lean again towards the fact that it's friggin BLIZZARD and not some small indie. I'm sure they CAN afford it, but I just think it's presumptuous to tell them how to spend their cash.

TLDR: I do agree all these points are valid and there really is no practical reason AS couldn't be added. I think it would help more people than it would hurt. I still don't think it's NEEDED and I still believe Blizzard reserves the right to say it's still not something they want to do.

Fin
01/23/2019 05:28 PMPosted by Right
TLDR: I do agree all these points are valid and there really is no practical reason AS couldn't be added. I think it would help more people than it would hurt. I still don't think it's NEEDED and I still believe Blizzard reserves the right to say it's still not something they want to do.
Well, the absence of this feature isn't enough to make me quit the game and it's certainly not necessary for the game to function, but it's still irritating to me that they still haven't added it after so many years of requests.

The rest of your post is well-written. The only point I'd really debate is this:
01/23/2019 05:28 PMPosted by Right
Minor change that will take minimal developer time. Easy for you to say. That's a big statement. I have had my RL jobs demeaned by clients saying "but it's just a couple of "widgets", or "you're only making "widgets", why is it so expensive? Well, then go make your own widgets if you think it's so easy and cheap. But I will lean again towards the fact that it's friggin BLIZZARD and not some small indie. I'm sure they CAN afford it, but I just think it's presumptuous to tell them how to spend their cash.
This is the main reason I've been bringing up MTGA and the auto-squelch functionality for the deck-tracker addon. If Blizzard's fans and competitors can implement auto-squelch, surely it can't be that difficult for Blizzard to do it. But I didn't make auto-squelch for MTGA or deck-tracker, so I admittedly can't know for certain.

So, yeah. I still think auto-squelch would be a wholly beneficial addition to the game, and I find it frustrating and perplexing that Blizzard continues to refuse when people request this feature.
01/23/2019 05:50 PMPosted by Monlyth
So, yeah. I still think auto-squelch would be a wholly beneficial addition to the game, and I find it frustrating and perplexing that Blizzard continues to refuse when people request this feature.

I agree... Which suggests that they aren't doing it for reasons they aren't telling us. I've addressed the only reasons I can think of.
Sorry Jesse. Wrong response was included with good response.
The game was designed to mimic the feel of a physical card game played with friends, try auto squelching your friends reactions in a real life game, it's not going to happen.

Communication is intrinsic in any physical card game, so demanding auto squelch is asking for the core design objective of HS to change, distancing it from the overall realistic atmosphere it is attempting to imitate.

If playing a physical card game and hearing any sort of communication from your opponent would make the game unpleasant for you, would you try and censor your opponent or would you concede that the game is not for you?
01/24/2019 12:32 AMPosted by Graviton7
The game was designed to mimic the feel of a physical card game played with friends, try auto squelching your friends reactions in a real life game, it's not going to happen.

Communication is intrinsic in any physical card game, so demanding auto squelch is asking for the core design objective of HS to change, distancing it from the overall realistic atmosphere it is attempting to imitate.

If playing a physical card game and hearing any sort of communication from your opponent would make the game unpleasant for you, would you try and censor your opponent or would you concede that the game is not for you?

This is nonsense, right from the first sentence.

First, people aren't playing Hearthstone with their friends. They play it with strangers they'll never see. When challenging a friend they can chat, or voice chat, even if emotes are auto-squelched.

Then people who BM at IRL professional poker, chess, MTG etc games will be banned. Not squelched, but banned. There are very strict rules what goes and what not. Distraction is a serious offense.

I'm not playing tabletop games with people I don't like either.
01/24/2019 02:39 AMPosted by Ceriulun
01/24/2019 12:32 AMPosted by Graviton7

This is nonsense, right from the first sentence.

First, people aren't playing Hearthstone with their friends. They play it with strangers they'll never see. When challenging a friend they can chat, or voice chat, even if emotes are auto-squelched.

Then people who BM at IRL professional poker, chess, MTG etc games will be banned. Not squelched, but banned. There are very strict rules what goes and what not. Distraction is a serious offense.

I'm not playing tabletop games with people I don't like either.

Yep I've seen people kicked out of qualifiers for "BMing" in real life. I used to play MTG hardcore, ran my own hobby store. You can play an ENTIRE game without saying a word. What the cards do are printed on them, and pointing or using counters is enough to indicate your intentions.