Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 175 176 177 184 Next
3500!
02/10/2019 07:31 AMPosted by Shelzin
I don't think knowing someone is squelched is really needed if the person who squelched can't emote,

Would certainly agree with this.

and can't turn it back on during a game.

Might not be a good idea. For those cases where someone wanted a quiet afternoon and turned on the autosquelch and forgot, they'd be a little frustrated to see they can't turn it back on until after the match. Do really see a potential widespread problem with people turning off squelch then stealthily turning it on to emote?
Here is the thing now.

Blizzard bothered to change Jaina Portrait, something that nobody complained about and didnt make any impact into the game since the first day of Hearthstone Release.

But auto-squelch? Nah, it just forbbiden.
02/10/2019 08:47 AMPosted by autosquelch
and can't turn it back on during a game.

Might not be a good idea. For those cases where someone wanted a quiet afternoon and turned on the autosquelch and forgot, they'd be a little frustrated to see they can't turn it back on until after the match. Do really see a potential widespread problem with people turning off squelch then stealthily turning it on to emote?

Yes... Absolutely.

But if what you have been saying in this whole thread is true, once they turn it off it'll always be off. No reason to turn it back on. Right? Much less of a potential problem.
02/10/2019 09:43 AMPosted by Shelzin
02/10/2019 08:47 AMPosted by autosquelch

Yes... Absolutely.

But if what you have been saying in this whole thread is true, once they turn it off it'll always be off. No reason to turn it back on. Right? Much less of a potential problem.

For me? Absolutely. But one of the objections has been that some people might turn it on one day for the convenience of quiet playtime and forget. Those folks might get a little frustrated the next day when they go to emote and realize they can't adjust their setting during the match.

If you think someone who squelched you shouldn't be able to emote for the whole match, wouldn't you also want that restriction placed on manual squelch?
02/10/2019 09:01 AMPosted by TheLegend27
Here is the thing now.

Blizzard bothered to change Jaina Portrait, something that nobody complained about and didnt make any impact into the game since the first day of Hearthstone Release.

But auto-squelch? Nah, it just forbbiden.

OMG truth!
02/10/2019 05:41 PMPosted by autosquelch
If you think someone who squelched you shouldn't be able to emote for the whole match, wouldn't you also want that restriction placed on manual squelch?

Sure... I don't have a problem with that... You turn it off it stays off for the rest of the match. You can't see emotes, and you can't make any emotes.

You want it AS... You do it outside of the game itself.
02/10/2019 05:44 PMPosted by Shelzin
02/10/2019 05:41 PMPosted by autosquelch

Sure... I don't have a problem with that... You turn it off it stays off for the rest of the match. You can't see emotes, and you can't make any emotes.

Fair enough. So your issue is really with squelch then. Anytime someone squelches (regardless of the reason or the method - even if it's an accidental mis-click), they are permanently locked out of emoting for the duration of the match. That's really not relevant to the implementation of autosquelch; it's really just a change you'd like to see with squelch. I'd recommend that you create a new thread to offer that suggestion to see if you get any support for it.

And autosquelch would be fine in the settings or options menu outside the game.
02/10/2019 06:07 PMPosted by autosquelch
02/10/2019 05:44 PMPosted by Shelzin

Fair enough. So your issue is really with squelch then. Anytime someone squelches (regardless of the reason or the method - even if it's an accidental mis-click), they are permanently locked out of emoting for the duration of the match. That's really not relevant to the implementation of autosquelch; it's really just a change you'd like to see with squelch. I'd recommend that you create a new thread to offer that suggestion to see if you get any support for it.

I'm more interested in the implementation done logically... I don't really care if it's put in or not. Do it wrong, more harm than good to the game will be done.

When doing things like this, you always have to look at how people can take advantage of it. Bullies like to talk, they don't want to listen. More often than not they are weak of character and get just as upset about emotes as you do. Giving them the ability to try to annoy other players with no repercussions coming back, will create more negativity... not less.

YOUR problem might be solved... But in the bigger picture another one has formed.

Nobody wants that.
This thread has been open for 7 months, and they still haven't fixed this.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

02/10/2019 07:41 PMPosted by Shelzin
02/10/2019 06:07 PMPosted by autosquelch

I'm more interested in the implementation done logically... I don't really care if it's put in or not. Do it wrong, more harm than good to the game will be done.

When doing things like this, you always have to look at how people can take advantage of it. Bullies like to talk, they don't want to listen. More often than not they are weak of character and get just as upset about emotes as you do. Giving them the ability to try to annoy other players with no repercussions coming back, will create more negativity... not less.

YOUR problem might be solved... But in the bigger picture another one has formed.

Nobody wants that.

I agree. Needs to be implemented in the best way possible. But your point, which is an important one, is something that applies to Squelch in general and not specific to the implementation of autosquelch.
02/11/2019 05:02 AMPosted by autosquelch
02/10/2019 07:41 PMPosted by Shelzin

Nobody wants that.

I agree. Needs to be implemented in the best way possible. But your point, which is an important one, is something that applies to Squelch in general and not specific to the implementation of autosquelch.

I agree... But if you are already coding... o.0
02/11/2019 05:48 AMPosted by Shelzin
02/11/2019 05:02 AMPosted by autosquelch

I agree... But if you are already coding... o.0

Fair enough. I'm all for the efficiency. Assuming, of course, both enhancements are being implemented.
02/10/2019 09:01 PMPosted by Swiftwin

They would rather make Diablo for phones than listen to player feedback.
02/11/2019 06:42 AMPosted by Zenkai
02/10/2019 09:01 PMPosted by Swiftwin

They would rather make Diablo for phones than listen to player feedback.

Or pander to the 3 people who cried about Jaina's breast vs the 1000's of folks being harassed daily.
02/10/2019 08:58 PMPosted by Swiftwin

In this last patch, with the ranking up adjustment, they are still apparently realizing that the ranked mode revamp from exactly a year ago was bad.

Since squelch is much lower priority, who knows, maybe 2021 ... ?
Yes please do auto-squelch toggle button. I get tired of squelching my opponent each match. If someone has to wait until a match completes to turn it back on, so be it. Some days I go as far as turning the hearthstone sound off and the stereo, or podcast volume up, to listen to while playing a few games.

The current emotes are nice when a player is new, adds a little something to the game. The problem is, after you've heard them a few times,... they're too repetitive and become annoying. Did I mention the abusers? Yes, there are players who abuse them. The majority shouldn't be punished with emotes because the few can't practice self-control.
02/11/2019 03:30 PMPosted by WintersGale
If someone has to wait until a match completes to turn it back on, so be it.

I've given this some more thought. It would depend, of course, on exactly how they program autosquelch and if they modify manual squelch. But if manual squelch remains an in-game click and they suspend emoting if you've squelched the opponent, it would make sense that turning it back on in-game would work. The down side is that it still wouldn't stop people from unsquelching, emoting, and re-squelching. On the other hand, if auto squelch were implemented as a toggle in the options menu, you could conceivably go to the options menu during the match and flip the switch. But if you're going to be that guy, you might as well just do it manually. People using auto-squelch are trying to minimize the tedium of the clicking; why would we do all that extra clicking to sneak in an emote?

Personally, I would have no problem with being locked out of emoting while squelch is active, whether by manual click or by a toggle. It doesn't currently work that way, but I would not object to that change to squelch. It could be more difficult and problematic to program squelch to be irreversable until the match is over. The main concern I'd have would be someone who mis-clicked and accidentally squelched their opponent, perhaps while trying to check quest progress or for info on secrets. So I'd support squelching imposing a lockout, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to make it irreversable during the match.
02/12/2019 06:31 AMPosted by autosquelch
I've given this some more thought.

Reported for bumping. You're always doing the same thing, letting the post go down then replying late to somebody asking questions hoping they'll answer it.