Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 184 Next
Is there any chance we can get answers to the other questions surrounding this topic, Jesse? Like why this system was implemented in the first place, as opposed to a more traditional chat system? Or why there is reluctance to change any part of the social systems of Hearthstone?
06/21/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Paf
As I said, I'm ultimately against anti social behavior in what I believe is a social game, but, if they implemented Auto Squelch I'd still play the game. I'd just be a little sad.

i down voted you because I don't condone anyone being forced to do something they don't want to do. Anti Social behavior is not all mental and some times it is simply someone who has had a very long day at work and they don't want to deal with anyone period.

i use to come home from work many many many years ago and i would jump in WoW or whatever MMo I was playing at the time and would immediately turn off all chat in the game.

Real life has enough drama and distractions in it I don't need them in my games.
Eh, I wouldn't mind it one way or the other.

If Blizzard does decide to add more options to their menu, there are many I'd prefer over this one though. Remove card animations would top my list, as it actually changes the way the game plays out.
Auto squelch should be there as an option. Full chat should be option as well, with again, the ability to flat turn that off as well.
Card games are social. Even in your promotion cartoons people are in the tavern laughing and chatting. Then you log in and you can't talk to anybody.
Isn't that weird?
Quick comment on the social aspect of the game.

I went to a FSG and it was cool. The ability to talk to my opponent made the game that much more dimensional. "Oh my God, tell me you don't have "that" card!"
Or a simple "I knew you were going to drop that".

Extra dimensions make the game more fun. Removing aspects may have the opposite effect.
06/21/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Knappco
Is there any chance we can get answers to the other questions surrounding this topic, Jesse? Like why this system was implemented in the first place, as opposed to a more traditional chat system? Or why there is reluctance to change any part of the social systems of Hearthstone?

While I don't know their reasoning i could guess that the money saved bu not having a chat system in place was a lot. They don't have to have someone on staff to go thru reports of people saying things someone doesn't like etc. I fully understand why a game company (in this kind of game) would NOT want to introduce a real chat system.
Oh one other thing if blizzard doesn’t want auto squelch. Just making the squelch bubble appear at the beginning of the game would make it much easier to squelch people especially for mobile.
06/21/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Right
I went to a FSG and it was cool. The ability to talk to my opponent made the game that much more dimensional. "Oh my God, tell me you don't have "that" card!"
Or a simple "I knew you were going to drop that".

Extra dimensions make the game more fun. Removing aspects may have the opposite effect.

Maybe for you but not for me or others. I am just under the reasoning that if someone wants to turn it off they should be allowed to. We are not here for your entertainment sorry to burst your bubble.
I dont think its the most important thing, but you know if its possible to happen i wouldnt be against it. No more ''wow'' or ''you will wither and rot'' would be nice.
Here is something I learned about this post. If enough people complain about something enough times, they will change it.

I propose the next following "community cry out": put wild cards and adventures in the shop.
06/21/2018 01:09 PMPosted by ThinIce
Here is something I learned about this post. If enough people complain about something enough times, they will change it.

I propose the next following "community cry out": put wild cards and adventures in the shop.

i don't even know why they don't they would make so much money boggles my brain.
06/21/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Nautika
It is simply a Quality of Life issue and no reason to not have it in the game.

Do some people get upset at emotes? yes

Do some people just not want to hear them anymore? yes

Do some people use emotes to be jerks? yes

Do some people use emotes to be social? Yes

Should we keep forcing people who don't want to be social to keep clicking every single game just to please those that do? NO

It will NOT affect anyone that doesn't want it so again no reason to not have it.

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings.
At the end of the day its hard to parse intent from the emotes, and too easy to assume the worst lacking any other indicators for them to really be useful for any kind of social behavior.

Seems like it would be easy enough to just let people opt out if they choose.
Every argument here is still basing on that there is no option for squelch (there is) instead of focusing on why squelch option is not enough. If Blizz decides to implement it, I won't get off my seat and protest, but I don't particularly see any problem with the current squelch option. And as Paf said, I too don't feel the game should deliberately try to make it non-social as it could.
Increasing the time it takes to spam emote (limiting emote per time) suggested by someone seems like a good alternative.
I can still remember years ago when one of my first opponents emoted and i was like "wow, how do you do that?"

Nowadays emoting just consists of the occasional hello and well played. I don't really come across people spamming the emotes, it must be like 1 in 100, and only then i squelch.

It's no biggy and doesn't appear to be a problem so i'm not fussed either way. FWIW.
I prefer the emotes over an in-game chat, and I don't care if they implement an auto squelch or not; emotes don't bother me.

I play with the sound off anyway. I have since day one. I turned it on a couple times when I could, but it isn't very often. So I only read them; never hear them.

However, an in-game chat would kill this game for me. I hate in-game chats worse than anything in this world. Most of the time, you can't even play games until the chat is connected if it storms. I did play WoW way back in the day and my attempts at "being friendly" were met with,

"HOW DARE A LOW LEVEL LIKE YOU TALK TO ME?"

"YOU'RE A DUDE PRETENDING TO BE A GIRL!"

Of course, maining the Hunter class didn't help matters, especially in dungeons. There was a dungeon where the tank started thr fight, but I was locked out of the fight! Another member said, "You locked Hunter out," and the tank said, "Not like they do much anyway."

I bought the battle chest and the guide said that Hunter was the best class to solo with...it was almost a relief when I got rid of my PC and all the WoW games.

Furthermore, I would spend time in a specific area to complete all the story quests..."Why are you here doing gray quests?! You need to go there and stop stealing new players quests!!!"

I played Summoners War for a while; I've seen so many new players unsummon nat 5s because of the horrendous amount of trolls on the internet.

Furthermore, they implement a chat system, then you will get trolled. "I know you: you're that R20 scrub from the forum!"

Worse yet, all those people that complain about netdecks would troll the players they play against. Battletags would be thrown all over the place and players names would be dragged through the mud because your idea of fun isn't their idea of fun.

Every game with a chat function has been a terrible experience for me. I don't like chat, and if for no other reason, I wish they would implement an auto squelch just so these threads would stop.