Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 184 Next
I really don't see the problem with adding auto squelch. Emotes never bother me but why would you not have more ease of life options or customizable options? What if for sometime I'd like to have them off it would be nice to have the option as with any game. Heck why not have ranked mode without animations too, just like playing Tabletop? It would be a good aesthetic feel and good for at work. Anyways the reasons I can see your company not adding auto squelch is

A.) You have secretly recorded data proving that spammed emotes have collected more revenue in some way like leading to more packs bought by people, as opposed to people who do squelch and don't rage spend. (Now don't get me wrong I don't believe y'all are that competent, but such a thing is possible to program and keep record of.)

B.) You simply don't have the know how or ability due to the programming of the game to implement it.

Again it makes no sense not to add as many options as possible to a game of any type.
Removed by mod. This quoted other removed comments.

From my point of view you are getting out of the rail, we are actually discussing why and if we want the autosquelch and you are already asking for something about a thing that you don't know if its going to be implemented, in your first answer you already stated your idea of "being paired with users that don't have autosquelch" and second, PVP and PVE in wow are mechanics that affects directly gameplay, autosquelch doesnt because doesnt affect the result of the game, you don't know if you are squelched or not and just like today not everyone response to emotes so its the same to you, not to them.
I made my point known and am content and won't be baited into an argument.

Yes I am in favor of an auto-squelch feature.

Yes I am in favor of adding a chat system so long as there is a way to report people who will abuse it.

I have been fairly critical of Jesse in the past but feel this is a big step in the right direction. Since I made my point known I won't be coming in here further as there isn't anything else for me to add. I do notice a few of the regulars feeling the need to post in here every page to be seen. Make your point and get out, IMO. Let the devs read the opinions without the clutter.

From my point of view you ASSUMPTION are getting out of the rail, we are actually discussing why and if we want the autosquelch and you are already asking for something about a thing that you don't know if its going to be implemented, in your first answer you already stated your idea of "being paired with users that don't have autosquelch" and second, PVP and PVE in wow are mechanics that affects directly gameplay, autosquelch doesnt because doesnt affect the result of the game, you don't know if you are squelched or not and just like today not everyone response to emotes so its the same to you, not to them.

I may be getting ahead of myself. It's forward thinking.

If you are having a discussion about. "Why I want a bigger car" and someone says "Hey, dont forget you will have worse gas mileage" and you reply "HEY, you're getting off the rails, we are talking about interior space"

Pardon me for thinking ahead.

If you listen to what I'm saying. I am all for auto squelch now. I want it.

So squelchers can be tagged and then I want a filter to not play with them.

Scottthejedi suggested a BIG RED X to indicate squelchers...and no ones telling HIM to get back within "the rails"

I want auto squelch. Stop making assumptions about my rail position.

Also I think the PVP PVE comparison is DEAD ON.

Two groups, two play STYLES. Getting ganked in Goldshire while checking your mail ALSO doesn't have an affect on the outcome of the game. It's QOL. Now, if you're doing a quest for killing boars and you get ganked, OK, that affects your gameplay, so go to a PVE server (autosquelch).

Also, apparently emotes DO have an affect on gameplay and outcomes because the people asking for AS get so tilted they can't play straight, so they squelch every game.
firstly thanks for acknowledging this topic is something important to the community.

I was taught sportsmanship, its important to show humility in winning, BM is very unsportsmanlike, I also don't know why blizzard lets streamers get away with setting such bad examples for the community but they do probably as result it happens a lot.

to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you you don't have to turn it on, well not unless you want to BM? I always greet regardless then go mute if I remember.

if I don't want to listen to you, I shouldn't have to, the option already exists so I don't have to, just want the convenience taken up a notch.
firstly thanks for acknowledging this topic is something important to the community.

I was taught sportsmanship, its important to show humility in winning, BM is very unsportsmanlike, I also don't know why blizzard lets streamers get away with setting such bad examples for the community but they do probably as result it happens a lot.

to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you you don't have to turn it on, well not unless you want to BM? I always greet regardless then go mute if I remember.

if I don't want to listen to you, I shouldn't have to, the option already exists so I don't have to, just want the convenience taken up a notch.

To the people wanting auto squelch.

Can you PLEASE stop assuming what your opposition is going to do with emotes?

You're basing your entire outlook on a misconception.

"I want auto squelch because emotes are ONLY for BM"

Please stop. This thread is for civil point making.

By saying "to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you... well not unless you want to BM?

You are attacking people who enjoy using emotes for the right reasons. What are the right reasons? Well, we can hope Blizzard didn't put them in the game to exclusively BM your opponent. Many people who like emotes have stated they can be funny, clever and add "something" to the game that makes it more fun. You don't have to "get it".

TLDR: Please stop assuming people who enjoy and use emotes are only using them for BM. Thanks a ton.
06/22/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Paf

To the people wanting auto squelch.

Can you PLEASE stop assuming what your opposition is going to do with emotes?

You're basing your entire outlook on a misconception.

"I want auto squelch because emotes are ONLY for BM"

Please stop. This thread is for civil point making.

By saying "to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you... well not unless you want to BM?

You are attacking people who enjoy using emotes for the right reasons. What are the right reasons? Well, we can hope Blizzard didn't put them in the game to exclusively BM your opponent. Many people who like emotes have stated they can be funny, clever and add "something" to the game that makes it more fun. You don't have to "get it".

TLDR: Please stop assuming people who enjoy and use emotes are only using them for BM. Thanks a ton.
Is their reasoning really relevant if they already squelch though?
06/22/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Wardrum
Is their reasoning really relevant if they already squelch though?

Well, in the spirit of trying to keep this thread civil...it seems most threads promoting Auto Squelch have to add a little dig in them... an unnecessary dig.

"You only want emotes so you can BM people!" Of course I'm paraphrasing.

Stick to your guns. Say, "Hey, I don't like hearing emotes, they set me off and aggravate me, I am just trying to wind down after work and I don't want to hear it"

That's fine. No need to add anything about your "opposition" and their reasoning for using emotes. Respect one anothers reasoning and like Jesse said...

06/21/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Jesse Hill

- Please do not speak for others. The only opinion you can be 100% on is your own. Try and avoid things such as "so many players", "majority of people" or "everyone wants". To often I have seen these comments turn threads into the type of thread we want to avoid. Besides, this is a chance for YOU to deliver your feedback about something meaningful for you. :)

This thread isn't about directly changing someones mind. It's to address Blizzard. If it indirectly changes a mind, cool, w/e. This shouldn't be a direct debate thread.
It's all break down to one single question for blizzard.

Is hearthstone a card game or a online social interractive game.

Personally I see this game as a card game and the social aspect is very very optional. It's not a MMO. I don't play hearthstone to interraction with a human, never. I play that game to play a card game. It's not World of Warcraft.

I wouldn't use that option but I still can't believe it's not a option in game since it's sooooo easy to add such an option.
Okay, one more time with feeling:

I'm in favor for auto-squelch purely for quality of life imrovement. I just play better when they're not distracting me. I do not consider emotes to be bad by themselves. If Your Opponent™ has decided to act ungentlemanly - purposeful roping and abuse of the info feedback from his cursor placement is far more aggravating (constantly highlighting your face without a card, etc.). Alas, by the wise words of Bron The Castleless "There's no cure for being a kobold."

That being sad:
- No, I do not think that my opponent is a bad person, because they used an emote
- No, I do not believe emotes don't have ANY place in the game. They are fun, especially in the solo adventures.
- No, I do not think that they are a legit tactical tool for distracting Your Opponent™. If they were - they'd be unsquelchable from day one. Although I can understand the reasoning behind using them in such manner.

Peace and love, fellow Hearthstoners.
Thanks for starting this post Jessie. To anyone who reads these forums, this is for sure a hot button issue, so it is nice to see you addressing the issue.

I would count myself in the "i don't care if we ever get an auto squelch option" camp. Firstly because i don't think i have ever once used or felt the need to use the squelch feature. Secondly, if i did feel the need to use it, i don't think it's a huge issue to just select it (even every game).

For players who do desire the option, i do understand why they would want auto squelch check able once and forget about.

But for me, player emotes just don't rub me that way.

easy...m
Thanks Jesse, here's my two cents on the issue:

The short:
I wont use it, but I have no problem with an option for auto-squelching to be implemented.

The long:
I get why players want this and I cant say I blame them. It is certainly possible to feel additional frustration at their opponents or the game in general, when the opposition is using emotes. Personally, I kind of like the extra conflict and/or shared sense of humor that comes from a well-timed emote during games, but that is my personality; my wife on the other hand, is they type of personality that probably woukd get infuriated by certain emotes at certain times.

It doesnt seem like a big deal to add an auto-squelch option to the game and honestly I am surprised we are still talking about it. Maybe there is some deeper design philosophy I am overlooking that needs to be carefully consodered, but I kind of doubt it. I dont really care if it gets implemented or not though.
Emotes trigger me and I find the limited emotes cannot convey anything meaningful. I always instantly squelch. If I forget to squelch right away, and someone says "greetings", I always "greetings" back and then squelch.

I would love auto-squelch, although I would love more to have an actual free text chat window. I wanted to tell someone this morning that they would probably win because I drew so bad. Actual meaningful communication is helpful and fun, emotes do not express anything are MUCH easier to take as BM. If we had an open chat window, with the ability to squelch / hide the window, that would be ideal.

If we had an actual chat window, I would apologize to my opponent right away for bring an OP deck into Casual with a " Sorry, I'm just trying to finish a quest", or "Sorry, I'm just trying to learn this deck before taking it into ladder".

Anyway, yes to auto squelch, I find the emotes pointless and it doesn't hurt the game at all, as I already squelch each game right away. It would just make me a happier customer.
I hope the devs don't add it. I prefer if they focus on adding new content. Squelch is already an option. Complaining about two extra clicks, when you are constantly clicking things throughout the game, seems exaggerated.
I see a lot of people talking about a chat system, but can't that be used to rig games? Specially ranked so I do not agree with it at all simply because of the abuse it will be thru and it will.
Emotes rarely make the game better for me, most of the time if they actually have an impact on my mood (which isn't often), it's for the worse - so I definitely support auto squelch. If you don't like it, don't use it - what's the problem?
I can't understand this "I don't need it so nobody should get it" attitude.
That's like me saying I don't care one bit about golden cards so Blizzard should completely remove them from the game.
You know the game is losing players when Blizzard starts to consider things that people have asked for yet the company has ignored for years.
i should see my opponent Auto-Squelch other wise all my emote effort will go to waste
If given the choice I would use the auto squelch from time to time.

I think the best implementation would be to let it reset once logged out.

There are times I don’t care and times I just squelch at start before each game.

As I have always said before though the appropriate way to use the well played emote is to let the loser emote first. Winners are more sincere when they respond to the losers well played.
06/22/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Right
Jesse, I dont appreciate that you removed my response to this attack on me.

06/22/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Right
Remove them BOTH then...

My apologizes, Right. I did miss that post. I removed the back and forth as I felt it was progressing negatively and I wanted to avoid the need for you both to feel you needed to defend each other, or to attack each other. That was the reason the posts of you two going back and forth were removed.

Once again, my apologizes for missing that.