Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 184 Next
06/22/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Jesse Hill
Jesse, I dont appreciate that you removed my response to this attack on me.

Remove them BOTH then...

My apologizes, Right. I did miss that post. I removed the back and forth as I felt it was progressing negatively and I wanted to avoid the need for you both to feel you needed to defend each other, or to attack each other. That was the reason the posts of you two going back and forth were removed.

Once again, my apologizes for missing that.

I also appreciate it and I re-edited my post and removed the salt and tears I was shedding. In fact this post can be removed IMHO, just wanted to say thanks.
Also, here's some feedback: Not only should there be auto-squelch but when your opponent goes to emote it says in the nice friendly system text across the screen: "Your opponent is ignoring." Only fair to save the malcontents from their BM'ing when it isn't even going through.
06/22/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Metro
You know the game is losing players when Blizzard starts to consider things that people have asked for yet the company has ignored for years.

Absolutely none of this is true.

I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5.

Also, the issue has not been ignored. There was an answer given and the stance has remained the same. Not changing due to whatever reason is not the matter being ignored. It is maintaining a stance on a topic. If this was being ignored, the very thread you posted that in would not exist.

When I first started commenting on these forums more regularly, I asked for feedback from the current community on how this realm could improve. The majority of comments lead to 1. More transparency. 2. Recognizing community asks. 3. More heavily moderating discussions.

Threads like this help lend to all three of those things. This is not the only topic I have done this with and will not be the last.
I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5. *edited by mod to adjust mod derp

So did I just waste my time posting if this thread will simply be presented to team 5 only to have them 100% not consider it or am I understanding that wrong?
06/22/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Jesse Hill
06/22/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Metro
You know the game is losing players when Blizzard starts to consider things that people have asked for yet the company has ignored for years.

Absolutely none of this is true.

I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5.

Also, the issue has not been ignored. There was an answer given and the stance has remained the same. Not changing due to whatever reason is not the matter being ignored. It is maintaining a stance on a topic. If this was being ignored, the very thread you posted that in would not exist.

When I first started commenting on these forums more regularly, I asked for feedback from the current community on how this realm could improve. The majority of comments lead to 1. More transparency. 2. Recognizing community asks. 3. More heavily moderating discussions.

Threads like this help lend to all three of those things. This is not the only topic I have done this with and will not be the last.

It's kind of funny how my post you quoted went from like +6 to -5 within twenty minutes...

Anyway, Jesse, you needn't acknowledge me as I have no plans to spend money on this game since they did away with adventures and went the all-expansion route. I appreciate your job as a 'CM' or whatever the title is these days. I've been playing Blizzard games for off and on (albeit mostly off) since the mid 90's.

This is stuff I -- and certainly many other people -- have seen time and time again. I wish you, personally, the best of luck. The company you work for, on the other hand, well... they're still good for a chuckle.

(I will say that I highly doubt a CM is privy to the financials of this game.)
06/22/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Immortal
I hope the devs don't add it. I prefer if they focus on adding new content. Squelch is already an option. Complaining about two extra clicks, when you are constantly clicking things throughout the game, seems exaggerated.

Implementing a toggled squelch does not have to impact the development of new content. One really doesn't have anything to do with another.
Somebody pointed out in a previous thread that some people have legitimate anxiety over social interactions, and that auto squelch would make the game more enjoyable. For this reason I support it. If I say hello in the beginning and they don't respond, I don't take it personally. It just means they prefer not to emote.
06/22/2018 10:33 AMPosted by wolf8sheep
I made it 100% clear, this is not a consideration. I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5.

So did I just waste my time posting if this thread will simply be presented to team 5 only to have them 100% not consider it or am I understanding that wrong?

Honestly it is starting to sound like the answer to that question is a definite YES.

I am only talking about how this appears to me and not claiming to know the real intentions of anyone. What it appears to me as is Jesse not liking this topic in general, but also not wanting to completely kill discussion into any topic entirely, because that would be kind of shady. So he created this thread for people to vent their futile opinions into while it is really all ignored because nothing has changed on the developer side of things.
Did we ever have a GG emote? Or did i imagine it?

Not at all and sorry if I worded that in a way that made it seem as such. I'll edit that line.

*Edit - Removed the line. Thanks for the perspective on how that came off wolf8sheep. Definitely could have been worded better.
06/22/2018 11:34 AMPosted by traja
I am only talking about how this appears to me and not claiming to know the real intentions of anyone. What it appears to me as is Jesse not liking this topic in general, but also not wanting to completely kill discussion into any topic entirely, because that would be kind of shady. So he created this thread for people to vent their futile opinions into while it is really all ignored because nothing has changed on the developer side of things.

:( Sorry if it comes off like that. Definitely not the case.

I don't particularly have a stance on the topic one way or the other, but what I do have a stance on is players being able to express their opinion on the topic in a constructive way. This thread is to help allow that, while also putting all feedback in one place and allowing me to better deliver it to Team 5. I don't find any feedback futile.

Honestly it is starting to sound like the answer to that question is a definite YES.

So you just expect for the devs to do a complete 360 on their stance because you can't stand "no" for an answer?
06/22/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Jesse Hill

:( Sorry if it comes off like that. Definitely not the case.

I don't particularly have a stance on the topic one way or the other, but what I do have a stance on is players being able to express their opinion on the topic in a constructive way. This thread is to help allow that, while also putting all feedback in one place and allowing me to better deliver it to Team 5. I don't find any feedback futile.

That seems fair. I certainly have no reason to doubt it.

Have to say thought that the bit about it being 100% not a consideration seems too specific to be a mistake. To me it seems far more likely that it is an accurate statement. That this is not a topic that is being discussed by the team right now. It doesn't meant that you have any ill intentions but it does inform us about what the team is thinking.
06/22/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Jesse Hill

Not at all and sorry if I worded that in a way that made it seem as such. I'll edit that line.

*Edit - Removed the line. Thanks for the perspective on how that came off wolf8sheep. Definitely could have been worded better.

Just gift me a GOLDEN LORD JARAXXUS EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION, and we can call it samesies
I appreciate this thread but it's quite obvious that auto squelch should have been added years ago. For me, auto squelch is the canary in the coal mine. If we can't even get this simple feature added then what can we expect from Team 5?

It honestly boggles my mind that Team 5 has given themselves such bad PR for so long. There's nothing worse than telling customers that you won't do what they want because of "reasons".
Just how difficult is it to squelch manually? Squelching at at the very start of each game is like second nature to me now - literally takes 0.5 seconds. WTF?
06/22/2018 02:17 PMPosted by globalist
Just how difficult is it to squelch manually? Squelching at at the very start of each game is like second nature to me now - literally takes 0.5 seconds. WTF?

Why do stores sell sliced bread? Slicing bread is like second nature to me. We shouldn't have sliced bread!
Personally I don't mind the emoting much and I find it is it is far, far worse on the Asian realm for example than on US, they seem to lap it up over there.

I do think that auto-squelch should be brought in though so I can actively make the decision not to play someone behaving idiotically if I so decide although like I say, sometimes emotes are fun, my particular favorite being when a player gives me a Greetings when they suppose they have fatal only to see all their minions vanish twice and then Leeroy appear...twice :)
Here's my thoughts.

I don't care. I'll never use it, it doesn't impact me. Any other possible thing team 5 can be doing is more valuable to me.

That said....its a simple feature to add. A single button that creates a global variable, and a new start of match check true/false on the variable. It's about the easiest addition a programmer could make outside of a skin or audio change (if the file was already made).

Adding it doesn't hurt anything. It would be unnoticeable as the people who would use it also aren't using emotes anyway.

Why not just slap it in as part of a later patch?

Or not. Again, doesn't affect me.

As far as I know there hasn't been any statement in the last few years as to why they're not implementing it or am I wrong? Just repeating that team 5 isn't planning on adding such a feature without giving a reason even though the community has been asking for it for years is pretty much the same as ignoring imo. Yeah, we get some lame "nothing has changed" statement every once in a while because otherwise people would go nuts, but I still have no idea why Blizzard is so against it - that is pretty much ignoring, just in a more image-friendly way.

Please, feel free to correct/inform me if there has been given a reason, I'm not that active on the forums and reddit so I might've missed it.