Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 184 Next
Auto squelch is the biggest thing missing from the game for me. Forgetting to squelch an opponent and then getting mocked and BMed by her makes me not want to play. I my experience the emotes are most often used to grief other players. I would love to never have to deal with that again
06/22/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Jesse Hill
I don't particularly have a stance on the topic one way or the other

Well, since you brought it up... really? You have no opinion at all on the issue? With all you've read on all sides? I could understand you not being in the camp of, "We shouldn't have auto-squelch because X, Y, Z" or the camp of "We need auto-squelch because of A, B, C." But at the very least, you'd be in the camp of "I don't care, since it doesn't affect me, so... why not I guess."

But if it's something else, such as, "I have an opinion, but would prefer not to interject it for fear that it might move the discussion in a way that might skew the player feedback we are looking for," then that would be understandable.

But if you can share, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the issue.
06/22/2018 02:17 PMPosted by globalist
Just how difficult is it to squelch manually?

Not difficult. But it's not just clicking the hero and clicking squelch-- it's clicking the hero and clicking squelch every single match. It's tedious and we're asking for a simple QoL enhancement to make it so we can set it once and leave it alone. Further, on mobile devices (which is my platform almost exclusively), the squelch falls off on it's own far too often. So we end up having to squelch multiple times per game.
I'm curious if your sign up age is in the algorithm of who you face?

because i find it hard to and have no need to squelch. Ladies and Gents.

#insidejob ;)
Its a few lines of code
People are already squelching religiously
What is the issue with implementing it??
I absolutely 100% support this. Last time I coming to forum was a year ago. But as soon as I heard there were gonna have auto-squelch, I got my a$$ right here immediately to show my support. So please please add this function in the next patch if it's possible.
I honestly dont think this is such a big deal not to add this very simple quality of life feature. Additionally, I also do not feel it id such a big deal to simply right click the auto squelch at the beginning of each match.

Either way is fine for me but I am a supporter of adding small quality of life features that are simple to implement and do not impact the gaming experience of any players.
06/22/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Skruff
06/22/2018 02:17 PMPosted by globalist
Just how difficult is it to squelch manually?

Not difficult. But it's not just clicking the hero and clicking squelch-- it's clicking the hero and clicking squelch every single match. It's tedious and we're asking for a simple QoL enhancement to make it so we can set it once and leave it alone. Further, on mobile devices (which is my platform almost exclusively), the squelch falls off on it's own far too often. So we end up having to squelch multiple times per game.

This. I play exclusively on my cell. And have to constantly squelch vs an anoyobot style opponent. I start with a greetings and try to be cordial. I wouldn't use an auto squelch or use it at start of every match. Just don't want to have to keep using it when they just won't stop with taunts or that's a mistake, etc.
1. Auto Squelch should be an option.

2. "Wow" emotes should be taken out and "I'm Sorry" should be put back in their place. Like HS used to be.

Why?

"Wow" emotes come off as more-frustrating at times. They enable the players to mock or emote "at" your opponent instead of emoting "about" yourself.

Nobody got annoyed by "I'm Sorry" compared to hearing "Wow" all game long. Make sense?

You have to look at why players don't like hearing emotes.
While there are a lot of reasons....its not that hard to analyze a few:
Two big reasons players don't-like-emotes and want auto-squelch are:

1. "Wow" emotes getting put in years ago and "Sorry" taken out. That was a huge mistake that made emoting more-arrogant. Period.

2. Meta-length / deck-predictability / perceived-deck difficulty. The game has 4 month metas. This is absolutely way too long. The more players get bored...the more they emote...the more frustrating the experience can become. 4 expansions per year was better than 3. Players want to play against non-predictable decks. Players also want to face decks they perceive to take more choices or skill than just curving-out-a-HSreplay or metadeck list.

Why does meta-length matter?
Predictability.

Why does predictability matter?
Having fun. For some / most HS players....they enjoy playing whats not already seen and predicted pre-cast. Why? Bc its incredibly-obvious deckbuilding did not go down....if an opponent is playing meta...they looked it up most likely...or are using the most powerful cards...this meta puzzles been solved...its common knowledge what are the highest WR cards...why prefer facing those over fresher feeling cards? That's the easiest path. So why would it be fun to face someone who chose the easy street instead of the harder path? Super-deep and super-true. Make sense?

How can you encourage unpredictability?
3-month metas is one way. If HS had 4 expansions per year like it used to (adventures I know...same point tho card-introductions)...personally I'd log-in and play 4 months out of the year. Maybe even spend money. 3 expansions per year...that's 3 month-1s of fun. It's not enough to want to buy packs because after 2 months there's seriously almost no fun in the game...everythings too-meta...too-predictable..so why pay for that? Taking that down a notch / having 4-expansions like HS used to have makes buying packs wayyyy more enticing.

So....
Put "Im Sorry" back in the emote-basket instead of "Wow"s. Please.
Make 4 expansions per year at 100 cards to keep the cost the same.
that keeps metas down to 3 months which makes less negative hearthstone months....so less negative / quantity of emotes come around.

Don't just add in auto-squelch...look at why ppl are getting frustrated with this game. "Im Sorry" being gone...and too-long metas...lack of deckbuilding being encouraged. What can you do to encourage uniqueness and deckbuilding? Can meta decks actually play differently per match instead of same-plan?

Put "im Sorry' back in the game instead of "wow".
HS used to be such a fun game back then with "im Sorry" and 4 card-changes per year instead of just 3 expansions with 4 month loooong metas. Metas are fun for 1-2 months...because of predictability / draw options to deckbuild / ability to mill / ability to interact w opponent etc

"Im Sorry" was always fun / more positive to hear / more funny to be sarcastic with.
"Wow" isn't as funny / cool to be sarcastic with. It gets read as negative...a lot.
"Wow" has never been cool. Its just annoying it was a mistake to make that change 2-3 years ago. Please respect this thank you.

Here's a great example:
Lets say im playing some meta deck....say Warlock.
Turn-3 comes and I slam down an 8/8 giant....a 'powerplay'...omg.
Opponent says: "Wow"
If "I'm Sorry" was back in HS like it used to be....
Opponent says: "I'm Sorry".

Well...."I'm Sorry" doesn't come off as mocking of my deck's meta-play.
Make sense? "Wow" is wayyyy too easy to basically mock anything your opponent does.
Which...is one of the major reasons ppl want Auto-Squelch.

To boot:
"I'm Sorry" has an actual non-sarcastic use.
Sometimes...players like to just say "hey, sorry RNG went my way...I am intelligent enough to understand RNG swung my way...i want to convey that to be polite..."
Make sense? "Wow" accomplishes none-of-this and really has no proactive / non-annoying use. BM is funny when it's clearly-sarcastic...like "I'm Sorry" would be used. "Wow" encourages BM and is too-difficult to be-obviously-sarcastic with. That's the problem with "wow" over "im sorry".

Thanks
Perhaps I have an alternate option that fills a need while avoiding potential downsides: set a pop-up toggle that is activated upon squelching X consecutive opponents within Y seconds of games starting.

So say upon your 10th opponent you get the usual “squelch” button and a second “continuous squelch” option. This keeps the UI free of option bloat and opens the perma-squelch to those who really want it and won’t even pop up for others.
If I can already manually squelch every single match without it destroying the game environment, then there's no good reason why a checkbox that toggles squelch permanently is going to affect it any differently.

Trolls already have no way to know if I'm squelching them. Auto-squelch won't change that.
Yes to auto squelch and its long overdue.
I have nothing against auto-squelch, although I find it a little bit sad.
But please, inform the player who's been squelched, otherwise it just seems plain rude.
06/23/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Ganesh
But please, inform the player who's been squelched, otherwise it just seems plain rude.

Rude you say...perhaps that's the entire problem?
06/23/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Ganesh

You are not informed with the current squelch system either. Do you feel insulted by everyone who isn't emoting to you now? If not then I don't see how anything would change by the squelch being automated. If yes then you have a separate concern that already applies to the game. Which is fine but off topic.
06/21/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Paf

The developers encourage people to meet face to face in fireside gatherings so it's safe to say the developers want the game to be community driven and social.

They put the emotes in there for a reason.

[/quote]
If blizz want to make the game social, they would already made Co-op mode with its own ladder and reward.

Instead, the most supported mode are PvP.
06/23/2018 03:01 AMPosted by Bluefin
Rude you say...perhaps that's the entire problem?

It's a part of the problem, at least. Another part being how easy we can get triggered by these emotes, in this video game. I'm not criticizing or discussing that.

06/23/2018 03:21 AMPosted by traja
You are not informed with the current squelch system either.

I know and I think it's an issue.
06/23/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Ganesh
06/23/2018 03:21 AMPosted by traja
You are not informed with the current squelch system either.

I know and I think it's an issue.

That is completely fair. I don't necessarily agree with it but it is not an unreasonable request at all. Still I think that it is a separate topic since it doesn't directly relate to how you are squelched.
It's a part of the problem, at least. Another part being how easy we can get triggered by these emotes, in this video game. I'm not criticizing or discussing that.

Not all people get upset at these and some of us (myself included) just doesn't like listening to them. Not everything about auto-squelch is about as you put it "triggered".....
06/23/2018 03:52 AMPosted by Nautika
Not everything about auto-squelch is about as you put it "triggered".....

It's not what I said or meant.
But you're right, it's important to underline it.