Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 69 70 71 184 Next
You just don't understand that some people don't like emotes of any kind cause they don't add anything at all for them to the game and just want to disable them?
08/22/2018 01:22 PMPosted by JoeRange
You just don't understand that some people don't like emotes of any kind cause they don't add anything at all for them to the game and just want to disable them?

I absolutely understand that. But it's not what I'm referring too.
08/18/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Skruff
08/17/2018 08:08 PMPosted by fingrknitter
Blizzard doesn't want people to elect out of what is already limited social features (i.e. one checkbox that determines if every opponent you meet is squelched);

1- People are already electing out every single time.
2- If they were so opposed to it, they would break the addon script that automates it.
3- You are suggesting reducing it from 2 clicks to one click, so it'll only be half as irritating? That really doesn't offer much of a QoL improvement.
4- It still leaves mobile users with the issue of having to squelch multiple times per game.

The conscious act of opting out is important, having to make that choice every time. If I could chose just once to live on an island and never socialize again I probably would right now. However, if I had to revisit that choice every day, I probably wouldn't end up choosing it over half the time. Making people opt out every time is reminding people that the emote feature even exists, because it is easy to say flip on whisper mode in SC2 and never get another message from an opposing player ever again, and because you don't get any, you are never reminded that the feature to communicate with opponents even exists.

You say 'break the add on script' as if it is a trivial task, that doesn't take time and $$$. Automation of user actions can be hard to safeguard against. In many cases the only way to do so is to detect the speed and put people up for ban review. How silly does it sound to ban people over squelch automation? I don't think they oppose it enough to consider that as an option (I'm just spitballing here).

Not just to be half as irritating, but it also helps to remind people TO squelch in the first place. From experience, I might be on a loss streak and I'm in no mood to get bm'ed by another 35% winrate mechathun priest who got lucky, but I forget to squelch them -- this happens frequently. If that bubble appeared at the beginning of the match I would not only NEVER have that happen again, but yeah it is also a lot easier.

For your last point, this will just have to be a matter of opinion, since that is not worth to me implementing an auto squelch (and I play often in a disconnect prone environment). Now, coding the squelched command to be persistent through disconnects I imagine to be fairly feasible as in I think it has a lower chance of changing the rest of the game architecture for a mundane feature (as opposed to automation detection for autosquelchers).
08/22/2018 01:59 PMPosted by fingrknitter
Making people opt out every time is reminding people that the emote feature even exists

So what? I'm not interested in using the emote feature with strangers. I might use it with a RL friend. And in those cases, I'd be perfectly comfortable taking the extra step to untoggle my auto-squelch.

08/22/2018 01:59 PMPosted by fingrknitter
How silly does it sound to ban people over squelch automation? I don't think they oppose it enough to consider that as an option

Precisely. So the whole argument that Blizzard is concerned that auto-squelch might reduce overall emote usage is invalid.
08/22/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Right
rampant BM. Like incessant, constant...

Again, you don't understand the case for auto squelch. I don't think there is incessant constant emote spamming. I've never said that. But the negative, teasing emotes are so upsetting to me that it ruins my game experience. So I squelch at the start of the match to avoid the possibility of encountering one. Why does it bother you so that I'd want an easier, more convenient way to do what I'm already doing?
Dear blizzard, how long I have to squelch in every single games?
08/22/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Skruff
08/22/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Right
rampant BM. Like incessant, constant...

Again, you don't understand the case for auto squelch. I don't think there is incessant constant emote spamming. I've never said that. But the negative, teasing emotes are so upsetting to me that it ruins my game experience. So I squelch at the start of the match to avoid the possibility of encountering one. Why does it bother you so that I'd want an easier, more convenient way to do what I'm already doing?

Do you deny people make these claims?

I'm not speaking for anyone, I am just reading this thread.

Me pointing out what has been stated isn't my opinion.

Feel free to go back and read the thread again.

BM and its frequency are the driving force for the AS argument.

It doesn't mean it's the only one.

There are many good arguments for AS

All I was doing is wondering where people are gathering this incessant BM notion from. (do you not see that people say this?)

Even you say it isn't entirely true.
So, is this thread going to lead to something or is it just there to distract invested players so that the devs can have their peace from people asking for the feature? At this point, the discussion has gone everywhere.
No one compliments this game (or has a more enjoyable time) because of emotes; however, there are a lot of people that get annoyed by it.

Not sure why this has been a dilemma for so long.

No one is staying around because of emotes, but people may possibly stop playing for that reason (whether valid or not). Seems like an easy decision for me.
08/23/2018 08:39 AMPosted by The1Drummer
No one compliments this game (or has a more enjoyable time) because of emotes; however, there are a lot of people that get annoyed by it.

No one is staying around because of emotes, but people may possibly stop playing for that reason (whether valid or not). Seems like an easy decision for me.

I think this is a good game. One of the reasons is I enjoy 2 player games.

One of the ways I know I am playing a human is the timing of the emotes.

There have been many fun games that have been enhanced when both players recognize a "crazy thing just happened" and there is a simultaneous emoting of "Astounding!" and "Amazing!"

I like this game partly because of the emotes and the 2 player system.
08/23/2018 07:31 AMPosted by MonkeyCheez
So, is this thread going to lead to something or is it just there to distract invested players so that the devs can have their peace from people asking for the feature? At this point, the discussion has gone everywhere.

Second, I feel like at this point you should know if you're going to include it or not.
It's just such clear evidence of decision-making power resting with some marketing person who's like, "The theme is goofy cartoons and we need to maintain that image" rather than someone who's invested in optimizing the game. If we want HS to be taken seriously and be a legitimate e-sport, this is exactly the sort of stuff that makes that less likely. There's not a big buzzer that the opposing team can mash while somebody's shooting free throws or taking a corner kick. We're trying to be the NBA, not Takeshi's Castle. I feel like this is such a point of pain because the HS leadership doesn't seem to wanna take stewardship of the game as a serious competitive endeavor and it frankly sucks that it falls to the player base, who is then rebuffed with silent unwillingness to discuss a pretty clear problem. You made a game that can be the real deal and attract top-level competitive talent in the same way chess does. You did the hard part. Let's clean it up and move it out of the back yard now.
There's enough interest alone in this thread to implement an OPTION for auto squelch.

Tally up the fors and against here and the scale is tipped HEAVILY in one direction.
08/24/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Paneross
There's enough interest alone in this thread to implement an OPTION for auto squelch.

Tally up the fors and against here and the scale is tipped HEAVILY in one direction.

Blizzard does not care about their customers. They'll only play nice when another company starts eating their lunch. I'm really looking forward to the panic and quality of life changes that are bound to occur when that happens. Expect some major improvements late this year or early next year. Out of the goodness of their hearts of course.
08/23/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Right
where people are gathering this incessant BM notion from

Some may see more than you. You may see negative emotes and not consider them BM. And perhaps some are using hyperbole to accentuate their point. In my experience, hyperbole hasn't been a very effective way to influence developers, but so what? That has no bearing on the argument that auto-squelch would be a great convenience for those of us who really dislike the emotes and are choosing to "opt out" by squelching every match and would have no negative impact whatsoever on any other player.
08/23/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Right
08/23/2018 08:39 AMPosted by The1Drummer

I think this is a good game. One of the reasons is I enjoy 2 player games.

One of the ways I know I am playing a human is the timing of the emotes.

There have been many fun games that have been enhanced when both players recognize a "crazy thing just happened" and there is a simultaneous emoting of "Astounding!" and "Amazing!"

I like this game partly because of the emotes and the 2 player system.

None of that is impacted by the implementation of auto squelch.
08/23/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Paf
08/23/2018 09:17 AMPosted by TOOMGIS
You cry about this? Feelings hurt in pvp murder death kill game?

Shot to face much good murder friend.

Shot to heart can not be handled.

This is exactly the sort of trolling that Jesse has asked not be vomited into this thread. Let's try to keep the discussion to the issue not the personalities.