Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 70 71 72 184 Next
It takes literally 1 second to squelch theres no need to implement an auto squelch.
Emotes are really just a distraction. I squelch opponent every game at turn 1. I had played couple thousands games and every single game i had to do this manually. And this is frustrating as hell.

I don't care about flavor.
I don't care about being polite.
I don't care about (place there any reason why you may want to emote me)

I just want auto-squelch. To turn it on once and for all.
08/26/2018 06:47 AMPosted by MOAR
It takes literally 1 second to squelch theres no need to implement an auto squelch.

Would people kindly stop spewing this nonsense around? What some people want is what you describe; a 1-second, once-and-done option.

What we ACTUALLY have is a scenario where you have to go to the options everytime you start a match to set your preferences. 1 second is getting added to other 1 seconds to form a big pile of nuisance.

Imagine starting up the game and having to go to the options for your literal "1 second" every single time to set the resolution, and it would be still better as it would count for the session, and not for a single match.
Yes "auto-squelch" please, people don't often end the game, then they will constantly emote you "Greetings, Greetings, Greetings" before they lethal you... it's just abused to much... like insult to injury.
08/26/2018 05:58 AMPosted by Skruff
This is exactly the sort of trolling that Jesse has asked not be vomited into this thread. Let's try to keep the discussion to the issue not the personalities.

Hey... The comeback was pretty funny though...
08/26/2018 10:16 AMPosted by MonkeyCheez

Would people kindly stop spewing this nonsense around? What some people want is what you describe; a 1-second, once-and-done option.

What we ACTUALLY have is a scenario where you have to go to the options everytime you start a match to set your preferences. 1 second is getting added to other 1 seconds to form a big pile of nuisance.

Imagine starting up the game and having to go to the options for your literal "1 second" every single time to set the resolution, and it would be still better as it would count for the session, and not for a single match.

Most of you have spent more time in this thread than you will ever spend squelching. Oh the irony
08/26/2018 05:14 PMPosted by MOAR

Most of you have spent more time in this thread than you will ever spend squelching. Oh the irony

Trying to be witty just to distract from your faulty logic, and with false equivalence, as the time spend in this thread is not comparable in duration nor value to the time spent squelching in the game.
I disagree BUT I think their should be a toggle option, I.e., checkmark the box if you would like to auto-squelch on, if its un-checked you dont auto-squelch, so that it goes both ways.

Edit: If I get downvoted I will not be suprised
I'm in favor of auto squelching.

To me, the issue is about tilt primarily, and distraction and visual clutter secondarily.

Tilt raises the question: Do the devs feel tilt is a valid tactic to use against your opponent? I argue it is not. The ability to tilt someone should not be a crutch or even a supplement for skill.

[Edit: nonsense]

The other point about distraction is easier to make. Even if I assume everyone is emoting with good intentions, it's still a distraction. Someone greets me and I think, that's nice, but I'm trying to plan my first few plays, and now I've wasted two seconds looking at your chat bubble. Even if it's well intended and not about tilt, it's still distracting.
08/26/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Windfeather
As precedent, devs removed the ability to add friends with the last person you played. Some people used this to harass others, effectively trying to tilt them and cause future losses. The devs found this unacceptable enough to remove it. I know you can't insult with emotes, but tilt is tilt.

Citation required. It still works for me, they just changed HOW you do it.
I'm in favor of auto squelching.

To me, the issue is about tilt primarily, and distraction and visual clutter secondarily.

Tilt raises the question: Do the devs feel tilt is a valid tactic to use against your opponent? I argue it is not. The ability to tilt someone should not be a crutch or even a supplement for skill.

As precedent, devs removed the ability to add friends with the last person you played. Some people used this to harass others, effectively trying to tilt them and cause future losses. The devs found this unacceptable enough to remove it. I know you can't insult with emotes, but tilt is tilt.

If tilting after the fact is unacceptable, why is tilting in game acceptable? To take harassment out of the picture, here is a thought experiment. Instead of being able to chat after a game, what if all you could have done was emote the last player for a brief period. I submit even that ability would have been removed.

The other point about distraction is easier to make. Even if I assume everyone is emoting with good intentions, it's still a distraction. Someone greets me and I think, that's nice, but I'm trying to plan my first few plays, and now I've wasted two seconds looking at your chat bubble. Even if it's well intended and not about tilt, it's still distracting.
lol they didnt remove the ability to add friends from the last game you played.
I haven't posted much in this discussion, but I've been been trying to narrow down why even the idea of manually squelching each game bothers me. With regards to emotes I tend to have one of two experiences on a given day.

1) I'm in a mood where they don't bother me, and even perceived BM from my opponent is more humorous than anything.

2) I'm in a bad mood (stressful day perhaps) and emotes drive me crazy.

Case 1 is no problem obviously and that's the majority of my play time, but on days where I don't feel like dealing with people emoting it's a really strong source of irritation. Even thinking about my opponent hypothetically emoting bothers me on those days, and manually squelching every opponent just ends up being a repetitive reminder of it. The squelching of each opponent just makes me think about all of the things about emotes that drive me crazy and in the end isn't any less irritating.

So yea, I'm human. I have bad days and I generally like that Hearthstone lets me step away from things for a few minutes and think about something else. I've installed the deck tracker auto-squelch thing and I don't even have to think about it anymore. I enjoy my play time more on my rare bad days.

I can't say auto-squelch "needs" to be implemented, but for me the game ends up being occasionally, but significantly, more enjoyable with it as an option. I'd be fine with needing to turn it on each time I start Hearthstone, but I'd rather not play than have to manually squelch people every match.

That's just my perspective. Hope it helps.
08/26/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Swampy

What did I miss while I was away?

Thought you couldn't do this anymore.
08/26/2018 09:27 PMPosted by Windfeather

Nah, you can still do it, they just changed how to do so.

Open friend list
Click the > up top
Select add last played (?)
Invite gets sent.

Its something like that anyway, not in game atm to provide more accurate details, but its pretty close. So, the add recent opponent function wasnt removed, let alone for the reasons you earlier stated, making your whole argument rather fallacious.
08/26/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Aertew
I disagree BUT I think their should be a toggle option, I.e., checkmark the box if you would like to auto-squelch on, if its un-checked you dont auto-squelch, so that it goes both ways.

Edit: If I get downvoted I will not be suprised

Not at all,,this is what several people said that they want de, me included, i don't want that everyone are forced to start with autosquelch, but a toggle option to turn it on so you can use it or not
08/26/2018 09:27 PMPosted by Windfeather

They changed how you do it a while back, but it was never taken out. The change is actually annoying because if I just played a priest and I play against another priest I want to check the last person I played to see if it's the same guy to better prepare.

So Blizzard, autosquelch and revert "The last person played" back to what it was.

It take literally 1 second to mute the sound, no need to implement a permanent way to keep it mute every game. Let people decide every game and mute the sound every match.

Anonymous mode, sure but you need to do it every game now. It take just 1 second.

Graphic preference, same take a second so let ask the user to decide every match.

I say no setup is permanent in the game from now on and factory reset every match up. Then let's see how many people will complain about all those "It take just 1 second to setup" that don't stay on or off.
08/26/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Skruff
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I think this is a good game. One of the reasons is I enjoy 2 player games.

One of the ways I know I am playing a human is the timing of the emotes.

There have been many fun games that have been enhanced when both players recognize a "crazy thing just happened" and there is a simultaneous emoting of "Astounding!" and "Amazing!"

I like this game partly because of the emotes and the 2 player system.

None of that is impacted by the implementation of auto squelch.

Actually, everything I wrote is affected by my opponent squelching me.

Yes, I get it, you would have squelched me ANYWAY. AND if I qued into you...what I wrote above, the enjoyable aspects of the game, would be nullified.

TLDR: Skruff, you're no fun to play with. AND...

You don't know the residual effects of adding a perma squelch option. You have no idea the environment that would result if this feature were added.

I understand those of you who have a compulsion to squelch every match will not behave any differently except have your lives made easier. No one cares what you do.

It's your influence over others, or the ease of shunning your opponent that I'm concerned about.

You and your group want to behave a certain way, fine, do it over there. But don't add a feature that can encourage people to give others the automatic silent treatment, it's just rude in itself.

And I honestly don't know how you don't know that giving another person the silent treatment isn't rude in itself. You squelching every match is BM in itself.

Yet, you all claim you have seen "no good reason from the opposing side".

I'm giving you one. Manually squelching every match is BM. It's rude and antisocial, it's JUST as rude as the morons who spam emotes. You're spamming silence and giving me the finger even before we play the 1st card, just in case I'm a jerk. It's rude. Wait till the opponent spams some crap, then squelch him. "But then it;s too late!" Too late for WHAT? Did you have some massive endorphin dump and cortisol burst that debilitated you because a jerk emoted you?

Auto Squelch is automating your already manual BM and goes against the 2 player environment the game is based on. No one want you to get harassed or BM'ed, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying no way is BM that frequent that you HAVE TO squelch every match, you're CHOOSING TO JUST IN CASE.

The manual squelch button is suitable to handle the infrequent jerks in this game, and you know it.

Edit: If I'm so far off base, why hasn't it been implemented? I doubt technical reasons or options bloat...it's Blizzard...they add a new hero to HOTS bi-weekly, they can add a button to a UI... Hmmm.... so I doubt that the small indie has difficulty with video game adjustments. Must be some other reason...
08/27/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Right

Edit: If I'm so far off base, why hasn't it been implemented? I doubt technical reasons or options bloat...it's Blizzard...they add a new hero to HOTS bi-weekly, they can add a button to a UI... Hmmm.... so I doubt that the small indie has difficulty with video game adjustments. Must be some other reason...

You may be far off base with the anti-social comments/silent treatment. This is not a social game and is barely a PvP game. That being said, we ALL want to know the reason for not implementing auto-squelch.
As much as I am for auto squelch, perhaps one of the first steps to try could just be to update the manual squelch to not fall off from a mobile connection hiccup in game? that seems logical and like the intended behavior of squelch in the first place...