Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 72 73 74 184 Next
This is the first time I came to the hearthstone forums I believe.
And the reason for that is because 5 players in a row spammed their emotes when they were winning.
I usually don't get tilted about HS, but when people BM me after they win just really grinds my gears. And of course I am human as well, so I always forget to squelch my opponents.
P L E A S E just add the auto-squelch to the game... Why does this take so long in a game like hearthstone?
90% of the people use their emotes to BM, and not because they are amazed how well you played that game...
If any game, Hearthstone definitely doesn't need a communication system.. I don't really know why this isn't in the game already...
I support it.
08/27/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Right
Manually squelching every match is BM. It's rude and antisocial,

I get that you feel that way. You're saying good morning to someone on the bus and they keep their head in the newspaper or their phone. But auto-squelch doesn't change any of that. All it would do is make it easier for people to do what their are already doing. All it would do it allow us to maintain a setting, just like the language or volume or graphic resolution setting. A person who would ignore you now will ignore you with auto-squelch implemented.

You don't know the residual effects of adding a perma squelch option. You have no idea the environment that would result if this feature were added.

The only negative result that anyone presented that had reasoning behind it was the niche case where someone activated auto-squelch and forgot about it and left it on before finally realizing it. One possible solution to that would be causing squelch to de-activate automatically if you emote at your opponent, i.e. if you press and emote, they get unsquelched.

why hasn't it been implemented?

I'm pretty sure we've been asking that question for years in hundreds of threads and thousands upon thousands of posts. Hence... this thread.
08/27/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Shelzin
This squelch doesn't do anything to chat, it stops the emotes from happening.

This is absolutely wrong. Squelch does NOT stop the emotes from happening. All it does is make them not display to your opponent. The emote still happens on the emoters side of the board.
08/29/2018 12:02 PMPosted by justoh
auto squelch would essentially kill it.

How? Please explain how you came to this conclusion.
08/29/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Zenkai
[quote]
[quote="207662601102"]They shouldn't (and probably won't) implement an auto-squelch feature as it would discourage use of the emoting system. We can't have this chilling effect.

And I would argue the emoting system is needless and adds nothing to the game.

In World of Warcraft, a game designed around being social. I can turn off all forms of chat. Yet a game that requires no social interaction I am forced to turn off emotes on every games?

Makes sense.
AGAIN...

CHAT is ALREADY off in Hearthstone. UNLIKE WoW you have to enable chat. It's not automatically on.

We aren't talking about CHAT. Chat is not equal to EMOTING.

This is not an intelligent point to make when trying to justify yourself. It's hard to take it seriously when the comparison is so out of whack.

I say this while supporting just wanting to have AS as a function, regardless of the reason. Sure, get in here and put your check on which box you support for or against a AS...

But for the love of god if you aren't going to think about the stance you are taking just make the tick. Don't try to justify it... You don't need to.

The fact how triggered you get over this topic is proof enough why we need this function. It's also sad you can't comprehend what people are saying.

Illogical arguments by otherwise seemingly intelligent people do in fact trigger me. It's true.
08/29/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Skruff
08/27/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Shelzin
This squelch doesn't do anything to chat, it stops the emotes from happening.

This is absolutely wrong. Squelch does NOT stop the emotes from happening. All it does is make them not display to your opponent. The emote still happens on the emoters side of the board.

What?

Well ignoring someone in chat doesn't stop them from typing either... It just stops you from being able to see it.

Perhaps I'm missing something that you are trying to convey???

Edit: Keep in mind that the context is important. I would hope that you take that into account.

I'm going to treat you like you are intelligent even if you don't act like it. I'm not a troll, in the traditional sense anyway, you aren't going to get me upset and make mistakes. That's what I'm going to do to you if you continue like this.

Heads up. Fair warning.
Jesse, I have something important I would like to share with you and the community. I thank you for reading what I have to say.

Jesse, I have read through in entirety your posts within this thread. I can tell by the way you present yourself that you are a decent, strong minded person with good values and have a good moral compass. I can sense leadership in the way you speak, confidence, and above all, a presence of authority.

Now, I don't know you from a bar of soap, but I am pretty good at sensing a persons qualities just from how they communicate, whether in speech or writing.

Let me quickly just jump to something about the Devs / Team 5 or what have you. Team 5 are not Gods. What I mean is that they should not have sole authority when it comes to decisions like this. Community Managers like yourself should have at the very least equal power when it comes to things like this, and not be solely what this illusive "Team 5" believe. Yes, they can have their opinion, but they aren't very good or clear at expressing it, as if they don't want to.

The higher ups at Blizzard, of course, want their products and services to be financially profitable, and also want profits which are easily projected to be sustained into the foreseeable future. A happy community - happy customers: happy to open their wallets.

So why not have someone - who has power and authority within the company - in charge of making sure the community is looked after when it comes to these things like user-interface improvements and little conveniences - things outside of the core game play. Blizzard should grant a position to work alongside the devs both equal in authority and influence.

You could be that someone Jesse.

Now is your time! This is where you step in! This is where you take charge and become a true leader this community desperately needs - a strong leader. Someone who will march fearlessly into the devs offices and be like:

"OK guys, my community strongly feels that this would improve the user experience and enjoyability of the game."

And if they deny to accommodate on implementations and additions that the community are strongly for and which fall under common sense, that's where you step in and be like:

"JUST REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! I am Jesse Hill, Leader of the Hearthstone Community, and let me remind you it is my job and responsibility to make sure my peoples best interest are kept in mind. This is something that the community has urgently wanted implemented for far too long now and frustrations are growing out of hand. I want it implemented and working by 5:00PM tomorrow. Are we clear?

This makes perfect sense to me. I'm not an expert when it comes to business, but I feel it makes perfect business sense as well.

Who knows, maybe even the birth of a legend. Years from now they could be saying:

"If they ever tell my story, let them say that I walked with giants.
Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die.
Let them say I lived in the time of Samwise Didier - tamer of pandas.
Let them say.. I lived in the time of.. Jesse Hill.
08/29/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Jakestar
Jesse, I have something important I would like to share with you and the community. I thank you for reading what I have to say.

Jesse, I have read through in entirety your posts within this thread. I can tell by the way you present yourself that you are a decent, strong minded person with good values and have a good moral compass. I can sense leadership in the way you speak, confidence, and above all, a presence of authority.

Now, I don't know you from a bar of soap, but I am pretty good at sensing a persons qualities just from how they communicate, whether in speech or writing.

Let me quickly just jump to something about the Devs / Team 5 or what have you. Team 5 are not Gods. What I mean is that they should not have sole authority when it comes to decisions like this. Community Managers like yourself should have at the very least equal power when it comes to things like this, and not be solely what this illusive "Team 5" believe. Yes, they can have their opinion, but they aren't very good or clear at expressing it, as if they don't want to.

The higher ups at Blizzard, of course, want their products and services to be financially profitable, and also want profits which are easily projected to be sustained into the foreseeable future. A happy community - happy customers: happy to open their wallets.

So why not have someone - who has power and authority within the company - in charge of making sure the community is looked after when it comes to these things like user-interface improvements and little conveniences - things outside of the core game play. Blizzard should grant a position to work alongside the devs both equal in authority and influence.

You could be that someone Jesse.

Now is your time! This is where you step in! This is where you take charge and become a true leader this community desperately needs - a strong leader. Someone who will march fearlessly into the devs offices and be like:

"OK guys, my community strongly feels that this would improve the user experience and enjoyability of the game."

And if they deny to accommodate on implementations and additions that the community are strongly for and which fall under common sense, that's where you step in and be like:

"JUST REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! I am Jesse Hill, Leader of the Hearthstone Community, and let me remind you it is my job and responsibility to make sure my peoples best interest are kept in mind. This is something that the community has urgently wanted implemented for far too long now and frustrations are growing out of hand. I want it implemented and working by 5:00PM tomorrow. Are we clear?

This makes perfect sense to me. I'm not an expert when it comes to business, but I feel it makes perfect business sense as well.

Who knows, maybe even the birth of a legend. Years from now they could be saying:

Let them say I lived in the time of Samwise Didier - tamer of pandas.
Let them say.. I lived in the time of.. Jesse Hill.

The forums are probably a 10 second conversation in a weekly meeting. It would probably be an awkward moment if the community manager stood up in the meeting and demanded action.
What I mean is that they should not have sole authority when it comes to decisions like this.

Yes, they should. They have sole authority on ALL decisions.
08/29/2018 09:25 PMPosted by Mand
What I mean is that they should not have sole authority when it comes to decisions like this.

I wouldnt say sole authority, but they should certainly have the final say. Only need to look at this thread for reasons why... 1500 posts, yet the vast majority come from the same few guys...

Im not against AS, but its a very vocal handful of people whom are passionate about it that has made this the highest post count threads in the history of these forums and, yes, that does need to be accounted for prior to making any decisions based on this thread in a vacuum.
Let them
say I lived in the time of Samwise Didier - tamer of pandas.
Let them say.. I lived in the time of.. Jesse Hill. [/i]

The conference roiled with smoke, each member of Team 5 seated behind a small panel. They stared fixedly at one another, each waiting, waiting for the perfect moment.

As one, their hands flew to the panels in front of them, each mashing a button.

WOW
WELL PLAYED
THANKS
GREETINGS
SORRY

Each panel emitted a different sound effect, complete with small placards. The smell of smoke filled the room.

"What's that?" asked one, breaking the silence of another Emote Duel.

One of them called time out, inspecting the smoke marks on the ceiling.

"I left the Midsummer Festival beta test on, Sorry."

"Speaking of Sorry, didn't we remove that one?"

"Yes... I'm thinking of putting it back in!"

Mad laughter filled the room, everyone in on the joke, the secret plan to make tilted players buy more cards because they needed to beat their emoting opponents as quickly as possible.

"NOT SO FAST!" came the cry from the conference room doorway. Also, there was a loud NEIGH sound.

Sitting astride his white horse, armor resplendent, replica +5 Light's Justice Of Silencing across his shoulder, was the only man who could stop this callous and dastardly cabal.

Jesse Hill

What are you doing up here, Jesse? Is everything okay? Are you feeling alright? How did you get a horse up here???, the questions were many.

Jesse ignored them all, riding around the room and dealing one sound blow to each of the Master Emote Panels, leaving them in shards on the conference table.

"Hang on, that's not okay. You've been doing a good job with the forums, but this is frankly weird and outside the scope of your job..."

Swoosh.

Flying across the room at Team Member 4's face, was something white and oval shaped... with a smack, the sticker affixed itself to the designer's mouth. "AUTO SQUELCHED" was inscribed on the oval of sticky tape, and the Team member attempted to remove it in vain.

""JUST REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! I am Jesse Hill, Leader of the Hearthstone Community, and let me remind you it is my job and responsibility to make sure my peoples best interest are kept in mind. This is something that the community has urgently wanted implemented for far too long now and frustrations are growing out of hand. I want it implemented and working by 5:00PM tomorrow. Are we clear?"

"Well, no, you're going to have to head down to human resources, Jesse. Do you want us to call someone to come get you, actually?"

"ARE YOU SAYING THE PEOPLE'S WILL WILL BE IGNORED?" Thundered Jesse.

"It's just that, socially, emotes are a big part of the branding, and we have legitimate concerns about creative process, art assets, we couldn't get the BUTTON designed into the interface and through quality assurance by 5 pm tomorrow, and that's even if we were inclined to listen to you on a matter outside your expertise and-"

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

"Yeah, security? We need you upstairs."

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

"The other concern is, it isn't really 'the whole community', its a few isolated members, some of whom post three or four times in sequence,padding their apparent count, frankly the thread has been a train wreck."

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

The final Team 5 member considered his options as a hammer-wielding Jesse descended atop his warhorse.

Team Member 1 reached out and pushed the small golden button labeled "Roll Out and Implement Auto Squelch using Assets We've Had Ready for Years, Seamlessly and to Universal Acclaim"

The game activated its prepatched assets in seconds. Everyone would reboot to find a brief tutorial on Auto Squelch on their screens, and also a list of the names of every Brave Hero who ever proposed it, stood up for it, or downvoted someone who dared oppose Auto Squelch For All.

"There, Jesse, are you happy? You can go now. right?" asked the game designer, looking around at his best friends and colleagues frantically trying to remove the adhesive batarang-like Auto Squelch Patches from their mouths, to no avail.

"Not quite," declared Jesse, hefting one of the ovals and hurling it with perfect accuracy.

The final Team Member fell to the floor, unconscious from the righteous indignation of a community, finally fulfilled.

And Then Everyone Applauded.
08/29/2018 03:47 PMPosted by freezy
This is the first time I came to the hearthstone forums I believe.
And the reason for that is because 5 players in a row spammed their emotes when they were winning.
I usually don't get tilted about HS, but when people BM me after they win just really grinds my gears. And of course I am human as well, so I always forget to squelch my opponents.
P L E A S E just add the auto-squelch to the game... Why does this take so long in a game like hearthstone?
90% of the people use their emotes to BM, and not because they are amazed how well you played that game...
If any game, Hearthstone definitely doesn't need a communication system.. I don't really know why this isn't in the game already...
I support it.

Last night I had a "well played" from a rogue who had me at 3 hp by turn 5, and that triggered me enough to rope him.

I felt bad afterwards because I was really just angry at the circumstances. You start the game thinking, "sigh, another odd rogue, 1-9, so I just concede? Nah, there's a sliver of hope. Let's make it 2-9!. Threatened me each turn and "well played" on the start of my turn 5.

It's not necessarily the case that my opponent is some malevolent monster. He's just some dude, probably, playing odd rogue. I wouldn't want to begrudge him of a little emote fun. I don't know his mind.

Even if it is some psychopath behind the other screen (say he were playing Hunter, for example) the primary force behind my emotional reactions to their emoting is the game state.

So is it 1400 posts about a minor annoyance, or is it more about the feels? Feelings avoidance, like we see creeping throughout western society these days. There's something we don't like about others having fun at our expense, even when intent is ambiguous or even absent any malicious intent.

The creative team probably have some high-minded principles which will enable them to resist this awful trend. At least until wsj or someone publish an article exposing the serious cyber bullying going on in hs. "My 5-year-old's soul was repeatedly threatened!"
08/29/2018 06:21 PMPosted by Shelzin
Well ignoring someone in chat doesn't stop them from typing either... It just stops you from being able to see it.

Correct. I was merely trying to clarify since some may have misunderstood how squelch works. If you are squelched, it does not disable your emotes. You are still free to emote all you want. All that happens is the person who squelched you won't see or hear them, but you'd still be able to see and hear your own emotes.

I'm going to treat you like you are intelligent even if you don't act like it. I'm not a troll, in the traditional sense anyway, you aren't going to get me upset and make mistakes. That's what I'm going to do to you if you continue like this.

Heads up. Fair warning.

Why the hostility? There's no need for threats.

Correct. I was merely trying to clarify since some may have misunderstood how squelch works. If you are squelched, it does not disable your emotes. You are still free to emote all you want. All that happens is the person who squelched you won't see or hear them, but you'd still be able to see and hear your own emotes.

The context in which it was said is important. Meaning you don't see said emotes anymore. That's what the whole thread is about. There was no point to that distinction.

As we both agree... obviously. Or do you believe there is actually someone out there who thinks that because they muted/ignored someone in chat that suddenly they couldn't chat anymore?

Edit: Or were you trying to bring up the topic again about an Auto-Squelch making it to where you also could not emote during the game? Because if that is what you were trying to do then by all means lets talk about that. But don't take something else out of context to bring it back up... Just say so. /Edit

Heads up. Fair warning.

Why the hostility? There's no need for threats.

It wasn't a threat. Or, it wasn't meant as a threat. I was telling you what was going to happen should what I perceive as intentional obtuseness for the sake of just doing it continues to happen. I have been wrong before mind you, maybe I am again... But I doubt it.
I've just moved on already. It's been a month since the expansion, and we haven't heard anything. Haven't even touched the game or forums in almost two weeks, more because the new semester started up than anything else, but when I do have time to play, I'm playing something else (Currently, Two Point Hospital). After almost 24 years, Blizzard has finally convinced me to stop giving them money completely.

It's mostly been a blast. Y'all have fun now.
08/29/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Jabberwock
Let them
say I lived in the time of Samwise Didier - tamer of pandas.
Let them say.. I lived in the time of.. Jesse Hill. [/i]

The conference roiled with smoke, each member of Team 5 seated behind a small panel. They stared fixedly at one another, each waiting, waiting for the perfect moment.

As one, their hands flew to the panels in front of them, each mashing a button.

WOW
WELL PLAYED
THANKS
GREETINGS
SORRY

Each panel emitted a different sound effect, complete with small placards. The smell of smoke filled the room.

"What's that?" asked one, breaking the silence of another Emote Duel.

One of them called time out, inspecting the smoke marks on the ceiling.

"I left the Midsummer Festival beta test on, Sorry."

"Speaking of Sorry, didn't we remove that one?"

"Yes... I'm thinking of putting it back in!"

Mad laughter filled the room, everyone in on the joke, the secret plan to make tilted players buy more cards because they needed to beat their emoting opponents as quickly as possible.

"NOT SO FAST!" came the cry from the conference room doorway. Also, there was a loud NEIGH sound.

Sitting astride his white horse, armor resplendent, replica +5 Light's Justice Of Silencing across his shoulder, was the only man who could stop this callous and dastardly cabal.

Jesse Hill

What are you doing up here, Jesse? Is everything okay? Are you feeling alright? How did you get a horse up here???, the questions were many.

Jesse ignored them all, riding around the room and dealing one sound blow to each of the Master Emote Panels, leaving them in shards on the conference table.

"Hang on, that's not okay. You've been doing a good job with the forums, but this is frankly weird and outside the scope of your job..."

Swoosh.

Flying across the room at Team Member 4's face, was something white and oval shaped... with a smack, the sticker affixed itself to the designer's mouth. "AUTO SQUELCHED" was inscribed on the oval of sticky tape, and the Team member attempted to remove it in vain.

""JUST REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! I am Jesse Hill, Leader of the Hearthstone Community, and let me remind you it is my job and responsibility to make sure my peoples best interest are kept in mind. This is something that the community has urgently wanted implemented for far too long now and frustrations are growing out of hand. I want it implemented and working by 5:00PM tomorrow. Are we clear?"

"Well, no, you're going to have to head down to human resources, Jesse. Do you want us to call someone to come get you, actually?"

"ARE YOU SAYING THE PEOPLE'S WILL WILL BE IGNORED?" Thundered Jesse.

"It's just that, socially, emotes are a big part of the branding, and we have legitimate concerns about creative process, art assets, we couldn't get the BUTTON designed into the interface and through quality assurance by 5 pm tomorrow, and that's even if we were inclined to listen to you on a matter outside your expertise and-"

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

"Yeah, security? We need you upstairs."

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

"The other concern is, it isn't really 'the whole community', its a few isolated members, some of whom post three or four times in sequence,padding their apparent count, frankly the thread has been a train wreck."

AUTO SQUELCHED, THWACK!

The final Team 5 member considered his options as a hammer-wielding Jesse descended atop his warhorse.

Team Member 1 reached out and pushed the small golden button labeled "Roll Out and Implement Auto Squelch using Assets We've Had Ready for Years, Seamlessly and to Universal Acclaim"

The game activated its prepatched assets in seconds. Everyone would reboot to find a brief tutorial on Auto Squelch on their screens, and also a list of the names of every Brave Hero who ever proposed it, stood up for it, or downvoted someone who dared oppose Auto Squelch For All.

"There, Jesse, are you happy? You can go now. right?" asked the game designer, looking around at his best friends and colleagues frantically trying to remove the adhesive batarang-like Auto Squelch Patches from their mouths, to no avail.

"Not quite," declared Jesse, hefting one of the ovals and hurling it with perfect accuracy.

The final Team Member fell to the floor, unconscious from the righteous indignation of a community, finally fulfilled.

And Then Everyone Applauded.

Jabberwock that was freaking amazing hahah ^_^ oh man you literally had me laughing out loud! I love your dramatic timing man.

Literally made my week - and I needed that. Thank you :)
08/29/2018 09:25 PMPosted by Mand

Woosh
Is there anyway we can get the stats published about emote usage, i'm assuming there are stats?

It could put much needed information and perspective into the discussion.
This thread is a joke...
73 pages of people requesting this little feature and nothing has been done yet. For me It's a representation of Blizzards(Activisions) respect for the community.