Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 73 74 75 184 Next
Small point but the number of posters on here pales into insignificance when placed against the amount of (eg) Chinese players who don't seem to be able to go more than a minute without emoting. On the Asian realm it seems like emoting and gamesmanship is half the fun to them. Sometimes more. Or maybe it is just because my name is in Latin characters and there is some racism issue as I seem to get a fair bit of this off Russians on Euro also.

Personally I would like the option although I wouldn't use it all the time.

Sometimes when people start with the silliness (emoting, roping or purposely taking as long as they can to play their cards in order to trigger) at the beginning of the game, I call up my memory of the film Snatch starring Brad Pitt as a bare-knuckle boxer and the point where he is fighting Gorgeous George and George gets in a hit before the fight has officially started and then Brad says "So, that's the kind of fight it's gonna be, is it?" I then channel my inner Brad.

Spoiler Alert: He wins.

If the above applies to you then all you have really achieved is to give me an insight into your own playing psychology and the sort of things that will be more likely to work against you than me. As the Mage says..."Whoops"
Or do you believe there is actually someone out there who thinks that because they muted/ignored someone in chat that suddenly they couldn't chat anymore?

There are people who have misunderstood how auto-squelch would work. People did think that if they were squelched they would not be able to emote at all. I'm glad that you are not one of those, but I think it's important to make sure nobody misunderstands.
When you are squelched you see your portrait go off in a glory of firework's before the game has even got going.

It's not anonymous that face light up for no reason hurts man :(
08/31/2018 04:08 PMPosted by Skruff
Or do you believe there is actually someone out there who thinks that because they muted/ignored someone in chat that suddenly they couldn't chat anymore?

There are people who have misunderstood how auto-squelch would work. People did think that if they were squelched they would not be able to emote at all. I'm glad that you are not one of those, but I think it's important to make sure nobody misunderstands.

Well... I guess I'm glad I skipped or just flat out missed their posts.

Well met.
08/31/2018 08:14 PMPosted by Shelzin
I skipped or just flat out missed their posts.

Quite understandable. This thread alone is 74 pages and add to that the 100+ other threads that have been generated on this issue. Nobody could possibly keep up with everything.
Glad to see Blizzard has their priorities straight. Fix your dumb games constant rock/paper/scissors metas or continue to slowly die out. Not that you'd care, after all the Battle Royale Fortnite rip-off Blizzard© edition is right around the corner and you've probably put your focus on that first and foremost to milk more suckers into buying another garbage game, but at least it'll look pretty.
So, almost 3 months and not a word. I don't doubt that this thread has been monitored, but I don't feel this is something that needs to sit any longer. It just kind of feels like a corral for people who ask for Auto-squelch and that nothing will come of this.
09/05/2018 12:47 AMPosted by Asuba
So, almost 3 months and not a word. I don't doubt that this thread has been monitored, but I don't feel this is something that needs to sit any longer. It just kind of feels like a corral for people who ask for Auto-squelch and that nothing will come of this.

It probably wasn't monitored since a good argument for auto-squelch could never be advanced by anyone. The best so far has been, "sometimes i forget to squelch opponents and their emotes hurt my feelings," which just isn't legit.
09/05/2018 12:56 AMPosted by justoh

It probably wasn't monitored since a good argument for auto-squelch could never be advanced by anyone. The best so far has been, "sometimes i forget to squelch opponents and their emotes hurt my feelings," which just isn't legit.

I give you the argument right now, it's a quality of life improvement for people that absolutely gets nothing out of emote and need to press the squelch button every game, give me now your argument for opposing it....i'm waiting

What's your argument why something that is already available to PC players shouldn't be available for mobile players?
09/05/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Zenkai

What's your argument why something that is already available to PC players shouldn't be available for mobile players?

If you're saying that mobile players can't squelch, that's not something I was aware of. Why do you think I would argue that mobile players shouldn't be able to squelch, and what does that have to do with auto-squelch?

As far as why it shouldn't be implemented, I've already gone over that, plus it's already the status quo, so the burden isn't mine to begin with.
I think it's clear at this point that the thread was just made to shut people up

EDIT: Let me clarify. They don't care. They never cared. Let me explain something to all you people who think that this thread still has use or merit: everything in this game is designed to get you to spend more money on cards. Emotes, and emotes that TILT are part of that. Why do you think half the emotes sound like they were voiced intentionally to be insulting or sarcastic? Let me paint you a word picture:

You are playing a game with your budget version of a meta deck. You are getting stomped by a Control Warlock or Malygos Rogue. They beat you into the effing ground with cards you don't have. They throw out a thanks as they combo stomp you or just beat you into oblivion. You, furious, ragequit and stew. Later, as you think about playing some more of this dumpster fire, you think to yourself "man, I wish I had some of those cards." So maybe you spend 5 bucks. Maybe you spend 10 bucks to get the starter pack. BAM. Blizzard just got the single, solitary thing that they care about. You spent money.

They don't care how they get you to do it. If they piss you off, great. If they entice you with crazy cards like Shudderwock, fine. If they just get you with a good preorder deal, awesome. It. doesn't. matter.

So please, for the love of jehova, stop looking at this as a situation of "well why won't they listen to frustrated players?" Unless they think emotes are impacting profits, they won't change them. And it is deafeningly clear that they see them as an incentive rather than a deterrent
08/31/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Graviton7
When you are squelched you see your portrait go off in a glory of firework's before the game has even got going.

Wait is this for real? I've never witnessed it before. But its possible I suppose that I've never been squelched. For the record though.. I squelch everybody before every single match.
Jesse,
You mentioned some time ago that it was not a good time for the developers to chime in with new thoughts on this issue since we were leading up to the expansion. Well, we are a month into the expansion now. Surely it's reasonable for them to offer some developer insight on this now. Can you please see if we can get some feedback?
09/05/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Skruff
Jesse,
You mentioned some time ago that it was not a good time for the developers to chime in with new thoughts on this issue since we were leading up to the expansion. Well, we are a month into the expansion now. Surely it's reasonable for them to offer some developer insight on this now. Can you please see if we can get some feedback?

Oh for the love of God you're worse than I am, GO AWAY!
09/05/2018 09:44 AMPosted by SpyderBite
08/31/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Graviton7

Wait is this for real? I've never witnessed it before. But its possible I suppose that I've never been squelched. For the record though.. I squelch everybody before every single match.

When your opponent presses anything on your side of the board, it glows with a faint red outline. Means they are either "checking something out" (like artwork on a card) or pressing your face to squelch you.
Ive already pointed out that i feel like this thread was always meant to just corral any auto squelch topics. I had hopes towards the contrary but those faded around page 50. Now, after reading some of the folks making cases about how impactful emotes *are*, ive got another theory.
I never thought about the amount of time and money bliz spends on the heroes and their interactions, and ive certainly noticed other language names (chinese and spanish stand out the most) have heroes that flash like a reporters bulb (after i always squelch, of course). I have a weird suspicion that jesse threw this thread out there without any upper chain consulting; thinking it wouldnt be as popular and later he could show a job well done by squishing at least one of these forums' issues.
This, i think, speaks to why we've never heard a peep in regards to an update: There was never going to be one, its too lucrative to create antagonistic (or fun with friends) interactions. I cant imagine theyre happy about a thread thats grown too large to ignore (granted, that hasnt stopped em) which is why i think jesse acted alone, not that thats bad. Whether he did it maliciously, as a neutral party, or in an effort to positively amplify i cant say, not gonna assume someones intent. All i can do is parse out a legitimately weird absense of response.
Ill say this, the longer this thing goes the more bonkers it gets, exponentially, that theres zero response. Another point to my thinking that it was never going to happen and now, with this thread, the amount of goodwill you lose with a hearty no will invite backlash you wouldve avoided if this thread didnt exist. Anyway, back to lurking and laughing.

How about this:

Perma-squelch was implemented in Clash Royale, although the devs vere VERY reluctant to to it, turning to some half-assed solutions first - like you don't see opponent's emote but you see that he DOES emote at the most appropriate moment, or that you must squelch manually in each and every game.

But then they implemented squelch - and it worked. No, people who like to taunt and BM did not stop using their emotes. They even paid real money to unlock extra emotes. And these who hate taunts got to play in peace.

It should be done in HS too. It annoys a lot of players and there is absolutely no reason not to add a small change that will take a day or two of dev's time.
1500 posts, and Blizzard still doesn't care lul
It's like real life petitions! Threads are also useless :D
09/05/2018 06:11 AMPosted by justoh
09/05/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Zenkai

If you're saying that mobile players can't squelch, that's not something I was aware of. Why do you think I would argue that mobile players shouldn't be able to squelch, and what does that have to do with auto-squelch?

As far as why it shouldn't be implemented, I've already gone over that, plus it's already the status quo, so the burden isn't mine to begin with.

PC players can have autosquelch via 3rd party, you're very ignorant of the topic if you didn't know that. Perhaps you should go back and read all 1,500 post to catch up.