Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 184 Next
06/22/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Skruff
06/22/2018 02:17 PMPosted by globalist
Just how difficult is it to squelch manually?

Not difficult. But it's not just clicking the hero and clicking squelch-- it's clicking the hero and clicking squelch every single match.
I'm a big supporter of the auto squelch feature and having to squelch every single game isn't even the biggest offender to me. Because the beginning of a game goes as follows:
After your mulligan you need to wait for your opponent to do the same.
Then you wait for your opponent to emote you while the animations run.
Then you wait for the game to allow you to squelch your opponent.
Only then are you allowed to squelch your opponent. That makes the whole ordeal very frustrating. If I could do it the moment I see the portrait it would be only very inconvenient instead.
Has there not been enough feedback and discussion about this already?
The pro,s are clear,there are no cons and at least a part of the playerbase would like this feature. Just add it in and done,i don't see why this has to be so difficult.

Personally I would never use a feature like this but I see no harm in adding it either.
06/23/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Rassy
Has there not been enough feedback and discussion about this already?

No, there isn't enough. Next question

06/23/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Rassy
The pro,s are clear,there are no cons

There's an obvious con: it takes away time Bliz could be doing something else.

I'd rather they spend the effort on making the game more balanced, think of new game modes, maybe *gasp* figure out new ways to give us more free content without pissing off the bean counters only concerned with the bottom line.
Quick side note. I personally was glad when Sorry was removed. So many players tapped it constantly. And or right before they won. As a, Sorry I'm going to beat you, sorry you have no chance this game. It was used to be rude / condescending a lot. At least that was my experience as I was starting in the game. Though, if squelch would have worked on my cell. As in I could tap it on my cell and it would stay on them. Either the rest of the match or at least several turns. I might have been less annoyed by it. Please have squelch actually work longer than a few seconds, that it seems / however long it currently lasts, on mobile platforms.
06/23/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Ganesh
I have nothing against auto-squelch, although I find it a little bit sad.
But please, inform the player who's been squelched, otherwise it just seems plain rude.

This.
If I may add to the discussion the fact that one of the other big names on the mobile gaming market was strictly against muting emotes at all. They even took their time to explain why it shouldn't happen and many agreed.

A few months down the road however, they have added partial muting, then full muting, then auto-muting as well.

Maybe because the general idea in PvP games is to fight the opponent so many would apply this logic to the emotes as well.
06/23/2018 03:21 AMPosted by traja
But please, inform the player who's been squelched, otherwise it just seems plain rude.

You are not informed with the current squelch system either. Do you feel insulted by everyone who isn't emoting to you now? If not then I don't see how anything would change by the squelch being automated. If yes then you have a separate concern that already applies to the game. Which is fine but off topic.

Let me address the "squelching is already happening! What's the difference?" argument.

When I address someone and they blatently ignore me and give me the silent treatment I consider it BM.

Ignoring someone and not having the decency to return a pleasantry (and then ignoring them) is poor manners.

Squelchers speak of emotes being BM and DEMAND that we acknowledge this as a hardship that DEMANDS a QOL feature be added.

I contend poor sportsmanship in the form of "the silent treatment" is ALSO BM...

And I DEMAND that I be provided a way to be separated from people who have the squelch toggled by adding a "Only pair with opponents with emotes enabled" toggle.

I will use your own arguments against you.

It's just a few lines of code.

It's a QOL feature for people who don't want to be paired with BM'ers

Don't worry WHY I enjoy emotes. Don't assume it's for BM. Even if it is for BM, I will still be paired only with people prepared for it (or else they would have AS toggled).

ANd if you're convinced I only want to BM with emotes, what do you care? YOu are already pre-squelching manually anyway and have NEVER been BM'ed by me because of that fact.

I don't want to be ignored by you any more than you want to hear my comments.

Separate us. I do not want to play with people like you.

The current environment where people are rudely squelching me without giving me the CHANCE to be polite is a toxic environment and I am not currently givien the ability to avoid these rude people.

Please implement Auto Squelch so these people can be flagged in the system which would provide a flag on them so that I can filter them from my match results.

Thanks.

Ask yourself. Why are you mad at ME because I don't want to play with you the way you want to play the game? You are doing the SAME thing to me by forcing me to play with YOU the way YOU want the game to be played.

Don't be a hypocrite.
Thanks for opening an official thread about it.

I already squelch every single game, as many people here in this forum, as many professional players and casters as well.

I am surprised that the game does not allow me to do it once from the options menu instead of doing it every game.

All my games are "squelched" games, emotes do not form any form of community since they're silent. Making the process automatic does not impact communication whatsoever.

Blizzard will never be able to change how people like me perceive emotes, it doesn't matter how much you chuckle at your office designing them.
06/23/2018 05:12 AMPosted by Right
06/23/2018 03:21 AMPosted by traja

You are not informed with the current squelch system either. Do you feel insulted by everyone who isn't emoting to you now? If not then I don't see how anything would change by the squelch being automated. If yes then you have a separate concern that already applies to the game. Which is fine but off topic.

Let me address the "squelching is already happening! What's the difference?" argument.

When I address someone and they blatently ignore me and give me the silent treatment I consider it BM.

Ignoring someone and not having the decency to return a pleasantry (and then ignoring them) is poor manners.

Squelchers speak of emotes being BM and DEMAND that we acknowledge this as a hardship that DEMANDS a QOL feature be added.

I contend poor sportsmanship in the form of "the silent treatment" is ALSO BM...

And I DEMAND that I be provided a way to be separated from people who have the squelch toggled by adding a "Only pair with opponents with emotes enabled" toggle.

I will use your own arguments against you.

It's just a few lines of code.

It's a QOL feature for people who don't want to be paired with BM'ers

Don't worry WHY I enjoy emotes. Don't assume it's for BM. Even if it is for BM, I will still be paired only with people prepared for it (or else they would have AS toggled).

ANd if you're convinced I only want to BM with emotes, what do you care? YOu are already pre-squelching manually anyway and have NEVER been BM'ed by me because of that fact.

The current environment where people are rudely squelching me without giving me the CHANCE to be polite is a toxic environment and I am not currently givien the ability to avoid these rude people.

Please implement Auto Squelch so these people can be flagged in the system which would provide a flag on them so that I can filter them from my match results.

Thanks.

Ask yourself. Why are you mad at ME because I don't want to play with you the way you want to play the game? You are doing the SAME thing to me by forcing me to play with YOU the way YOU want the game to be played.

Don't be a hypocrite.
You're asking for rigged matchmaking based on feature usage and equating it to auto-squelch. Definitely apples and oranges.

People already squelch and are looking for a toggle. You do not already force the game to match you against fellow emoters.

This is irrational since your request is that people respond to you. That is literally wanting other players to do something for your benefit. My request is simply that the process of not seeing your emotes is made more convenient. It doesn't require any action at all from your end.

That is your problem and is not the case. Me choosing to not engage you in a BM war is the exact opposite of what you think it is.

ignoring someone is not poor sportmanship it is life. I can't tell you how many times I have ignored people while I was in high school playing sports. They would try to get under my skin and to get under theirs I ignored them. Also If I wanted social interaction I would be playing the game in PERSON not behind a computer screen. The world doesn't revolve around you....

You are already being ignored by me and others so... Also what we want doesn't affect the overall game your does. Yours would completely change the dynamics of ranked and Arena and that can't be allowed. Sorry but what you want is way over the top simply because your precious ego is hurt.

That's a problem you have to deal with and no one else, it's nobody else's issue or fault that you're like that. Go watch a Kibler video, he greets players every match, and doesn't care which way or the other whether they return the greeting or not.

When you get squelched, your portrait will light up without your mouse going over it, so perhaps there can be something like that
06/23/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Nautika

That is your problem and is not the case. Me choosing to not engage you in a BM war is the exact opposite of what you think it is.

ignoring someone is not poor sportmanship it is life. I can't tell you how many times I have ignored people while I was in high school playing sports. They would try to get under my skin and to get under theirs I ignored them. Also If I wanted social interaction I would be playing the game in PERSON not behind a computer screen. The world doesn't revolve around you....

You are already being ignored by me and others so... Also what we want doesn't affect the overall game your does. Yours would completely change the dynamics of ranked and Arena and that can't be allowed. Sorry but what you want is way over the top simply because your precious ego is hurt.

*blink*blink*

Nobody can make you look like anything. You have to do it yourself. Just saying. Self reflection is a hard thing to do, but you really need to do some IMHO.
06/21/2018 02:28 PMPosted by LeMao
I'm in favor of the implementation of the option to mute all comunications Both ways I do feel that if you as a player don't want to hear emotes from your opponent you sould also at the same time not be allowed to emote yourself and have a simple optical indicator when one of the players has this option on.
The emote system is simple and very subjective in it's interpretation, much of the time is used to annoy the opponent yet other times i'ts used for actual social interaction and even mind games or pointing out istakes to new players in a polite way.
As it has been pointed out it would be a good cuality of life change for those that subjectively interpret the emotes as constant harrasment, so if said players don't want to participate in the use of this social comunication tool they should have a way to do so while acepting to not participate themselves in the use of said tool, what would make it unfair is if said players abused the tool in the same way they complain about it hence why a total mute option both ways would be in my opinion a fair option.

This is fine except for the visual indicator of someone using the option. That serves absolutely no purpose other than to encourage the muted player to engage in other forms of harassment. Happened all the time in World of Warcraft; you'd mute someone, they'd realize you had them on ignore, and they'd circumvent the mute by creating a throwaway character.
06/21/2018 06:45 PMPosted by hotdog13566
First of all: the only reason why people want auto-squelch is because people view emotes as toxic to their gaming experience.

Secondly: there is a good amount of people who want auto-squelch.

So what I think is this: if there is a noticably large amount of people who think emotes are toxic, shouldn’t emotes - as a whole - be reworked or tweaked instead of adding auto-squelch?

Claims as to how large either side of the issue is are pure speculation, even if you were to do a thorough study of these threads and try to tabulate upvotes and comments. I think the safest thing to say would be that the majority of the player population as a whole probably just doesn't care that much about the issue.
06/21/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Player
06/21/2018 02:28 PMPosted by LeMao
I'm in favor of the implementation of the option to mute all comunications Both ways I do feel that if you as a player don't want to hear emotes from your opponent you sould also at the same time not be allowed to emote yourself and have a simple optical indicator when one of the players has this option on.
The emote system is simple and very subjective in it's interpretation, much of the time is used to annoy the opponent yet other times i'ts used for actual social interaction and even mind games or pointing out istakes to new players in a polite way.
As it has been pointed out it would be a good cuality of life change for those that subjectively interpret the emotes as constant harrasment, so if said players don't want to participate in the use of this social comunication tool they should have a way to do so while acepting to not participate themselves in the use of said tool, what would make it unfair is if said players abused the tool in the same way they complain about it hence why a total mute option both ways would be in my opinion a fair option.

Should the feature be added I agree with this, except for the visual indicator which would only promote toxicity.

I would also add that, unlike manual squelch, auto-squelch should not have the ability to be disabled during a game. You surrender your right to a sneaky BM "Greetings" after a hard fought win the second you decide you don't want any interaction with your opponent before the game even begins.

As for the "we're not here for your entertainment" comments, I respectfully disagree. You might not care about your opponent's entertainment, but at the end of the day we are ALL there for each other's entertainment. Just like in any other PvP game.

I agree with everything you said except the last paragraph.

It is certainly important that the option not be changed during a match. I don't even think people who want that ability should be able to manually squelch or unsquelch. Manual squelching could be eliminated entirely with the toggle in the options menu, preventing the toxic behavior you describe.

On the more tangential last paragraph, however, I am not here for your entertainment. I'm here for mine, you're here for yours. I don't care if you have fun, and accept no responsibility for the fun, or lack thereof, that you achieve.
06/22/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Paf
firstly thanks for acknowledging this topic is something important to the community.

I was taught sportsmanship, its important to show humility in winning, BM is very unsportsmanlike, I also don't know why blizzard lets streamers get away with setting such bad examples for the community but they do probably as result it happens a lot.

to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you you don't have to turn it on, well not unless you want to BM? I always greet regardless then go mute if I remember.

if I don't want to listen to you, I shouldn't have to, the option already exists so I don't have to, just want the convenience taken up a notch.

To the people wanting auto squelch.

Can you PLEASE stop assuming what your opposition is going to do with emotes?

You're basing your entire outlook on a misconception.

"I want auto squelch because emotes are ONLY for BM"

Please stop. This thread is for civil point making.

By saying "to people not wanting this feature, asking for an option for people to not hear you dosn't effect you... well not unless you want to BM?

You are attacking people who enjoy using emotes for the right reasons. What are the right reasons? Well, we can hope Blizzard didn't put them in the game to exclusively BM your opponent. Many people who like emotes have stated they can be funny, clever and add "something" to the game that makes it more fun. You don't have to "get it".

TLDR: Please stop assuming people who enjoy and use emotes are only using them for BM. Thanks a ton.

That isn't the assumption. The assumption is that people who aren't using emotes for BM are not likely to care if you are paying attention to their emotes. Since they don't care about the effect of their emote on you, they don't care if you see it. Only people who want to BM are going to INSIST that you have to see their emotes.