Auto-Squelch Discussion

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 184 Next
06/22/2018 10:33 AMPosted by wolf8sheep
I have created this thread to allow players to talk about the topic and provide feedback in a constructive manner that is more easily presented to Team 5. *edited by mod to adjust mod derp

So did I just waste my time posting if this thread will simply be presented to team 5 only to have them 100% not consider it or am I understanding that wrong?

This is an important, but unfruitful, question. Even if the answer is "Yes, you're wasting your time" you can't expect Jesse to actually give you that answer. You can only post your opinion on the topic and hope it is taken seriously. Given similar instances in the past, like in World of Warcraft, I'd give it three months or so. As they wind down the final touches on the next expansion and have time before the one after that, this might get some discussion among them and get us a response. If nothing happens by then, you'll have to decide just how important this issue is for you and act accordingly.
In Asia server, There are too many BM emote.
Almost emote is BM and not for communication.
I really want auto-squelch function.
06/23/2018 04:50 AMPosted by Cleric8092
Quick side note. I personally was glad when Sorry was removed. So many players tapped it constantly. And or right before they won. As a, Sorry I'm going to beat you, sorry you have no chance this game. It was used to be rude / condescending a lot. At least that was my experience as I was starting in the game. Though, if squelch would have worked on my cell. As in I could tap it on my cell and it would stay on them. Either the rest of the match or at least several turns. I might have been less annoyed by it. Please have squelch actually work longer than a few seconds, that it seems / however long it currently lasts, on mobile platforms.

Another important point!

The removal of "Sorry" is a direct precedent for allowing players to auto-squelch. This is an instance of an emote that, if the anti-squelch crowd were right, should have only ever been considered harmless. After all, the opponent is APOLOGIZING, right? But Blizzard recognized the potential for BM and changed it. What the developers failed to realize at the time is that it isn't the emote that is BM. We can't REALLY tell when it is or isn't, unless it is relentlessly spammed. PERCEPTION is what matters, and you can never change that perception for someone else. If a player perceives any emote to be BM, it lessens their game experience, period.
06/23/2018 05:12 AMPosted by Right
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You are not informed with the current squelch system either. Do you feel insulted by everyone who isn't emoting to you now? If not then I don't see how anything would change by the squelch being automated. If yes then you have a separate concern that already applies to the game. Which is fine but off topic.

Let me address the "squelching is already happening! What's the difference?" argument.

When I address someone and they blatently ignore me and give me the silent treatment I consider it BM.

Ignoring someone and not having the decency to return a pleasantry (and then ignoring them) is poor manners.

Squelchers speak of emotes being BM and DEMAND that we acknowledge this as a hardship that DEMANDS a QOL feature be added.

I contend poor sportsmanship in the form of "the silent treatment" is ALSO BM...

And I DEMAND that I be provided a way to be separated from people who have the squelch toggled by adding a "Only pair with opponents with emotes enabled" toggle.

I will use your own arguments against you.

It's just a few lines of code.

It's a QOL feature for people who don't want to be paired with BM'ers

Don't worry WHY I enjoy emotes. Don't assume it's for BM. Even if it is for BM, I will still be paired only with people prepared for it (or else they would have AS toggled).

ANd if you're convinced I only want to BM with emotes, what do you care? YOu are already pre-squelching manually anyway and have NEVER been BM'ed by me because of that fact.

I don't want to be ignored by you any more than you want to hear my comments.

Separate us. I do not want to play with people like you.

The current environment where people are rudely squelching me without giving me the CHANCE to be polite is a toxic environment and I am not currently givien the ability to avoid these rude people.

Please implement Auto Squelch so these people can be flagged in the system which would provide a flag on them so that I can filter them from my match results.

Thanks.

Ask yourself. Why are you mad at ME because I don't want to play with you the way you want to play the game? You are doing the SAME thing to me by forcing me to play with YOU the way YOU want the game to be played.

Don't be a hypocrite.

You don't have any right to a response from us ALREADY, and there is no actual argument for forcing a player to respond. Your request is off-topic, would affect the way the game actually plays, and would require more coding effort than the very simple squelch toggle. Furthermore, again, your request is predicated on the inclusion of an auto-squelch. For these reasons, please sit down.
Also, Jesse, you've read and locked enough of these threads to know who the troll is. I'll cop to slightly misjudging Mand's intent because he hasn't shown up here yet, but there is some clear abuse going on here that hasn't been fully addressed.
06/23/2018 05:12 AMPosted by Right
And I DEMAND that I be provided a way to be separated from people who have the squelch toggled by adding a "Only pair with opponents with emotes enabled" toggle.

Manipulating the matchmaking system will create a lot of potential issues. There are already many threads contending a rigged matchmaking system. You proposal is actually rigging the matchmaking system. That's a dangerous path that can potentially affect game balance and integrity.

Further, it will affect other players besides yourself. Your proposal would increase queue times on both sides. I couldn't predict how much it would be affected, but it's greater than zero. Auto-squelch on the other hand only affects the player using it.
I've played the game since beta, and if I had to guess I'd say maybe 70% of the emotes directed by way over the years were self-evidently intended to provoke/annoy. I cannot imagine much would be lost were I to turn the feature off.
I wouldn't use the feature, so it's implementation would not affect me in any way.

I doubt the same guys who design cards and make balance decisions would be solicited to code an automated way to activate an existing feature tht doesnt interact with the game's core mechanic in any way.

As far as i'm concerned, if it makes some people happy, sure, let them have it, good for them.

Very far on the other side of this argument, I would actually like a revamp of the emote system, something similar to what they do in overwatch, you have six emote slots, a couple basic ones and you can unlock new ones and choose your prefered set for each hero. You could have more specific things to say, like "i got lucky there" or even have conditional emotes like "you will be avenged!" Shortly after a minon dies

That way you dont alway hear the same emotes all the time, so if you find them fun it creates differents interactions. Also it allows a new channel to monetize the game and if its successful, maybe we get a pack price reduction (one can dream :P )

Now of course THAT would probably be very ressource intensive, but maybe i'm not the only one who wiuld enjoy such a change
06/23/2018 04:46 AMPosted by First123
I'd rather they spend the effort on making the game more balanced, think of new game modes

This is a fallacy. This is not one or the other. Implementing an auto-squelch will not take resources away from game balancing or developing new game modes.
06/23/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Knappco
06/21/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Player

Should the feature be added I agree with this, except for the visual indicator which would only promote toxicity.

I would also add that, unlike manual squelch, auto-squelch should not have the ability to be disabled during a game. You surrender your right to a sneaky BM "Greetings" after a hard fought win the second you decide you don't want any interaction with your opponent before the game even begins.

As for the "we're not here for your entertainment" comments, I respectfully disagree. You might not care about your opponent's entertainment, but at the end of the day we are ALL there for each other's entertainment. Just like in any other PvP game.

I agree with everything you said except the last paragraph.

It is certainly important that the option not be changed during a match. I don't even think people who want that ability should be able to manually squelch or unsquelch. Manual squelching could be eliminated entirely with the toggle in the options menu, preventing the toxic behavior you describe.

[/quote]

No, auto-squelch should not replace manual squelch. Outside of the occasional bad day I only squelch for a couple of reasons and manual is sufficient, if not preferred, for me. My QoL shouldn't decrease so yours can increase.

I don't mind the sneaky BM emotes currently, I just object to those that want to opt out of social interaction via AS retaining the option to change their mind midgame, which is why I'd expect the toggle only to work from a menu screen.
06/23/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Player
No, auto-squelch should not replace manual squelch. Outside of the occasional bad day I only squelch for a couple of reasons and manual is sufficient, if not preferred, for me. My QoL shouldn't decrease so yours can increase.

I don't mind the sneaky BM emotes currently, I just object to those that want to opt out of social interaction via AS retaining the option to change their mind midgame, which is why I'd expect the toggle only to work from a menu screen.

There really is no reason to remove manual squelching so I don't think that needs to be talked about. What I am curious about though is why you think auto squelch should be something that you could not toggle manually during a match? Why does automation have to limit functionality?
06/23/2018 03:22 PMPosted by traja
06/23/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Player

There really is no reason to remove manual squelching so I don't think that needs to be talked about. What I am curious about though is why you think auto squelch should be something that you could not toggle manually during a match? Why does automation have to limit functionality?

You don't want to hear my greetings at the start of a game, then I don't want to hear your BM at the end of one. You made the decision before the game started that you wanted no social interaction, why should you have the same late game BM options available to you as those who didn't?

It's contradictory to want it both ways.
we need less 4chan trolls in the community.
06/23/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Skruff
06/23/2018 04:46 AMPosted by First123
I'd rather they spend the effort on making the game more balanced, think of new game modes

This is a fallacy. This is not one or the other.

There is no fallacy, as I'm not saying it's one or the other. I'm speaking of opportunity costs.

Implementing an auto-squelch will not take resources away from game balancing or developing new game modes.

There is no reason to believe this. There is no indication Bliz will add additional resources just to do auto squelch. There's every reason to believe they will be asking their existing team members to implement this, which does mean resources taken away from building or improving on something else. Could they do auto-squelch while doing the other things? Sure (again, it's not "one or the other"), but it's naive to think there won't be an impact.
I’ve already shown my support for auto squelch. Upon reading some of the comments I’d like to add another perspective. I sincerely don’t consider this a multiplayer game, not even in the slightest. As far as I’m concerned it’s a puzzle game, and it doesn’t matter to me that someone is on the other end. The only reason I play the “PvP” portion is because the AI sucks, and therefor isn’t a challenging puzzle. If the AI was top notch I would leave “PvP” and emotes in my rear view mirror.

Sorry Blizzard, a non tabletop card game with no chat function is not a multiplayer game. If I want to be social I go outside, or at least play a game I can interact with people beyond six emotes.
06/23/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Player
06/23/2018 03:22 PMPosted by traja

You don't want to hear my greetings at the start of a game, then I don't want to hear your BM at the end of one. You made the decision before the game started that you wanted no social interaction, why should you have the same late game BM options available to you as those who didn't?

None of this is something that cannot already be done with the squelch system that is in the game. I can mute you before you can get your greetings through and I can still BM you at the end of the game. Having a toggle that changes the default setting from unsquelched to squelched does not change this functionality in any way.

Personally i really don't care because I would never toggle the emotes on ever again.
06/23/2018 04:12 PMPosted by traja
06/23/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Player

None of this is something that cannot already be done with the squelch system that is in the game. I can mute you before you can get your greetings through and I can still BM you at the end of the game. Having a toggle that changes the default setting from unsquelched to squelched does not change this functionality in any way.

Personally i really don't care because I would never toggle the emotes on ever again.

Exactly, manual squelch already allows us to mute on a game by game basis, or if we have a difficult turn and don't want to be distracted.

The main supporting arguments for AS are don't want interaction and can't tolerate BM, therein lies the contradiction if it could be toggled in a match. You either want the option to communicate in which case manual is fine, or you don't in which case you made your decision of auto and decided before it even started the game is to be played in silence.
06/23/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Skruff
This is a fallacy. This is not one or the other.

There is no fallacy, as I'm not saying it's one or the other. I'm speaking of opportunity costs.

Implementing an auto-squelch will not take resources away from game balancing or developing new game modes.

There is no reason to believe this. There is no indication Bliz will add additional resources just to do auto squelch. There's every reason to believe they will be asking their existing team members to implement this, which does mean resources taken away from building or improving on something else. Could they do auto-squelch while doing the other things? Sure (again, it's not "one or the other"), but it's naive to think there won't be an impact.

If you knew absolutely ANYTHING about coding, you'd understand that no resources would actually have to be redirected to make this happen. I know several college freshmen in computer engineering who could write that bit of code in less than 15 minutes.
06/23/2018 04:33 PMPosted by Player

Exactly, manual squelch already allows us to mute on a game by game basis, or if we have a difficult turn and don't want to be distracted.

The main supporting arguments for AS are don't want interaction and can't tolerate BM, therein lies the contradiction if it could be toggled in a match. You either want the option to communicate in which case manual is fine, or you don't in which case you made your decision of auto and decided before it even started the game is to be played in silence.

There is no contradiction though. The option to avoid and any all interaction is already in the game. It is just inconvenient. The only difference that AS makes is one of convenience and not one of functionality.

There is no contradiction though. The option to avoid and any all interaction is already in the game. It is just inconvenient. The only difference that AS makes is one of convenience and not one of functionality.

Using the arguments for AS, there IS a contradiction. You don't want communication, you don't want BM, why then should you have access to emotes after already deciding you don't want to hear them in that game?

If you refuse to shake my hand at the start of a game, before we even meet, don't offer me yours when you beat me.