Rank 6 vs Legend on ladder. How does this happen?

Play Mode Discussion
The topic pretty much says it all. How does the matchmaker think this is a reasonable match up?
I wish I had screen shot or remember the name but within last 10 days I was watching a twitch streamer with Legendary rank >50 get matched with a normal Rank 3 Portrait player.
It's because less people are playing so they have to miss-match ranks... or maybe they changed something but I doubt it as no announcements were made.

i play in rank 4-5 and I also get matched with legends more frequently now.
Yeah rank 3 now in wild and i get matched occasionaly with 400 legend players. Seriusly dunno why though. Even if we suggest that wild doesnt have big playerbase shouldnt be more players in legend than get matched between the top400?
Though it could very well be population issue, more likely the reason is just how mm works.
Essentially ranks don't count for skill though they are an approximation it. Legends however are matched purely on "skill rating", which can mean someone at Rank *whatever* can have the same skill rating as them, and thus be matched with them. (I actually think that the mm at legend doesn't even prefer other legend players over the skill rating so they can easily be matched against non-legend players.)
Go figure the game is dieing makes since seeing it has so many i win cards and op cards and people are sick and tired of the lack of balance.
you cant rank down fron legend
so if you switch to a gimmick or bottom tier deck and lose games youll be matched with players fron lower ranks eventually
If you can reach R5-R1, you're kinda "good enough for Legend", the rest is more willpower than skill - a 51% winrate is essentially enough. The R5 floor prevents people from falling deeper, and since legend players only reset to R4 nowadays, legend rank numbers have become much bigger, 'cause there's much less grind involved reaching it. IIRC, legend ranks have about tripled since the patch. All this leads to the bottom of legend having a MMR similar to players in the single-digid Ranks.

Reddit has two or more threads about it.
Because you have a good mmr
Take it as a compliment
Let's say you reached Legend early in the month, and then stopped playing. Your Legend rank will continue to drop as more players reach Legend throughout the month, or let's say you lose a ton of games at Legend, dropping you into the 2k-3k range. They're not going to match you with the people in top 200 Legend, but there may not be as many people at Legend ranks 1000+ to match you against. So you get matched against people in the Rank 5-1 brackets.
They are on a losing streak and possibly testing/playing a mid-ranged or meme deck.
i was watching a streamer that was testing a budget deck on legend and he had a bad losing streak and started queuing into rank 1-6 players.
06/23/2018 08:11 AMPosted by EDD
They are on a losing streak and possibly testing/playing a mid-ranged or meme deck.
i was watching a streamer that was testing a budget deck on legend and he had a bad losing streak and started queuing into rank 1-6 players.

There needs to be a floor though. I have never gotten matched with a rank 7 as a rank 5 even when on a major losing streak. The floor for legend players should be rank1. It just makes sense.

Exception is of course first couple of days when pool of players at a given rank will be lower.
A guy made a video of playing against a rank 25 as a legend, he had to concede a lot to make that happen though, so in your case the legend player was probably just on a losing streak...on the plus side though, it's more likely a legend player like that is playing a lower tier deck.
Blizzards MMR is the feeling people have that the game is rigged.

No matter what rank you are if you are on a winstreak you play people that also have one - 50 % rule ...

according to HSreplay it seams to be working - loads of fun is it ...