Hearthstone : too expensive. How to fix

Community Discussion
I always asked here on forums to lower the Hearthstone price. It's the most expensive game on the market, without a proper justification, since it doesn't require / offer much.

For me, lately, the game isn't even fun anymore: the pve content is VERY frustrating (I never replayed the monster expansions or any other expansion and I guess most of you didn't replay them either - I just finished them for the rewards, and that's it).

The PVP part is actually silly: you can play the game perfectly and still be owned by a 9 years old kid. To make a point out of it for myself, I passed the iPad to my 9 years old daughter when she insisted, just to play a few games with murloc mage (standard deck from Blizz website) at rank 15 Wild. She finished 3 wins and 2 loses, without knowing english and playing only the cards that were playable "green", only face :)) Too bad I didn't film her. Maybe next time (but I don't actually want to force her into this - she wanted to try what daddy plays) ... and yeah, she never played HS before, and again, she's 9 (nine) years old ... and she had fun when the opponent exploded :))

Now let's go back to the price:

To own all the cards (like myself), you need to spend about 300-400 Euro / each expansion (+ 7-8.000 gold), to open about 350 packs and craft the missing 2-3 legendaries and most likely craft some epics.

We have 2 expansions / year, so this would be 600-800 euro / year (let's say 50 euro/month).
World of Warcraft (that is a much more complex game) is costing 14 euro/month (same company) or even 11/month if you buy 6 months at a time.
With 50 euro / month, you can buy ALL other Blizzard & Activision titles in about 6 months.
With 50 euro / month you can buy so many "last year" games that you actually do NOT have the physical time to play and finish them - just head to any major game retailer like g2a, steam, etc. to check it up if you don't believe.

I don't even start on other similar games on the market, since HS is costing x4 times more than its most expensive competitor. And what does it offer? Some new cards 2 times per year, a competitive scene with some coin flip experts ... same names since there aren't many willing to sacrifice all days of their life, just to play a game.

What's bad?
- unbalanced games,
- long grind for legend (but if you have the time you go legend automatically with 50%+ win rate assured by a "good" deck),
- P2W since you need to pay to be able to craft 4-5 decks/expansion to have that "good" deck,
- RNG that makes you feel bad (see Lifecoach, Reckful, and the list of famous gamers who uninstalled HS is actually long),
- boring and frustrating PVE,
- technical issues (overheating, battery drain without the possibility to reduce the power consume on mobile devices, installing on the SD problems, etc.).

On the other hand, Blizzard has
- good support,
- great server up time,
- fast games since you can always find another player in less than a minute wait time,
- nice graphics.
- a fun game overall ( when you win :)) ).
- you can buy packs for half price from time to time using Amazon coins. Actually you shold NEVER buy HS packs in the regular way since they are way too expensive.

What Blizzard should do to fix this situation for me and in my opinion alone ?

STOP this greedy madness and launch ONE expansion each year, so they have the time to study it well and not nerf 5 cards every freakin' month after each expansion launches.

Reduce the cost of a pack to 1/4 of the current price.

Let us choose for each card we find in a pack a few (2-3) variants so we can complete faster our collection. Like you get to chose when you craft an arena deck, only that the cards will stay in your collection.

Increase the dust rewards for both ladder play and dusting the cards.

Keep a close eye on the meta and balance the cards each week, so that there won't be any OP deck that can crush everything else of its class.

They should make sure that each class has an aggro and a control viable deck, so you don't face always the same decks on ladder, knowing from the beginning what you're up against.

Make the game a bit faster (reducing the roping time if the opponent is still online, by actually constantly pinging the opponent). It happens so often lately that some idiot, knowing it loses the game, just ropes me each turn, hoping in my disconnect that could win him the game.

Make the game "graphics" faster. Some cards that are spawning minions are awfully slow. I'm not starting a list here, but you have it - just Google for it.

What did I do ? This time I'll skip buying this expansion.
Why ? In the past I used to pay 50 Euro / expansion offer.
This year I have to pay 120 Euro.

You have to prove that you can bring more money in than Ben did ? Not from me. Your marketing failed this time. Doubling the price offering a legendary in exchange is just dumb. Feels bad for who bought it without doing the math.

Thanks for reading. I hope it helps you making your decision into NOT buying this expansion.

I'm not gonna come back here to say it again. If you don't change things Blizzard, I'm afraid you lost me as your customer. Not even F2P.

Bye.
Threatening to leave as a F2P player is going to fall on deaf ears. What is the damage to Blizzard to lose someone that doesn't spend money on the game?

That being said I have never and would never spend real money on this game.
how to fix :

regulary release balance patches, ALSO for wild and deliver a good, HIGH quality product !!!

then people are going to buy , because they WANT to.

easy as that.
Look, I understand a lot of your complaints. But here’s the thing. DO you realize why Blizzard MUST encentivize spending money on the game? Without money, the game sees no development. You can’t just give everything away for free, or else people stop spending money, and the game dies. Simple as that.

Why is there so much RNG? It’s so that weaker players can eke out the occasional victory. If they don’t win here and there, eventually the less skilled players will get bored of everything and leave. Eventually it’s only a very small number of leetsauce players left, and the game dies.

Normally when customers complain, companies listen, because they live and die by the customer base. Because the customers decide whether or not to PAY the company for x service or y product. As a free to play player, Blizzard has ZERO incentive to cater to your demands. If you leave, Blizz makes no money. If you stay, Blizz STILL makes no money. You can’t threaten to take your money elsewhere, because it’s been elsewhere all this time. Your ability to move a company depends upon the power your money provides.
Believe it or not hearthstone is probably the cheapest card gameon the market, the fact that you can even get free packs is pretty rare
I feel like if you prepurchase the game, you should literally get a much higher percentage of the cards released. I remember spending $50 on 70 packs for The Witchwood and got 4 legendaries out of the 23 they released. Spending that much money 3-4 times a year to get such a small % of the cards from a pre-purchase just feels bad and makes me not want to pre-purchase ever again.
07/13/2018 02:58 PMPosted by EvilB
Threatening to leave as a F2P player is going to fall on deaf ears. What is the damage to Blizzard to lose someone that doesn't spend money on the game?

That being said I have never and would never spend real money on this game.

You have to hope for competition in the market. I remember reading an article once that stated Blizzard is a company that doesnt originate games, it takes from the industry and makes them better. And I once believed that was true about Blizzard making games better than the rest.

When World of Warcraft came along and crushed all other MMOs. I was so ready for WoW vs the game experience from other MMOs. Other MMOs were grinds and boring farmfests. WoW of entertaining, funny, had a lot of great things. One could solo and not need large groups.

Now I am hoping competition comes along so they improve Casual and the game experience here. One has to go to other chat forums or websites to find those in agreement. Here you just find pro HS no matter what. So hoping strong competition comes along.
Mtga >
11/14/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Jtkilla
Mtga >

MTGA is much cheaper because drafting allows you to build a collection for cheap
07/17/2018 09:05 AMPosted by GrimBerry
Look, I understand a lot of your complaints. But here’s the thing. DO you realize why Blizzard MUST encentivize spending money on the game? Without money, the game sees no development. You can’t just give everything away for free, or else people stop spending money, and the game dies. Simple as that.

mate, i bet none of blizzard's other one time pay or monthly subscription have made them as much money as this free to play model game...one person can easily spend over 100 bucks multiple times a year where-else in say overwatch, u can buy that game for 20 bucks during a sale and thats all there is thats worth buying.
Agree with OP. Don't play this game anymore. So tired of paying for new cards for new expansions so often.

No wonder this game is next on Blizzard's chopping block. Good riddance if you ask me.
A lot of good points there. HS is one of those games where it's kind of fun to play at times, but you always end up hating yourself later for doing it. The slow pace and high cost are what I dislike most.
Most expensive? You certainly do not know MTG, lol.

I have been playing HS since New Years's eve, haven't spent a dime on it, and having much fun with a reasonable powerful deck (with only one legendary and no epic cards). The fact that are many basic and commons make this possible, and once you have a sinnergistic deck you can enjoy the decision making process and have much fun.

Of course you have to grind a lot for gold and dust, unless you are very pacient and just make the day's quests until you have enough gold to buy packs.
I'm sick of Blizzard's cynical cash grabs. I used to love Hearthstone. Started playing in the middle of TGT. Been dropping about 150 dollars per expansion since then. I played HOTS a lot before that and SCII before that. I have given a ton of money to Blizzard because the quality of their products was so high and I really enjoyed their games. Over the last couple years, Activision's influence has been steadily creeping throughout their content tho.

I have to say, I really don't like the feeling that every aspect of my experience is being designed more and more to influence me to buy more, rather than to have fun. When I get matched against a deck that's a hard counter to mine, or when the reverse is true, was that completely random, or was it the result of an algorithm that determined I need to lose or win X number of games in Y pattern in order to motivate me to buy more packs? When I open packs, is there an algorithm operating behind the scenes making sure that I get the !@#$ty pulls that I get, so that I still have a motivation to drop cash on the epics and legendaries that are actually useful in my favored archetypes?

I don't trust Blizzard anymore. I feel like a sucker for spending as much as I have already on this game. I definitely had fun, but I'm not having nearly as much fun anymore. If Blizzard doesn't get back to its roots, i.e. prioritizing the player experience above all else, even profits, I don't plan on being their cash cow any more. I just bought a Nintendo Switch, and I am loving it! Nintendo understands the central importance of customer loyalty, an insight that once led Blizzard to dominate PC gaming. If you're not happy with the way Blizzard has been doing business lately, please join me in boycotting their products, and let them know WHY.
well, they need to make money somehow
but since beta people have been asking for a 2on2 mode
they couldve implemented that at least

they really didnt do a lot for this game in the past years
02/02/2019 08:00 PMPosted by SoToSpeak
Most expensive? You certainly do not know MTG, lol.

I have been playing HS since New Years's eve, haven't spent a dime on it, and having much fun with a reasonable powerful deck (with only one legendary and no epic cards). The fact that are many basic and commons make this possible, and once you have a sinnergistic deck you can enjoy the decision making process and have much fun.

Of course you have to grind a lot for gold and dust, unless you are very pacient and just make the day's quests until you have enough gold to buy packs.
Been playing a year now, dont worry you will soon see the points that are being made :) for you to get anywhere worth it, it wont be with your no legendary deck i can assure you :)
02/03/2019 09:42 AMPosted by sandakin
I'm sick of Blizzard's cynical cash grabs. I used to love Hearthstone. Started playing in the middle of TGT. Been dropping about 150 dollars per expansion since then. I played HOTS a lot before that and SCII before that. I have given a ton of money to Blizzard because the quality of their products was so high and I really enjoyed their games. Over the last couple years, Activision's influence has been steadily creeping throughout their content tho.

I have to say, I really don't like the feeling that every aspect of my experience is being designed more and more to influence me to buy more, rather than to have fun. When I get matched against a deck that's a hard counter to mine, or when the reverse is true, was that completely random, or was it the result of an algorithm that determined I need to lose or win X number of games in Y pattern in order to motivate me to buy more packs? When I open packs, is there an algorithm operating behind the scenes making sure that I get the !@#$ty pulls that I get, so that I still have a motivation to drop cash on the epics and legendaries that are actually useful in my favored archetypes?

I don't trust Blizzard anymore. I feel like a sucker for spending as much as I have already on this game. I definitely had fun, but I'm not having nearly as much fun anymore. If Blizzard doesn't get back to its roots, i.e. prioritizing the player experience above all else, even profits, I don't plan on being their cash cow any more. I just bought a Nintendo Switch, and I am loving it! Nintendo understands the central importance of customer loyalty, an insight that once led Blizzard to dominate PC gaming. If you're not happy with the way Blizzard has been doing business lately, please join me in boycotting their products, and let them know WHY.
100% agree and ofcourse there is an algorithm im glad you brought it up, hope more people realise this, they see us as dollar signs and how much can they get. Blizzard have fallen out of grace so much recently, With Diablo, WoW,HotS and Hearthstone, all games i used to love, they are no longer the company that brought amazing quality games...
Don't blame blizzard for the fact that people are to dumb too realize, that the complete modern gaming industry, and the open packs, open boxes, etc.
Is an illusion and not worth spending a dime on.

In the EU they are preparing a new law, that forbids micro transactions in the current form or put insane taxes (gambling) on them.

They are leading to addiction and in general they are a rip off, most off all due to the fact that you never own the cards, you "Rented" some license that allows you to play with the product. If Blizzard or any other company for that fact, tomorrow would decide to pull the plug out of the servers, or says sorry we wipe all cards and start with new ones, all your hard earned money will vanish and you can't do anything against it.

So in my humble opinion you are pretty dumb to pay for packs or boxes or what ever. Not blizz fault that people keep buying thin air for insane prices from them.