Hearthstone Tavern Talk – July 11 2018

Play Mode Discussion
Ever wondered what’s goes on behind the closed doors of the tavern? Ava and the crew’s antics aside, the Hearthstone development team works hard on a myriad of tasks to bring you the game you know and love so well. More than that, we also make the time to read about the different issues and questions the community brings to light each day.

Welcome to Hearthstone Tavern Talk, where we’ll share with you answers to some of the questions we see in our community!

How are cards chosen for Hall of Fame?

We take a lot of factors into consideration when choosing cards to move to the Hall of Fame. In most cases, the cards have a unique design, so we want to keep them around for Wild play.
Here are some specific reasons why cards have moved to the Hall of Fame set in the past.
    • High burst damage (Ice Lance, Power Overwhelming)
    • Uninteractive gameplay (Conceal, Iceblock)
    • Destroyed cards (Coldlight Oracle)
    • Went into every deck (Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Azure Drake)
    • Limited future design space (Molten Giant, Sylvanas, Coldlight Oracle)

You can read more about the Year of the Raven’s Hall of Fame rotations here.

If Team 5 would make cards from earlier sets available in Standard again, what would be your criteria to select those cards?

We’ve talked about this a few times. There are some really cool designs that would really add to certain sets. For example, there is a theme of 1-mana Hunter minions in Journey to Un’Goro, so we discussed including Webspinner (a 1-mana minion from Curse of Naxxramas). It would synergize with Tol’vir Warden, Stampede, The Marsh Queen, and Terrorscale Stalker, especially since it’s also a Deathrattle minion. Synergy with a current set is an important criteria when we think about including older cards in new sets.

But after some deliberation we decided to create a new card instead—Jeweled Macaw. Jeweled Macaw is similar to Webspinner but has Battlecry instead of Deathrattle, while also fulfilling the other criteria we had in mind (needing to have 1-mana, being a Beast type) for the set. The art, name, and flavor of Jeweled Macaw made more sense in the Un’Goro crater setting, so it worked out well for us. If at some point we do include an old card in a new set, you will be able to play that old card on the Standard ladder if you own it already.
Note that they were considering adding webspinner to UN'GORO, not to classic, to make it legal in standard again. That's the best way to do reprints for standard and the devs know it. They even clarify that old copies will be playable again without needing to open the new copies.

You haters have downvoted me literally every time I've said this over the years and now the devs themselves back me up.
Awesome information. Thanks, Jesse.
how many categories of Hall of Fame reasons does shudderwock fit into?
If Team 5 would make cards from earlier sets available in Standard again, what would be your criteria to select those cards?

We’ve talked about this a few times. There are some really cool designs that would really add to certain sets. For example, there is a theme of 1-mana Hunter minions in Journey to Un’Goro, so we discussed including Webspinner (a 1-mana minion from Curse of Naxxramas). It would synergize with Tol’vir Warden, Stampede, The Marsh Queen, and Terrorscale Stalker, especially since it’s also a Deathrattle minion. Synergy with a current set is an important criteria when we think about including older cards in new sets.

But after some deliberation we decided to create a new card instead—Jeweled Macaw. Jeweled Macaw is similar to Webspinner but has Battlecry instead of Deathrattle, while also fulfilling the other criteria we had in mind (needing to have 1-mana, being a Beast type) for the set. The art, name, and flavor of Jeweled Macaw made more sense in the Un’Goro crater setting, so it worked out well for us. If at some point we do include an old card in a new set, you will be able to play that old card on the Standard ladder if you own it already.

First off, I really like the design and art of Jeweled Macaw. The possibility of including old cards in new sets is the real news. There should be a way to tie in the past with the present on ladder. Doing it in Arena and Tavern Brawls isn't enough in my opinion. Thanks for this post though. I'm glad that you're finally addressing relevant questions.
07/11/2018 04:10 PMPosted by ƒudge
Ignoreing the fact that it's not a neutral and rotates naturally: none.

(The only class specific cards that have been sent to the hof are spells)
07/11/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Zombie
07/11/2018 04:10 PMPosted by ƒudge
Ignoreing the fact that it's not a neutral: none.

gamebreaking, went into every shaman deck, uninteractive, and *very* limited future design.

guess it needs to hit all 5 to even be considered. and theres a first time for everything.

the fact that they are willing to send any class cards to hall of fame (ice block) says yes, they will take a gander at something in particular that is highly abused by the class. even though secret keeper and flare were things, fatigue, curse, and damage on YOUR turn could still kill you, has far more interaction than shudderwock ever has in current standard.
07/11/2018 06:15 PMPosted by ƒudge
07/11/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Zombie
...Ignoreing the fact that it's not a neutral: none.

gamebreaking, went into every shaman deck, uninteractive, and *very* limited future design.

guess it needs to hit all 5 to even be considered. and theres a first time for everything.

the fact that they are willing to send any class cards to hall of fame (ice block) says yes, they will take a gander at something in particular that is highly abused by the class. even though secret keeper and flare were things, fatigue, curse, and damage on YOUR turn could still kill you, has far more interaction than shudderwock ever has in current standard.
Its so game-breaking and included in every Shaman deck that the other meta Shaman deck that doesn't use it at all is a solid tier above it.
Imagine you disenchanted Golden cards for peanuts because they rotated out of standard only to see them return in a future set.
07/11/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
If at some point we do include an old card in a new set, you will be able to play that old card on the Standard ladder if you own it already.

My concern with this is this:

06/20/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
Alternate card art is something we have avoided because players almost always use art to recognize a card and instantly know what it does. Good gameplay is very important to us so we have avoided adding multiple pieces of art for a single card.

If our collections are too 'valuable' for wild sets to be available for purchase with gold, then reprints should have original/alternate artwork based on that same principle.
<span class="truncated">...</span>Ignoreing the fact that it's not a neutral: none.

i can arbitrarily nominate cards to be hof'd without elaborating also. convince me, why should shudderwock be sent to the hof right now. (it has to be an immediate reason because the card rotates naturally (this is why you cant argue design space)).
Except that by time that Ragnaros and Sylvanas went to HoF, they were NOT auto-includes, as by then, power creep made sure there were better cards and/or aggro decks were potent.

As for Azure Drake, a power of 4 Dragon would've been great when Dragonfire Potion came out and Priest was an oppressive class. Also, if you don't want cards to be put into every deck, then print better cards. Something that occurs naturally, as evidenced by, for example, the degree to which Dr. Boom is NOT an auto-include in Wild.
I mean... at SOME POINT you're going to have to by default kinda sorta reprint old cards because there are only so many "things" a card can do.

Once a card rotates out you can't logically say, "well, that's the last time we're going to print a 3 cost 3/3 body deathrattle" (or whatever)

I like the logic behind the Jeweled McCaw example and I wouldn't be upset if a "new card" is a blatant rip off of an awesome card that rotated out.