How to counter Kingsbane?

Play Mode Discussion
Contrary to popular belief, early game oozes/Harrison Jones are pretty effective against KB. It's an extremely draw reliant deck, and every time you blow up KB it makes them have to play roulette with their draw, unless they got lucky and already shadow stepped a Shinyfinder.

Even still, you can get unlucky and they promptly draw it or another Shinyfinder. But having played the deck quite a few times, its actually quite an issue if you have already used one of your precious shinyfinders to pull KB, and then it promptly gets blown and buried back in your deck. Delaying KB by even a couple turns can easily make the difference, allowing a fast deck to close them out or giving a combo/control deck the time they need to bring their own deck to bear.
kings bane is only good against slow control and fatigue decks, if you play any aggro deck they cant keep up. they dont have any aoe damage other than fan of knives which only does one damage.

Frost lich jaina is also good. Freezing their face every turn means they cant swing.
The problem with Kingsbane is that there just is in fact ZERO counters in this game to it. There are no weapon silences, no weapon transmuters. Only destruction, which Kingsbane's deathrattle LAUGHS at. The card was specifically designed to be uncounterable. The ONLY places where it's vulnerable are in the hand and deck, but due to the toxic nature of hand & deck destruction as mechanics, they've (THANKFULLY) tried VERY HARD to avoid printing hand/deck destruction cards, for the most part.

The problem is that Kingsbane ABUSES this game's lack of preemptive destruction mechanics & lack of suitable niche anti-weapon cards to run over any deck that isn't brainless "turn right to win." Fortunately, ladder is in fact overpopulated with "turn right to win," so Kingsbane doesn't show up TOO often, but still way more often than it should be allowed.
The actual, honestly it works counter is DK Jaina. It does them no good if you can constantly Ice their character while it has Kingsbane equipped.
That is basically a god draw for kingsbane. I wouldn't expect to beat any deck's god draw easily.

That being said, put out all the pressure you can and run weapon destruction. It may seem futile, but it slows them down a ton so you can beat them in the mid game
08/06/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Pika310
The problem with Kingsbane is that there just is in fact ZERO counters in this game to it. There are no weapon silences, no weapon transmuters. Only destruction, which Kingsbane's deathrattle LAUGHS at. The card was specifically designed to be uncounterable. The ONLY places where it's vulnerable are in the hand and deck, but due to the toxic nature of hand & deck destruction as mechanics, they've (THANKFULLY) tried VERY HARD to avoid printing hand/deck destruction cards, for the most part.

The problem is that Kingsbane ABUSES this game's lack of preemptive destruction mechanics & lack of suitable niche anti-weapon cards to run over any deck that isn't brainless "turn right to win." Fortunately, ladder is in fact overpopulated with "turn right to win," so Kingsbane doesn't show up TOO often, but still way more often than it should be allowed.

There are loads of anti-weapon cards. They just don't remove KB permanently. But then, given that would be an instant loss for a KB deck that doesn't seem so unreasonable. Never mind the fact that blowing up a KB is still an effective means of slowing it down considerably, its just luck dependent because sometimes your opponent gets lucky and its goes back in the top of his/her deck, or Minstrel pulls Shinyfinders when they are most needed.

KB isn't an oppressive deck by any means. Just because drawing an Ooze isn't an instant win against it doesn't mean the deck has no counters. Not everything requires a hard counter, soft counters are still a thing and given that its a deck that ramps up slowly, giving you ample opportunities to kill the KB, having hard counters freely available would make the deck unworkable.
08/06/2018 06:39 AMPosted by OilyWarlock
By playing aggro.

^Says someone who has never played against Kingsbane.
I love and hate Kingsbane Rogue. Because the concept is so cool. However, it's also pretty oppressive to play against. Especially in Wild. Let me put it to you this way. You will see Kingsbane Rogue as early as rank 20 in Wild, and it can get frustrating. If you cannot beat Kingsbane, you will struggle with the lower ranks of Ladder in Wild. It is what it is.

It's not even that Kingsbane itself should be such a problem. It's just. ... How many classes have a decent amount of answers to Kingsbane?

Mage, freeze them to death.
Shaman, Outrace them using Even Shaman.

Other than that, play a ton of taunt minions, and get ready for the long game. Those are the ways I've personally found to deal with Kingsbane.

Look, Kingsbane players. I get it. You're having fun with your really powerful legendary weapon. Fair enough. Well, there needs to be a few more answers to the crap you're pulling to keep things balanced! /rant. ... Anyways, hoping Boomsday, and possibly the set after that provides a creative solution or two to Kingsbane. It's not even like I want to knock Kingsbane out of existence. Leave the weapon as it is. I just think there needs to be enough answers to Kingsbane that deck diversity isn't affected if you are looking to compete against Kingsbane. Although, would it really make that much difference late game if Kingsbane was 2 or 3 mana instead? So, on the other hand, if it gets nerfed, it's not like it's going to slow things down THAT much.
I discovered lately that kingsbane is incredibly effective against hunter too, recruit, egg and spell hunter alike. It destroys them even more than it does to warlock, even or cube or zoo, so it depends on what kind of aggro are you talking. Against odd paladin it's pretty 50-50, odd rogue you can win only if you draw leeching poison immediately.
it isn't so much about Blizzard deciding what type of game it is ,it is mor eabout the poor game design.
Your opponent can make multiple plays and you can't do nothing but wait your turn.That is a NON interactive design.Being able to interact AFTER the fact is too late,using your example,they already buffed kingsbane ,they already played Kingsbane.
The fact the design is poorly thought out is seen during tournament play,the announcers and or pros will often or always state how one deck is favored over the other and often it is VERY much favored.
Well by having a stack and creating more reactive cards as well having a sideboard creates a MUCH more interactive and thoughtful game process.
As is now you'll here pro streamers as they already know EXACTLY what is coming down next.the game and plays are sadly THAT predictable.

What is even more sad is we often here,aggro is a no brainer deck,just go face.Well when you are playing small minions of the 1/3 2/4 or 3/2 value ,you are not going to compete late game against strong non interactive decks like Maly druid or other otk combo decks.

The game had SOME potential early on,people said wait and give it time.Well over time EVERY single top deck became a one dimensional deck build>>>cheat mana.Guess what you could do about cheating mana...NOTHING.
08/05/2018 04:20 AMPosted by Drib
I was wondering are openers too decisive in some games?

Some scenarios :

You have multiple board clears for early aggro then you get smashed up by Giants and other big threats early on.

You have multiple hard removals and then you get smashed up by Aggro.

Or you have these removals and then get killed by a turn 5 Spellstone for 4 x 3/3, or a Level Up.

There seems to be not much where you can have a "Good game" which goes to and fro. Just feels like my opponent played his minions / recruits and I could not respond because either
A I did,nt have enough removals, or
B, My removals were at the bottom,
C, He could ignore my minions and go face,
D Not enough heals.

What is the secret to a Good Game guys ?? All I am asking for is a game where my success is not dependant on either drawing well.

I guess I should play Big Spell Mage thinking about it due to the number of hard removals and early removals they can run.

I just wish Blizzard would decide what type of game Hearthstone is as it cannot seem to work at the moment due to the fact that some archtypes against others is basically a cakewalk.

Do they want a Aggro based game so all games will last 2-3 mins and players die by turn 3-5 or do they want a game where people play their decks and respond to board states.

Why you can't have both mixed to create far more experiences?

Or now you wanna speak to me that respond to things faster as you can with what you can play the best way possible isn't actually a skill?

Sorry to pop control players bubble but it is skill and if your control deck can be cheesed that way than it is fault of the way your deck is build and not from the game.

Fast games are part of a complete gaming experience as much as grindy long games. Simple as that.
It's a degenerate deck to play against with a good start.
08/05/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Facerolled
Need to play hyper aggro to burst them before they can get their nonsense off.
and thus is the problem with the game right now.
Kingsbane is busted. Period. We need and deserve a weapon silence card. It would be useful against a TON of other weapons too. Eater of secrets exists and that card was played a lot. It murdered secret decks quite often and that was OK with everyone. So why would a weapon silence card be "unfair" to stupid kingsbane decks? Too damned bad.... I silenced your weapon. Suck it. Add other win conditions to your deck or play something else.

KB is one of the worst things ever to happen to the human race.
Waah! Waaaaaah!
My control deck still sometimes loses against stuff.
Blizz, fix it or imma cry moar.

10/19/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Mikey
Add other win conditions to your deck or play something else

Can you explain to me the second win condition in your control deck?
Because, judging from your post history, i doubt that it even has one, and that would make you quite the hipocrite.
Weapon silence sounds good, just give Kinsbane an “Un-silencable” keyword, and everything is good in the world.

Slow control players get what they want, kingsbane players get to keep their tier 3 deck. It’s a win-win.
10/19/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Mikey
Kingsbane is busted. Period. We need and deserve a weapon silence card. It would be useful against a TON of other weapons too. Eater of secrets exists and that card was played a lot. It murdered secret decks quite often and that was OK with everyone. So why would a weapon silence card be "unfair" to stupid kingsbane decks? Too damned bad.... I silenced your weapon. Suck it. Add other win conditions to your deck or play something else.

KB is one of the worst things ever to happen to the human race.

Since I play wild only that is my contribution to this discussion.

Tldr; nerf coldlight, make silence able to target weapons

The only way the silence rule would work Is if it let all silence affects be able to target either creatures or weapons. Otherwise you would have to run a card that would be terrible against everything else.

Skulking giest type answers is not going to help this game long term if degenerate strategies continue to increase.

But even then there is the mill gameplan which auto beats slow decks. Which coldlight Oracle is guilty for.

Honestly I think a coldlight nerf is warranted. I think it would be enough to avoid a kingsbane nerf for wild and keep the harmless strategy in standard in tact.
08/07/2018 04:42 AMPosted by Emrakul
I love and hate Kingsbane Rogue. Because the concept is so cool. However, it's also pretty oppressive to play against. Especially in Wild. Let me put it to you this way. You will see Kingsbane Rogue as early as rank 20 in Wild, and it can get frustrating. If you cannot beat Kingsbane, you will struggle with the lower ranks of Ladder in Wild. It is what it is.

It's not even that Kingsbane itself should be such a problem. It's just. ... How many classes have a decent amount of answers to Kingsbane?

Mage, freeze them to death.
Shaman, Outrace them using Even Shaman.

Other than that, play a ton of taunt minions, and get ready for the long game. Those are the ways I've personally found to deal with Kingsbane.

Look, Kingsbane players. I get it. You're having fun with your really powerful legendary weapon. Fair enough. Well, there needs to be a few more answers to the crap you're pulling to keep things balanced! /rant. ... Anyways, hoping Boomsday, and possibly the set after that provides a creative solution or two to Kingsbane. It's not even like I want to knock Kingsbane out of existence. Leave the weapon as it is. I just think there needs to be enough answers to Kingsbane that deck diversity isn't affected if you are looking to compete against Kingsbane. Although, would it really make that much difference late game if Kingsbane was 2 or 3 mana instead? So, on the other hand, if it gets nerfed, it's not like it's going to slow things down THAT much.
the post is spot on the money.
I'd also like to add I've seen alot of kingsbane at rank 10 lately.

Also to add: it and big priest plagues casual mode. It's almost like people know this is where people want to experiment with fun decks, and so these kingsbane players with no soul decide to crap on the fun.
Skulking needs to remove all 1 cost cards, not just spells.