Losing Interest

New Player Tavern
I began playing this game prior to summer beginning, and enjoyed it for a while. However, I've been in a bad luck streak and I'm just losing all hope for this game. Any time I think I create a good deck, I'm beaten into the ground and think that my deck is horrible. With this bad streak of losses, I wanna quit the game for good, just because it's so difficult and frustrating with these matches. Can't even get more packs often enough from Arena or the current Tavern Brawl event because of how many players have great luck with picks or "meta" decks. The only reason I keep playing is that I bought the starter pack for the game, and I want to make the most out of any games I make any purchase for. Can anyone spark my interest back into this game as the same day I first begun playing this?
If you been playing for 2-3 months you've likely opened at least a dozen legendary cards and lots of other stuff.

Are you playing a Tier 1 or Tier 2 meta deck yourself? If not, do you have the cards to make one, or bad cards you can dust to get the cards needed?

Homebrew decks just aren't going to compete with meta decks, no matter how 'good' they appear to be.

There are competitive decks where the legendary cards can be subbed. Zoo runs a couple of legendary cards but none of them are absolutely crucial to the list. Other than those, it doesn't even run epics. In most metas there are usually budget decklists that are competitive.

Make a good meta deck and see if your mood improves.
It is pointless trying to play to win in this game unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money and then copy netdecks.

And knowing that you can't get your interest back as you now know that is a fact and that actually playing any other way will fail. Miserably.

If you want to play you have to have another driver such as just to collect the cards and ignore how much you lose.

The only daily quest of win x games I can consider is with a druid as it is my strongest deck, if I try with any other character it is just pot luck being as I don't have any legendaries or strong cards for them.

It is so pointless I just keep swapping them every day until they change to play x cards.

Your only other option is to go and play something else - preferably retail and complete - where you will actually stand a chance and enjoy being able to compete.
08/19/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Halo572
It is pointless trying to play to win in this game unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money and then copy netdecks.

There are budget decks in every meta that are highly competitive. Money isn't part of the equation. It takes about a month to build up a little collection, and after that you should be competitive. Sooner if you get lucky on one of your Frozen Throne legendaries.
Hello! I know it can be discouraging. Especially when you really want to get good at the game you are playing, but you have to start out in the rough. We can be friends if you like, and I'll happily help you do quests and we can practice battles and what not. It'll be great!

Taco#12845 | North America
08/18/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Bobb
If you been playing for 2-3 months you've likely opened at least a dozen legendary cards and lots of other stuff.

Are you playing a Tier 1 or Tier 2 meta deck yourself? If not, do you have the cards to make one, or bad cards you can dust to get the cards needed?

Homebrew decks just aren't going to compete with meta decks, no matter how 'good' they appear to be.

There are competitive decks where the legendary cards can be subbed. Zoo runs a couple of legendary cards but none of them are absolutely crucial to the list. Other than those, it doesn't even run epics. In most metas there are usually budget decklists that are competitive.

Make a good meta deck and see if your mood improves.

Sorry, was unfortunately wrapped up with a lot of stuff and forgot about this post. Sure, I've got roughly about a dozen legendary cards now, but none of them match any meta decks. Baron Geddon, Kathrina Winterwisp, Stargazer Luna, Edwin Vancleef, Lillian Voss, Soularium, Linda Crowskin, and Bloodreaver Gul'dan. None of these match any amount of meta decks yet, and even if I manage to scrounge up a near meta deck, there are others using more metas that counter it and it's essentially a hopeless fight.
Geddon and Luna!
Van Cleef and Voss!
Soularium, Guldan and Glinda!

Man, my Millhouse Manastorm and Duskfallen Aviana would like a word with you.
09/22/2018 07:02 PMPosted by FrostyDog

Sorry, was unfortunately wrapped up with a lot of stuff and forgot about this post. Sure, I've got roughly about a dozen legendary cards now, but none of them match any meta decks. Baron Geddon, Kathrina Winterwisp, Stargazer Luna, Edwin Vancleef, Lillian Voss, Soularium, Linda Crowskin, and Bloodreaver Gul'dan. None of these match any amount of meta decks yet, and even if I manage to scrounge up a near meta deck, there are others using more metas that counter it and it's essentially a hopeless fight.

None of them match any meta deck? Lilian Voss and Glinda Crowskin are not usually played, but the others...

Baron Geddon is common in big spell mage and other slow mage decks (although that's because of the combination with Frost Lich Jaina)
Kathrena Winterisp is a key card in deathrattle hunter
Stargazer Luna is staple in tempo mage
Edwin Vancleef is common in odd rogue, staple in tempo rogue
The Soularium is common in Zoolock
Bloodreaver Gul'dan is in half of all Warlock decks
09/22/2018 07:02 PMPosted by FrostyDog
even if I manage to scrounge up a near meta deck, there are others using more metas that counter it and it's essentially a hopeless fight.

I think you have unrealistic expectations. I don't know the source (perhaps watching how well many streamers perform?) but you seem to believe that people 'out there' having these mysterious high win decks that win 4 out of 5 games. If any such deck existed, everybody would be playing it, and in days the win rate would be stuck at 50% until the meta shifted again.

Most meta decks have win rates that range from slightly below 50% to slightly above 50%. So yeah, if you craft a meta deck, it will have competition, but so do all of the other decks out there. Not even one percent of Hearthstone players are Legend ranked, and it is in that less than 1% that the streamers dwell. So you may see Trump win 17 ranked games in a row (much less likely now that the ranks reset much higher) but that's not a realistic thing for most players.

Hearthstone and similar games are more of a 3 steps forward, 1 step back sort of thing at best. More often it's a lot of win/lose/win/lose. At ranks below 5, a lot of ranking is achieved on occasional win streaks. Legend is a marathon race, not a sprint.

Nobody can convince you that the game isn't "hopeless" if you're expecting much more than a 50% win rate. If you are somebody who plays a lot of board games and wins a disproportional amount of them because you're a big fish in a small pond, the shock of finding yourself in a deep ocean full of Hearthstone sharks may just be too much for you. There is no magic bullet or super secret tech that is going to make your deck far superior to others, and if you did manage to find such a thing, it would soon be copied by the players losing to it.

The only reason to stick around is if you enjoy the challenge and are up to the task of playing near-perfect games.
Edwin VanCleef?
You can try to make a combo rogue deck with him.

And remember, there is always Wild, which is indeed more expensive but the meta is so slow to change and what is good here, will probably be good tomorrow. Even if tomorrow the next expansion drops.
09/24/2018 06:24 PMPosted by Bobb
I think you have unrealistic expectations. I don't know the source (perhaps watching how well many streamers perform?) but you seem to believe that people 'out there' having these mysterious high win decks that win 4 out of 5 games. If any such deck existed, everybody would be playing it, and in days the win rate would be stuck at 50% until the meta shifted again.

I think this is the main source of angst for new players in this game. Most players who have never ranked above 10 don't realize that even the best decks only have about a 60% win rate. So even the best players are losing four games out of ten. Streamers don't consistently hit legend by ROFL-stomping noobs to Legend on day one. Instead, they put in a forty-hour work week (after starting at rank 5) to hit legend. After a two-month hiatus, I took a 60% win-rate deck from HSReplay and quickly climbed from rank 18 to rank 13 with an 80% win rate. After that, the games started getting challenging again, and I normalized to about a 60% win rate by about rank 12.

If your goal is to climb, then roping every turn to get the optimal play is not the most efficient way to go. Increasing from a 55% to a 60% win rate won't help your climb as much as cranking through games as quickly as possible. In my experience, no one is roping in ranks 1-3. They're just there to get their games finished so they can climb.

Contrary to popular belief, deck quality is secondary to experience. Once you're at rank 10 or so, everyone you'll face on the ladder is going to be playing a top-tier deck. The way to win against them is to first understand your deck's win condition against each particular matchup. Then you have to get lucky enough to draw into the win condition. Finally, you have to understand that you're only going to win 60% of the games on a good day. That means you're still losing almost half the time. If that bothers you, then this probably isn't the game for you.
And if free to play you really do have to commit to just one deck and accept that you won't be able to play most of what you see on streams... or accept the occasional 50 game losing streak in casual.

Especially because you only get 1 mmr in each type. So if you ever play your good decks in casual your weak decks get crushed...

All that said there is fun to be had in mastering decks. Mulligans are hard.
I guess you guys are right, I have been overthinking how good decks are. Lose streaks just make me think that it isnt as great as I originally thought. Thanks.
10/03/2018 03:47 PMPosted by FrostyDog
I guess you guys are right, I have been overthinking how good decks are. Lose streaks just make me think that it isnt as great as I originally thought. Thanks.

It is a common tendency that plagues newbies and veterans alike, overvaluing the effect a "good deck" will have on your winrate.

That being said, there is the current problem where polarising matchups are creating the feeling where decisions aren't mattering in certain games, eg: an aggro deck vs Odd Warrior.

If you are losing a lot of games, perhaps some brushing up on gameplay will help.

https://tempostorm.com/articles/fundamental-theories-of-hearthstone-and-how-they-improve-your-play

(yeah, some of the specific cards are outdated, but general concepts apply)
add me asap ill get you sorted, and teach you, i can let you borrow the deck i think you should craft and see how you like it, it's called Odd Rogue, should be about 5-6k dust, anyway's add me, its very easy to get bad information and not know how to find resources for hearthstone, so i can help you gumby#1898
Keep in mind. making a deck isnt going to win you games if you do not get a fundamental understanding of how to pilot the deck.
Lets say you make a even warlock deck, and use guldan. you have to have an idea of the decklists of your opponents. what they may respond with to your plays. plan ahead for responding plays you will make against their plays etc.

even lock has decent synergies with lowering your life total to buff 2 of your demons from 4/4 to 7/7 with taunt. hand size total for lowering cost of your giants.
(turn 3-4 8/8)

then an extra factor with guldan is bringing back your dead demons for a power play and a hero power that does 3 dmg to a target while healing you 3 health.

you can analyze multiple decks and make them, but you have to know how to play them and have an idea of what to expect from your opponent to win games more often. This could mean losing with the same deck 10-20 games. then winning up to 50% of your games, then eventually winning 60-70% of your games etc.
all depends on the deck your using and your experience/knowledge of the game combined with your abiity to strategize your plays.
if you are loosing interest its because of bad meta. they just want your money. as blizzard has always been.
10/26/2018 02:20 PMPosted by HaRrYMcFly
if you are loosing interest its because of bad meta. they just want your money. as blizzard has always been.

You are a whiny little b$#*%, aren't you? Why do you spend time on the forum of a game which you obviously don't like?
10/27/2018 02:31 AMPosted by Flyveskalle
10/26/2018 02:20 PMPosted by HaRrYMcFly

You are a whiny little b$#*%, aren't you? Why do you spend time on the forum of a game which you obviously don't like?

Because he's highly invested with his main account and can't stand that he loses so much with access to good cards. No actual new player does this amount of whining. If they like it, they stay; if they don't, they leave. Only someone highly invested in the game (at least timewise) gets this worked up over things. A couple of his posts are rages against losing to a rarely seen meme deck :)