Odd Rogue

Play Mode Discussion
So I just hit 500 wins yesterday with Hunter (hooray!) and added golden Rexxar to the other three golden hero's I've gotten so far (Mage, Shaman, and Warlock). Rogue is the next class I'm closest with so I was going to try laddering for the rest of the month with odd rogue since it has a solid win rate. However, I'm definitely pulling the overall win rate down, so I'd like to see if anyone could offer some advice on what I'm doing wrong.

I'll link a few replays to losses below. I play control decks much more often than aggro decks, so I may be mulliganing wrong or trading when I should hit face, but hopefully someone with more experience with this deck can help me out.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/oZYtA6oKYfwZSZNicB8hc4
https://hsreplay.net/replay/P9ddCu3zbkZGMB6bR2HVZB
https://hsreplay.net/replay/CE4gry5zkkwaW3HMKfbknG
https://hsreplay.net/replay/GZcVGLPaYWuvXvSGQsojSA
I don't play odd rogue but I played against a lot of them on my ranked ladder this season, some good, some sub-optimal.

So your first two games were against some good control decks, and rogue can sometimes pull out a win from under them but I think those are bad match-ups. Still, there was a point in that first game where you had a giggling inventor thrown out, and then you chose to play Fungalmancer when I would have slammed down the Blood Knight to make a massive minion. You didn't really need to care about those divine shields anyway.

Against that hunter you cannot let them breathe. I wanted to kick you for not putting down Vicious Fledgling as soon as you saw it. That is a card that could have carried that whole game for you or at least posed a serious threat to your opponent if you picked up windfury.

And as a general rule you should be aggressively mulliganing for a 1 drop, then a Henchclan Thug... so your first three turns are a nice on curve 1 drop, weapon, thug + weapon attack for great tempo.
Never keep SI:7 if you don’t have the coin.

When possible, play Cold Blood on a minion with Divine Shield.

Druid and Warrior are very difficult due to the armor. Additionally, Druid kills you with Naturalize if you Myra’s, but sometimes you don’t have the luxury of not playing it.

Be super mindful of Warlock’s control tools and you should always try to play around them.

Rippers are excellent against Shaman and classes that use Doomsayer, be careful and selective about cracking eggs, though.
I’ve been using Odd Rogue this month on my legend grind. While I’d love to help, I’m not sure if I have the data to watch those replays till I get home tonight.

In the meantime, I can give you some general tips.

1: General Mulligan Rules: Always keep at least one NON-Southsea Deckhand one drop. Two is fine too. Throw back deadly poison and cold blood.

For three drops, you want to keep Hench Clan and Vicious, plus Edwin if you have the support for him.

All other 3 drops and five drops are generally to be thrown back. (SI: 7 Agent included usually. You don’t want to coin and play him turn 2, and turn 3 you really want that fledgling or Hench clan thug, so usually he’s going to end up being a turn 4 or later play.)

2: General play tips:

Think VERY carefully about your hero power usage. If it’s not after turn 9 and you’re popping hero power before your weapon is fully broken, odds are that you screwed up somewhere along the line.

That doesn’t mean attack constantly, but plan out your future turns so you know about when your next refresh will be.

Also, know when to use your attack pumpers (cold blood and deadly poison). In a lot of control matchups, Cold Blood comes out early for both face burn and to pull out a removal. Similarly, Deadly poison often becomes a burn spell there.

On a similar note, know both your role and when to use your hero power and similar effects for removal or burn. It’s going to vary a lot based on matchup — against Zoo, I usually win by snowballing my opponent into the ground with Hench or vicious, so my hero power often gets used as removal. Against Cube Lock, face often is the place.

You’re aggro, but that doesn’t mean you’re stupid.

I hope all this helped you. If you feel you could use a coach, add me. I’m Khaldun #1161.

If not, I’ll check out replays tonight.
08/22/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Khaldun
I’ve been using Odd Rogue this month on my legend grind. While I’d love to help, I’m not sure if I have the data to watch those replays till I get home tonight.

In the meantime, I can give you some general tips.

1: General Mulligan Rules: Always keep at least one NON-Southsea Deckhand one drop. Two is fine too. Throw back deadly poison and cold blood.

For three drops, you want to keep Hench Clan and Vicious, plus Edwin if you have the support for him.

All other 3 drops and five drops are generally to be thrown back. (SI: 7 Agent included usually. You don’t want to coin and play him turn 2, and turn 3 you really want that fledgling or Hench clan thug, so usually he’s going to end up being a turn 4 or later play.)

2: General play tips:

Think VERY carefully about your hero power usage. If it’s not after turn 9 and you’re popping hero power before your weapon is fully broken, odds are that you screwed up somewhere along the line.

That doesn’t mean attack constantly, but plan out your future turns so you know about when your next refresh will be.

Also, know when to use your attack pumpers (cold blood and deadly poison). In a lot of control matchups, Cold Blood comes out early for both face burn and to pull out a removal. Similarly, Deadly poison often becomes a burn spell there.

On a similar note, know both your role and when to use your hero power and similar effects for removal or burn. It’s going to vary a lot based on matchup — against Zoo, I usually win by snowballing my opponent into the ground with Hench or vicious, so my hero power often gets used as removal. Against Cube Lock, face often is the place.

You’re aggro, but that doesn’t mean you’re stupid.

I hope all this helped you. If you feel you could use a coach, add me. I’m Khaldun #1161.

If not, I’ll check out replays tonight.

Thanks, I'll add you when I get off work this evening. I appreciate the mulligan advice, I'm sure that's one place I'm making a lot of mistakes. Also when to use buffs based on matchups.

@KoolShades I think you're absolutely right about that hunter game - I probably threw that being too afraid of the egg.

I'm sure more practice will help so I'm glad I'm at a rank floor right now!

Mulligan's aren't this simple, especially in mirror matches or other games with quite predictable opening plays, and especially if you are on the coin.

In an RvR, the game often hinges around clan thug. If you are on the play you need to curve it on 3, and if you are on the coin you need to answer it on your turn 3. Keeping deadly or SI + 1 drop on the coin is perfectly acceptable to get a tempo swing against an opposing early board.
08/22/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Fake

Mulligan's aren't this simple, especially in mirror matches or other games with quite predictable opening plays, and especially if you are on the coin.

In an RvR, the game often hinges around clan thug. If you are on the play you need to curve it on 3, and if you are on the coin you need to answer it on your turn 3. Keeping deadly or SI + 1 drop on the coin is perfectly acceptable to get a tempo swing against an opposing early board.

There’s a reason I said ‘generally’ a few times in that paragraph.

There are of course exceptions, but if I did matchup by matchup mulligan guides, that post would have been a lot longer.

Like, SI: 7 is pretty good in the mirror, but in a lot of other matchups it’s not a keep unless you have a pretty specific hand.
08/22/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Khaldun

There are of course exceptions, but if I did matchup by matchup mulligan guides, that post would have been a lot longer.

Like, SI: 7 is pretty good in the mirror, but in a lot of other matchups it’s not a keep unless you have a pretty specific hand.

True, I personally just have a bit of a "thing" against "General mulligans" I feel like at the least you have to split it into 'Coin and Play' or 'Aggressive and Controlling roles'. Aggressive matchups are a lot about call and response of threats and counters, especially the mirror, and with how popular rogue is, it's not something I think you can really leave standing.

Sorry for the tone of my previous post, and this one kinda :P, just a bit of pet peeve of mine when I kinda think people over generalise.
i only watched the first game and i would have coined bloodknight and you coined the bird. maybe i would have coined against the egg hunter but thats about it. my friend said he prefers the bird but you chose stealth for the bird which is better against druid and not warlock. i know people run owl now, and that should have been meta call.

first turns are just game deciders once you lose momentum the game is over.
08/22/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Fake
08/22/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Khaldun

True, I personally just have a bit of a "thing" against "General mulligans" I feel like at the least you have to split it into 'Coin and Play' or 'Aggressive and Controlling roles'. Aggressive matchups are a lot about call and response of threats and counters, especially the mirror, and with how popular rogue is, it's not something I think you can really leave standing.

Sorry for the tone of my previous post, and this one kinda :P, just a bit of pet peeve of mine when I kinda think people over generalise.

I know, but part of the problem is that the specifics of mulliganing depend greatly upon other cards.

Case in point, last game I was facing Odd Paladin and going first, my hand was Fire Fly, Argent Squire, and Deadly poison.

This matchup depends a lot on board control and snowballing and I knew I needed a good three drop, so I tossed squire and deadly poison, picked up the other squire and fledgling, and cleared his board enough to drop an uncontested fledgling, and snowballed him into a bloody goo because he couldn’t get the time to really develop for fear of angry birdies.
Hey Maledictus, are you in US or somewhere else?
08/22/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Khaldun
Hey Maledictus, are you in US or somewhere else?

I'm in US. I tried adding you but the send request button was grayed out. I'm Maledictus#1732 if you want to try adding me.
Odd, I tried adding you. Any luck?