Why do people HAVE to emote?

Play Mode Discussion
Have to admit, "thank you" and "greetings friend" when you're forced to concede to an unwinnable polarized match up and a terrible hand can sometimes get to me if I'm feeling tired and had a long day.

I always auto-squelch on ladder now the moment I'm in a bad position or the spam begins. It just makes sense from a competitive stand point that you prevent any sources of tilt that you can.

09/18/2018 04:45 PMPosted by Fallen
Psyche outs and causing the other player to lose composure over trolling is perfectly legitimate tactics.

It's physiological warfare and belongs in every competitive game.

There's a difference in psyche outs and BM though. I love mind games in real life tcg's. Bluffs and double bluffs and competive banter can be quite complex and it adds an edge to whether you win or lose. But it's still all in a spirit of good sportsmanship.

Openly BM'ing and being rude to an opponent over and over in a real life competive game just gets you punched in the face and/or gets you a terrible reputation.
I crafted warrior hero boom and spammed emote to let my opponent see the emotes.
09/18/2018 05:07 PMPosted by LuckyTiger
09/18/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Reaver
In the beginning years of my game, I emote often because I recognized it as a norm where I would greet a player before a game, and had made many friends.

As times went by, I learnt of the stuffs such as BM, etc.... now, I don't emote anymore.

I have got "brainwashed" to equate emote to BM, but hope that I can get back to my more innocent days where I can mean what I mean, and not be misunderstood.

I definitely know what you mean,(no pun intended) if you look at how toxic people can be, just think of it. People EMOTING, not even a full chat, is used as a "scare tactic" as some guy said above. When I really didn't understand why people emoted at all other than before the game, or a well played after, I was trying to understand. Then, I get all these reasons as of trying to piss people off, or to annoy them so they get distracted. If that's the case, then every 12 year old on MW2 would drive everyone insane. And it's pretty sad that people friend request me talking about how my family is going to get cancer from their !@#$%. Quite ridiculous, and it drove my girlfriend away from playing the game.

People may emote due to a wide variety of reasons,
- to disrupt the opponent's concentration
- to entertain ownself, as he/she has nothing much else to do on opponent's turn
- to express ownself's feeling with or without other meanings
- check out in game emotes function and effect (or hidden easter eggs)

etc, etc

Even then, a player maybe using emotes innocently while the next day use it for BM. Reminds me of a IRL situation where someone may smile at you, but you may never know what is behind that smile.........
Out of interest, has anyone's play experience ever been enriched by an opponent's emote? I mean, naturally for a person who does so, a BM emote is exhilarating, but does a "Greetings" at the beginning of a game enrich someone's day? Or maybe more extremely, does an opponent's BM enrich someone's day?

I am personally 100% ambivalent towards emotes and mainly use them when playing friends when there's an actual meaning behind them (and chat going on as well).

A random stranger going "Well played" when I beat him or get beaten by him doesn't sway me one way or another.
09/18/2018 02:22 PMPosted by LuckyTiger
09/18/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Swift
Because it makes people react - negatively, positively, doesn't matter.

Judging by this post, the emoter succeeded with flying colors.

I have been banned for less. Careful.
09/19/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Lemminkäinen
Out of interest, has anyone's play experience ever been enriched by an opponent's emote? I mean, naturally for a person who does so, a BM emote is exhilarating, but does a "Greetings" at the beginning of a game enrich someone's day? Or maybe more extremely, does an opponent's BM enrich someone's day?

I am personally 100% ambivalent towards emotes and mainly use them when playing friends when there's an actual meaning behind them (and chat going on as well).

A random stranger going "Well played" when I beat him or get beaten by him doesn't sway me one way or another.

I find people using the threaten emote before conceding amusing and a well placed "wow" can be really funny.
Personally I don't mind if my opponent uses any of the emotes at any point of the game, its just a text after all.

I used to throw out a "Well played" emote at the end of the game unless the game ended fairly quick in a non-competitive way. But since people are too sensitive and take it differently, or assume that I don't mean "well played" when I say so, I don't use any emotes anymore
Emoting is interacting imo. Sometimes emotes includes bming, such as Thank You when you concede but those players you are talking about might have just said Well Played. That is always nice.

The way I heard, some use it to mean "Thank you for the match", an alternative way to mean gg.
Or they're trying to call you a dirtbag for playing aggro
I'm not going to lie.

Seeing someone add you in-game after you're done using one emote the whole game, and it happened to be "Impressive."; only to unleash a barrage of insecure insults and questions; is quite amusing.

Provoking certain reactions from people. Watching them dance like you'd expect them to - or breaking the mold - is quite entertaining. That's why Sherlock Holmes is a fun character.
The other day, I got Moorabi from one of Sindragosa's tokens. I was losing, hoping for a hail Mary but ended up with Moorabi. I played him, used Medivh's "nothing can stop me" threat and conceded. I have to entertain myself somehow.

I find politely emoting hello and well played helps when I'm trying to add friends.

The only time I bm is, as someone already said, when someone is spamming emotes and then I beat them. They get some spam back.

My play experience has never been lessened in anyway by an opponents emote. Heck, Kel'thuzad is still my favorite game boss (not limited to hearthstone, and I have a pretty large collection amassed over my lifetime) specifically because of his emotes.

As for that part I bolded from your post; I don't treat emotes from "you" on ladder any differently than I would from my friends or family. Why would I? What reason do I have to assume that "Greetings" or "Well Played" is being used differently just because I don't know the person on the other side?
I turned off all music/sound effects for the game and manually squelch every opponent. I never know how people are going to take anything so I just keep to myself.

If you want to be social in the gaming world, you have to be an a-hole.

You can't pass by a Horde/Alliance low level in contested territory without ganking or corpse guarding - WTF is wrong with you?

Um...I'm not a bully and I'm too high level to use their gear? It doesn't make any logical sense. And then everyones' heads exploded.
09/18/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Wardrum
Why do people teabag on FPS games?

Gloating about victories in multiplayer games however large or small, always has and will continue to be a thing.

Welcome to competitive gaming on the interwebs.

Here's the thing, tea-bagging in FPS is not that awful because you can still get your revenge after you respawn. And we can probably agree that we have more control(require more skill) over the results of an FPS game, so losing in FPS doesn't sting as much.

But in hearthstone, there is no such thing as a rematch(unless you happen to queue into the same player), so them gloating and you never having the chance to answer back + the rng involved in these games just makes players hate gloating way more.
09/19/2018 03:31 PMPosted by aoXSlo
09/18/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Wardrum
Why do people teabag on FPS games?

Gloating about victories in multiplayer games however large or small, always has and will continue to be a thing.

Welcome to competitive gaming on the interwebs.

Here's the thing, tea-bagging in FPS is not that awful because you can still get your revenge after you respawn. And we can probably agree that we have more control(require more skill) over the results of an FPS game, so losing in FPS doesn't sting as much.

But in hearthstone, there is no such thing as a rematch(unless you happen to queue into the same player), so them gloating and you never having the chance to answer back + the rng involved in these games just makes players hate gloating way more.
The reasons for doing it are still the same.

Going "ha, got you!" upon some form of victory, with anywhere for little to no douchebaggery intended behind it. It's how many people naturally behave in a competitive environment, further exacerbated by the anonymity of the internet and personal toxicity (elevated by tilt, bad attitude in general, etc) of the individuals participating.

People will literally gloat about rock paper scissors. At the end of the day, skill doesn't have to be involved for someone to gloat over a win.
I was just talking to my wife about Bartle’s taxonomy and it got me wondering about how Hearthstone approaches the matter.

A brief summary of the taxonomy is this: gamers can be described by their relative position along two axes: one defining environmental to social interaction and the other being action or interaction. In each quadrant you end up with player types: social interacters are socializers, they get enjoyment from socializing with other players. Environment interacters are explorers, their enjoyment comes from finding new places and interesting game mechanics. Environment active are achievers, their enjoyment comes from leveling up and ‘beating the game’. And social actors are killers, they get their enjoyment from beating other players.

So to answer the question of why an individual feels compelled to emote is really asking where they fall on the axes: the fact that they emote likely puts them on the social end, and the aim they seek to achieve by emoting describes their action/interaction location.

What would be interesting is to try and project what Hearthstone’s makeup is across the four archetypes. Browse the Auto-Squelch thread and you’re likely to find Achievers who feel the game has far more Killers than Socializers and feel the game would be better off without either.

I don’t know if a full picture of HS player’s psychographic profiles would even be possible (a poll here or Reddit would be horribly self-selecting) but it is interesting to think about.
09/18/2018 01:56 PMPosted by LuckyTiger
I know this sounds like a complain, but it's a legitemate question. Little bit of background: I get into a match, and I immediately squelch. Sometimes I see their character get highlighted, but what I'm getting at is at the end of the game. When the match is finished, or one of us concedes, usually I see them trying to emote, and btw, you have to be quick as hell to get that in. But, I am especially talking about when I concede, it seems like people make it their life mission to hit that emote button, I just don't see the reward for that.

Why does it bother you, is the real question.
09/18/2018 01:56 PMPosted by LuckyTiger
But, I am especially talking about when I concede, it seems like people make it their life mission to hit that emote button, I just don't see the reward for that.

I am currently sitting as a spectator at a chess tournament and wanted to expand on this question.

I've answered before from the perspective of an athlete. However, I'm currently watching 172 kids with ages ranging from 6 to 12 play a board game. The number 1 rule all of them were told, even more important than knowing how the pieces move, was that the first move of the game is shaking your opponents hand and saying good luck or have fun and the last move of the game is to shake their hand again and say good game. It appears that being taught good sportsmanship is not limited to sports as some have indicated when I brought it up in the past.

I have no doubt at all that anyone who was raised participating in or even just being around any competitive activity is going to reach for that "Well Played" emote quite frequently because they have been conditioned from a very early age to do so (the younger chess players were 6, but my younger siblings were still in diapers when they started attending my sports events). NOT doing so just feels wrong (my personal opinion, but one I believe to be widely shared).
Hearthstone Deck Tracker and Auto Squelch Add-on
This is literally the best thing anyone could ever do with their HS life ever.

Don't keep waiting for Blizzard to add Auto-Squelcher. This game is how old?
They have no intention to ever add the feature to the game, but it still exists!