Effects of MTG Arena?

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Are we as a community worried about the release of MTG Arena?

It seems like this is one of a couple card games coming out to challenge hearthstone. What effect, if any, will these games have on the game? I'm curious what Blizzard will do to keep its player base invested with more competition coming out.
Those who like simplicity and easy skill based games with LOTS OF REPETITION will stick with Hearthstone. I mean when you can just play your hand the same each and every game without any concern what the other player has and get your wins...

Those who like games with depth and skill and a challenge will migrate to MTGA.

I see posters who have spent all their time here since beta and have such vast collection of cards, dust and coin that they can rule the top forever and always. They get easy wins every day and thats what they like. Playing a game they will hardly ever lose by AI design.
Not worried at all. First off, MTGA has atm no mobile version. Until it does it is missing out on a hugely profitable market with a ton of players. Playing HS anywhere anytime is a big draw. Secondly, they are radically different games that are attractive to very different players. Sure you have some like me that use to play MTG and still would be happy to, but the complexity of MTG is a big barrier to many. Anytime I play commander irl with a newbie, it takes a LOT of explaining to get going and they constantly (and understandably) need help. Many get frustrated especially if god forbid they face a blue player who counters their every move and quit right there. HS is quite unique in its style and simplicity, and that makes it more appealing to more casual players. So to sum it up, not concerned at all really. If HS were a MTG clone yeah I'd be concerned, but it really is quite different in numerous aspects. If anyone should be scared its Eternal. Seriously it is MTG lite and now that the OG is here it is probably dead. Oh and finally the mana system is both the the best and worst part of MTG. Yeah it allows for crazy combos and all, but you will lose games where you can literally do nothing and be totally unable to play your cards. That feeling is probably one of the worst in CCGs, because you are legitametely helpless while your face gets pounded in due to too much land, too little, or drawing the wrong colors.
10/04/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Brandybuck
Are we as a community worried about the release of MTG Arena?

I like both for different reasons so I have no real worry. I think both can exist as well in a healthy financial and competitive state as well as both games leverage a different audience and are not similar in how, at least, I enjoy CCGs

10/04/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Slimjim
Those who like simplicity and easy skill based games with LOTS OF REPETITION will stick with Hearthstone. I mean when you can just play your hand the same each and every game without any concern what the other player has and get your wins...

Those who like games with depth and skill and a challenge will migrate to MTGA.

MtG in general will have repetition once you climb the ladder/start doing Arena Constructed mode. The access to information is greater than 'back int he day' and you're looking at a player pool much larger than the one at your card shop. At the lower ranks I do think MtG will have more diversity but as the 'funnel narrows' you'll see diversity shrink... at least I did in closed beta.

10/04/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Hazama
If HS were a MTG clone yeah I'd be concerned, but it really is quite different in numerous aspects.

Yep... I think both can exist with good financial success.
Nah, bro, hearthstone is a perfectly designed and balanced game that everybody loves. They should just stay the course and everyone will continue enjoying it forever.

It's not as if hearthstone design team has people that were fired from Magic design team. Then I'd be worried.
If you fancy spending $1,000 dollars just to build a competitive deck that may or may not be viable in 3 months then that may be the game for you.

I'm no blizzard fanboy just a realist. HS has a vast majority of the market for CCG's, and I can't fathom much of the playerbase leaving just to pay for a much higher priced game.
10/04/2018 12:42 PMPosted by deoxyribos
If you fancy spending $1,000 dollars just to build a competitive deck that may or may not be viable in 3 months then that may be the game for you.

I'm no blizzard fanboy just a realist. HS has a vast majority of the market for CCG's, and I can't fathom much of the playerbase leaving just to pay for a much higher priced game.
Especially when people think HS is expensive as is. Wait till they realize they need 4 copies of a single mythic to be competative. XD
They can both co-exist. No CCG is going to seriously harm the other.

If you want an example of games that COULDN'T co-exist, then look no further than Overwatch vs. Lawbreakers.
I'm not worried. MtGA is another player in the market, and more competition is always a good thing. There is certainly no reason to think that MtGA is somehow going to be a "Hearthstone killer".

Hearthstone stripped out instants, interrupts, and hand/mana destruction in order to have quicker, simpler gameplay that could be played in 5 to 10 minute bites on a mobile device.

MtGA has more depth and complexity, but it takes longer and (so far) isn't on mobile devices.

They really do hit at different styles, so there's no reason why both can't co-exist in the market just fine.
Mtg: First major playable tcg. Created for hardback, made to be played irl. Only just have they figured out how to make a digital multi player version, which still has problems due to the nature of >instant speed< interaction UI.

Hearthstone: Recent, perfected, simplified ccg made in the image of its predecessors. Created for online template, implements vast amounts of RNG.

While they are similar they cover two different niches. I can play hs from anywhere, and its quick ‘n easy design makes it non committal which is valuable, where as some Mtg matches end up looking like 50 tokens staring eachother down on either side of the board.

On the other hand, my Mtg cube is a gem and hs will never reach that level of depth.

Both valid.
Why would you as a consumer be worried? Serious competition benefits us. It forces the devs to make their game better than the others, give away more free stuff and make more content to stay relevant.
It's definitely tougher to play, needing up to 4 copies, too much or little land.
I played mtg at revised version for about 6 years and had a lot of fun but the huge cardbase and ton of effects gets a bit tedious to me.

I'll always love HS even though I am attempting mtga as f2p.

I couldn't even find a updated crafting guide oct 2018 when I googled it.
One think I don't like about MtG is that the cards are so difficult to read when watching on scream. The board could get extremely messy as well and it takes time to realize what's happening if you jump on in the middle of the match.

Hearthstone is a lot more streaming-friendly and its cards are kind of "in the face" with simpler and distinguishable graphics.
LOL No way.

You think Hearthstone is expensive....

plus MTG card come with a brick of nonsensical text.
Hearthstone nailed it first time round, it will never be dethroned.
MTG and HS are so different that i dont see them as competition to each other.
Worried? Nah, I'm excited!!

First off, there's an entire (rather large) share of the market that MtG:A will be completely unable to touch unless they branch out beyond PC - the mobile crowd, which includes myself.

Second, if MtG does manage to put any kind of dent in HS beyond initial switching by curious players, we as customers only stand to benefit as companies begin to vie for our time and money.

Personally, I think the two are different enough that we likely won't see any risk to HS at all, but one can hope that MtG at least manages to shake things up for the overall DCCG scene. Others couldn't do it, we'll see if WoTC has what it takes.
blue is so overplayed in MTG.
It's like counterspell in HS...every mage has it...all the time...never not expected/ran.
10/04/2018 02:31 PMPosted by SuperGnu
MTG and HS are so different that i dont see them as competition to each other.

Exactly. I'm sure there are some people out there who are interested in both, but I don't think it's a big chunk of the Hearthstone playerbase. I tried watching a few MTG:A streams on twitch and man they bore the heck out of me, but I can watch Hearthstone no problem. I just think they're very different games.

If anything, I think MTG:A and Artifact are going to be in more direct competition. They're still very different games, but they're more similar. Also, they're releasing closer to each other (assuming Artifact releases in a reasonable time after they go into open beta).
Lemme break this down for you.

Here's how attacking works.

You pick your stuff. Then wait for your opponent to select blockers and assign crap.

It's slow. In real life....this all happens fast and naturally. You cant mirror the experience online. It's the reason I, a long time previous magic player, did not ever once embrace their online games.