The one thing that mtga has

Play Mode Discussion
Turns are auto passed when you can do nothing. Lol
I'd say draft tournaments =)
10/03/2018 06:13 AMPosted by VentoSilente

This shouldn’t happen, because it gives away information about what is in your hand.
10/03/2018 06:38 AMPosted by Mand

This shouldn’t happen, because it gives away information about what is in your hand.

I'll take that over someone stalling to be obnoxious, really not much different than having an empty hand in HS, and adds an element of skill and planning. Don't let yourself get to the point where you have no plays or you announce it to your opponent.

Definitely better!

Because of all the different phases within a single turn it pretty much has to happen to make games time efficient. On the flip side it protects both players from missing opportunities to play cards during the different phases of a single turn. It’s a level playing field because it effects both players.

Plus I think you can disable it if you want.

They also have auto squelch, hmm might need to switch games...
MTGA also actually does have rigged matchmaking where they try to match you against decks with similar card quality.

Though right now it probably favors mirror matches a little too much.
Personally, I'm having a blast with MTG:Arena, although I do have a couple of issues I hope they address before the game leaves open beta. The big one is that there is no social feature. You can't have a friends list and play friendly matches against your friends. And for me, the biggest appeal of MTG:Arena would be being able to play MTG with my friends that live too far away to play the physical card game with.
Also, it would be nice if there was a way to test your decks against an AI, so you can fine tune them before bringing them against real people. Other than that, I've been really enjoying MTG:Arena.

So you can set "stops" up for each stage of each turn with a click of a button. There might be a way to make that automatically happen in the options menu, I haven't checked. But at the very least you can intentionally prevent that auto-passing to avoid giving up information. I'll get back to you on if you can make that stopping automatic.
I give Arena a go this weekend, now its in open beta...

But...you can still tell its very much still in beta.

The cards, a lot of them are totally awesome but then its magic the gathering, so you would expect that and a lot of the visual effects are great.

However, you literally can only play 1 mode as a beginner and that's Ranked play, just a 1 off game of magic. There are half a dozen other game modes but you require gems to enter the best ones, that will build your collection, ie...draft or the gold entry ones, you just get farmed for a 0-3 loss and lose gold...

So...until you can actually play, with a decent chance of winning all you can do is complete your dailys and buy packs. Hopefully, in a few months you will have the cards for a meta deck. Or of course risk forking out loads of $$$ on a game still in beta...

Not like that would help. The people that stall often have cards they can play. I mean they usually play the ones they want to after waiting for the rope to start burning.
10/03/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Zenkai

They also have auto squelch, hmm might need to switch games...

I plan on it once it gets out of Beta! Knowing WOC cares about the player being able to perceive their experience sounds wonderful. No spamming emotes, please take my money!
it's not my first time peeking into magic the gathering, and i've tried arena some, but I guess hearthstone has spoiled me. it's kinda too much for me to take in, all the text to read, all the interpreting and understanding required to know what you're cards and their cards do in a short time. I feel like I'd need days to look over all the cards to have some grasp of what they all do.

I cannot see myself giving up hearthstone any time soon. while the multiple mana sources and huge decks is pretty cool. it's a bit overwhelming right now.
10/03/2018 11:40 AMPosted by DMX
Personally, I'm having a blast with MTG:Arena, although I do have a couple of issues I hope they address before the game leaves open beta. The big one is that there is no social feature. You can't have a friends list and play friendly matches against your friends. And for me, the biggest appeal of MTG:Arena would be being able to play MTG with my friends that live too far away to play the physical card game with.
Also, it would be nice if there was a way to test your decks against an AI, so you can fine tune them before bringing them against real people. Other than that, I've been really enjoying MTG:Arena.

The devs have said there will definitely be a friends list/social option in the game, they just haven't implemented it yet, so you will get your wish sometime in the not too distant, not sure about the A.I. though I can imagine MtG is an absolute nightmare to make a good A.I. for.
The only negative complaint I have about MTGA is the double dipping. Other than that it’s a fun game wished they would do a 1:1 like Pokémon.
Mtg also has land cards so you would lose games u mulligan away land flood and get worse land flood like this: Island, island, forest, tropical island, forest, yavimaya coastland, bird of paradise.

And then u would get hands with 1 land and not draw any and not have been able to play a single nonland permanent card.

Ppl on hearthstone can think of land cards like hearthone crystal but theres 5 colors of them.

Topdecking low cost minions suck right? Now imagine doing that 1/3 draws late because ur deck is 30% land cards.

Pluses and minuses for all ccg
But MtG doesn't have random card EFFECTS on top of random card draws. Much smaller skill mitigation component than Hearthstone has.
10/04/2018 06:16 AMPosted by PresJPolk
But MtG doesn't have random card EFFECTS on top of random card draws. Much smaller skill mitigation component than Hearthstone has.

I know you're being sarcastic but there is a hint of "why" here that should be pointed out for those reading.

Part of the reason HS has random effects from cards (and we can debate if there are too many) is due to the fact that mana in guaranteed whereas in Magic mana isn't guaranteed and most decks run 2-3 colors so you also need to right mana type as well.

Part of the design philosophy, I think, around the random effects in HS (or discover) is to prevent the game from playing out exactly the same every game because a guaranteed mana system removes the ability for mana restraint to force games to develop differently.

There is also a point to be made that the only 'random' cards that are really complained about right now, at all, is Stonehill Defender (Odd Paladin) and Primordial Glyph (Burn Mage). Most of the complaints aimed at decks right now are either due to insane high-rollnature (Keleseth, lesser degree Fungalmancer) or guaranteed value (Baku, Druid card draw) and these primary issues are consistent known effects (no RNG outside of draw).