Your Top 5 Cards you Will/Won't Miss

Play Mode Discussion
Can't believe I missed this one my list of won't miss:

CARNIVOROUS MOTHERTRUCKING CUBE
Because I mostly play Wild I'll just leave a short rant about the most problematic cards leaving Standard.

Lesser Diamond Spellstone is the reason Big Priest beats control decks. I really don't like Big Priest, and I think this card is where a lot of my frustration stems from. Blizzard didn't have to print this card to make Big Priest good. It was already a decent deck. It just feels bad for the person playing against the Priest when the Eighth Obsidian Statue comes out along with a Ragnaros, Lich King, and Y'Shaarj.

Another card that is slightly too powerful is Deathstalker Rexxer, mostly because of Dreadscale and Giant Wasp. Aside from that combination the Wild control decks are really powerful. Renolock has so much raw power that Rexxar's long term gameplan usually ends in defeat for the Hunter.

Every other problem card from 2017 has been nerfed (as far as I can remember.) If we still had pre-nerf Call to Arms, Dark Pact, and Corridor Creeper, and Level Up! it would be a different story.

Keep in mind this is from the perspective of a Wild player, but I think that Cube is fine, Skull of the Man'ari is fine, Kingsbane is fine, and most of the Death Knights are fine.
02/11/2019 07:53 AMPosted by Guldin
1) Lich king - Ragnaros got HOFd because he was too popular. Why is Lich king ok again?
Because, unlike the Lich King, Ragnaros was a Classic card. He would have never rotated out of Standard if he was not Hall of Famed.
I will definitely miss:

-The Lich King
Kind of reminds me of Ragnaraos and Sylvanas, and was always a good addition to my decks.

-Kobold Lybrarian
Saw a lot of play in both aggro and control/combo as well. I never really tought of it as a bad design, however, in combination with cards like Defile and Spellstone it could make you think that.

-Rockpool Hunter
This card hasn't really seen much play recently, but it used to define murloc decks, and I loved those.

-Deadman's Hand
Such a shame this card never really made it to the top. I think it really fits the traditional Control Warrior playstyle and hope it will be able to shine in Wild one day.

-Crackling Razormaw
Just like Rockpool Hunter, this card also kind of defined its own race. Most beasts are pretty avarage in power level, but Razormaw gave them a pretty nice boost. There was a time when this was the only reason to play Hunter.

I won't miss:

-Defile
Disgustingly good board clear that made Warlock against aggressive decks so much better. The fact that sometimes you had to set up the board to have the effect of a Twisting Nether didn't really make it any less good. I am happy I won't have to play it around anymore.

-Branching Paths
Card draw, burst, and a better Greater Healing Potion for the same cost... all in one card. I am still amazed it managed to avoid the waves of nerfs.

-Spreading Plague
The most infamous card that I was despising all the way trough until Druid got hit by the nerf bat. It was incredibly frustrating to loose to it, because in some cases you just couldn't afford not to develop your board. It was basically a punnishment for not letting Druid any time to ramp up to 10 mana.

-Prince Keleseth
I like playing and building traditional aggro decks, but the existence of this card just didn't really let me running any 2 drops, and made the whole concept of aggro so much more highrolly. Even if I managed to draw it in by turn 1-3, the satisfaction I felt was poor, because I knew even if I made some missplays, I couldn't possibly loose the game. The same was the other way round, if my opponent played it early on, I knew it was game over unless I managed to play it as well.

And at last, but not least:

-Deathstalker Rexxar
Unexpected aoe, protection and access to infinite value of nasty combinations that usually won you the game singel-handedly. This card pushed Hunter in the complete opposite direction in terms of class indetity. Whether it's a good or a bad thing, that's up to you to decide, but for me the existence of it just didn't feel natural at all.
02/14/2019 04:43 AMPosted by Bajula
-Deathstalker Rexxar
Unexpected aoe
While I totally understand why people are happy to see Deathstalker Rexxar rotate out. I am too. But this is a weird argument. How can an AoE effect be "unexpected"? I mean, are Consecration, Hellfire and Flamestrike for example "unexpected" as well? If not, then what's the key difference here? The only way I could see it as "unexpected" is if I didn't know such a card existed. But I would know after seeing it once.

02/14/2019 04:43 AMPosted by Bajula
protection
And I wouldn't consider 5 armor as an amount of protection worthy of even mentioning. Especially when all the other hero cards give you the same thing, except Dr. Boom, Mad Genius who gives 7 armor.
Posted by Bajula
-Deathstalker Rexxar
Unexpected aoe
While I totally understand why people are happy to see Deathstalker Rexxar rotate out. I am too. But this is a weird argument. How can an AoE effect be "unexpected"? I mean, are Consecration, Hellfire and Flamestrike for example "unexpected" as well? If not, then what's the key difference here? The only way I could see it as "unexpected" is if I didn't know such a card existed. But I would know after seeing it once.

Consecration, Hellfire and Flamestrike are not legendary cards and are usually expected to come down by the turn they can be played. I am not sure if it's considered the correct way of thinking by everyone, but for me playing only 1 card around on curve, when there is more statistical chance that your opponent doesn't have it, feels wrong. Also, in general, the Hunter class has not so many aoe's, but has a lot of effective single target removals that can be more threatening in certain situations, so you usually play them around by going broad.
I'll miss a lot tbh. But mainly

DKs
Its not as much about the Death Knights specifically as it is about the idea of hero cards. Like sure, Gul'dan and Rexaar hero power are overtuned, part of the power of those cards are the amounts of cards that go with them that were released afterwards like Voidlord and that 1/1 Posionous and Divine Shield.

Druid
I mean I don't like that there will only be 8 classes for a while since Druid will most likely be rotating out alonguide the some of only good cards for Druid now that Nourish and Wild Growth have been nerfed.

Devilsaur Egg
It's a well designed Egg, too bad it had way too many enablers in Hunter

Hemet, Jungle Hunter
My meme Hakkar Deck won't work anymore...

TAR CREEPER
Such a good card. Don't think there's another card that most people will consistently miss as this one...

Cards I will be happy to see leave

Saronite Chain Gang
After it got nerfed, this card has been dead to me.

Deathstalker Rexaar
Because it enables so many Hunter Decks similar to UI/Spreading Plague
I mean it could've be balanced by adding a lot more Beasts with mediocre stats and niche abilities in one set. Just could've remade some of those pack filler cards Beasts...

Keleseth
Such a High Roll kind of card y'know?

Unidentified Maul
Ok, maybe when this card rotates Odd Paladin will FINALLY die off?? It's been a half decent deck this whole year and still strong after the Level Up nerf!!!

Funglemacer
I don't know about you, but I think this card is one of the main things that enabled a lot of Odd Aggro Archetypes

Honorable Mentions

Good Class Cards
Not like Hero cards, but like just all around good cards like:
Psychic Scream
Defile
Lesser Jasper Spellstone
Lesser Amethyst Spellstone
Vilespine Slayer
Flanking Strike
Sunkeeper Tarim
Arcane Artificer
Volcano
Healing Rain
Etc.

Lich King
I mean it's the Lich King, c'mon!

Hadronox
Let's face it, if you knew you were going up against Hadronox, you could pretty easily beat it with Shaman. Use Zentimo + Hex, boom, not only does it clog up the taunt deathpool, but also the beast one as well (that is, if they're doing the beast variant), and Saronite Taskmaster. Hadronox is annoying af though when you don't run silence, Polymorph/Hex, etc.
I'll miss those 2 cards a lot : Elise the Trailblazer and Zola the Gorgon.

I was always trying to put them in any decks I was building... no matter what. Very fun cards to use!

There must always be an Elise in Standard!
02/14/2019 06:17 AMPosted by Bajula
Consecration, Hellfire and Flamestrike are not legendary cards
I fail to see what card rarity has to do with this.

and are usually expected to come down by the turn they can be played.
So, you couldn't possibly expect Deathstalker Rexxar to be played on turn 6 or later?

I am not sure if it's considered the correct way of thinking by everyone, but for me playing only 1 card around on curve, when there is more statistical chance that your opponent doesn't have it, feels wrong.
That... Is a pitiful excuse.

Dude, As far as the card's Battlecry is concerned it's just a worse version of Consecration that costs 2 more mana and doesn't even deal damage to enemy hero. You do get 5 armor as well, just like every other hero card, but 99% of the time you're not playing that card for the armor.

Also, in general, the Hunter class has not so many aoe's, but has a lot of effective single target removals that can be more threatening in certain situations, so you usually play them around by going broad.
So what if he usually doesn't have AoEs? You should know by now, after about 1.5 years since the card's release, that Deathstalker Rexxar is one of the most popular and played hero card in the game currently. So there is ZERO reason to be surprised when the card is being played and your board previously filled with low health minions are suddenly dead.

I don't want to derail the discussion of own thread more than this but overall I'm not convinced. If after all this time you still couldn't expect Deathstalker Rexxar and his AoE effect to come in play and is "unexpected" then you either 1. haven't paid attention to the meta or 2. you're just a bad player. Sorry, but it's simple as that.
Cards I will miss:

1) Tar Creeper - one of the most balanced anti-aggression cards ever printed. It's doubtful we'll ever see a better low-cost taunt than this.

2) Defile - Year of the Mammoth saw a lot of powerful (and frankly OP) Warlock cards, but Defile lets you get creative with your removal and actually requires some thought to use it effectively.

3) Bloodrazor - this is hands down one of my favorite weapons ever printed in the game. It fits the theme of Warrior perfectly with the whirlwind effects in the Battlecry and Deathrattle and has a fair cost of 4-mana. Luckily, Warrior got some powerful new weapons in the Year of the Raven but I'll miss this card for sure.

4) Elise, the Trailblazer - a 5/5 for 5 that put an Un'goro pack into your deck. This card was unique, powerful, but far from OP. This is a great example of what a strong legendary neutral minion should look like.

5) The Lich King - I'll miss the Lich King because he's so iconic to Warcraft lore. I'll also miss those clutch games where my opponent can't kill off my Lich King and I get Army of the Dead 3 turns in a row lol. This is more of an aesthetic choice than an overall card choice for me.

Cards I'll be glad to see gone:

1) Death Knights - This is a 9-for-1 special. While some classes got DKs that had only niche value (RIP Warrior and Shaman), other classes got DKs that completely changed the meta (Warlock, Priest, Druid, Mage, Hunter). It was fun for a while but as the meta changed, the DKs remained as powerful staples of their various classes. This is especially true of Warlock and Hunter, where every deck basically demands Gul'dan or Rexxar. It'll be a breath of fresh air to no longer have to worry about them.

2) Carnivorous Cube - what can I say that hasn't already been said? This card should have been nerfed to 6-mana long ago, but it wasn't. This card was the reason that every deck ran double silence for nearly half a year. Even now, some people still run double silence due to the re-emergence of Cubelock as rotation winds down (not to mention Deathrattle Hunter and Egg Paladin).

3) Stonehill Defender - this card may seem out of place when compared to Cube and the DKs, but two words: Odd Paladin. Every person who read that sentence immediately thought of the time that this shelled menace got their opponent not one, but two, Sunkeeper Tarims to pump up their board of 1/1s.

4) Skull of the Man'ari - coin it out on 4, pull a Void Daddy on 5? That seems balanced. This card started every deck to require weapon hate because if you didn't have an ooze, you basically lost the game.

5) Lesser Diamond Spellstone - the rez package for Priest (Eternal Servitude, Shadow Essence, Spellstone) has plagued the meta since back when Barnes was still in Standard. Thanks to Zerek's Cloning Gallery, we got Big Priest 2.0 which everyone loves and no one writes pointless threads about "remove OTK cards". While I don't hate OTK as much as some, I will be glad that the rez package will be gone.
Consecration, Hellfire and Flamestrike are not legendary cards
I fail to see what card rarity has to do with this.
There is only one DR in your opponent's deck. That's what I meant with the rarity.
and are usually expected to come down by the turn they can be played.
So, you couldn't possibly expect Deathstalker Rexxar to be played on turn 6 or later?
If there is only one DR in your opponent's deck, then yes, it is statistically not likely that it will be played on turn 6-7. That's what I meant by being "unexpected". I didn't say anything about the late game turns.
I am not sure if it's considered the correct way of thinking by everyone, but for me playing only 1 card around on curve, when there is more statistical chance that your opponent doesn't have it, feels wrong.
Dude, As far as the card's Battlecry is concerned it's just a worse version of Consecration that costs 2 more mana and doesn't even deal damage to enemy hero.
I didn't say anything about the card's power level and that how good it is. My only statement was, in other words: when you play against a class that has few effective aoe cards, you are not gonna constantly play around them, therefore it can be a nasty surprise if DR is played on turn 6, even if you know your opponent probably runs it.
You do get 5 armor as well, just like every other hero card, but 99% of the time you're not playing that card for the armor.
I guess that's common knowledge, but thanks for making it clear to me.
02/14/2019 09:51 AMPosted by Siperos
Also, in general, the Hunter class has not so many aoe's, but has a lot of effective single target removals that can be more threatening in certain situations, so you usually play them around by going broad.
So what if he usually doesn't have AoEs? You should know by now, after about 1.5 years since the card's release, that Deathstalker Rexxar is one of the most popular and played hero card in the game currently. So there is ZERO reason to be surprised when the card is being played and your board previously filled with low health minions are suddenly dead.
I am getting the feeling you don't even try to understand my original point about DR being completely unidentical with the class' identity. And since you completely failed to understand my previous reasoning about why I used the word "unexpected", there is absolutely nothing I could say to you.

I don't want to derail the discussion of own thread more than this but
That... Is a pitiful excuse.

overall I'm not convinced. If after all this time you still couldn't expect Deathstalker Rexxar and his AoE effect to come in play and is "unexpected" then you either 1. haven't paid attention to the meta or 2. you're just a bad player. Sorry, but it's simple as that.
Well, my post wasn't made to convince you in the first place, so... I can live with that. You basically read 2 words of my post you couldn't agree with, and now we got to the point somehow when you're accusing me of being a bad player. I am confused and already regret that I contributed to your thread.
02/11/2019 01:23 PMPosted by Wardrum
Can't believe I missed this one my list of won't miss:

CARNIVOROUS MOTHERTRUCKING CUBE

I was genuinely surprised to not see this on your list.

I won't miss any of them. I am glad to see them ALL rotate.
I won't miss
1) Deathstalker Rexxar
2) Frost Lich Jaina
3) Candleshot
4) Flanking Strike
5) Carnivorous Cube

These cards can go away forever
Will miss
Hadronox - This was a really fun deck to play and was the only strong answer to aggro for a long time. It was also easy to tech against, any beasts can mess up witching hour and silence can negate cubes.
Lynessa - I played her ever since she was released, even though she never fully reached viability. My current favorite deck is Prelate/Lynessa, though it gets wrecked extremely hard by silence and transform
Kingsbane - I had a lot of fun with this deck pretty much since it was released. I never got to play a final game with it, since leaching poison was nerfed mere hours after the nerf was announced.
Deathknights - Controversial pick, I actually liked most of the deathknights. I'm really hoping for some comparable build around cards that change the way you play the game. Granted, some of them fit in a few too many decks.
Disco package - I'm going to cheat and say all the discard related cards warlock is losing. Jek'lik finally made disco lock fun and viable, but that is coming to an end at rotation unless warlock gets a ton more support for the archetype. Losing the quest in particular is a massive blow.

Won't miss
Crackling Razormaw - An on-curve minion that can add ~1.5 mana worth of value to a 1-drop. This card was very frustrating to go up against and made it into virtually every hunter deck of every meta.
Vicious Fledgling - I hate this card so incredibly much. If you don't have an immediate answer to it, it just grows out of control. The worst part is how early it comes down and how little chance you have to draw an answer in time.
Cobalt Scalebane - Much like VF, this card saw very frequent play in tempo decks and was difficult to counter. By the time it is your turn, a minion already has +3 attack and if you don't have an immediate answer your opponent just snowballs out of control.
Hunter K&C - I'm going to really cheat and say almost all the hunter cards from K&C. Almost all of them are or have been in a tier 1 deck and none of them are any fun to play against. I'm glad to see hunter is losing a lot of great cards.
Keleseth - Lose on turn two. This is one of the only minions in the game that makes me seriously ask myself if the match is even worth playing.
I will miss:

1)Sunkeeper Tarim
Although Tarim's a great cheat for odd paladins, he's really a well-designed card. Changing all other minions into 3/3s is just what a perfect paladin legendary does.

2)Tarcreeper
The best 3-cost anti-aggro card ever.

3)Zola the Gorgon
Extremely flexible but not op. Although she appears in many control or otk decks, I've never seen anyone complaining about zola.

4)Shadow Visions
A loss in tempo but grants card advantage. It is flexible and appears in every priest deck except spiteful.[i][/i]

5)The LK
Only a fool rejects the Lich King.

I won't miss:
1)DKs, especially Deathstalker Rexxar and Bloodreaver Guldan
Providing additional resources, DKs are absolutely OP. In some slow deck mirror matches, whoever plays the DK first automatically controls the tempo.

2)Carnivorous Cube
Carnivorous Cube always make me wonder if Blizz test their cards before releasing.

3)Oaken Summons & Ironwood Golem
I never hate 6-cost Spreading Plague, because it is a fair punishment for aggro decks. However, Oaken Summons + Ironwood Golem provides too much protection for OTK druids.

4)Psychic Scream
Fully clears the board. Ignores sticky minions. Pollutes the opponent's deck. Priests either don't care about fatigue disadvantages or turn it into an advantage by using Benedictus.

5)Prince Keleseth
Prince Keleseth is boring. A low cost minion should never have such a big effect on the whole game. If Keleseth was designed as a 4 cost minion, it would be much better. (Who cares about Valanar?)
02/14/2019 09:34 AMPosted by Barnack
I'll miss those 2 cards a lot : Elise the Trailblazer and Zola the Gorgon.

I was always trying to put them in any decks I was building... no matter what. Very fun cards to use!

There must always be an Elise in Standard!

Seconded!

I will miss Zola the Gorgon.
And since you completely failed to understand my previous reasoning about why I used the word "unexpected", there is absolutely nothing I could say to you.
Okay. Maybe I interpreted your choice of word "unexpected" too literally. That's possible.

02/14/2019 12:40 PMPosted by Bajula
and now we got to the point somehow when you're accusing me of being a bad player.
I should have worded it better; I didn't try to call YOU, personally, a bad player because I don't know you. But the fact is that if Deathstalker Rexxar being played comes as "unexpected", even after 1.5 years, and a player gets severely punished for it, that is a sign of a bad player. There's no way around that.
I’ll miss, but I am glad they leave anyway.

Frost Lich Jaina. Busted as hell, but unlike Rexxar it isn’t RNGesque fiesta that is nigh impossible to play around.

Defile. Best design of a board clear. Kinda busted as well, but it actually rewarded good play on both sides.

Flanking Strike. Alongside Spellstone and Candelshot it enabled Hunter to actually play something else than FACE FACE FACE.

Cards I will miss

Arcanologist, Explosive Runes. What can I say. I love Secret Mage.

Dragon’s Fury. Mage really needs a replacement or its just a Face class.

Rogue Quest. Never played it. Loved SMOrcing them though.

Geist, Golakka Crawler, Gluttonous Ooze. Tech Heroes.

Legendary weapons. Kripp:There will never be slow weapon meta”

Laughing in unison - Skull, Aluneth, Rhok, Val’anyr, Twig (takes time to break) Kingsbane (it needs to be upgraded)

Cards I am happy to be gone

DK Rexxar. One card deck. It was fun when Hunter sucked. It’s not fun anymore.

Unidentified Maul, Vinecleaver. Am I the only who hates Odd Paladin weapons? Maul is by far more problematic, because it’s cheaper, RNG BS (just compare divine shield and taunt)

Scream. Maybe I’d hate it less without existence of Shadow Visions and Lyra.

Cube.
Won't miss.

Keleseth
Carniverous derp cube
Bloodreaver guldan infinite value
Hadronox shenanigans
Jaina

Will miss

Kathreena
Warrior quest
Zola
Many elemental synergy cards, too many to list.
Lich King.