New Shaman Card - Haunting Vision

Play Mode Discussion
I'm not sure many of you are reading this card correctly. You aren't getting any real mana value here. Discover a 2 mana bloodlust for 3. Play bloodlust. You just paid 5 mana to bloodlust. Unless its literally the only thing you could do, you would never play this card without the additional mana to play the follow up spell. It is for mid-late game when you need that clutch play to either win or save your behind. People are saying too many things that don't make sense.

Edit: I say never, that would be wrong. You could discount the healing rain in your hand, discover a spell, and then play healing rain. Both are possible which makes this card a lot more versatile than people are making it out to be. There is still no real mana value being gained. You pay 3 mana for 3 mana.
ok so its a pointless prep.. unless somehow u evolve something into a mana wyrm
It's a decent card, it's fair and that's the issue. Until next year, it likely won't see much play. Comparing it to Glyph is a bit unfair though. Glyph is far above the power-level of cards we've been seeing this year. Clearly, Blizzard is trying to bring the power level down a notch.

I feel like people are missing the mark on how this card will be used. It's not the sort of card you play when you're in a bind and need something to fix it. It can do that, but it might also be 3-mana do nothing. Instead, you treat this as a free discover when you have a spell to play.

There's also some shenanigans with Electra. You could reduce the cost of a spell by 6-mana (at least if Tess casting Prep is any indicator).
11/22/2018 07:12 PMPosted by SuperLegend

Like this guy. Literally no sense at all.
11/22/2018 02:21 AMPosted by Jef
11/22/2018 02:10 AMPosted by KothalKan
Wtf? Farsight and glyph in one... good card

Big drawback is that it is only this turn you get the discount! Not sure it will that much play mainly because shaman has a LOT of crappy spells.. best case it’s a very minor discount on volcano or healing rain...

But the spell reduction is on any spell in your hand you play next. If you want bloodlust or the Stormbringer but don’t want to play it yet, you can just use the discount on another spell. It’s a great value spell. Reminds me od Druid’s branching paths having the versatility to do whatever suits the Druid at the moment.

I’m hoping with Electra that the spell discount doubles but since Electra “casts the spell” twice instead of “triggers” twice, I’m guessing my hopes will not be answered.
11/22/2018 01:48 AMPosted by ReXaGOn
At best it's a 0 mana discover a spell. Not even nearly as flexible as glyph.

It is still very good, more flexible maybe. It gives the discount to the next spell you play so you can kind of play this DISCOVER something (instead of getting a completely random spell) and get the 3 mana discount, basically you pay nothing for getting an extra card. You have to do everything in one turn but it is still not a bad deal
11/22/2018 07:00 AMPosted by WarrenBleezy
This is so much worse than Glyph.

It costs 1 more, it has a weaker discount and the discount is only there for 1 turn.

If Shaman gets good spells that cost more than 5, this could be interesting.

It discounts the same mana investment as glyph does. So how is it weaker? And how hard is it to understand you can sneak this in when you want to play a different spell in your hand. It’s a 3 mana discover a spell that can farsight any spell in your hand.
11/22/2018 11:36 AMPosted by SverdSanity
Really glad this did not go to mage. Was growing tired of mage having really nice discounted spells with zero draw back.

You don’t love it when a mage converts Primordial Glyph into an 8 mana Pyroblast?!
11/22/2018 07:02 PMPosted by Rebelvoltz
I'm not sure many of you are reading this card correctly. You aren't getting any real mana value here. Discover a 2 mana bloodlust for 3. Play bloodlust. You just paid 5 mana to bloodlust. Unless its literally the only thing you could do, you would never play this card without the additional mana to play the follow up spell. It is for mid-late game when you need that clutch play to either win or save your behind. People are saying too many things that don't make sense.

Edit: I say never, that would be wrong. You could discount the healing rain in your hand, discover a spell, and then play healing rain. Both are possible which makes this card a lot more versatile than people are making it out to be. There is still no real mana value being gained. You pay 3 mana for 3 mana.

The investment is 3 mana, and it pays for the following spell. You are right that it is not a prep that discounts 3 mana by trading a single 0 cost card in your deck. What is does is accelerates your play. If you are going to lightning storm or healing rain, you get a free discover a spell. If you don’t have spell—you are transforming this card into a different spell you might need.

That is great value still. I can imagine playing a deck with Farsight and this card with Electra and Zentimo.
11/22/2018 09:41 PMPosted by StareMaster
11/22/2018 07:02 PMPosted by Rebelvoltz

The investment is 3 mana, and it pays for the following spell. You are right that it is not a prep that discounts 3 mana by trading a single 0 cost card in your deck. What is does is accelerates your play. If you are going to lightning storm or healing rain, you get a free discover a spell. If you don’t have spell—you are transforming this card into a different spell you might need.

That is great value still. I can imagine playing a deck with Farsight and this card with Electra and Zentimo.

The problem is that this card takes up deck space for a card that does nothing but discovers a spell for cheap, if used at the right time.

You aren't guaranteed to get anything useful from it, shaman already have MUCH better spell generation (hagatha, runespear), and it doesn't come with a real leverage-able benefit like the other discover cards that see play.

If it had a body that went on the field like stonehill, or if it let you bank the discount, like primordial glyph (mage also has a much better spell pool than shaman), or if it limited the discover so that you had a better idea of what you are getting, then this card might not be the waste of space it currently is.

It will come out of your deck pretty quickly when your control deck is getting options like: ice fishing, ancestral healing, the storm bringer, with relative frequency.

Shaman have a lot of mediocre spells, as seen by how easily hagatha clogs up a hand with stuff you don't want to spend mana on.

Discovering a random card from the entire pool, even for an effective 0 mana card if paired with a spell, or wasting electra to do it twice, just isn't that good.

I’m hoping with Electra that the spell discount doubles but since Electra “casts the spell” twice instead of “triggers” twice, I’m guessing my hopes will not be answered.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Electra will burn the first spell discount on her free 2nd spellcast.

Even if she didn't there really isn't any mana advantage since you would have paid 6 mana to get 2 slightly less random shaman spells with a 6 mana discount on your next one that turn. Unless one of the cards you pulled was the one you wanted to use, you could have just played the spell.

Electra has so much more potent uses than haunting visions.
11/23/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Smeet
You aren't guaranteed to get anything useful from it, shaman already have MUCH better spell generation (hagatha, runespear)

hagatha (and the 0/1 frog) are random so while good, is not much better, and no one uses runespear

also the fact this is made this way and not like glyph is because of witch's cauldron (which they even gave us a copy for free)
11/23/2018 04:55 AMPosted by RhokDelar
11/23/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Smeet
You aren't guaranteed to get anything useful from it, shaman already have MUCH better spell generation (hagatha, runespear)

hagatha (and the 0/1 frog) are random so while good, is not much better, and no one uses runespear

also the fact this is made this way and not like glyph is because of witch's cauldron (which they even gave us a copy for free)

No one uses runespear, but runespear is still better than haunting visions. You get a 3/3 weapon, still discover a spell, and the spell is cast for free.

As is hagatha, as she generates way more free value than visions will.

The frog doesn't see much play because a 0/1 taunt body isn't good enough, even at 1 mana to just get a random shaman spell.

Sure, discover is better than pure random, but not by enough to make a sometimes free discover worth a deck slot. In mage this card would be good. They don't have nearly as many junk spells as shaman do.

Shaman already have better spell generation cards than haunting visions. Haunting visions doesn't add anything that the class couldn't already do. A sometimes free discover a spell card just isn't that strong, especially in a class with as many junk or highly situational spells as shaman have.

You will use your deck space on things you know the outcome of.

I use a Runespear in my Even Shaman and holy crap it's good. I heard stories of it backfiring but I've had it backfire all of once out of, I dunno, a couple of hundred attacks or something. I don't pick spells that can backfire and when forced to (extremely rare) there's always a chance of it still hitting the correct target. And the most powerful stuff cannot backfire (Bloodlust, Stormbringer, Lightning Storm, stuff like that).
11/23/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Lemminkäinen

I use a Runespear in my Even Shaman and holy crap it's good. I heard stories of it backfiring but I've had it backfire all of once out of, I dunno, a couple of hundred attacks or something. I don't pick spells that can backfire and when forced to (extremely rare) there's always a chance of it still hitting the correct target. And the most powerful stuff cannot backfire (Bloodlust, Stormbringer, Lightning Storm, stuff like that).

Another Memespearer =)

11/22/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Rebelvoltz
11/22/2018 07:12 PMPosted by SuperLegend

Like this guy. Literally no sense at all.

It's not pointless, but do you really need the value?

Turn 5 you can play this then your Volcano you were going to play anyways. You gain a free spell which will probably be decent to good. So that is a huge bonus as it offers some flexibility to find cards for your deck. With that said does Shaman really need the value generation? Hagatha is generating value, Shudderwock can generate value, etc.

I see the idea of the card but I just feel like in both Wild and Standard it is completely unneeded for Shaman.
Another Memespearer =)

memespear: I've yet to see someone play it on ranked even shaman over other options (kalimos, hagatha, al'akir)
11/23/2018 07:08 AMPosted by RhokDelar
Another Memespearer =)

memespear: I've yet to see someone play it on ranked even shaman over other options (kalimos, hagatha, al'akir)

Yep, I've yet to see it used against me. I run it over TLK in my Thunderhead Even Shaman list. It has won me quite a few games; however, there are times I had wished it was TLK.

Overall I think it is slightly worse than TLK but I find it a lot more fun to use and is 1-2%WR worth it? I say yes =)
that's a nice setup since a possible free bloodlust/stormbringer on a board full of tokens is lethal

but then again, I've faced only corpsetaker variants of even shaman so far
11/22/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Coud
11/22/2018 01:48 AMPosted by ReXaGOn
At best it's a 0 mana discover a spell. Not even nearly as flexible as glyph.

It is still very good, more flexible maybe. It gives the discount to the next spell you play so you can kind of play this DISCOVER something (instead of getting a completely random spell) and get the 3 mana discount, basically you pay nothing for getting an extra card. You have to do everything in one turn but it is still not a bad deal

You don't get an extra card for nothing. You use a card to get a semi-random card which is so much worse. If we had a 0 mana discover a Shaman spell card it would still be average at best. Way too many terrible Shaman spells to make it good. Shaman has 34 spells in standart right now and there are only a couple of spells you would really want an extra copy of. More often than not you just get a card you wouldn't even normally include into your deck. It would be really good if it discovered a copy of a spell from your deck like shadow visions but as it is right now the card is just bad.