Mana Wyrm nerf?

Play Mode Discussion
Over time, we’ve been moving away from powerful, early-game 1-drops like Mana Wyrm. It can often feel like the outcome of a game is decided by whether Mana Wyrm was played on turn one, and if it could be removed quickly by an opponent. Mana Wyrm has also steered us away from making powerful low-cost Mage spells. We’d like Mana Wyrm to remain an option for decks it synergizes with, while preventing it from being a huge turn one threat.

...ok that was random?

I do have to ask, what is mage going to be doing now? I don't mind rush decks being taken away, but the other mage concept (freeze) was nerfed because it "didn't feel good" ages ago, and more recently ice block was HoF'd. There's various weird control decks and whatnot but I don't think any of them perform all that well.

I'll also quietly note that whether Prince Keleseth is in your opening hand FAR surpasses Mana Wyrm in it's way to shift the odds. Mana wyrm every class has some means of getting rid of at least, Prince does the damage the moment he lands.
Keleseth will be rotating soon, so it's likely considered an non-issue at this point.

Mage still has BSM which is a decent, if slow deck.

I still think that Mage might be getting some Freeze/Tempo support next expansion that doesn't have to live or die by T1 Wyrm and Secrets.
I dont even play Mana Wyrm in my wild burn mage deck because its weak. Free secrets are mages strongest opener. Developers are completely clueless.

Northshire Cleric is next? :D
I agree the card was more powerful than any of the other class 1 drops, but I don't feel the mana addition was the right nerf.

To me, it should have been something more like:

"When you cast a spell that costs 2 or more mana, gain +1 attack"

That way, you stop the super powerful combo of Wyrm > coin > arcane missiles and have a devastating 3/3 drop on turn 1 with almost no drawback.

I think that might have been more reasonable, but that's just me.

Now, mage doesn't have a classic 1 drop minion, which is terrible.
10/15/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Pilnystudent
I dont even play Mana Wyrm in my wild burn mage deck because its weak. Free secrets are mages strongest opener. Developers are completely clueless.

Fingers.

Freaking.

Crossed.
Blizzard mixed April Fools and Halloween this year.

In all seriousness, only 3 card nerfs? And 1 of those towards Wild only?
10/15/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Wardrum
10/15/2018 01:05 PMPosted by Pilnystudent

Fingers.

Freaking.

Crossed.

"Is someone injured?"
Heard Jaina is a great cleaner and cook.. so she will be a Mage maid and clean druid houses for food and shelter ..

She will sing on the streets about the days of mages!! And get some pennies thrown by the elite Druids that roam the city.

Soon the devs will take all the classic mage cards and combine them to 1 druid class Card!! And that will be just strong enough to be a rare card.

:-D

I really reallllllllllyyy wonders if jesse have a honest opinion about this all.
May it be in favor of druids or not. But i understand he cant talk freely about it.. such a shame.. really want to know what he thinks about it.. he prolly knows what's comming next..
10/15/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Wardrum
Keleseth will be rotating soon, so it's likely considered an non-issue at this point.

Mage still has BSM which is a decent, if slow deck.

I still think that Mage might be getting some Freeze/Tempo support next expansion that doesn't have to live or die by T1 Wyrm and Secrets.

Big spell mage suffers the same problems as all the other control decks, in that it loses to the plethora of Druid combos sweeping the meta game. Also, without FLJ big spell mage loses its infinite value so come next rotation I can't see the deck existing in any form. Plus they hinted on printing new low cost Mage spells which naturally doesn't fit with big spell mage.
And I absolutely doubt they will give mage freeze support. They don't like the freeze mechanic as it's "uninteractive" and between both Shaman and Mage recent freeze synergy cards have been no better than woeful.
And they are steering completely away from printing face burn spells which is fine until you realise Mage has some pretty weak minions Tempo wise and any midrange mage deck relies on burn for finish.
Until combo decks are blown into the oblivion mage will be running and hiding for a while.
Also I think that Mana Wyrm nerf must come from somebody who doesnt play the game very much. Because that card is OP only on paper. It doesnt even have good winrate. Its best as first turn card but mage doesnt want to play many spells early.

In best case scenario it will do 2 damage to face and die on turn 3? And if you dont draw it in first turn then its kinda useless so in wild people often run Bubbling Book and Cabal Lackey instead.

But its good card in standard because every other one mana creature is complete trash. And Keleseth is played only because every two mana drop creature is complete trash.
It's clear that Blizzard doesn't want the classic set to be playable at this point. May as well get it over with and just nerf the rest of it, instead of this slow, painful trickle.
The Mana wyrm Nerf wasn't random from my perspective. Look at any post I've made talking about aggro and how we don't really even have aggro anymore because it's all been nerfed.

Mid-range didn't disappear, it was renamed aggro because even the most aggressive decks play a ton of 5+ cards. Why?

Every 1 drop worth playing aggressively gets nerfed! Mana Wyrm is basically what was left that won't rotate (town crier is the next most aggressive card at 1 without mammoth sets).
Even when you do play mana wyrm turn 1, most of the time it either dies before it attacks or it never gets bigger than 2/3. If they're really that concerned about mana wyrm swinging games, why don't they just give more of the classes more effective early game removal? You know, like all of the cards they nerfed or allowed to rotate without replacement that checked mana wyrm in the past?

And DRUID, THE CLASS WITH 3 TOP DECKS, IS UNTOUCHED. Oh, but no guys, a classic card in a deck that almost never climbs higher than tier 2 is the real problem you guys. You've been bamboozled, lads, it was mage making druid and warlock and rogue overrepresented the whole time.

Thanks, DOH NAY YIS. At least as long as you're ruining this game I'm free to play other games designed by people that don't have contempt for their players.