Wild Players....

Play Mode Discussion
11/19/2018 03:11 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
1. What is your experience level in Wild?

Moderate experience; I have reached #1 Legend in Wild about a year ago, but have not played that much since. Sometimes when I am bored with Standard, I give it a shot, but I am not really up-to-date right now.

2. Why do you play Wild?

I usually play it when I am bored with standard or I have reached a plateau on ranked ladder.

3. Do you think Wild needs to be balanced?

No, I want Wild to feel different from standard. It should be wild, it should be broken and I even believe some of the nerfs should be undone to make it feel more nostalgic and crazy.

4. What support would you like to see for the format?

Tournaments would be great, but the tournament scene in general is kind of meh...

5. What would you like to see happen with Wild in the future?

Undo nerfs. Make it wild. I don't want it to be a slightly different version of standard.

When you say undo most of the nerfs, do you include star aligner druid and naga lock? I agree id like some nerfs rolled back and im not trying to instigate im genuinely curious.
11/19/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Sixpense

When you say undo most of the nerfs, do you include star aligner druid and naga lock? I agree id like some nerfs rolled back and im not trying to instigate im genuinely curious.

No, I believe some nerfs should stay.

Changes that made cards more intuitive or adapted them to new mechanics should stay the way they are. (Bane of Doom, Eaglehorn Bow, Silithid Swarmer, Dreadsteed)

Changes that took cards from being "completely broken" to "really good" should also remain. (Leeroy, Gadgetzan, Soulfire, Spreading Plague, possibly Yogg-Saron)

And finally cards that allow totally broken gamewinning mechanics and will continue to get even more broken with new cards should also remain nerfed (Warsong Commander, Charge, Aviana, Starving Buzzard, Naga)
11/19/2018 06:51 AMPosted by NightRaven

Played Wild every since it became a thing
2. Why do you play Wild?

I Like a bunch of cards in older expansions and standard just gets old after awhile

Of course, every once in awhile a new broken deck is brought around (star aligner druid and NSW warlock.

Wild should be payed attention to by Blizzard. They have way more support for and prioritize standard. But as time goes one people are gonna start going to wild, when the expansions that were in standard when they started hearthstone rotate out.

Revert some nerfs. Bring back the old yogg, unnerf some cards that got some stats changed that will no longer have that big of an effect on the game. Support for Control. With the state of the game right now control blows in standard. To many jade druids, otk decks, and mill/weapon rogues that make control completely obsolete. As a result wild is just combo decks and hyper aggro with the occasional jade druid and mill or weapon rogues.

Very experienced based on time in the format - Day 1 player almost exclusively.
Moderate based on progression - Too busy memeing in the scrub ranks to get far.

2. Why do you play Wild?

Always for fun. I havent had time to be even remotely competitive for a couple of years now, so why play decks I dont enjoy?

Yes - but only when absolutely necessary like it is being attended to now;

Tournaments for sure, preferably ones which are aimed more at dedicated wild players than the last couple. I understand the need to get "high profile" players involved, but not at the expense of those dedicated to the format as the last one did. So invite the top 2 players from each region (8/16) in wild for whatever period straight to the finals stage and let the "high profile" players from standard earn a slot.

Packs available in game for both cash and gold. Maybe a reduced crafting cost (25% less sounds fair) to encourage players to give the format a fair chance.
Wild is exactly that, WILD!
11/19/2018 05:57 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
11/19/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Sixpense

No, I believe some nerfs should stay.

Changes that made cards more intuitive or adapted them to new mechanics should stay the way they are. (Bane of Doom, Eaglehorn Bow, Silithid Swarmer, Dreadsteed)

Changes that took cards from being "completely broken" to "really good" should also remain. (Leeroy, Gadgetzan, Soulfire, Spreading Plague, possibly Yogg-Saron)

And finally cards that allow totally broken gamewinning mechanics and will continue to get even more broken with new cards should also remain nerfed (Warsong Commander, Charge, Aviana, Starving Buzzard, Naga)

Thanks for clearing that up, totally agree with you! There is a HUGE difference between rolling back SOME nerfs and ALL nerfs, wild should be wild but I highly doubt anyone yelling bring back Naga and Aviana played against those decks very much...

Can I ask what you would do to with Patches, Fiery War Axe, and Mana Wurm?
11/19/2018 07:43 PMPosted by Sixpense

I don't see a problem with Fiery War Axe or Mana Wyrm. If the old Patches would be fine is something that has to be figured out through playtesting.

When Leper Gnome, Abusive Sergeant, Undertaker, Arcane Golem, Small-Time Buccaneer all make a comeback, Patches might push aggressive decks over the edge.
11/19/2018 08:25 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy

I don't see a problem with Fiery War Axe or Mana Wyrm. If the old Patches would be fine is something that has to be figured out through playtesting.

When Leper Gnome, Abusive Sergeant, Undertaker, Arcane Golem, Small-Time Buccaneer all make a comeback, Patches might push aggressive decks over the edge.

I could live with that, I like you guy. I think they should give him rush at least..

I mean it got bad when people figured out if they just put two southsea captains and patches into a deck you've got an aggro deck, but a 1600 dust 1/1 for 1 mana?
11/19/2018 07:43 PMPosted by Sixpense

Old Patches is a no go. Pretty much every aggro/aggressive-MR deck would be using Patches & Co. for eternity because it simply too good NOT to include. Do you really want to see what would be required for those 5 or so pirates not to be insta-include in more aggressive decks in wild from now to eternity?
11/19/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Bowser

Old Patches is a no go. Pretty much every aggro/aggressive-MR deck would be using Patches & Co. for eternity because it simply too good NOT to include. Do you really want to see what would be required for those 5 or so pirates not to be insta-include in more aggressive decks in wild from now to eternity?

I don't see anything wrong with having cards around from now to eternity. It is an eternal format after all.

MTG has format staples in their eternal formats too, but they make the formats what they are. Vintage wouldn't be Vintage without Black Lotus, Legacy woudn't be Legacy without Force of Will and Modern wouldn't be Modern without Lightning Bolt.

I don't think Patches is a problem card because he would be an auto-include. I think it is a problem card, because he might make Aggro too powerful.
11/19/2018 08:58 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
I don't see anything wrong with having cards around from now to eternity. It is an eternal format after all.

On that I disagree. I do see an issue when classes with no innate pirate synergy run 5 just 'cos its too good not to in any even remotely aggressive minion based deck. Thats why he got nerfed in the first place! So reverting him is not an option imo. If he was changed to a class card, warrior or rogue, maybe. But not as a neutral.

MTG has format staples in their eternal formats too, but they make the formats what they are. Vintage wouldn't be Vintage without Black Lotus, Legacy woudn't be Legacy without Force of Will and Modern wouldn't be Modern without Lightning Bolt.

Yeah, the "9"... also cards like Lotus are limited to 1 copy instead of 4 based on my (limited) research. Patches is limited to 1 copy by default in HS, hes a legendary. So while these cards are allowed they have been "nerfed" in other ways.

The way the game is at this point Patches cant have his nerfed reverted, and I doubt there will be a time when it can be.
So... is this the entire Wild player base we've got here? Lol...
1. Lots of wild experience.

2. Mostly for fun but that’s getting harder to come by in wild for various reasons.

3. I’d like to see it tweaked and balanced as much as standard. The idea of it being a dumpster for broken decks sounds awful to me.

4. tournaments would be great. Like to see some different options like class bans, limited card sets allowed, other types of modes that really change up what you can and can not play.

5. Make wild great by calming down some of the extremely busted stuff. It sucks the fun out of the game and most replies here claim that they want to have fun in wild. That gets impossible when every deck is either resurrect priest, kingsbane or mill rogue, jade Druid or whatever Reno based deck you get stuck playing against. It forces you to play stupid aggro. Yawn. NO fun.
11/20/2018 12:28 AMPosted by NightRaven
So... is this the entire Wild player base we've got here? Lol...

Please explain why this was DVed. You don't like sarcasm I guess? Or, you gave the ole thumbs down just cuz? Anyway, you made me laugh, thank you!
1) Very Experienced. I have been playing wild since the format switched, and really never bothered with standard very much

2) For fun Not really a ladder grinder tbh. I play wild just because I can build more decks. Every-time I build a deck in standard, it quickly becomes a wild deck if I can think of a wild card that fits in perfectly. This happens a lot.

3) Yes- Just because I hate big priest. This deck is all about topdecking Barnes on turn 4, is extremely fun to play against, and not particularly fun to play since there is little skill involved. I'd like to play the game rather than have it be over on turn 4 due to no fault of my own. There is really nothing positive I can think of about what this deck adds to the game excepting that it makes priest viable.

What I really want in wild is a ton of decks, and I mean a ton of decks. I do feel that having every class have a decent deck is important for wild just as it is important to standard, but I also am convinced that some decks are absolutely no fun to play against, and the match result is determined on t0, pre-mulligan. I feel like Blizzard needs to be mindful of this, and could make several changes (not just big priest) that would make the game mode more fun to play.

4) Yes to wild tournaments and events. I feel like wild can present a deckbuilding challenge (provided that blizzard kills big priest.) that will truly set the great hearthstone meta-readers apart. Players who would find the right balance of tech cards to their archetypes, or even be able to choose the right deck to pilot in an undetermined meta would see results perhaps more by the individual player. I'd love to see a wide meta with a ton of decks to choose from, and while players would choose the same archetype, no two decks would be identical. Since standard has to be re-balanced over and over, I feel like wild could be that place.

5) As mentioned before, I feel that class balance is an important aspect that both constructed formats need some tuning for. I have been playing warrior since Naxxramas, and it hurts to see the class struggle. I don't really fancy pirate warrior, so this is just the old bring back cntrl war dead horse. I feel like wild should have us do spectacular things. I feel warrior ought to be brought up to a level where it can also do spectacular plays.
11/19/2018 09:08 PMPosted by Bowser

On that I disagree. I do see an issue when classes with no innate pirate synergy run 5 just 'cos its too good not to in any even remotely aggressive minion based deck. Thats why he got nerfed in the first place! So reverting him is not an option imo. If he was changed to a class card, warrior or rogue, maybe. But not as a neutral.

Yeah, the "9"... also cards like Lotus are limited to 1 copy instead of 4 based on my (limited) research. Patches is limited to 1 copy by default in HS, hes a legendary. So while these cards are allowed they have been "nerfed" in other ways.

The way the game is at this point Patches cant have his nerfed reverted, and I doubt there will be a time when it can be.

Of course MTG also has a banned/restricted lists, but the reason for these bannings is mostly based on power level.

The fact that a card is an auto-include in a specific kind of deck was never reason enough to warrant a ban in these formats. It also had to be so powerful, that it kept other types of decks from being competitive.

The same should apply to Patches. If old Patches means that you need to play Patches in your beatdown decks, I am okay with that.
If old Patches means that you have to play a beatdown deck in order to compete, then I am not okay with that and this is something that has to be figured out through playtesting in my opinion.
The idea of banning cards altogether definitely doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather see a card get nerfed into the ground then banned.
After i got to legend a couple of times in standard, it got a bit boring. Now i only play wild with decks that i make on my own and it's so much more fun to beat tryharders with your own unusual decks .
11/20/2018 10:55 AMPosted by WarrenBleezy
The fact that a card is an auto-include in a specific kind of deck was never reason enough to warrant a ban in these formats. It also had to be so powerful, that it kept other types of decks from being competitive.

I agree, and I think pre-nerf patches fits the bill there. A card so strong that the vast majority of aggro and many mid decks dedicate 5 card slots just to get the effect to me is a very powerful card. I really dont want to see Odd Rogue with pre-nerf Patches, its already one of the best decks in the format and does just fine with post-nerf Patches.

You might be fine with it, and I can respect your opinion, doesnt mean I will agree with it. To me he is a textbook example of an overpowered card in his pre-nerf state.
So it would seem that it is possible to reach a middle ground after all. It would also seem that some individuals ascertations that the Wild player base is very limited may in fact be true. I've been lucky in that I've never had the excessively long waits for a match-up that many of you have described. C'mon Wild players, I know there are more of you out there....