Homebrewed decks just dont work.

Play Mode Discussion
no matter how hard I try all my homebrewed decks sucks!

Well all but one that is,and that is not even my strongest deck more like my third strongest deck.

Out of all my attempts to create a competitive home brewed deck I only managed to make 1 that works.Thats like 95% fail rate.

What is wrong with me?I have a average IQ surely I should do better than this.When I am fed up with losing with my home brewed deck I go back to my heal zoo for a few games then go back to my homebrewed deck tweak it a little and try again its exhausting.

No I dont think i am gonna make homebrewed decks no more.Time to focus on a single class either warlock or mage propably warlock.All other cards will be dusted to create one single powerfull deck.

Yes thats exactly what I am gonna do I have a tier 1 heal zoo deck so come next expansion I am gonna dust my legendaries and epics and create a new tier 1 zoo deck.I cant wait
The thing about homebrew decks is that if they won consistently, they wouldn't be homebrew decks. They'd be mainstream. Don't be hard on yourself if you lose with them more than you would with a Tier 1 net-deck.

Another thing to note (and I'm sure people have mentioned it on your threads in the past) is that it's generally a bad move to dust all your cards and focus on one deck. Decks change in viability and contents all the time, and if you put all your eggs in one basket, you run a high risk of losing out big time. It's always better to slowly grind your way to the decks you want to build while at the same time growing a collection, even if you don't plan on immediately using other cards.
11/27/2018 02:42 PMPosted by HappyFeet
All other cards will be dusted to create one single powerfull deck.

If you plan to play this game for many years, then never dust cards. You will regret it for sure ... but only IF you want to play this game.

In fact, Blizzard should build mechanic preventing people to dusting too many cards. It makes people quit with the game, and I think that's the worse case scenario from developer/company perspective.
Computer programs run by meta sites create the hearthstone netdecks, by leveraging plug-ins like deck tracker.

Humans just try lots of decks, computer programs evaluate the win rate of all those decks, and show which one is the most successful, and then people copy those decks and add new cards.

Then the computer program evaluates all those new decks that are closer to the ideal competitive decks, with all its variations, and then it picks a winner once more.

etc, this happens over a few days, until you have static meta

I think it's wrong to assume someone actually creates successful decks. From what I've seen, that's not how it happens.
If you plan to play this game for many years, then never dust cards.

This ... with the only caveat being that if a person has no interest in Wild Mode then they could conceivably dust sets that rotate into Wild without it impacting them (except in an occasional Brawl, perhaps). Otherwise? Yeah - don't dust anything if you're in it for the long haul. The ROI on dusting sucks, and should always be avoided if possible.
I realize that your post is completely facetious, but remember that for every meta deck, it is homebrew to the creator.

If you could build better decks, that could be you.
Dude, I've told you before not to dust your collection for a single deck or two with the way you like to flip-flop. You'll regret it every time.

A part of me really thinks you're just being intentionally obtuse.
I disagree that Homebrew decks do not work. Yes for the most part they don't but you can still design a deck that someone else hasn't done yet and have it work. I know because I've done it several times. Right now I have a home-brewed shudderwock elemental deck that's doing really well. I've had to refine it many different times to get it to work sometimes even dropping cards I thought that were necessary and trying something different.

Several seasons ago I got to rank 3 with a completely unorthodox priest deck that focused on resurrecting Mountain Giants and it worked.

As someone who almost never plays a meta deck I can tell you that it's possible but it takes a lot of games and commitment and time and a lot of refined in your deck almost to the point where your deck doesn't even look the same as it began. Some things you just can't get to work.

Some things you can get to work that no one thought would work. I have a doctor Morrigan deck right now in Wild that works really well and who's running Doctor Morrigan like nobody.

You can do it just don't be afraid to change your deck don't be afraid to take out pieces and try something different if not for 10 to 20 games. You're almost guaranteed to find some sort of combo that you didn't think of before that works really well.

Keep your head up and also don't dust anything that you don't already have a copy of.
Good luck and happy deck building!
Having one succusful homebrew deck is not that bad, there were times where I tried to do that every month but on average I only really had a good one every three months.

Often a deck that is succesful, looks a lot like stuff thats meta. You can make an anti-something deck easy.

Had an anti-4-mana-7/7 tempo warrior deck during ONIK which was homebrew and it was pure gold.
And almost as good own decks happened only two times more, in over 4 years of playing the game. Often things are a bit meh.

Also memeing is EASY but can have a large influence on the deck and surprise factor. Think of adding a faceless manipulator to odd rogue, you can faceless leeroy, faceless the opponents strong minion and then vilespine it, faceless a double coldblood pirate for 20 burst dmg.... lots of options, 1 card difference.
Not that I actually tried it.

But it goes to give an example that expanding on an existing deck, can give totally new options.
Feel free to add me I'd be happy to look at your deck and help you out
Your problem is that you have a average IQ.

Not get me wrong but deckbuilding homwbrew competitive decks isn't easy.

It actually takes tons of understanding about the metagame you are and gaming experience.

You're not bad at all. In fact most players can't build even a 40% win rate/tier 4 deck this way.So the fact that you had one that you did consider a sucess is already amazing.

You is the one understimating the hability of the deckbuilders that had lead to metadecks if you really think that you should be able to find tons of solutions.

That is my 2 cents about it.
Have to ask. Exactly what ratio do you deem a deck a failure? How many wins and how many losses? I personally try to shoot for about 8-10 games and if I am below 50% it is time to either revamp or scrap it.
It needs to get legend at >55% for me. Then its worth mentioning anyway.

But tbh anything that can get legend even if the winrate is low is a succes.
Perhaps you're too hard on yourself defining "homebrew"?

For myself, I define homebrew by "Did I make this list on my own". An that's good enough for me.

Biggest example: RenoLock, That deck isn't "new" it's been a thing the moment LoE adventure came out. But its my "own" list. I've never fought anyone with card for card matching deck. But anyone can take 30 different cards, as long as Reno is one of them an boooom! You made a RenoLock deck.

Maybe you should add some personal touches to your ZooLock an call it a homebrew? Maybe some Omega Agents to stay in the fight at turn 10? Why not try eggs an prep to use the new Grim Rally card? It's ok to take a popular deck strategy an add some personal flare to reflect yourself.
All meta decks started as homebrew decks

Take note
This thread is full of so many awesome comments.

Seriously guys. Great advice and support.

Happyfeet, as mentioned, don't be too hard on yourself. Defining a deck is a process and not something that just "happens". Takes time, practice and honestly, lots of losses. If you ever come up with a new deck and expect to just jump in and start stacking wins, you are leading yourself down a hard road.

Take each loss as a learning experience. Take notes, make changes and don't be afraid to to admit something isn't working. You'll get there.

Great thread everyone.
11/27/2018 03:43 PMPosted by minami
Your problem is that you have a average IQ.

Not get me wrong but deckbuilding homwbrew competitive decks isn't easy.

It actually takes tons of understanding about the metagame you are and gaming experience.

You're not bad at all. In fact most players can't build even a 40% win rate/tier 4 deck this way.So the fact that you had one that you did consider a sucess is already amazing.

You is the one understimating the hability of the deckbuilders that had lead to metadecks if you really think that you should be able to find tons of solutions.

That is my 2 cents about it.

Sounds a bit douchy at first, and it's not really about IQ that much, but you are basically correct.

You need a pretty good understanding of how Hearthstone works if you want to come up with a viable deck.

That's why players like Zetalot or Fibonacci can consistently come up with good decks, but 99% of the Hearthstone population can't.
11/27/2018 02:42 PMPosted by HappyFeet
no matter how hard I try all my homebrewed decks sucks!

Well all but one that is,and that is not even my strongest deck more like my third strongest deck.

Out of all my attempts to create a competitive home brewed deck I only managed to make 1 that works.Thats like 95% fail rate.

What is wrong with me?I have a average IQ surely I should do better than this.When I am fed up with losing with my home brewed deck I go back to my heal zoo for a few games then go back to my homebrewed deck tweak it a little and try again its exhausting.

No I dont think i am gonna make homebrewed decks no more.Time to focus on a single class either warlock or mage propably warlock.All other cards will be dusted to create one single powerfull deck.

Yes thats exactly what I am gonna do I have a tier 1 heal zoo deck so come next expansion I am gonna dust my legendaries and epics and create a new tier 1 zoo deck.I cant wait

I had the same mentality as you but I ended up focusing on brawls and using my dust to craft neutral legendaries to have a variety of decks.