New Playing Ranked, Decimated Decks

New Player Tavern
currently I'm running Mage, I'm just over level 15 with the Mage and got all basic unlocks for it, however I'm currently in 24 ranked with the new season and keep getting decimated with people with so many combo decks whereas I just have a basic deck, from what I read it's suggested to play Ranked ASAP for the rewards but at this rate it seems seemingless that I'm getting all the great players who played for a long time or paid to win and I'm just not getting put up against players that have an equal opportunity to be evenly matched

joke: worthy opponent, more like overpowered opponent

so in general should I just play solo play or casual or how should I approach this issue?
I avoided PvP until I could defeat the AI in the harder mode. I advise you to do the same.

Tips:
Use your free death knight, they are very strong.

Play Dungeon Run and Monster Hunt to learn the cards.

Basic Cards are just that, basic. Use every card you open from packs, consider switching to whichever class you get more cards for, as well as the death knight.

Classic cards are more important than the expansions, get enough packs for 2 classic legendary cards, then switch to each expansion until you open the first legendary.

Learn the rotation schedule before committing to buying expansion cards.
[...] from what I read it's suggested to play Ranked ASAP for the rewards [...]

That's basically rubbish. Yea, you should snatch that cardback and a golden common is too easy to pass on (being awarded at rank 20) but after that the rewards are totally not worth the hassle until muuuuch later on. Rank 5 (which is basically only achievable grinding with netdecks) nets you a golden epic which is worth 400 dust - that's actually the first thing worth celebrating but before then? Don't make me laugh.
... from what I read it's suggested to play Ranked ASAP for the rewards ...

Thats for new players and rank 50-26. Its not worth it for 25+. Even if you hit Legend, rewards are worth of 500 dust. If you have just basic play Casual mode.
Thanks for the replies :3
10/18/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Truth
Thanks for the replies :3

I recommend Midrange Hunter. I got to rank 1 with it. It's basically free. You really just need the Dire Moles, Crackling Razormaws. The Savanah Highmane's are the only rares, which are a good upgrade, but you can play really any beast you think is strong.
It is the harsh reality, it doesn't change and it only gets worse.

Even at 22 you will be up against gold avatar opponents who draw a legendary pre-first round and will then proceed to play 3-4 legendaries before round 8.

And no, there doesn't seem to be an answer to why or how they are playing at such 'low' levels nor how there is a constant stream of them that really only clears the last week of each month.

All you will get on here is - watch youtube videos, get a netdeck and you'll be rank 5 in a week or two. Hey shot, how's it going?

Focus on casual, get the daily gold, don't try to win and build your deck over - a long - time, but unless you want to spend money you aren't ever going to be able to compete so decide whether you want to bother.
10/17/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Marcoscongas

Basic Cards are just that, basic. Use every card you open from packs, consider switching to whichever class you get more cards for, as well as the death knight.

[/quote]

In its generality this is bad advise. Basic cards can be found all over the place in strength. There are some basic cards that are the way you say, if you start you'd put them in because you have no better, but you quickly replace them with better - for example Bloodfen Raptor and Chillwind Yeti. But there are others that can remain in the deck all the way up to the legendary players versions - for mage that would for example be Flame Strike, Arcane Intellect, Fireball, Polymorph. Yet others should not be put even in a beginner's deck, like Silverback Patriarch or Dalara Mage.
10/17/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Truth
currently I'm running Mage, I'm just over level 15 with the Mage and got all basic unlocks for it, however I'm currently in 24 ranked with the new season and keep getting decimated with people with so many combo decks whereas I just have a basic deck, from what I read it's suggested to play Ranked ASAP for the rewards but at this rate it seems seemingless that I'm getting all the great players who played for a long time or paid to win and I'm just not getting put up against players that have an equal opportunity to be evenly matched

They completely revised the ranking system. New players now start out at Rank 50 and have to win their way up to Rank 25, collecting several card packs along the way. This means that at Rank 24 you are no longer up against new players. You're now up against casual players who have been playing for a long time, but not enough to maintain their ranking. If you think you're going to play new players at Rank 24, think again. I don't know if you can reset your account, but if you can, and you're truly a new player, then I advise that you do so. I started a European account just to try out the new system, and I lost a total of two games between Rank 50 and Rank 45 despite not having a single legendary in my deck.

Both of the games I lost were against Hunters who either lucked or paid their way into Emerald Spellstones. On top of that, they managed to play two secrets (Freezing Trap and Snipe) each by turn 5. Even a top tier deck is hard pressed to overcome a start like that.

Every other game I played was easy mode with some of the worst plays I've seen in my life. I probably saw worse when I was a new player, but at the time I had no idea what I was doing and could not recognize them as such.

The new player experience now highlights how badly Blizzard has managed to screw this game up over the years. In Rank 45-50, building a board and retaining control actually means something. Nowadays, you can count on your opponent flipping the board every four turns or so. That makes the current game extremely frustrating. In Rank 50 games you're actually rewarded for intelligently building a board. In the high ranks, the rewards come from knowing all the meta decks and saving your board flips for turns where your opponent is finally forced to go all in. In lower ranks you play out your minions on curve and fight for the board. In higher ranks you play a game of chicken, calculating how much damage you can sustain before you're forced to use one of your board-clears/heals. The person who survives to their unstoppable combo first wins. Personally, I find the old value style of play more satisfying. The current style of play is good for memes, but you never feel like you earned the win. You just feel lucky.

The only minion-based decks with any success are token decks. That's because those decks are often able to repopulate the board over several rounds of full clears. Again, a win in that style of play doesn't feel earned. You just were lucky enough to repeatedly flood the board despite your opponents' best efforts.
I don't think I played around the time they had 50 ranks, I started at 25 during the halloween event/season 2018, I did play before but I only played 1 match and it wasn't ranked, I won my first match and never came back until now, so where is this 50 rank system when I started at 25?
10/20/2018 03:14 AMPosted by Truth
I don't think I played around the time they had 50 ranks, I started at 25 during the halloween event/season 2018, I did play before but I only played 1 match and it wasn't ranked, I won my first match and never came back until now, so where is this 50 rank system when I started at 25?

Only for new accounts. You start at rank 50. You will get 18+- classic packs when you go from rank 50 to 25.
I would still put unlocking all heroes and defeating all of the Expert AI heroes before hitting Rank 50 (aside from the 2 Play quests you get, Play 1 Game vs. an Opponent, Play 3 Games vs. an Opponent.) Those you can just concede when it shows you your draw; you don't need to play them out, so quick, easy quests. You should also do the Frozen Throne prologue for a free death knight legendary before hitting ranked. You can open a lot of packs and get a handful of legendary cards before you ever even need to play Ranked. Those additional cards will make your experience much better.