Is the Game Dying?

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I get queues against people two ranks higher than me. On top of that, they’re celebrating 100 million players, which is a meaningless statistic when you factor in how many of those are old or inactive players. Maybe they’re trying to get people back for an expansion that had very little impact. Finally, Twitch is full of foreign streamers, like the Chinese farmers left in World of Warcraft. Game is dying, folks.
If you listen to t0rn and Lyrist as if they had credibility you might think so.
I am always curious what life is like for people who,as far as I can tell from their internet persona are just cynical and sad all the time.

I really couldn’t imagine that a way of life. But to answer the question, sure it is if you want it to be the world is your oyster.

Please stop speculation and become confident in this as the final answer to all you questions.
11/08/2018 10:39 AMPosted by xlux
If you listen to t0rn and Lyrist as if they had credibility you might think so.

This thread should end here because xlux just shot OP with a cannon at point blank from top of a mountain into a lava pit. The volcano exploded and the lava expelled landed on top of Lyrist.
Well...there celebrating 100 million downloads and its Blizzard, so I am sure there will be players around for a decade or 2...
Well, if you look at the progression of total downloads, 100 million seems pretty accurate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/323239/number-gamers-hearthstone-heroes-warcraft-worldwide/
Didn't you quit a few days ago? Jesus how weak willed are you?
Fewer people are playing. Fewer people are streaming. Fewer people are watching.
11/08/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Haunter187
Well, if you look at the progression of total downloads, 100 million seems pretty accurate.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/323239/number-gamers-hearthstone-heroes-warcraft-worldwide/

Nobody is doubting that there are 100 million accounts, or 100 million downloads. This has already been discussed and made clear in 12 other threads. The issue is there's nothing to say how many of those accounts are active players versus players that have since quit, uninstalled, creating alternate accounts, botting, etc... And the alleged growth of the player base doesn't mesh with other public data that shows fewer people playing, fewer people watching, the competitive scene falling apart, growing distaste for the devs and the design of the game, and so on.
11/08/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Lyrist
11/08/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Haunter187

Nobody is doubting that there are 100 million accounts, or 100 million downloads. This has already been discussed and made clear in 12 other threads. The issue is there's nothing to say how many of those accounts are active players versus players that have since quit, uninstalled, creating alternate accounts, botting, etc... And the alleged growth of the player base doesn't mesh with other public data that shows fewer people playing, fewer people watching, the competitive scene falling apart, growing distaste for the devs and the design of the game, and so on.

The player base has grown by 30 million people in the last year.

It can’t be that dead, lol.
11/08/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Crazyman666
Torn go play artifact. Lyrist get some friends. You guys are just cry babies. You guys must drive your families nuts.

For as much as you guys say I'm a loser for posting so much, you all sure pop up pretty quickly and consistently every time I'm on.
11/08/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Haunter187
11/08/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Lyrist

It's as if you didn't read my post at all.
11/08/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Lyrist

you claimed there is a site showing how many active players the game has but ...no link
public data that shows fewer people playing

I did, and replied with the fact that there are 30 million extra players since 2017.

You think there are 30 million bots running around?

Let’s get into the flesh of this argument. If you think the game is dying, what is your estimation of the current active player number? Is this number reflected in your rationale and sources?

Do you have any actual numbers?
Twitch used to have Hearthstone as the 4th most streamed game.

Now it's position 18th, behind Magic The Gathering.

Draw your own conclusions.
Declining? Sure, the honeymoon's over. Over time the interest in a game falls off and what is left is "the stable playerbase". We just hit 100 million players.

Stagnating? Maybe, 3 expansions per year leave little space for true innovation and / or taking a step back to see the bigger picture and / or looming problems.

But dying? No, not by a long shot. At least not at the moment.

you claimed there is a site showing how many active players the game has but ...no link
[quote]public data that shows fewer people playing

There's no one site, you have to look around. I've already explained this probably a dozen times.

The most recent VS report logged 60k games. There's a normal cycle where the number of games is very high right after a set is released and it wanes in later reports until the metagame is settled and the hype dies, and it will go up again later if there's a balance update or a new set or something. If you look at VS over the last few years, the highs after a set used to start higher, the lows used to be higher, and the time it took to decline was longer. 60k is about as low as I've ever seen it, and we just had the nerfs.

Twitch viewership is down. Toast actually did a thing on his stream a while back where he showed a spreadsheet of nearly every streamer including himself losing half of their viewers. Tournament stream viewership has also declined in the last few years.

Hearthstone just started doing that twitch cheer promotion to help compensate players for competing. They had to do that to make it worth people's time to play in them. That's the reason why hearthstone competitive teams have been disbanding - even if they're winning teams the earnings don't cover the teams expenses and it's just too hard to perform consistently. That's even why the players who are broadcasters for the events choose to broadcast. Even years ago in one of firebats streams, I saw it in a YouTube video of it and I couldn't even begin to know what he was playing or what it was called to look it up, but he was saying that the reason he prefers casting to playing in the tournaments now is because the casters are the real winners - they get paid consistently, they don't have to prepare and play nearly as much, they don't have to deal with the frustration of playing the game, and they don't have to worry about getting knocked out of their payday by RNG or unfavorable polarized matchups or technical issues. It's literally better to work as event staff than to play and win the tournaments.
11/08/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Aurelie
Twitch used to have Hearthstone as the 4th most streamed game.

Now it's position 18th, behind Magic The Gathering.

Draw your own conclusions.

This is very worrisome for the future of Heartstone. Losing the battle on Twitch meaning giving up the professional aspect of the game. Having 1 billion active players means nothing if all of them are Instagram-loving teenagers.

If Hearthstone turned into another Angry Bird, then it would be considered dead regardless of how financially successful it is