Is the Game Dying?

Play Mode Discussion
Lyrist never has any proof. Just the usual negative, pull whatever fact I want out of my derriere and claim it as gospel.

In other words...a fool.
11/08/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Difford
Lyrist never has any proof. Just the usual negative, pull whatever fact I want out of my derriere and claim it as gospel.

In other words...a fool.
Yep. MTGA is so much better yet he can't let HS go or get it out if his head. Strange he doesn't spend his time on their message boards given how awesome MTGA is........wastes all his time here whining and moaning.
11/08/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Hazama
11/08/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Difford

In other words...a fool.
Yep. MTGA is so much better yet he can't let HS go or get it out if his head. Strange he doesn't spend his time on their message boards given how awesome MTGA is........wastes all his time here whining and moaning.

What better way to not play Hearthstone than to spend all of one’s time posting on the Hearthstone forums?
<span class="truncated">...</span>
I don't know why he's getting downvoted but it's true registered users hardy tells us the whole story. I myself created 5 accounts for recruit the friends/Nemsy/TB cardback quest, never touched my alts ever since.

What you want to know is the monthly active users and Blizzard will never public that numbers unless it benefits them.
Do you really think it is common practice for people to have 5 accounts? You do know the message boards tend to attract the hardcore crowd right? This place is not representative of the masses. Also I have played for years and only have 1 account. I imagine most people don't have the desire or patience to create 5 accounts dude. Even if only 10 million are active users, that still crushes the competition in a big way.

I'm not saying most of those accounts are alts. What I'm asking why everyone numbers of registered users is the indication of HS "currently" popularity?

Just did a quick check, I have 23 friends in my list and 1/4 of them been pretty much inactive for more than 1 years, half of them was last seen 2 months ago. And I'm pretty sure they're counted as 100m "registered" users as well. Does that paint the whole picture? No, it does not.

Ofc the total registered users grow over time but it does not mean most of them are active players. Hearthstone is a free to play game, anyone with a phone can create an account, try the game then never touch it again 5 minutes later like they always do with other billions mobile games on the market.

Take World of Warcraft for example, it has more total "registered accounts" than Hearthstone but the numbers of subs been in steady decline since its peak 12m active users. Currently BFA only has 5m subs and very close to the all time low(according to statista).

And lastly, I have no proof, none of us does we can only suspect and discuss. That's what forums are for.
[quote="207682611889"]
What you want to know is the monthly active users and Blizzard will never public that numbers unless it benefits them.

We have seen this before in other Blizzard games and I think this is more relevant than the total number of accounts or where we sit in the expansion.

I am sure that Blizzard, you, and I all have different definitions of "active player" and that Blizzard's definition includes players that neither you nor I would consider "active".
Well I still play. So its alive to me...
Hearthstone isn't as popular as it used to be but it is by no means dying.
Why can't people just stop playing games they don't enjoy? It's insane, especially with Blizzard games, when I stopped playing WoW and Diablo 3 I didn't hang around on the forums to talk about how much I hated those games.
11/08/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Bowser
11/08/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Lyrist

What is this semantic crap?

Yeah, the number of players is increasing if you include "LOL I LOOOVE HEARTHSTONE AOOOOO MUCH, I PLAY IT SOOOO MUCH (with my boyfriend once a week for about 6 minutes in the bar until his friends arrive)" players. If only those players actually supported the game or played the game more or genuinely cared about the game in any way other than a disposable source of entertainment that could just as easily be replaced with candy crush or snood.

How is it semantics? Your claim is people are leaving the game. I have shown evidence to the contrary. So, now show me yours proving that your OPINION =has any factual basis. Activity and number of players are not now, nor have they ever been, synonymous.

Yeah, activity and number of players is not synonymous. That's the point, and that's why I'm not only focusing on number of players or number of streamers or how much people play. I'm looking at ALL OF IT from a bunch of different areas as a big picture. Forum activity, streamer activity, VS report data, what people are saying about the game, what devs say and do with the game, the health of the esports scene, the promotions and sales and stuff blizzard is trying to use to keep people interested, etc... I don't have the actual, hard, meaningful sales and activity data that blizzard keeps, and blizzard will never tell, so I have no choice but to look at all of these different things. That's why there's no one, neat, perfect little number I can hand you and say "here you go, here's a number you can easily regurgitate without thinking about it."

I didn't notice toast had a spurt in viewership activity. I'll take your word for it, and it's fine if there are 2 or 3 other hearthstone streamers that have remained stable. But looking at aggregate numbers across all streamers we're still way down in viewership, and that is definitely a sign that people are less interested in the game than before. No matter how you slice it, it's the truth. You already acknowledge the truth that people play less than they used to. And we can all see people dipping out of hearthstone esports because it's not worth the time or effort. That's why the "100 million players!" talking point is puffery and nonsense. They know it doesn't actually mean anything. They're just trying to run a promotion to hook people again, then maybe they'll play a little bit and preorder. That's it. It doesn't indicate health in the game at all.

I can't believe you guys right now, you're like NPCs fighting for NPC representation.
11/08/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Lyrist
I can't believe you guys right now, you're like NPCs fighting for NPC representation.

Still waiting for something data driven from you, which you continually fail to provide. I dont want your opinion, but actual numbers as I have shown with an increase in population and a decrease in activity.

Its more your general attitude since the nerf wave which irks me tbh. You have been quite unpleasant on numerous occasions, and it really is getting old. You have been saltier than Kripp on a daily basis, and it really is doing nothing to support your stance. Why would I take anything you say seriously when all you have done is !@#$% and moan for weeks now?
11/08/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Bowser
11/08/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Lyrist

Still waiting for something data driven from you, which you continually fail to provide. I dont want your opinion, but actual numbers as I have shown with an increase in population and a decrease in activity.

Its more your general attitude since the nerf wave which irks me tbh. You have been quite unpleasant on numerous occasions, and it really is getting old. You have been saltier than Kripp on a daily basis, and it really is doing nothing to support your stance. Why would I take anything you say seriously when all you have done is !@#$% and moan for weeks now?
This.
I feel the same, i'm rather new to HS, a year of playing, i'm going to give it the last opportunity with next expansion... if it sucks balls, i think i'm done. Game's being less enjoyable as day passes, i prefer throwing dices than those full RNG matches; man, even playing rock paper scissors involves more skill.
11/08/2018 05:20 PMPosted by t0rn
<span class="truncated">...</span> Yep. MTGA is so much better yet he can't let HS go or get it out if his head. Strange he doesn't spend his time on their message boards given how awesome MTGA is........wastes all his time here whining and moaning.

What better way to not play Hearthstone than to spend all of one’s time posting on the Hearthstone forums?

But what logic is that? Not that it's my time to waste but why would anyone waste their time, making themselves hated on the forums of a game they don't play? There is so much better uses of their time.

I mean for me, I'm posting in between watching the Blizzcon stuff. I'm still trying to get through the content.

11/08/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Cascade
Why can't people just stop playing games they don't enjoy? It's insane, especially with Blizzard games, when I stopped playing WoW and Diablo 3 I didn't hang around on the forums to talk about how much I hated those games.

I know right? I just don't get it.

11/08/2018 06:27 PMPosted by DarkclouD
even playing rock paper scissors involves more skill.

No it's not. That's a silly a thing to say.
{<run search for data>
<data <100 million players>
ERROR: [no compatible data found]
<run quotemine selection protocol - discard remainder of post>
<queue generic greeting>}

"Still waiting for something data driven from you..."

Is there a programmer in the house?
11/08/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Lyrist
[quote]{<run search for data>

For someone who purportedly despises Hearthstone, you sure spend a lot of time on these forums commenting negatively about its activity, design, balance, and future, while directly or indirectly ignoring every single post people make to contend with your insubstantial points.

Could the case be, perhaps, that you are a instigating troll to whom no one should pay any attention?

If you legitimately do not enjoy the game and are worried about the direction it is taking, it would respectfully be for the best to take a hiatus and carefully consider whether you wish to return (and if so, when you want to). This suggestion is for the sake of your health, time, and entertainment derived from playing or talking about the game. :}
11/08/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Hazama
Even if only 10 million are active users, that still crushes the competition in a big way.
This basically is the point. Some people here give way too much credit to themselves. Most people realize number of 100 million hardly is the active number of players. On the other hand, they don't realize even discluding inactive accounts from that 100 million, it's still a large number. Cut that number in half, a quarter, or even 10%, that's still a huge number of players playing the game to be called 'dying'. Declining? yeah sure. Dying? Just no. In that sense, we're all dying, even if we have like 40-70 extra years to live.
11/08/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Phobetor
11/08/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Lyrist
[quote]{<run search for data>

For someone who purportedly despises Hearthstone, you sure spend a lot of time on these forums commenting negatively about its activity, design, balance, and future, while directly or indirectly ignoring every single post people make to contend with your insubstantial points.

Could the case be, perhaps, that you are a instigating troll to whom no one should pay any attention?

If you legitimately do not enjoy the game and are worried about the direction it is taking, it would respectfully be for the best to take a hiatus and carefully consider whether you wish to return (and if so, when you want to). This suggestion is for the sake of your health, time, and entertainment derived from playing or talking about the game. :}

How am I ignoring points? I've directly responded to everything that's said to me.

Someone just responded to me by cutting everything of substance out of my post and just covering a quip at the end, and you're saying I'm the one dodging points. Unbelievable.

"Stop talking and go away" isn't a valid counterpoint, either. I suggest you remove yourself from discussions you're so uninterested in if you genuinely believe that. I have every right to criticize the game however I please and doing so isn't harmful to me or anybody else in the slightest.
11/08/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Rks
I'm not saying most of those accounts are alts. What I'm asking why everyone numbers of registered users is the indication of HS "currently" popularity?

Most of us do not consider the two terms as equivalent, just that, if the number of users is increasing, then the game is not "dying" or suffers from "players leaving in droves". The game may be stagnating, players may play less, others may indeed be leaving, but there is a middle ground between "It's as successful as it's ever been" and "Its one step away from the grave"
11/08/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Hazama
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This.

I think dying is overblown but.... I bring data to a discussion that has lacked it.

Vs' data down and Twitch viewership down were indicators but the reliability of that data wasn't fully there; however, we now have data that does provide proof that HS is declining:
Q3 Investor Call 2018
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/9vhbs8/according_to_todays_q3_2018_activisionblizzard/

At Blizzard, monthly active users were 37 million, consistent with the prior quarter. Overwatch monthly active users were broadly stable quarter over quarter. Hearthstone monthly active users declined, although PvP modes again attracted strong engagement.

Edit:
By the way we shouldn't really be shocked. KoFT had a very strong recognizable theme, powerful cards, and the DKs still felt new and exciting during Q3. On the flip side Boomsday hasn't changed the game a ton and had no prebuilt theme that would attract '3rd level' users potentially.
Just play and enjoy the game....

In sure once it eventually declines somebody will create a open source hearthstone and create regular card expansions.