Ranked

New Player Tavern
hi ppl im new 2 the game & my ? is ... is ranked the only way 2 play in hearthstone
Not in the least and if anything the worst thing you can experience when you first start.

Stay away from ranked completely until you feel comfortable winning in casual, when you unlock it if you started at 50.

There are also the free solo adventures you can get familiar with the cards and also understand how few you actually have in your collection, but don't expect to win there as the developers have applied the same insanely overpowered logic to the bosses as they do to scripted ranked.

Some of their powers are a ranked players dream to die for, if you have the wrong deck to face them you don't stand any chance at all.

Stay away from tavern brawl and arena as well, you will get crushed either by randomness or players with the same vastly superior decks as ranked.

Overall - stick to casual and do the dailies until you feel you can compete in it, you are still going to get gold avatar legendary scripted play players as opponents there but you will come across normal players who you can have a good game against occasionally.

When you first start the more you try to compete the more annihilated you will get, it is a slow process to actually see any light and start to win consistently in casual.

And even then when you think you are ready for ranked you will 1) start to recognise the cut and paste decks you will come up against time after time, b) that you have to spend a lot of money to rub shoulders with equivalent players at 25-20 and yet there is no explanation why they are there and not 19+.
In addition to the reply by Halo:

Until recently I would agree with him completely. That was when the lowest rank was 25.

But the "new player experience" was changed recently. New players now are entered in rank 50, and during their climb from 50 to 25 are sure to only encounter other new players (or at least new accounts), with a similarly limited card collection. During this climb they will receive a fairly generous amount of free extra packs. Hoever, most other game modes are locked until you reach level 25.
There is apparently a way to "opt out" of this new player experience and advance immdiately to rank 25. You forfeit the packs if you opt for this, but you do immediately unlock the other game modes.

My advice is to stay in the new player experience and go for all the extra packs.
The idea of starting at 50 and gaining packs on the way to 25 is for the new player to have more cards and experience available once they face tougher competition.

The first thing to do in the game is to unlock all of the heroes and level them to 10 to get all of their basic cards. Along the way, beat all of the expert AI heroes to complete a hidden quest (you have to keep track yourself of which ones you beat as this isn't outwardly tracked; also, beating a live player will count for that class.) Do all of the newbie quests that pop up. Do the Monster Hunt quests when they appear, as they reward packs. Do the Frozen Throne adventure prologue for a free death knight.

The next step is probably getting one hero to 20th to unlock Tavern Brawl. Play it each week until you get that week's reward (usually a Classic card pack, but sometimes it will be for an upcoming set, or the reward will be a special card back.)

Spend gold wisely. You want to buy packs from one set until you open a legendary, then move to another set, as you are guaranteed a legendary card in the first 10 packs of a set that's new to you. After you hit one though, the guarantee drops to 1 in 40 packs. Because of all the Classic packs that you get from newbie quests and ranking up from 50, there is no need to buy Classic at first. Once you get all of your 1 in 10 pack legendaries, then either buy Classic and/or save gold for the next expansion. There are a lot of necessary cards in Classic, and it's the only set that doesn't rotate out of Standard, so by far it's the best value until you hit diminishing returns (where the average pack is usually nothing but duplicates, and you're just dusting the cards.)
10/28/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Halo572
Not in the least and if anything the worst thing you can experience when you first start.

Stay away from ranked completely until you feel comfortable winning in casual, when you unlock it if you started at 50.

This information is outdated. Casual is no longer even an option for new players. Ranked is the only game mode outside of Practice for Rank 50 players. That having been said, the Rank 50 experience is very different from what the Rank 25 experience was. You're no longer a speed bump for a returning player who has been out of the game for a few months. You'll be matched up against other brand new players instead.

I don't think he was asking for advice. He was literally asking if Ranked was the only mode available, and the answer is now yes.
[quote="207682497403"]
I don't think he was asking for advice. He was literally asking if Ranked was the only mode available, and the answer is now yes.

Fair enough, I have no experience of the new starter mode, but everything else I have said stands.

All they are going to do is get a honeymoon period before they get to realise what the real gameplay is for all the modes.

Casual is the only viable option as at least you sometimes get some normal players where you can get a glimpse of what this game should be like without all the cut and paste, epics, legendaries and death knight heroes.

They are going to get a nasty shock when they enter ranked at 25 and find it has no relation to anything they have previously played and if they bother to persist to 20 that every other player pulls baku, relies solely on their death knight hero or cuts and pastes a netdeck you get sick of seeing game after game after game after game after game after game ∞

I am sure that most of them will want to return to the new player experience very quickly after that.
10/29/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Halo572

They are going to get a nasty shock when they enter ranked at 25 and find it has no relation to anything they have previously played and if they bother to persist to 20 that every other player pulls baku, relies solely on their death knight hero or cuts and pastes a netdeck you get sick of seeing game after game after game after game after game after game ∞

I am sure that most of them will want to return to the new player experience very quickly after that.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens in a couple of months when new players start hitting Rank 25. I started a Rank 50 account on EU, and the experience has been so different. I'm in the 30s now, and the game relies far more on fundamentals. The only broken card that I consistently encounter is Emerald Spellstone. New players have no answer to two turns of Hunter secrets followed by a Spellstone that dumps four 3/3 bodies on the board for five mana. We used to whine about a 4-mana 7/7, and now there's a 5-mana 12/12 split four ways.