Rampant Negativity

Play Mode Discussion
Seems like every thread on the forums right now is someone expressing their dissatisfaction with the current state of the game. Then that post gets instantly downvoted to like -14 or so, followed by a bunch of replies sharing similar opinions. It just seems like no one here is having a good time. Even the people who say they are do so by trying to strong arm people who aren't with tons of hostility. That doesn't seem to make things better. Anyone have positive experiences here?
When I first started posting on these forums the issue was the same, but the conditions were horrible compared to now. If you had issues with the game the same group of regulars would appear, harass the op and even break CoC in the process but there would be no bans handed out. It has improved since those days but not by a whole lot as the voting for popularity is still a thing. Along with a popularity contest that was supported and regulated by a mod which in the end failed.

Voting on posts actually doesn't promote a discussion, just a suppression of certain threads that the majority would deem unsavory. Enabling a polling system for a forum if Blizzard wants feed back makes more sense than the current system in place.

My best positive experience was helping bring awareness to the mods that there were regs pushing players away from the forums with their actions and then the mods started to crack down on the problems. But I noticed that at least one that had a perma banned is now able to post once again, I feel that the forums are destined to repeat history. Besides the devs all prefer reddit.
Sometimes people thank you for helping or suggesting a deck. Sometimes you get people who are intolerant.
It's like a small town here, except that people are hidden behind their computer.
There are a fair few card discussions up, there was a fairly interesting discussion on the state and direction of mobile gaming recently and there have been quite a few friend threads and at least a couple of deck help threads in the last couple of days.

Sure, there are a number of complaint threads, but that seems to be the default state of official forums of any kind, especially those that are lightly moderated.

There is good and bad on these forums and if you choose to focus on the bad, they are going to be a pretty toxic place. If you enjoy the good and meet a few cool people along the way, that's good enough for me, personally.

There is something to be said for the Reddit system that brings particularly interesting posts to the forefront, but the criticism that it tends to result in an echo chamber is also fair. I'll be curious to see how the Discord shift effects the forums and the types of content we'll see from posters.
"Negative" post may not be necessarily "bad". They provide some insight to how another person may view a topic in another perspective. However, posts with no respect for others and without valid/ lopsided evidences can be very detrimental for the health of the forum.

Personally, I have learnt alot from the forum, not only on the game, but also on my communication skill. I am more careful with what I post and be more respectful/tolerant to other posters. For posts I regard as "bad", I refrain from replying my thoughts. For posts that are "good", I will attempt to contribute wherever I can.

Lastly, I do hope the Dev/Mod/CM can take a more active lead to improve the forum experience, because the posters have their limitations as well.
In my opinion, this forum is heavily undermoderated.

Most of the complain-threads here are repetitive and should be closed and the few good ones are often highjacked by players, who go on off-topic ramblings about why they hate Hearthstone... who should be banned.

I think it is sad how there are almost no threads at all about how to approach specific matchups or builds aside from the occasional meme build. Everyone seems to complain about losing, but nobody seems to have any interest in getting better...

I would love to see "What should you keep in your opening hand as Zoolock against Druid" instead of "Nerf Spreading Plague Vol.24"..
If I were moderating these forums, there would be a lot of people (most of whom have thousands of posts) receiving frequent suspensions for being obnoxious and contributing little or nothing other than noise to discussions.

And then the company would fire me for routinely banning the fan boys :)
There are people that are salty, and people that simply want change, an person that is salty can also want change but can just simply be wording himself in a bad manner, which has consequenses that his claims about ''something'' might not be taken serious.

Look if a person is biased in his opinion, or simply doesn't see the full picture, (regarding the effects the proposed choices can make). different points of view are handy and can fill up things we may not have thought of ourselves.
Its pretty much normal at this point into a set for complaints/negativity to increase, many people are at "burnout" phase of the meta. Its probably a bit worse this time as not much has really changed in the last 6 months in terms of the decks in the meta, but its still par for the course a month before a new set launches to see an increase in complaints/negativity.

11/11/2018 01:41 PMPosted by NiXDart
Anyone have positive experiences here?

Absolutely. The tournaments Lykotic has been holding for the Discord and forum communities this year have been an absolute blast. I get to see what my stupidity can achieve in a casual/semi-competitive tournament and have a good laugh (most of the time anyway).
11/11/2018 02:38 PMPosted by happyfeet
There are people that are salty, and people that simply want change, an person that is salty can also want change but can just simply be wording himself in a bad manner, which has consequenses that his claims about ''something'' might not be taken serious.

Look if a person is biased in his opinion, or simply doesn't see the full picture, (regarding the effects the proposed choices can make). different points of view are handy and can fill up things we may not have thought of ourselves.

But they are not "different viewpoints". They are exactly the same viewpoints that have been brought up a hundred times before.

- Hearthstone is no longer fun
- Matchups are too polarized
- The game is not interactive enough
- Every class is cancer
- Nerf Spreading Plague
- Blizzard is greedy
- Blizzard is incompetent
- Matchmaking is rigged
- MTGA is way better

It's the same stuff over and over again... repetitive threads should be considered spam and closed. And spammers should eventually be suspended if they keep doing it.
When a game has a lot of problems, its community will have a lot of problems.

Simple as that.

And now we have people complaining about complainers.
11/11/2018 02:57 PMPosted by WarrenBleezy
11/11/2018 02:38 PMPosted by happyfeet

But they are not "different viewpoints". They are exactly the same viewpoints that have been brought up a hundred times before.

- Hearthstone is no longer fun
- Matchups are too polarized
- The game is not interactive enough
- Every class is cancer
- Nerf Spreading Plague
- Blizzard is greedy
- Blizzard is incompetent
- Matchmaking is rigged
- MTGA is way better

It's the same stuff over and over again... repetitive threads should be considered spam and closed. And spammers should eventually be suspended if they keep doing it.

Im talking about different viewpoints about nerfing a card or having it remain the same, why would one say nerf an card and the other say let it stay the same if it weren't different points of view? it matters if someone can support their argument or not, if a person makes valid arguments in a supposed ''spam'' threat would you not listen simply because you dislike another thread was made about the same subject?
Ahh yes, the post about how others choosing to contribute to the forum boards.

People talk about wanting to see other topics than complaint threads, then why not just be the leader an start those topics?

Perhaps people feel bad when none post in those threads, the reason negative threads are so popular is simply because most people reconigize the topic at hand "X CARD IS UNFAIR"! An feel like they might see if someone else feels like them when they have card played agaisnt them, or even arguing that maybe the card is fine, like how Riddler does with every Druid card ever.

I promise you guys wouldn't have much fun if the complaints threads were always removed. It's healthy to have positive threads an negative ones. Just remember to contribute to what you personally wanna see on these boards an it'll go much further than you might believe.
11/11/2018 03:07 PMPosted by happyfeet

Im talking about different viewpoints about nerfing a card or having it remain the same, why would one say nerf an card and the other say let it stay the same if it weren't different points of view? it matters if someone can support their argument or not, if a person makes valid arguments in a supposed ''spam'' threat would you not listen simply because you dislike another thread was made about the same subject?

No, because he could have added to the already existing discussion instead of starting a new one.

When someone makes a thread claiming the earth is flat, I don't make a new one claiming the earth is round. I respond to it in his thread.
Majority of people come here to complain. Sometimes myself included. It’s just the way it is, it’s a lot rarer to see someone come to a forum to express how happy they are after a win compared to a loss

In saying that there’s a lot of quality posters on here so if you keep your eyes open you will normally find what your looking for
The problem at the root stems from a lack of game balance. The developers motivation is unknown to me whether incompetence or motivated by what will make people spend more money on packs for those broken epics and legendary cards. Either way, the game has only so many broken, overpowered cards each expansion and that makes people play only a very small fraction of the cards in the entire game bc they win games. If the game had proper balance, you would not see the exact same copy/paste decks most of you are already tired of playing against.

When I play ladder from rank 10 to legend I would primparily see odd paladin, odd rogue, zoo. even warlock, druid and maybe another deck along the way.

It's copy/paste HS for me. Nothing more than mostly sheep.
I'm fine with people downvoting threads that don't promote a discussion, be they positive or negative. People who want to talk about their problems with Hearthstone need to remember that this board isn't Blizzard's complaint department, it's called "play mode discussion".
Likewise there are some posters who vehemently defend the game at every chance they get and yet the quality of many of their posts is absolutely awful.
I think that's how most feedback is in general. If i generally have no problem with the game I wouldn't find a need to be on the forums. However, if I have an issue then the games forums would be the first place that i would complain.
I had a strategy-involving match for once.

Meaning...it wasn't just mulli and play your 1-2-3-4-5 curve opponent.
My opponent played I think 4 or 5 Tess's. I think she was up to like 15-20 casts.
as a hunter, which is hard to do, I cleared his 7-minion board three times I recall.
Shadowstep really is OP in a battecry-dominated game.

Involving Explorer's Hats...and a LOT of them...against my deathrattle non-egg Hunter...with my own Hats...and dub Toxic Arrows ofc because it is a very good card contrary to so many forum posts back then. His Giant Sand Wyrm got up to like 20/20.

We both burned cards...filled our hands with Hats like 6-7 of them going on...went down to the last play...he Espionage'd twice no elekk mid-match. So I managed to come back from a 20 card defecit with my 30...and ended up losing with like 2 cards in both of our decks.

Also, a huuuuge Yogg went down a couple times too.
Crazy match, super fun, I lost and don't mind, and HS barely has these types of matches anymore.

Next-opponent? Big Priest WIld from google.
Nothing noteworthy...or worth even speaking about its so common, seen, expected, lookedup.
11/11/2018 01:56 PMPosted by SverdSanity
My best positive experience was helping bring awareness to the mods that there were regs pushing players away from the forums with their actions and then the mods started to crack down on the problems.

How did you bring awareness of regulars pushing players away from posting? I see many regular posters who should not be posting continue to post after being reported many times for their actions, so if you could share your secret it would be appreciated. My tactics clearly arent working!

11/11/2018 01:56 PMPosted by SverdSanity
But I noticed that at least one that had a perma banned is now able to post once again, I feel that the forums are destined to repeat history.

And who would that be?

If its who i think it is then i can understand the ban being overturned. There are far worse regualr posters on these forums than who think your talking about.