Hearthstone Has Real Competition

Play Mode Discussion
10/07/2018 10:00 PMPosted by Gishgeron
10/07/2018 04:25 PMPosted by Wyattbw09

Because then it won’t be Magic (although as a non standard format it would be great). Magic is unlike any other game to the degree that the mulligan phase can determine e so much. Great hand light mana, do you risk keeping it or throw the whole thing back it’s one of the truly great decisions of ANY Magic game.

Win or lose with the mulligan is a critical aspect of Magic, some like it some hate it.

I disagree.

It's not a decision at all. See, if the choice was between an early game card or late game in hearthstone...you might not later draw those cards as you need them. But you could always play which ever card you chose.

In magic, that system ends the game before a single card was played. It not only removes agency from the player...but also the opponent and the entire meta its happening in. No one made a choice that mattered in a game where you draw no lands. No strategy was impactful...no tech even considered.

We rage against team 5 because of how polarized and bad some things like quest rogue are. Mana screw? Worse by orders of magnitude. Its a rng game ender that removes all value and skill from every possible thing one can do.

It's a game you literally 100% lost because you bothered to play at all.

It's not clever. It's not intuitive. It adds exactly nothing positive to the game. And there is nothing worse than watching a professional game decided this way. I'd rather go back to the Yogg Saron meta than deal with that. Yogg Saron is much more fair to both players than land cards are.

I agree with you, but keep in mind how old MTG is. In hindsight it might seem like bad design, but back then nobody could predict what MTG would become and now you really can't change it anymore, since the entire game is balanced around it.

There is a reason why even though Blizzard copied a lot from MTG, that is something they changed. They took what worked got rid of what didn't.
Is black-blue control any good right now?

It's been a while since I last played, but might come back to see how my favourite archetype is doing.
10/08/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Beldor

It's been a while since I last played, but might come back to see how my favourite archetype is doing.

U/B control is in a pretty decent spot atm imo, the new Surveil mechanic is pretty powerful and disinformation campaign is an evil card!

As far as rng in HS and MtG, both have an rng component, and this is not some accident or oversight, they NEED rng or they would be too predictable and thus boring.

Getting Land screwed in MtG feels really bad, you literally don't get to play the game, and Hearthstone's system is arguably superior, at least you don't end up mulliganing to four and just losing the game on the spot! However I still love playing MtG, you just have to accept 1/x games is just going to be a wash.

As for the Bo3/sideboard issue, one of the very interesting things that has become apparent with the advent of Arena is that folks don't particularly like playing Bo3 and the majority will choose bo1 , and tbh this doesn't surprise me, being able to sideboard to victory seems attractive in practice, but your opponent gets to sideboard too, so it's not like you can suddenly swap a few cards in and have a favourable match-up, your match-up might go from heavily unfavoured to just unfavoured, but it seems most people would just rather start a new game vs a new deck rather than play vs someone who has just beaten them.
10/08/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Beldor

You'd have to check tournament ladders for something beyond this generic response:

It is still decent because the backbone of the deck style of denial with some mean tricks has been a fairly steady strong idea in Magic. With that said it is no where near as good, I believe, then it was a few months ago when Scarab God was Standard viable. Without Scarab God and a slightly worse Lilliana (Planeswalker) for U/B Control the combo isn't in the best position it has been in I feel.

I might be missing something form reading over all the cards this weekend when theorycrafting various decks (up to 6 ideas, lol building one at a time) but that is how I saw U/B looking right now.

U/B is usually my Primary deck (U/B/G right now)
https://www.twitch.tv/thijshs

Thijs is playing Magic the Gathering today. Fun to watch. Glad these long time Hearthstone players maybe converting over to Magic.

Seeing how well Thijs does in this game (MTGA).
10/07/2018 04:04 PMPosted by Boreas
10/07/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Wyattbw09

Because getting land screwed or flooded happens. However, it does not feel nearly as bad as when you spend 10-15 minutes playing a game and they just drop one card and auto win the game.

Team five it appears will never understand its how you lose not how you win that causes bad feelings in Hearthstone.

i find it really hard to believe MTG doesnt have OTKs

Magic has plenty of OTKs but it also has Instant spells that allow you to react and stop their combo.
10/08/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Lykotic

Sounds like we have similar ideas! Currently refining a U/B/G list featuring Muldrotha and a bunch of Surveil/Undergrowth shenanigans.

Losing TSG and Lily definitely hurts though, those cards were just insane value, but I'm still doing alright with it, loving unmoored ego to wreck those Teferi decks, they really aren't that great once you nobble the big T!
Facing lots of Boros aggro and green stompy on ladder, hard games but definitely winnable, Find/Finality is worth crafting imho.
10/08/2018 10:38 AMPosted by megajeff
10/08/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Lykotic

Sounds like we have similar ideas! Currently refining a U/B/G list featuring Muldrotha and a bunch of Surveil/Undergrowth shenanigans.

Losing TSG and Lily definitely hurts though, those cards were just insane value, but I'm still doing alright with it, loving unmoored ego to wreck those Teferi decks, they really aren't that great once you nobble the big T!
Facing lots of Boros aggro and green stompy on ladder, hard games but definitely winnable, Find/Finality is worth crafting imho.

I'm going a more denial route using Pirate's raiding mechanics (draw, discard, etc.) with Thief of Sanity, and a lot of minion removal or counters.

The goal of the deck is to just grind the opponent's hand so they're in top-decking mode with some speed. Still in the tweaking phase and I still have roughly 6 cards left to craft + a few lands so a good 2-3 weeks until the deck is done.
10/06/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Mand
What I find most confusing is all the people who claim that they don't like uncontrolled RNG determining matches wanting to try out Magic.

Magic is a great game, certainly, but one of its primary weaknesses is getting land screwed. It's far more prevalent than bad draws ever have been in Hearthstone, and yet its fundamental percentage of randomly generated losses gets a pass? I don't get it.

I soo agree with you there, I played mtg for almost 20 years and I started HS because I just dont have the opportunity to play mtg anymore, One thing hearthstone does soooo mich better is indeed resources. I love both games, but being mana locked because of poor land draw, or drawing only land..... worst thing in the world