Is Wizbang the Wonderful really worth it?

Play Mode Discussion
Is Wizbang the Wonderful really worth it? or are the decks too random in giving you a good deck? how many of the decks are good, or good enough to get you past say rank 15.
Based on my own experience, he provides tons of fun in the first days of an expansion. I managed to get to rank 10 with all-golden decks during that time.

Nowadays however, I can't win a single match with him.

I'll try him first thing after Rastakhan hits on live tho.
Whizbang is more of a fun card than a competitive one.
"Worth it" is a very subjective quality. If you were drowning in dust and the only two legendaries you were missing was Wizbang and Clestia, then you're idea of 'worth' will be different than if you are F2P, started last expansion and have just hit your first 1600 dust.

If all that matters to you is end of month rank, then I'd say it would rarely be worth crafting over simple staples like Baku. Odd pally, Odd rogue, even Odd warr if your collection somehow supports it will give you more consistent results than Whizbang.

For me, I got tired of grinding with the same handful of decks and Whizbang has been awesome. The decks range from fair to barely adequate, but if you understand how to play each deck climbing to 15 is doable, but the lack of consistency means that you're not likely to see the win streaks that the latest flavor of aggro would likely give. And the more decks you're not familiar/comfortable with the far harder it'll be to climb with him. If you have a 50% winrate with a normal deck the occasional win streak means you will eventually drift upward and climb the ladder. Higher winrates mean you climb faster. Say you know all the Whizbang decks but the priest ones and have a 51-55% winrate with them. Because you're still getting a deck 1/9th of the time that you don't know how to mulligan or adapt against various archetypes, you'll likely lose every time Wizbang gives you priest, which will average out to an overall 5-6% drop in your winrate, so your 51-55% gentle climb just became a spotty and frustrating 45-50% stall.

Even if you're knowledgeable with all the Whizbang archetypes, playing the same deck all the time also gets you intimately familiar with the ins and outs of that deck, so you're less likely to screw up when a game is close. I don't know how many close games I may have won even with the poorer Whizbang decks had I played that exact deck far more and knew it better.

What Whizbang does is offer a chance to get to know archetypes and decide if something appeals to you, as well as providing something of a challenge mode for those of us who tire of the grind.

Also: Golden coin. If that matters to you, totally worth it.
It's one of the, if not the single, greatest cards ever created. Most value for a single card in the history of the game. Now, please don't be silly. Thinking the card is going to provide 18 top tier tier decks is just foolishness. Can you have fun with decks you get? Definitely, if you understand a bit about all the different mechanics. No matter how you slice it, the opportunity to try 18 different decks immediately after every new expansion launches so you see which cards/mechanics/synergies you like is absolutely priceless, IMHO.

BEST.. CARD.. EVER.
If the card is updated with each new expansion. It could allow you to test out a legendary card that is new and you do not have. This would help you decide to craft it. If a friend has it and is willing to slap a deck together then let you borrow that deck I would recommend that more.

It mainly depends on how good the decks that blizz put together, this will determine overall how good whiz is.
Ummmm.... yeah, it is updated with every new release, correct.
12/01/2018 12:05 PMPosted by NightRaven
Ummmm.... yeah, it is updated with every new release, correct.

They didn't want to update DK Rex... so ummmmm yeah.

I guess some players didn't know that Blizzard wasn't going to update DK Rex's hero power pool of beasts originally. It took the community telling Blizz that this wasn't really acceptable before they did anything. So it would come as no surprised if they tried to do the same with Whiz.
It’s great if you don’t have a lot of cards. The decks can be meh, but it still nice to have cards you wouldn’t normally have for a while.
Whizbang is for fun and for giving players with small collections a chance to try new cards.

He is not there to be competitively viable.
Whizbang is such a good value card for the 1600. He is the ultimate F2P card for someone that wants to play decent decks that have synergy and you could still pull off a win against rank 5 and above. This doesn't mean that you are going to get to rank 5 with it (will never happen), but that he is of wonderful value if you want to play casually.
I decided to test Whiz and went from 20 to 18 undefeated until I ran into a priest taunting thief rez deck. But the spell hunter tracking draws were horrible.

So it is possible that it can push ladder fairly easily.
It’s decent to my suprise, some of the decks are more than capable and have all the tools needed to win games.

All legendaries are included all that’s needed is the skill to recognise what your piloting and you have a good chance of actually winning.

Good way if you want to try out some decks before crafting them, taunt warrior, token druid ect.
Yes. Wizbang can get you to rank 15 if you have enough skill, but probably not much further after that. Some people say legendary cards are worth it when they are used in multiple decks... Whizbang IS multiple decks.

If all you care about is winning and climbing the ranked ladder, why did you even bother to ask? Just go make odd paladin or rogue instead...
12/01/2018 03:13 PMPosted by SquidLips
Yes. Wizbang can get you to rank 15 if you have enough skill, but probably not much further after that.

Getting further than Rank 15 is definitely possible with (almost) any deck, it just takes more time with less efficient decks (including decks that are inefficient because you don't yet understand them). Even Legend is theoretically possible if you have enough time.

Most people just aren't willing to spend the time it would take for them to hit Legend with whatever decks they have built themselves (or netdecked), much less something like Whizbang.
He's about fun and not about being 110% competitive so yeah, he's worth it. Picture him as a all-year Tavern Brawl option.
The real question with wizbang is, will he become a classic card one day ? If that happens, value is pretty insane. If he rotates out like a regular card in a few expansions I'll dust him
12/02/2018 03:02 AMPosted by FruitsPunchS
The real question with wizbang is, will he become a classic card one day ? If that happens, value is pretty insane. If he rotates out like a regular card in a few expansions I'll dust him

If he rotates, he won't rotate until the first expansion of 2020 is released, so you have a few more days to play with him.

Also, he has been requested as an addition to the Classic set several times (starting when he was first revealed), and various devs have acknowledged that they've heard those requests. Whether that means he will be added to Classic before he rotates/when he would rotate is yet to be seen.
12/02/2018 03:02 AMPosted by FruitsPunchS

There have been many, many threads calling for him to be classic, as well as free to new players. I'm all for both of those options.

I imagine he will become a classic card.
12/02/2018 01:58 AMPosted by WingedKagout
Getting further than Rank 15 is definitely possible with (almost) any deck, it just takes more time with less efficient decks (including decks that are inefficient because you don't yet understand them). Even Legend is theoretically possible if you have enough time.

Most people just aren't willing to spend the time it would take for them to hit Legend with whatever decks they have built themselves (or netdecked), much less something like Whizbang.

I meant to imply all of this. Obviously the best players can get to legend with meme decks and really good players can get to legend by grinding any decent deck they want. Average players are going to struggle getting much past rank 15 due to lack of time and skill.

Some of the Whizzbang decks are really good and could get you well past rank 15, but some of the decks are really bad and could lose you games at rank 20. Not only do you have to hope you get one of the good decks, you also have to learn to play 18 decks at once.

So again, the card is really fun but there are better ways to climb the ladder.