Is hearthstone too late for me to play?

Community Discussion
I see theres a lot of decks available and new features since ive last actually played hearthstone.
Am i to far behind?
Is this game fun anymore?

Should i buy any card packs to catch up?
I started around last summer. Bought one large pack of classic, pre purchases of booms ah and rasta and the special multi decks that they give. Was able to hit rank 13 last month. So, yes, if you are willing to wait for results as you do quests to craft what your packs didnt give you. I came from a much greedy game, while people say you need to spend, the overall spend can be contained here as RNG tries to match you with anti decks
01/02/2019 01:36 PMPosted by sCythEroXx
I started around last summer. Bought one large pack of classic, pre purchases of booms ah and rasta and the special multi decks that they give. Was able to hit rank 13 last month. So, yes, if you are willing to wait for results as you do quests to craft what your packs didnt give you. I came from a much greedy game, while people say you need to spend, the overall spend can be contained here as RNG tries to match you with anti decks

Thanks for the reply man appreciate it
I started in January last year, got 10 decks right now and reached Legend a few times (I am F2P). So in my opinion no, it's not late, you can always catch up
the meta is a mess right now, i would play it on the side and do daily quest and weekly tavern brawl till next expansion hits, that way u can build something decent. (also u get a legendary within first 10 packs of each set so grab those and dust the 3 sets that go into wild this april for easy 2kish dust)
01/02/2019 07:43 PMPosted by Melkor
01/02/2019 01:36 PMPosted by sCythEroXx

Thanks for the reply man appreciate it

i hit r13 last week of last month without spending cash, I used the cheap midrange hunter deck thats only 960 dust but problem now is, theres alot of counter decks meant for spell/secret hunters that counter midrange hunter even harder.

also don't buy classic, u get 1 free every week from tavern brawl, which adds up to around 40-48 free classic packs a year and then u get 17x from rewards.
01/01/2019 10:01 PMPosted by Melkor
I see theres a lot of decks available and new features since ive last actually played hearthstone.
Am i to far behind?

If you don't mind spending a small fortune to be even remotely close to relevant go for it.
Never too late to start, just don't expect to collect everything!

IMO, i would take a serious look at MTGA if you are serious about CCG's before getting involved in Hearthstone. However, if you just want something you can enjoy on mobile from time-to-time Hearthstone cannot be beat.
This meta is pretty boring with all the hunters tbh. Some fun decks to play just really annoying playing against hunter every other game since its so OP.
Am i to far behind?

Answers to your questions:
Yes.
And no.
Magic the Gathering is 100% better than this horrible game. Go there instead and spend your money there.
01/04/2019 05:47 PMPosted by CrazyIntent
Am i to far behind?

Yes.
And no.
Magic the Gathering is 100% better than this horrible game. Go there instead and spend your money there.

Only if you're willing to spend $300+ per deck to stay competetively relevant.

Also, their online clients suck hard. They may be "usable" if all you're looking for is 1v1, but for any other type of format (ie. the fun ones) their clients have gotten progressively worse with every iteration.
01/05/2019 08:42 AMPosted by WingedKagout
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yes.
And no.

Also, their online clients suck hard. They may be "usable" if all you're looking for is 1v1, but for any other type of format (ie. the fun ones) their clients have gotten progressively worse with every iteration.

We are not talking about MTGO....aka the older MTG Client haha.

MTGA is the new Magic the Gathering Arena CCG.....launched late 2018 to compete against Hearthstone.

You can play Free to Play just like Hearthstone if you want. No deck requires $300 of investment.....in fact the top decks have very few Mythic cards. The hardest part is building up a competitive land base....

It also has “wild cards” of all rarities that lets you craft any card from any set you want. So no need to dust that legendary like in Hearthstone.

The game modes are vast compared to Hearthstone: BO1, BO3, Draft, Sealed, Events, Ranked Ladder, Tanked Draft etc

It’s a more challenging game only available on PC right now, but it blows Hearthstone out of the water.
this game is not pay to win, it's just pay....
card game up to you
01/05/2019 09:30 PMPosted by AsianDaddy
this game is not pay to win, it's just pay....
card game up to you

I’ve answered to you on the topic below. How do you suppose to play in a TCG with a tons of expansions when you are a new player? You will be forced to play on a one single deck almost a year before you will be able to craft something interesting. Wow. One heavy deck. Will it be enough to you? If your goal is to reach the legend - maybe. But again, this is a TCG game. Diversity is fun.

MTGA is the new Magic the Gathering Arena CCG.....launched late 2018 to compete against Hearthstone.

My points still hold for MTGA. They just don't seem to understand how to design a usable client for anything.

One of the main points people trying to recommend MTGA over HS is that you can play it for free too and that you get a bunch of cards in the beginning. But the first part is answered by "Well yes, otherwise I wouldn't even think about it as a comparison in the first place" and the latter bit is similar to the bonus packs for going from Rank 50 to 25 with a new HS account.

You can play Free to Play just like Hearthstone if you want. No deck requires $300 of investment.....in fact the top decks have very few Mythic cards. The hardest part is building up a competitive land base....

And what does that land base cost if you don't want to slowly grind it out while staying F2P? Have you actually done the math yet?

And if you do decided to stay F2P, how long will it take you to get the resources to get that land base?

It also has “wild cards” of all rarities that lets you craft any card from any set you want. So no need to dust that legendary like in Hearthstone.

Which is not too different from getting a golden card in HS for a F2P player.

Personally, I would have loved to stick with MTGO (instead of selling my collection for about $2k) and not move to HS for my TCG/CCG fix, but WotC just can't figure out how to do an online client that doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. MTGA is no different in that regard.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

My points still hold for MTGA. They just don't seem to understand how to design a usable client for anything.

One of the main points people trying to recommend MTGA over HS is that you can play it for free too and that you get a bunch of cards in the beginning. But the first part is answered by "Well yes, otherwise I wouldn't even think about it as a comparison in the first place" and the latter bit is similar to the bonus packs for going from Rank 50 to 25 with a new HS account.

And what does that land base cost if you don't want to slowly grind it out while staying F2P? Have you actually done the math yet?

And if you do decided to stay F2P, how long will it take you to get the resources to get that land base?

Which is not too different from getting a golden card in HS for a F2P player.

Personally, I would have loved to stick with MTGO (instead of selling my collection for about $2k) and not move to HS for my TCG/CCG fix, but WotC just can't figure out how to do an online client that doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. MTGA is no different in that regard.

I had enough Rare Wild Cards to craft my first competitive land base after playing the game for two weeks. I also then purchased the $5 starter option and within another week had enough for a second land base.......although I am now waiting for the next set to launch before using anymore Wild Cards.

MTGA is just a better game at this point IMO. But, its like any FTP game....if you want to spend nothing expect to spend a great deal of time grinding.

There are not that many major issues with the game client from what I am seeing? There are some teething problems when you have lots of tokens and its lacking a few options but that is about it really.....it plays really well on my PC and its only a few months since its official launch....which isn't bad for a modern game.

Where its indisputable IMO is the Game Modes on offer. MTGA game modes blow Hearthstone out of the water.