Armor Pen

Play Mode Discussion
Give certain creatures the ability to ignore armor and attack the opponent's health directly.
Won't happen.

At least not right after they introduced the paladin legendary that drops you to 1 while converting health to armor.
12/10/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Shroud
Won't happen.

At least not right after they introduced the paladin legendary that drops you to 1 while converting health to armor.

Exactly. If they ever print an armor-counter now, they basically have to consider the new paladin-legendary hyper-nerfed and need to refund the dust.
12/10/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Shroud
Won't happen.

To be frank, the paladin legendary shouldn't exist in that form in the first place. It shouldn't send you straight to 1, that's a little bit ridiculous. Maybe it could replace up to 20 health with armor, something like that?

It's sad that this basically confirms they were never interested and will never be interested in making cards that bypass armor. I guess armor is just destined forever to be strictly better health.
I would suggest a softer approach to countering armor. Players should have options, not a one card answer. That will make players think about including the counter cards in their deck at the expense of other options.

Keyword : Armorbreaker
Deals double damage to Armor.

Put it on under-statted minions and weapons. Like a 4 mana 3/3.

Example :

Hero Slayer
7 mana 5/5

Armorbreaker
Battlecry : Deal 5 damage to the enemy hero

In this instance, Armorbreaker also affects the Battlecry dealing 10 damage to armor. If the enemy has 7 armor, we can round down to deal 7 armor damage and 1 to life.
I would be a fan of a creature that inflicts double its damage to armor but normal damage to the player the player's health.
12/11/2018 02:24 AMPosted by SverdSanity
I would be a fan of a creature that inflicts double its damage to armor but normal damage to the player the player's health.
This.

I don't think armor penetration is needed as we shouldn't entirely negate whatever a player has done to get said armor, but having bonus damage toward it doesn't seem unreasonable given how much armor gain we've been seeing this year.

A minion that does double to armor, or even something with 1 Atk but +3 dmg to armor. Maybe even something with the passive effect of increasing ALL damage you to to armor, etc.
Minions or weapons would work. They should add a neutral weapon that does bonus damage to armor. Similar in name to molten blade. Like molten hammer or molten claws.
12/11/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Lyrist
To be frank, the paladin legendary shouldn't exist in that form in the first place. It shouldn't send you straight to 1, that's a little bit ridiculous. Maybe it could replace up to 20 health with armor, something like that?

Why do you think so, given that Thekal's battlecry effectively does nothing by itself?
Minion
Armored Giant
20 mana, 8/8

costs 2 less for each armor your opponent gained this game.

Living Giant
20 mana, 8/8

costs 2 less for each life your opponent gained this game,
12/11/2018 08:21 AMPosted by sups
Minion
Armored Giant
20 mana, 8/8

costs 2 less for each armor your opponent gained this game.

Living Giant
20 mana, 8/8

costs 2 less for each life your opponent gained this game,
Salt Giant
20 mana, 8/8

Costs 2 less for each time your opponent has won a game in a manner that you disapprove of this week.
12/11/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Rozenkranc
12/11/2018 01:24 AMPosted by Lyrist

Why do you think so, given that Thekal's battlecry effectively does nothing by itself?

Because it's silly that you can immediately go from 30 to 1 health, without ever being touched by the opponent, without any danger or risk whatsoever, and suddenly 100% enable every low health card in the game like molten giant just for playing one 4 mana card. It's just a cartoonish extreme. I think it would serve the same function but still be more reasonable if it just replaced a lot of health while not going to completely the maximum amount of health every time. It would be possible to make it so molten giant still costs SOMETHING while any other cards with similar effects that they print can be more easily balanced around it too, and then players might have to think "well, I could play this now and get a bunch of armor but then it'll be infinity years before I can ever get my health any lower to enable this thing." And heal paladin doesn't even need molten giant anyway because they have 4 mana 8/8 taunt and stuff.

I know people are just going to go "but heal paladin isn't even good" but that's really not the point.