How do you counter Secret Hunter?

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
12/22/2018 10:24 AMPosted by Gishgeron
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Translation: never attack a hunter because he’s just going to completely on your face unless he hits turned five in which case he places emerald spell stone down… And then he owns your face.

My even pally has no problem attacking the hunter.

Or dealing with the spellstone.

You just, you know, dont recklessly send your best minion into a freezing. Or play weak minions onto the board before triggering explosive.

Simple stuff.
Again you’re talking about best minion as if you have a board full of the minions. Something the paladins can do. The rogues don’t do it that way. Unless they’re playing a lot of small minions/pirates in which case they’re going to get decimated by other type secrets. In the end of the day it’s very very difficult to put any pressure on a hunter as rogue. And once that’s emerald stone comes out on turn five. It’s game over. Usually.

My even pally has no problem attacking the hunter.

Or dealing with the spellstone.

You just, you know, dont recklessly send your best minion into a freezing. Or play weak minions onto the board before triggering explosive.

Simple stuff.
Again you’re talking about best minion as if you have a board full of the minions. Something the paladins can do. The rogues don’t do it that way. Unless they’re playing a lot of small minions/pirates in which case they’re going to get decimated by other type secrets. In the end of the day it’s very very difficult to put any pressure on a hunter as rogue. And once that’s emerald stone comes out on turn five. It’s game over. Usually.

What rogue are you using? I am playing a bunch of different off meta stuff in rogue, so I dont want to offer useless advice based on my play. There may be something you can do, even if that means changing a couple cards out.

Realistically, we want to help you secure the early game. You have the least answers for spellstone (unless you go for spell damage, theres stuff you can do there).

I'll do my best to help, I am fully aware rogue has a bad go of it. Mine do too.
12/22/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Nightmare

Some classes have unfavorable matchups. Rogue is already unfavored vs Spell/Secret Hunter. You're not going to find a favorable outcome vs a perfect opener.

My solution isn't a catch-all for every deck. It's just something that works if you can afford to delay. If you're playing Aggro, then you pray and go face.

Noob. Save the coin for a turn 4 spellstone noob *facepalm*

Why would you save the coin for spellstone when you can perfectly curve out and achieve a much higher play....

This forum is like talking to rank 25 the community.

It's always the same people with horrible advice, who somehow manage to get 40 upvotes yet are clearly low ranked.

Doing the exact opposite of what people advice to do on this forum is usually the best bet for newcomers.

They should really put the rank next to the players their name on this forum.
12/22/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Reinhardt

Get legend every season, kid.

If you attack Rexxar's face with a weak minion when he has 2 secrets up (something you imply by saying "he has a 3 drop and 3 snakes on board on turn 2"), I seriously doubt you're legend - or it's another proof of "anyone can get there provided he plays enough games with a top tier deck".

Making that play is wrong on so many levels I don't expect anyone above rank 15 to go for it.
12/22/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Daikaze
12/22/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Nightmare

Some classes have unfavorable matchups. Rogue is already unfavored vs Spell/Secret Hunter. You're not going to find a favorable outcome vs a perfect opener.

My solution isn't a catch-all for every deck. It's just something that works if you can afford to delay. If you're playing Aggro, then you pray and go face.

Hunter is more than half the meta....
12/22/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Reinhardt
T1 - Coin + wandering monster
T2 - Snake trap
T3 - Animal companion
T4 - Flanking Strike
T5 - Emerald Spellstone

They have a 3 drop by turn 2, along with 3 1/1/1s. Then can get a 4/4 taunt, 4/2 charger, and or 2/4 give all your 1/1s the ability to trade into anything. Into Frostbolt summon a 3/3, into 5 mana 12/12

I'm not even mentioning rexxar, zuljin, rhokdelar, or any of the other over value cards in the deck...

Sometimes you just can't. I think most matches are going to be boring.

I started out with no 1 drop same after Mulligan. The started out with Secret Keeper. I tracked so I could pull card to destroy it after is turn 2 buff. I couldn't do it sooner. Turn 3 for me - well you know turn 4 for them is flanking strike so putting out a 2/2 is pointless.

Turn 4 they coin and 4 3/3 Wolves.
https://imgur.com/a/fT90TSt

And that's all there is to it. GG
12/22/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Clockwise

If you attack Rexxar's face with a weak minion when he has 2 secrets up (something you imply by saying "he has a 3 drop and 3 snakes on board on turn 2"), I seriously doubt you're legend - or it's another proof of "anyone can get there provided he plays enough games with a top tier deck".

Making that play is wrong on so many levels I don't expect anyone above rank 15 to go for it.

Ah yes, do nothing all game, that will win you the game.

So what, wait till turn 4 or 5 to play a non weak minion and then die to everythign else? LOL, you must be a fool.
12/22/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Nightmare
Hunter is more than half the meta....

Yep, not an ideal time for Rogue. At the very least, Rogue is favored vs Deathrattle Hunter and Odd Rogue is still maintaining a win-rate above 50% on average.
Don't hit face, don't hit minion.

Add Chief Inspector to your decks.

Have some AoE.
12/22/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Reinhardt

So what, wait till turn 4 or 5 to play a non weak minion and then die to everythign else? LOL, you must be a fool.

I know you're having a thing with that poster at the moment, but a serious answer to that question really depends on what you're using.

I've talked a lot about even pally, but it's a good example to use since it has clear solutions. For it, you do use a weak minion (their tokens) to trigger traps. You order the triggers so as not to waste resources, and develop the board each turn.

How best to trigger traps changes between decks. Where even pally uses tokens to fire up freezing and divine shield to fire up explosive....odd rogue wants to try and use something like firefly to trigger freezing and its weapon to line up others.

The big problem isnt traps, really. You have to answer spellstone. If your deck can, you can easily steal a win out from under them. Pally does it a number of ways, not the least of which is through pure stats on field. Rogue....probably has to save coin for vanish (if available as an option) or absolutely dominate the early game so they can clear stone in trades.

It's a very unpleasant method. And hard to then pull lethal before Zuljin can land if you do. It's worth considering a card like blade flurry to do something.
odd warrior destroys secret hunter.
12/22/2018 01:37 PMPosted by xsi
odd warrior destroys secret hunter.

That....really depends on how fast they can get a DK online. In that exact matchup you would hard mulligan for him (but keep tracking, as it's like having another mulligan).

It's not unwinnable. You still can. But man does he make the field a lot more level.

Edit: I think most have ditched tracking because of Zuljin...but you never know.
The best advice, really (and I 100% mean this), is to use that wonderful god-given brain inside your skull.

BUT I WANT DEEZ EEZ WINS.
12/22/2018 12:32 PMPosted by AnimeFood
Don't hit face, don't hit minion.

Add Chief Inspector to your decks.

Have some AoE.

i i try to build a board but dont attack if they have a secret
then inspector and start attacking
I have to ask as well about these Secret hunters, and how to deal with them because the turns are exactly this.

T1 - Candleshot / Secret Plan
T2 - Wandering Monster
T3 - Animal companion or Freezing Trap
T4 - Flanking Strike or Coin +Spellstone.
T5 - Emerald Spellstone

How on earth can you deal with this and if you ignore the secrets they develop even more of a board with To My Side and the Spellstone on turn 4 / 5 anyway, So all i can pray is that I have my AOE and board clear by turn 5 (In my case Equality and Pyro as there is nothing that is cheaper than that for a paladin to clear a full board)..

We need more early neutral secret counters, 1 minion which destroys all secrets when a Hunter has approximately 10 secrets at their disposal is ridiculous.

A minion which destroys all secrets in both decks would work (After all I would have the same chance of drawing 1 of these as the hunter would drawing a spellstone before turn 4/5).

Does the Chief Inspector destroy all secrets in Decks or only secrets which are active?
12/22/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Gishgeron
"How do I play around secrets?!"

By not doing the stuff that triggers them unless doing so undermines the effect?

Good lord this forum....

You all realize that secrets haven't changed in ages, yeah? And spellstone was around for 3 expansions now?

My, how ever did all these players manage for an entire year against the unstoppable might of secrets?

Probably by being better at the game than we appear to be now.

Secrets haven’t changed but the supporting cards and the lack of a good counter HAS changed. Wandering monster always seems to pull a nice minion that your guy doesnt kill but always dies to. Then, flanking strike is coming. Then more secrets like freezing trap, explosive trap, the one that spawns a 2/3 poisonous guy or whatever else. You can not attack but huntards have their own guys and spells that WILL attack your face while you sit there thinking you’re being slick. Yeah, right. Just sit there for 5 turns and do nothing. Great strategy.

Ya got two Spellstones to clean up too. If you are not playing priest or don’t have your duskbreakers in hand....hmmm.... now what? You lose, that’s what.

We need a real secret counter. One that doesn’t cost 5 mana and one that gets rid of some secrets in hand or in deck. Period.
12/22/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Geoxyx
12/22/2018 08:48 AMPosted by housemusic

Why would you save the coin for spellstone when you can perfectly curve out and achieve a much higher play....

Depends entirely on the opponent on which is the correct play. Odd Paladin needs a different approach than a Priest or an Odd Warrior let alone an Odd aggro Mage.
12/22/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Reinhardt
12/22/2018 08:46 AMPosted by EBSnike
Why'd you ever coin a secret if you got spellstone in the opening hand.

to upgrade the spellstone

*facepalm*

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Thanks for advertising you don't know how to play the game

12/22/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Geoxyx

Yikes, can you imagine being so wrong and so confident?

Turn one coin secret with spellstone and another secret in hand is apparently a good play now, because you have companion and flanking strike...