How do you counter Secret Hunter?

Play Mode Discussion
12/22/2018 12:32 PMPosted by AnimeFood
Don't hit face, don't hit minion.

Add Chief Inspector to your decks.

Have some AoE.

Yeah - thats the standard garbage advice. Dont attack, dont play cards, dont do anything. Just sit there and watch a good movie. meanwhile, the huntards will just sit there and do nothing too! Oh....wait..... they'll actually be smorcing you!

Guess sitting doing nothing all game doesnt work. Thanks though for the terrific advice.
01/07/2019 01:19 AMPosted by Drib
I have to ask as well about these Secret hunters, and how to deal with them because the turns are exactly this.

T1 - Candleshot / Secret Plan
T2 - Wandering Monster
T3 - Animal companion or Freezing Trap
T4 - Flanking Strike or Coin +Spellstone.
T5 - Emerald Spellstone

How on earth can you deal with this and if you ignore the secrets they develop even more of a board with To My Side and the Spellstone on turn 4 / 5 anyway, So all i can pray is that I have my AOE and board clear by turn 5 (In my case Equality and Pyro as there is nothing that is cheaper than that for a paladin to clear a full board)..

We need more early neutral secret counters, 1 minion which destroys all secrets when a Hunter has approximately 10 secrets at their disposal is ridiculous.

A minion which destroys all secrets in both decks would work (After all I would have the same chance of drawing 1 of these as the hunter would drawing a spellstone before turn 4/5).

Does the Chief Inspector destroy all secrets in Decks or only secrets which are active?

What deck/archetype do you play? Different decks/archetypes require different play-styles to counter the Hunter. Big Spell Mage doesn't play the same as Zoo-lock. Token Druid doesn't play the same as Deathrattle Hunter. If we don't know what deck you are using, the advise may not matter.

The following is general advise. It may not work depending on your deck. Regardless, the best option is to NOT attack.

If your deck is control, don't do anything. don't put minions on the board for them to flanking or Baited Arrow. When they play their spellstone, play your board clear. Your deck is about the late game. Just keep them from killing you and play your deck.

If your deck is board centric, build up your board. Turn 1, 2, and 3, play a minion, but do NOT attack into their secrets. Turn 4, you can choose to
A) trigger those secrets, remove their board, and play your turn 4.
B) Play your turn 4, don't attack and wait for the spellstone. When they play their 4 wolves, you should have 4+ minions on the board ready to trade.

What you need to remember is that if they play secrets, they are not removing your minions (unless you attack into their secrets) if they remove your minions, they are not playing secrets. Build up your board for a big attack turn. If you have Chief Inspector in your hand, play it on that turn. Not the turn before, not the turn after, not as the only minion on the board. Play it when you are going for that push.

Again, these general tips may not work based on your deck. If you think these tips are horrible, please state what deck(s)/archetype(s) you play. I personally can't advise on Odd Mage or Rogue. I don't know how to play Odd Mage and therefore have no advise to give. Rogue has a bad match-up against the Hunter. The best advise may still not be enough to help.
You think the problem is Secret Hunter? What about OTK Paladin, infinite armor Odd Warrior, endless board wipes (and infinite sustain once Jaina is up) Mage or even Cubelock who spam Voidlords like there's no freakin tomorrow
All this genius ‘advice’, build up your board for 4 turns then trade into his turn 5 spellstone. So you spent 4 turns to counter his 1 turn 12/12, great job!

Now you have fukall and he still has DK, zuljin and a bunch of summon spells to go.
01/07/2019 06:20 AMPosted by EvilEye
You think the problem is Secret Hunter? What about OTK Paladin, infinite armor Odd Warrior, endless board wipes (and infinite sustain once Jaina is up) Mage or even Cubelock who spam Voidlords like there's no freakin tomorrow

Gotta agree here - hence, the meta kind of blows right now and has for a while. Bring back curvestone please..... LOL! At least with that I dont have to deal with this horrific crap every damned game.

01/07/2019 06:50 AMPosted by McDowell
All this genius ‘advice’, build up your board for 4 turns then trade into his turn 5 spellstone. So you spent 4 turns to counter his 1 turn 12/12, great job!

Now you have fukall and he still has DK, zuljin and a bunch of summon spells to go.

Right? The "advice" here is extremely iffy at best. It might work here and there if the huntard draws bad or does something stupid but its hard to screw up secret huntard right now. You just play the usual cards and secrets which are really hard to deal with. Then, the mid-game stufff comes out which includes Rexxar. Great - unlimted lifesteal beasts with charge and/or poisonous.

Then Zuljin which RECASTS all of the secrets so you have a Christmas tree to deal with again - even if you drew and played Chief Inspector you now have another load of secrets to deal with. Effing wonderful. How can anyone find this NOT oppressive and stupid?
01/07/2019 06:50 AMPosted by McDowell

so you choose to not counterplay and lose instead ....
ok it is your choice
12/22/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Reinhardt
T1 - Coin + wandering monster
T2 - Snake trap
T3 - Animal companion
T4 - Flanking Strike
T5 - Emerald Spellstone

They have a 3 drop by turn 2, along with 3 1/1/1s. Then can get a 4/4 taunt, 4/2 charger, and or 2/4 give all your 1/1s the ability to trade into anything. Into Frostbolt summon a 3/3, into 5 mana 12/12

I'm not even mentioning rexxar, zuljin, rhokdelar, or any of the other over value cards in the deck...

Yeah, but that entire list of cards can be ended by almost any 2 minions and a hellfire.

Or a minion or two before a mass hysteria or duskbreaker.

There are certainly decks that struggle with that line of hunter play, but most decks have a possible plan of attack for it.

I take issue with some of hunter's power level, but that's mostly DK Rexxar at work.

Their early game is nothing unbeatable.
Secret Hunter is weak to control decks with a strong win condition. Best examples are Odd Quest Warrior, Cloning Gallery Priest and OTK Paladin.
01/07/2019 09:14 AMPosted by IAMGROOT127
Secret Hunter is weak to control decks with a strong win condition. Best examples are Odd Quest Warrior, Cloning Gallery Priest and OTK Paladin.

Rexxar 8 mana fatties lifesteal poison charge infinite.
You play a passive deck that doesn't need to "attack" to win . THerefore , you don't trigger the trap and voila Secret Hunter is useless :)
Warlock has been my best counter to Secret Hunter, also being patient with the Secrets and working through it and saving hellfire for the wolves. Cubelock/Evenlock variations have both been working for me. The method to winning is roughly the same between both decks.

I will say though that Zuljan can sometimes put them over the top because a deck can only have so much removal and Zuljan can really put the game out of reach. However Warlock can apply enough pressure and has enough heal/draw combinations to put Hunter is a very precarious position.
If you play wild I recommend packing a couple "eater of secrets" with all the Hunters, Pally's and Mages playing their secret decks. Would be nice if there were more than 4 options for countering secrets in the future. Once secrets can be easily countered than the popularity of playing secret spell decks will diminish and a new oppressive playstyle will take it's place.
01/07/2019 11:23 AMPosted by Tman15tmb
If you play wild I recommend packing a couple "eater of secrets" with all the Hunters, Pally's and Mages playing their secret decks. Would be nice if there were more than 4 options for countering secrets in the future. Once secrets can be easily countered than the popularity of playing secret spell decks will diminish and a new oppressive playstyle will take it's place.

Why eater of secrets? why not the other one that takes control of the secrets?

Why is this downvoted?

Since Rastakhan I won over 200 Games with a Hakkar Cloning Gallery Quest Priest and there was not a single Game I lost to a Secret/Spell Hunter.
01/07/2019 11:28 AMPosted by Pißwasser

Why is this downvoted?

Since Rastakhan I won over 200 Games with a Hakkar Cloning Gallery Quest Priest and there was not a single Game I lost to a Secret/Spell Hunter.

That's because some of these people don't want to hear "Don't attack until you're ready". They want to just attack and go face and suffer the consequences without thinking about the results of the actions.
01/07/2019 11:24 AMPosted by SlimReaper
01/07/2019 11:23 AMPosted by Tman15tmb

Why eater of secrets? why not the other one that takes control of the secrets?
Not sure what that card even is lol. I get on the forums to listen to people whine more than i play the game myself. :P
The Card is called Keyzan Mystic. But this Card takes Control of only one Secret while Eater of Secrets is destroying all enemy Secrets and gets a Buff. So I would recommend EoS.
Just concede? Or run all anti-secret tech and lose to all the other classes? I dunno, those seem to be about the options...maybe out control them? I mean, good luck against Rexxar as control...well damn. Yeah I dunno
With the decks I play... I just never attack the hunter and laugh at his useless secrets.
12/22/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Reinhardt
T1 - Coin + wandering monster
T2 - Snake trap
T3 - Animal companion
T4 - Flanking Strike
T5 - Emerald Spellstone

They have a 3 drop by turn 2, along with 3 1/1/1s. Then can get a 4/4 taunt, 4/2 charger, and or 2/4 give all your 1/1s the ability to trade into anything. Into Frostbolt summon a 3/3, into 5 mana 12/12

I'm not even mentioning rexxar, zuljin, rhokdelar, or any of the other over value cards in the deck...

Turn 1 - pass
Turn 2 - pass
Turn 3 - pass
Turn 4 - pass (nothing for his flanking strike and he can’t coin spell stone cause he was a noob and burned his coin pointlessly)
Turn 5 - duskbreaker

That’s just one way of doing it. Once you command the board then you start popping their secrets. Their smorc ability is limited due to the fact that their deck is so secret/spell heavy as long as you can deal with their spellstomes.

If you play a deck that doesn’t have the ability to deal with spellstones and you ignore the very good advice that several people in this thread have posted about how to deal with this deck, then you’re the problem not hunters.