No more new people

Play Mode Discussion
I've played HS from the start, so I have a decent card pool for f2p. But when I recommend this game to friends, they give it a try, and they tell me they can't win. and dont have the cards they want. dont have $$ etc etc.

Is there too many cards for new players to catch up?
Do new people even play HS?
They're extraordinary rare to find. I was in disbelief to have found one in casual wild very late at night, couple of days ago.

Proof can also be found by a fellow forum member spectating me named Teo. Who pointed out to me, it was with him playing cards like Sen'jin Shieldmasta, Chillwind Yeti, goofy cards like Temple Enforcer, Lightspawn etc.

My guess is the poor guy was trying to get a win with Priest but was having a bad time. So he snuck over into casual wild. But, since it's player pool is so small an the late night nature we were playing at he matched into us lol. I tried to add him but he didn't accept the friend request.
Your friends just don't have any patient. There is absolutely no difference, competitive wise, between starting the game now and 4 years ago. All you need is 1 tier-1 deck (around 6000 dust), which should take the same time to grind for today's new players compared with when you started the game years ago, OP.

The difference only shows if you compare collections between two players (which is not what people complaining here).
If you are asking about true F2P catch up, the only way is to play and wait for the next 1 or 2 rotations to happen. So, depending when you started it is about 1 - 2 years of playing and waiting to be on equal footing with other F2P players.

If you are asking about new players being able to get competitive decks, this is different story. NEW New Player experience + all early achievements and tricks let a new player build a competitive deck as quickly as day one (but that would require them to play 1 day non-stop and disenchant everything else).

To be more realistic, a new player can build a competitive deck after 1-month of playing. That's not bad.
New people play I think. I say think because most names face on a re-roll account are like

bb34thyl
jk76uptx

Their plays are much slower than more experienced players because they don't know how the game works yet or what choices are the best.

Depending how long its been - you might recall that starting out position. They give you Mage. You play through the tutorial. Play against the AI. Reach level 10. Get all the basic cards bonus. Now they ask you to win 3 in PvP. And you eventually do based on cards. If youre trying the mage or earning cards in the other classes yet. but SOON.

Soon enough suddenly its
Odd Warrior
Spectral Cutlass Rogue - oh the vilespines they see and don't know why.
Turn 3 the Tarcreepers and Stonehill Defenders (oh I het that off of stonehills?!) To put firefly, diremole, righteous protectors in for turn 1 defense.

The Lich Kings, The Dk Rexxars, They Tempo Mage that cleans them in 7 with ease. The endless buffing of paladins (Zilliax, Spikesteeds (not in single use but back to back like Fungalmancers), The Leroy Jenkins!, The Lich Queen Jaina!, The Dk Gul'dans!...The automatic wins by tossing out the same 6 cards every game! Oh the Humanity! Its like being the Hindenberg for new players who don't know anything about the game.

and all you want is to do the daily quests and get some precious gold for some even more precious dust! Nope. The whippings are fast and brutal. That rare even matchup. Takes all day to a pack and some precious dust. Why would you do this to yourself?

And the pummeling begins. Still not understanding how the RNG works and what is going on?! They come to the boards asking if there is a hack? or What am I doing wrong?! They also probably don't know to seek out the legend out of each set in Standard pithing 10 packs. They might get the GOD card of the game - or maybe too bad so sad - you got Tinkmastersparks or the equivalent. They don't know they can't pick what class "appeals" to them. They need to discover Winrates, the most cards and deck. Yep like above mentioned - deck. They need one deck they can play repeatedly - tediously - boringly, but the one Hunter deck (current meta) - they can use to farm.

So on my reroll account I got Whizbang. Oh hey look! Any of my level 1 to whatever Class can play the "best decks in the game". Once I reach level 25. And you have a "chance".
12/30/2018 10:46 AMPosted by Reid666
If you are asking about true F2P catch up, the only way is to play and wait for the next 1 or 2 rotations to happen. So, depending when you started it is about 1 - 2 years of playing and waiting to be on equal footing with other F2P players.

If you are asking about new players being able to get competitive decks, this is different story. NEW New Player experience + all early achievements and tricks let a new player build a competitive deck as quickly as day one (but that would require them to play 1 day non-stop and disenchant everything else).

To be more realistic, a new player can build a competitive deck after 1-month of playing. That's not bad.

grinding for 1 -2 years for the cards to cycle is not fun for new players.
It is what it is,
but its crap for new players. The game will die out without new players.

I want to challenge you on your 1 month realistic competitive deck. make a guide and Ill give it to my friends. lol (if this were true, there would be more guides to do this out there)
12/30/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Basterd

grinding for 1 -2 years for the cards to cycle is not fun for new players.
It is what it is,
but its crap for new players. The game will die out without new players.

I want to challenge you on your 1 month realistic competitive deck. make a guide and Ill give it to my friends. lol (if this were true, there would be more guides to do this out there)

You could modify Zoolock fairly easily to be budget friendly and hit rank 15 or so. I'd probably say with realistic play time expectations it'd be 2 months. I think you could do the same for Secret Hunter but not as positive on that.

The new player flow is going to be a t icjlw right now much like MtG. We can't really expect a second growth wave
https://imgur.com/a/cKYSVKl

Even as a semi vet the games feels....

Well Stupid.

So Odd Hunter
1 Plays 2/1 Stealth Worgen
Well I am Odd Rouge Face vs Face no board sweeps
2 Hunter power for 3 stayed stealth Worgen
3 Acherus Veteran on Worgen (common top deck card) Shoot me for 3
4 Play Wolfrider 3/1 charge shoot me for 2 arcane
5 shoot me for 3 and I forget because getting that bad feeling of RNG perfection again
6 Play unleashed the hounds, Arcane shot, shoot me for 3

And yeah I did try to take the board. Unleash the Hounds by one extra minion.

Its just so....yeah....
12/30/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Basterd

That's what I did and it worked, and was even before NEW New Player Experience.
For a month I played different modes, single player, arena and friendly challenges.
When Boomsday released I disenchanted 1 Legendary and some Epics and crafted Whizzbang, got the feel of different decks and decided to craft Zoolock. Got guides on the net how to get extra Dust/Gold/Legendaries and crafted Prince Keleseth and rest of the deck. All of that a month after I started.

You can find many tips over the net, but most important ones are:

1. For each expansion you are guaranteed to get Legendary somewhere in your first 10 packs. So spend your gold on packs from expansion from which you haven't got yet your Guaranteed legendary. This way you can get 7 legendaries quickly = 2800 Dust (!Do not buy classic packs, you will get them anyway!)

2. Play Prologue to Knights of the Frozen Throne single player content. Another guranted Legendary = 400 Dust

3. If you are creating new account, let yourself to be recruited by other player + 1 Classic Pack

4. You can get up to 7 Classic packs by loging and playing game on diferent devices. You might use NOX Android emulator to easily get 5 of them (Emulate Samsung phone, then any ANdroid tablet), iphone to get 1 and ipad to get another.

5. Don't miss any events or online promotions, check website for those.

6. Defeat every opponent expert AI in single player practice mode +100 gold

7. Collect all cards in basic set (in other word get to level 10 with every hero) +100 gold

8. You will also get 300 gold for your 100 win.

9. Don't forget about free pack from Tavern Brawl every week

10. First Arena run is free, so + 1 Pack

All in all, assuming you complete all of your daily quests you should get around 70 packs during your first month of playing. Each packs is woth at least 40 Dust (around 100 on average), this gives another 2800 Dust, combined with Dust from guaranted Legendaries that is 5600 Dust. Enought to craft a less expensive Top Tier deck. And that's worst case scenario, because you will get some cards which are usefull, and on average you should get much more Dust than that.
If you're going to come in as a F2P player you should be expecting to play with a handicap. The best time to introduce friends is when the rotation happens. If Blizzard comes out with a "Year of the Raven" bundle then that would be a prime time to bring friends in.

New players still have 25 ranks to go through to catch up to existing players. That should offer some opportunity to play without getting stomped.

I will say, I do think that Whizbang should be given to new players and made standard.
honestly it not a surprise people try defending players of old or new , the fact is like in Magic ,you'll go to Magic and get Free card for their open house generally ,the newer players will always feel behind unless they invest money to play catch up. Now unlike most card games in RL. Hearthstone let you start free whenever, and you do get free cards and can't get any card really till rank 25 I believe, I was planning on new years, to make a new account and try this new player thing nad see how easy it is and what are it real limits.

But your Friend or any New player can "play" om some what even footing at 1st, then getting to rank, it'll get more and more harder for someone just get into the card game, but most games do require you to hone some skill before Rank. But this lets you do it right away. So then the question becomes, how does it fairly match up players at the "start" to someone who been playing the game for god knows how long.

For hearthstone case to get into a cycle of the game it ideal, so a start of a year, so a Good time for players to join "this year" would of been at Witchwood. Since those cards will stay in rotation of 2 years basically. given them plenty of time to build upon that while the last set rotates out, So most "catchup" is a year lapse basically.

But if they are good enough player investing gold into Arena would reward a skillful player with lack of cards. As you basically earn your gold back + card packs throughout the year, meaning you can catch up sometimes 5x quicker then the casual player who does quest and log out.

As Mention Whizbang is by far the best card for new players to get. And as right now there is 2 very strong Whizbang decks, being secret Hutner/Discard warlock, they are the best high role, and the fact you can tag that on a Hero you want to level up, you'll get exp still for classes on that to unlock those cards quicker
There is still new people joining,but i doubt any of them is f2p.
Its not worth the effort,grinding for 1 month to get 1 deck and disenchant everything else. By that time a new expansion is about to hit and your 1 single deck might be useless to the point you have to start over again.
100 for every expansion and the basic set is 500 by now. You might get away with 50 for the older expansions as they have better deals on them. 300-400 and then you are still on a budget having to make choices.

Arena is best option for f2p
You can play lots of arena runs if you are somewhat decent and do a quest now and then. Arena can still be played for free by many players if they just do a few runs now and then.
You could play arena casual for 1 year (3 runs a week) and then get into constructed,that could be done without spending and arena itself is very fun,its not a grind. At least not to me.
I really do wish Whizbang was given as an easy to achieve reward for new players.
The many downvotes every post that complains about dust get is proove that most f2p players have left.
12/30/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Rassy
Its not worth the effort,grinding for 1 month to get 1 deck and disenchant everything else.

Who mentioned the grind?

Play for fun, if playing is not fun to you then maybe it is good to move on.

And as I do with anyone who uses that word here, I have to ask if you actually enjoy the game?
I started playing this game last month. I don't think it's that bad. At least until ranked level 20 I had a lot of fun matches against equally random decks, and there never was more than a few seconds of waiting.

Only at the rank 20 I started to see very optimized (and similar) decks and was a bit disheartened. Recently, I did copy some decks from the web: zoo warlock and midrange hunter as they don't seem to rely on any specific legendaries etc. I crafted some cards (mostly commons and few rares), replaced other cards with something similar, and just reached rank 15.

However, it does seem that there are not too many competitive options for rank < 20, and many ideas seem to require some specific expensive cards (like the odd/even legendaries).

Anyway, I much more prefer Arena as I mostly like the deckbuilding aspects of this game. I have spent around $20-$30 for entrance fees so not quite f2p (arena rewards did help the card situation a bit). I very much recommend that for new players.
I have only made 1 alt for myself ever. I didn't do it after the rank 50 change but I did do it within the last year. Before saying what I found, I will say that I've been able to help my own friends get started playing and that I do spectate new/bad players (also at least 1 above average player from these forums) from time to time. If you or they would like a hand up let me know.

Here is what I saw when I did my "new player" run. 1st: The handouts to new players are much greater now than in the past, so getting started is easier than ever. I make that observation based upon intentionally skipping some of the rewards I could have had by starting after the new year rotations. Again, this was before the rank 50 change so now is easier than then.

2nd: I had an extremely easy time winning with terrible decks all the way up to rank 19. I intentionally didn't change the starting decks for quite some time (class level 20 if I'm remembering correctly, I'm not looking it up right now), then my first change was with only basic cards. I did most of the rest of my play time I'm counting as "new player" modifying the decks only once with the cards I had available when all the classes were level 20. I held over a 60% throughout and the decks I finished with were not that strong (we are talking spellstone warrior here, literally not crafting anything just playing what I pulled).

Those early ranks are completely filled with terrible players piloting terrible decks. When I wrote down what I played against in ranked I labelled almost every deck as "Beginner (class)" for lack of another term for them. Yes I saw decks containing Baku, Genn, Lich King, etc. No, that doesn't indicate a completely solid deck. They were just players playing what they pulled or having an early craft of a card they read or recognized as good. Yes, I did rarely see an experienced player passing through as well. I also caught 3 other veteran players doing what I was doing and playing a fresh account ("caught" as in, I later saw the match on youtube). However, the overwhelming majority of players at low rank actually are either new or bad.

Somewhat related, after the recent fires I didn't actually play any ranked for a couple of months and my standard rank is now back to 20. Reviewing my replays I can tell you that I am facing cheap but decent decks at 20 (which is a 30 rank climb for a new player, plenty of time to have such a deck), that are played suboptimally.

This is a really longwinded way of supporting the idea that: Yes, there are new players. There are enough resources for new players that it can be hard to spot new players unless you have enough experience to track the bad plays. So to new players, everyone looks like a pro, even the other new players.
I first started playing the game as a way to get a mount for wow in 2014 and never touched it until October of 2017. I am an F2P player. During my early moments, I relied on inner fire with Stormwind Knight for some OTK. it worked perfectly for me to get to rank 17. That was my highest achieved rank until the rotation happened during April of 2018.

This game is like an investment, you have to put in the effort now and throughout to get your returns in 7-12 months. Have to be strategic (look for rotations etc.). Analyze data on HS-Replay.

It requires a significant investment of time and money and especially time if you are F2P to have a decent enough card collection to achieve higher ranks. And for that reason, people don't want to continue playing this game after being beaten by experienced players once they reach rank 20.

All in all, people don't like to lose. if they keep losing they will eventually leave the HS for some other game.

[/quote]

True f2p go to wild as soon as possible. Their cards wont rotated. And to play standard, you need huge amount of classic packs opened. F2P will get bored when they told to binge open the boring old pack.