New Warlock Portals deck is pretty obscene...

Play Mode Discussion
Twice ina row now Ive had the displeasure of this new discard/portals Warlock deck. Its brutal. It has a ridiculous amount of removal and discarding costs NOTHING since all the damned cards come back to their hand. WTF? Games take forever too and they always stave off lethal.

Ugh. Warlock has WAY too much removal, thats the problem.
You do know that discard was almost unplayable for the longest time, right?

This is the one expansion where discard is now viable.
12/04/2018 04:41 PMPosted by AnimeFood

Is it really though?

I'm not asking for a super good sample, like we normally would. But is anyone playing that right now? If so, can we get a comment on small sample consistency?
12/04/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Gishgeron

Is it really though?

I'm not asking for a super good sample, like we normally would. But is anyone playing that right now? If so, can we get a comment on small sample consistency?

I got a winstreak with a discard deck but am about 50/50 after 10 games.

One guy asked "If u jus played Deathwing how the hell do you still have 4 cards in hand? :)
I might not like playing against it but its pretty good to see discard warlock seeing play. I used to play a lot of black decks back in magic and discard mechanics and the sort where always a favorite of mine.

So yes while warlock hasn't really been a class that is hurting for viability this is a kind of refreshing archetype that is going to hopefully change up how I need to tech my decks and what kind of counter plays I make.
I don't own the quest but I have been waiting 6 expansions for a reason to not dust clutchmother...maybe this is the expansion it was made for!

It was built six expansions into the future.
12/04/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Gishgeron

Is it really though?

I fought one in wild this morning.

Let see if its become a new contender in meta.
LOL apparently you haven't faced Gonk or Zuljin yet or you would realize that Warlock deck isn't really viable.
I played against one as odd mage. I don’t think it’s op or anything it was a fun game managed to win despite him having 9+ of the new legendary discard minion summoned lol.
Gonk's not OP. It's the standard druid OP arsenal that turns even that goofy thing into a game-breaking threat. It enables a lot of ridiculous things that wouldn't be possible without the massive mana cheats available to the class.
Guys, we did it. There is someone complaining about DISCARDLOCK.

Pack it up boys, we're done here
12/04/2018 08:58 PMPosted by AlvasViseron

Yeah.

Is this the best timeline or the worst in that case? I cant honestly tell.

I pulled the quest an xpac or two ago and am hoping its finally time to dust it off. But I'm not crafting the 3 other legends, and haven't pulled Jeklik yet. If I do I suppose it's easy enough to craft the beastie, but decks like this are just really hard to make work.

Even in ideal conditions.
Hey, I said obscene...,not overpowered. The discard mechanic and synergy isn’t the problem. It’s that warlock has too much removal and stalling. It feels like a Druid deck where they can ramp like crazy and draw cards with NO drawback.

So, we have another deck that appears to be only weak to hyper aggro. Hate feeling like you MUST play hand puke aggro decks to have a chance. Midrange and classic control decks aren’t going to fare well against stuff like this. If that’s what y’all want then so be it. I’m not a fan. Rather see midrange and tempo decks have a better chance but I guess that’s not in the plans for this meta.
12/05/2018 02:00 AMPosted by Mikey
Hey, I said obscene...,not overpowered. The discard mechanic and synergy isn’t the problem. It’s that warlock has too much removal and stalling. It feels like a Druid deck where they can ramp like crazy and draw cards with NO drawback.

So, we have another deck that appears to be only weak to hyper aggro. Hate feeling like you MUST play hand puke aggro decks to have a chance. Midrange and classic control decks aren’t going to fare well against stuff like this. If that’s what y’all want then so be it. I’m not a fan. Rather see midrange and tempo decks have a better chance but I guess that’s not in the plans for this meta.

They're losing all that removal you're talking about next expansion. I doubt it will even be a meta deck but people have to come here to complain about something day 2 of the expansion.
I beat it I with surrender to madness. Paying 7 for a bad taunt over and over and over is not a winning strategy
It's likely not legend viable. I have one built but that's because I have most the warlock cards.

It's kinda wierd now, but fun because the decisions you have to make each turn are super rough. It's extremely hard to pilot that is, much harder than any other deck I've played before. I'm somewhere around a 60% win rate with it, but idk if that's just my version or not and the fact that most decks aren't that great ATM since it's a day into the expo.

I'm using the value package and playing it slow and controlling. Br guldan, skull, and quest. It gets to a point where you just get so much free value it overwhelms. Yes there is a lot of removal, but with how many charge/rush minions there are plus combos and ways to do a ton of direct damage this won't be legend viable. You can't get enough healing into the deck outside of guldan and agro decks thrash it unless you get near perfect draws or they get bad ones.

It's definitely fun to play though. The soulwarden was a huge help. I'm able to feel better about playing a discard spell with guldan in hand knowing I may get him back with that. There are tons of crazy combo like things it can do too. I know I discarded a jeklik, clucthmother, and a soulwarden one game. Played a soul warden to get those back and ended up with 3 jeklik, and 3 cluthmothers in hand, then I played a cataclysm, then a quest and still had 9 cards in hand. It's super rare and in roughly the 15-20 games I played I pulled it off once and close a 2nd time.
Nege-troll at work.

it's mikey, he doesn't play the game and he's been complaining about everything for months now

is mikey

he thinks everything is OP
12/05/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Shakou

it's mikey, he doesn't play the game and he's been complaining about everything for months now

No, Your face. As always, the bad players that play nothing but busted decks get all defensive. Relax. You'll get better at the game. I believe in all of you. :)