MtG Arena = The death of Hearthstone

Community Discussion
Title says is all
It won't be the death of HS, since they are two very different flavors of ccg/tcg, but I'm excited to play it.

It's MTG's 3rd attempt at making a hearthstone clone, and it's looking like they finally got it right this time.
After the recent random as frack nerfs I am ready to try something else.
MtG Arena,... sounds good!
Damn I really am feeling f.... by Blizzard!
Shudderwock was already gonna be hard to play in standard, because saronite, grumble, lifesucker, kobold apprentice, and murmering elemental are going out, why would they do it right now?

Let the wockers play,...
Damn shame.
Didn't even think of playing Magic again,... not digital I mean, ( am ancient, played alpha and beta edition Magic, with real cards ;) )
But I am going to,...
Spend over 8000 gold on Rastakahn,... loved,... but this spoiled a lot for me.
Oh no. Man why are you doing this to me. With Hearthstone and Shadowverse already installed on my phone and PC how will i manage ANOTHER card game.

Guess i'll give it a go tho.
Wizards would never roll out such sweeping nerfs like Blizzard just did. They completely destroyed several decks, while conveniently not refunding any legendaries. I have started playing both recently and MtG is looking much better today.
it is in fact one of the best games that i have played. +1 for MtG. Good bye hearthstone, you were good while you lasted!
i dont know how TC can play only one game at a time...
Is it fast? Are the average game lengths down to around 7 or so minutes? That is what it is going to take to kill Hearthstone. That is the only thing that sets Hearthstone apart from all the others, that is where Hearthstone is unique.

So if they can get the average game time down to around 7 minutes then RIP Hearthstone, if not then Hearthstone stays where it is.
Hearthstone is far easier to get into and learn all the mechanics for any new player, plus it has all the fancy visuals and audio, and of course it's based on all the WarCraft lore many millions of people are already familiar with. Its overall presentation is high up there, which also helps greatly in making it very spectator-friendly. People who don't even play Hearthstone (had quit or never played it) enjoy watching other people play it.

As long as Hearthstone has all that going for it, it's not going anywhere any time soon. A (digital) card game needs to have all that and more to take down Hearthstone.

People thought Gwent would kill Hearthstone. How did that turn out, again?
Then people had hopes of Artifact accomplishing it, at least before the details of its economy were known, and now it's MtG Arena's turn.

Spoiler: MtG Arena won't kill Hearthstone, but will succeed in taking a small chunk of its player base.
HS is fine so long theres mana screw in MtG. Some smaller cgs will likely die out in the next year.
I love CCGs, and i LOVE the idea of MtG, but i just can't get over the design of cards. It's just....they're ugly to me. Which gives me mixed feelings because i've always wanted to get into MtG but i can't force myself to liking something when it's not appealing to me to even look at.
I apologize to all MtG fans, i hold massive respect towards anyone interested in CCGs but that oldschool artstyle of cards and walls of text on specific ones really turn me off.
It's just a problem with my taste; by no account would i say anything of the sort that MtG is bad.
Cheers.
Just came back to HS after hearing Odd Paladin, Druid Ramp and Shud had been nuked from orbit... and the game is still fugged.

Queued up for three games and Three for Three on hunter, two for three on a turn 6 Rexxar. The whole game design is flawed I think, changing a few cards is just changing what net deck you are going to see over and over again.

Blizz needs to implement some form of direct counterplay along the lines of instants or flash to allow interruptions to game plans. Hearthstone really needs get Dimir or Izzet type decks that prevent the predictable play you get when three very refined decks just dominate the Meta.

I'll take the occasional land screwed game for the fun of not seeing the same decks game after game after game.
Ha! That's what they said about Artifact as well.
Artifact or any other CCG out there is not MTG.

MTG Arena finally got it right. This is the online version of MTG that MTG fans have been looking for. I for one stopped playing MTG a while ago and HS took over my urge of card games.

Now, I find myself gravitating more towards Arena than HS and this was right after the last HS Xpac release.
12/21/2018 02:08 AMPosted by RedSpade
Ha! That's what they said about Artifact as well.

And Shadowverse, and Gwent, and Hex and so on.

Every new TCG/CCG is proclaimed to be the "Hearthstone Killer", just like every new MMO was proclaimed to be the "WoW Killer" when a new MMO seemed to pop up every month or so. Most of the time these predictions fall very flat on their face.

MtG Arena will likely find a solid playerbase and it will almost certainly be the new home of many unhappy Hearthstone players. But it is unlikely that it will be the death of Hearthstone.
12/20/2018 04:58 AMPosted by MetalX
Is it fast? Are the average game lengths down to around 7 or so minutes? That is what it is going to take to kill Hearthstone. That is the only thing that sets Hearthstone apart from all the others, that is where Hearthstone is unique.

So if they can get the average game time down to around 7 minutes then RIP Hearthstone, if not then Hearthstone stays where it is.

I find the games are faster on magic for most games, some decks are slower. But you should start to get a feel when you have lost a game. Sadly, the Rope burners can double a games length on saltiness alone :P

One of a big advantage in magic right now is how much variety i am seeing in decks.
I am doing ranked with artifact angels, Today i have face off against vampire deck in black and white. A Blue black Vampire control deck. Merfolk and elves.
Dimir doing dimir things *shudder* And Dinos !
:D Its just so good to see a variety and not feel like everyone today is playing hunters, shamans and warlocks.
I do like and want to play more hearthstone, but i think they need to do something badly to really give the matches some spice.
12/19/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Gundumbwing

It's MTG's 3rd attempt at making a hearthstone clone, and it's looking like they finally got it right this time.

That makes zero sense. You are aware that MTG existed long before HS, as did it's first online versions. HS is a clone of MTG not the other way around.

But to the OP..... Nah it won't be the death of HS. The only similarity they have is they are both virtual CCG's.

Hearthstone has it's niche as does MTG:A. But they are as different from one another as Country Music is to Heavy Metal, there are some fans who may like both but each has it's die hard target audience.
12/19/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Druss
MtG Arena,... sounds good!
Damn I really am feeling f.... by Blizzard!
Shudderwock was already gonna be hard to play in standard, because saronite, grumble, lifesucker, kobold apprentice, and murmering elemental are going out, why would they do it right now?

Let the wockers play,...
Damn shame.
Didn't even think of playing Magic again,... not digital I mean, ( am ancient, played alpha and beta edition Magic, with real cards ;) )
But I am going to,...
Spend over 8000 gold on Rastakahn,... loved,... but this spoiled a lot for me.
u srsly cry that blizzard finally made the dumbest deck not op in standart? if ppl who used to main shudderwock will be gone to some other game it warms my heart. altho i have bad news for u ...i dont think MGT will have so dumb cards like shudder in game so u will probably be upset that u need to think
stop thinking such a huge game, with so many players who donated so much in this game will just die in a second after release of some other game.

there are lots of casuals who just play hs on phone and never heard of MGT
there are people who simply wont like it
there are many people who are not that huge fans of card games to learn new card game all the time
im glad there is another good game but it wont even harm hs
i tried arena today...didnt really hook me to spend time on learning it...besides i wasted too much money and time on hs to bother to change