Legendaries in Rastakhan too expensive?

Play Mode Discussion
I'm still a fairly new player as I started right after Boomsday came out (so missed all the freebies).
Rastakhan is my "first" expansion, but I've noticed something which I want your opinion on:

The legendaries in this expansion seem very expensive, meaning that there are very few good neutral stand alone cards. Pretty much all of the legendaries this set require a ton of other legendaries to make them somewhat viable.

This practically renders a lot of the legendaries "useless", if you don't already have a lot of supporting legendaries (and epics) for the decks.

Let me give you a couple of examples:

I got Shirvallah as my free Loa. I was pretty stoked at first, till I realised I needed 5-6 more legendaries to make a somewhat viable deck. Then I got Jana'lai. Same scenario. I was hyped till I realised I was 5-6 legendaries short, and that an absolute key component of that deck (FLJ) would be rotating out soon.

Then I pulled Hi'reek the bat and Hakkar on top of that. I have yet to play a single of those 4 legendaries, as I simply can't afford the decks they fit in.

This really takes the fun out of the game for me, and I wonder if this is an issue often experienced?
Last expansion had a card like Zilliax that can fit into practically every deck, Witchwood had Baku/Genn, etc.

Universally strong cards that don't require a ton of backup to play with.
Is this expansion too expensive, or is it just business as usual?
12/24/2018 01:25 AMPosted by Flyveskalle
This really takes the fun out of the game for me, and I wonder if this is an issue often experienced?
Last expansion had a card like Zilliax that can fit into practically every deck, Witchwood had Baku/Genn, etc.

Universally strong cards that don't require a ton of backup to play with.
Is this expansion too expensive, or is it just business as usual?

If we had more Legendaries like Ziliax, who can be just a good standalone inclusion, you'd end up in the same place, but with the same 5-6 Legendary minions in every deck instead of 5-6 different Legendaries, which is even more boring in the long run.
The best Hi'reek deck I've seen is a budget friendly Zoo deck. I don't have a deck code right now, but it uses Spirit of the Bat, Sanguine Reveler, Ravenous Pterrodax, and Scarab Egg. Actually, this deck is close: https://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/1208493-hireek-handbuff-zoo

Shirvallah is only an expensive deck if you're trying to build the OTK deck... but I would advise against that anyway.

Jana'lai fits into Big Spell Mage and Odd Mage. If you don't have Baku, then Big Spell Mage is a decent option. You don't need all of the legendary cards. I used to run BSM without Alanna or Geddon and did well enough. Though, if you don't have FLJ, then I would advise against playing Mage for now.

Anyway, the end of a year is a bad time to jump in. There's two years of cards in the standard. Once the rotation happens (around April or so) you'll find use for those cards. This expansion did focus heavily on cards with synergy.
If you want to be able to catch up you should save all the gold you get and use it on the next expansion and the once after that. That means skipping this and last years expansions. Then in April of 2020 you should be able to catch up in standard.
I crafted Jan’Alai, I have Frost Lich Jaina, and I have felt no need to pair them together.

Furthermore the highest win rate Mage deck uses Jan’Alai and not Frost Lich Jaina, deck list below:

### Baku Luna
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Daring Fire-Eater
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Secretkeeper
# 2x (3) Black Cat
# 2x (3) Cinderstorm
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 2x (3) Pyromaniac
# 1x (3) Stargazer Luna
# 2x (5) Clockwork Automaton
# 1x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Nightblade
# 1x (7) Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAf0EBnGvBNHhAu72Ap74AqiHAwyeAbQEngXsBevCAo/TAovlAvvsAs/yAr36AqSHA82JAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
This is how most players experience the game, even more if you are relatively new.

You'll get a few excellent cards, but will lack others. It's extremely rare you'll have a full deck from just opening packs.

In my case, for Even Shaman I had Al'akir from Welcome Bundle, opened Kalimos from the first 10 packs of Un'goro. Opened Genn with Witchwood pre-order. Lich King was my first craft long ago. I only had to craft Hagatha, 2x Sea Giant and 2x Corpsetaker. That's 3200 dust, which is fair enough.

In the case of Malygos Druid, I opened the Twig weapon from a pack, had both UIs, Branching Paths and 1x Arcane Tyrant from packs. Had Malygos from the Dragon Welcome Bundle. Opened Floop in the first 10 packs of Boomsday. I needed Malfurion DK, Alex and one Tyrant.

For some other classes/decks I have absolutely nothing.

Should focus first on a deck with what you have, IF the cost in cards that will rotate in ~4 months isn't astronomical.

I started in Kobolds (Mid of December). During those 4 months I only played Casual, got at least rank 15 for a golden rare and just played for fun without crafting anything.
By April I had ~10k gold, bought the pre-order (70 packs) and suddenly I was on a pretty even level with everyone. Could (and did) craft multiple decks, got Rank 5-1, then Legend.
And that's because even spreading that 10k gold across the other expansions I was lacking, I don't think I got ~50 packs of each, so I was still lacking a lot, specially for some classes (but got really lucky in others).

But for the year of the Raven I did get at least 100 packs of each expansion (one with just gold). I will get at least 100 more for the next one. My options and ability to experiment will expand even more.

By now you should focus on gathering resources. You need to play a little of the long game. Save gold and dust. When rotation hits and you have a good chunk of those, you'll be happy you did.
The welcome bundle should be decent value for you as a new player, should be guaranteed to get at least 4 legendaries due to the 10 pack limit so would buy that if I was you!
I realize I may have highlighted a great Jan’Alai deck without Frost Lich Jaina, but it may not be of much help to you.

Below is a budget version that may be easier to stomach for you, you absolutely need Baku to make it work, you can sub some other cards here and there.

It will take some time before you get enough cards for fully optimized decks. We have all been there, and most of us play with less than fully optimized decks often, particularly when we get a “Win with Shaman” daily quest, and I try to have fun doing it.

### Budget Odd
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Daring Fire-Eater
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Saronite Taskmaster
# 1x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Black Cat
# 2x (3) Cinderstorm
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 1x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 1x (3) Mirror Entity
# 2x (3) Pyromaniac
# 2x (5) Clockwork Automaton
# 1x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 1x (5) Fungalmancer
# 2x (5) Nightblade
# 1x (7) Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAf0ECHHDAasEyssCj9MC0eECnvgCqIcDC7QEngXsBevCAovlAvvsAs/yAr36AqSHA82JA+yMAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
12/24/2018 01:25 AMPosted by Flyveskalle
Pretty much all of the legendaries this set require a ton of other legendaries to make them somewhat viable.

And that happens in every set. Specially with the "themed" ones (Loas, Quests, DKs).
For newer players it's normal to struggle a bit.

Best tips:
- Focus on 1 or 2 classes for the moment.
- Dust all golden cards you get (unless they're too good, or you just have the golden versions)
- Focus on cheap decks, or budget versions of the ones you wanna play
- Do your daily quests
- Get your achievements (lots of gold)
- Focus your packs in classic and rastakhan. Classic has the base cards of all decks.
Don't dust the legendary cards you're getting. They may never see play, but they could all see play at some point in tier 1 or 2 decks.

I remember getting Hadronox, and then Master Oakheart for free during the releases of KoFT and KnC. I knew they were meme-status cards that might never get the support necessary to see play, but when Witchwood came out, I was able disenchant my golden cards, and a few epic cards to craft taunt druid.

You can think of legendary cards being a net gain of 1600 dust when you receive them, and -1200 when you disenchant them. Unless you have a solid tier 1 or 2 deck in mind, that doesn't have epic or legendary cards that'll rotate out in a few months, keep the legendaries.

I am still a sad owner of Blood Queen Lana'thel, and now High Priest Jeklik.
Thats how they take your money. They're losing so much money from WoW, diablo, and HoTs they're pretty much riding on nerfing cards to make you buy more and making the top meta decks require multiple legendaries.
Idk what decks you're currently using or what cards you have in your collection, but odd pally and rogue are pretty cheap decks to make, all you really need is just baku, leeroy is worth it but just a luxury and not a necessity. And they are both T1, despite the nerfs to odd pally.