Matchmaking Rigged?

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Old topic but wondering if there was any large scale tests done that someone knows of?

- edited out the rest for all the people that just see my whinging, instead of my question.
Jeezus Hearthstone police on the prowl. Just posted it and get 3 dislikes. Didn't even read what I was asking I bet.
It's been widely assumed that this is the case and always debunked by Blizzard, albeit the developer would never acknowledge that the system is rigged should that be the case.
Nope. It's not rigged. If it was it would've been discovered and proved by now and a hell would've broke loose on Blizzard.
Why are people disliking a question?
12/29/2018 03:14 PMPosted by sparkzignite
Old topic but wondering if there was any large scale tests done that someone knows of. Just had one to many experiences recently above rank 5 where I make up a deck. Just make it up to counter tier 1-2 decks. And for some reason I'll face a deck that I've never seen played, and would get !@#$ on by any and every other deck being played at those ranks. Yet it's a perfect counter to what I've created. Oh and this is after powering from rank 18 to 3 after a few months of not playing. Just want to know if any more clout has stuck to this conspiracy. I'm just starting to believe it haha.
Lol, your disliking a question. Why not answer it.

They're likely not disliking the 10% of your post that is a question, but rather the 90% that's pretty much a whiny anecdote about how you had bad luck on ladder.

To answer your original question though, someone on Reddit did a statistical analysis of a series of games a month ago or so (link below).

Tl;dr is that the person who conducted the study found no evidence of selection given specific classes or cards in decks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/9wpsgh/empirical_investigation_of_opponent_selection_in/
...Lol, your disliking a question. Why not answer it.

They're likely not disliking the 10% of your post that is a question, but rather the 90% that's pretty much a whiny anecdote about how you had bad luck on ladder.

To answer your original question though, someone on Reddit did a statistical analysis of a series of games a month ago or so (link below).

Tl;dr is that the person who conducted the study found no evidence of selection given specific classes or cards in decks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/9wpsgh/empirical_investigation_of_opponent_selection_in/
Thank you. Say what you want but the 'whining' is the example for the experience I've had recently. In no way did I say 'Hearthstone matchmaking is Rigged'. I asked for confirmation of whether people thought it was or wasn't based upon any new statistical studies. People just hate someone saying anything remotely negative about hearthstone. And I hate people just hating something without provocation. Only so many times you can ignore 'coincidence' before you look to other people for an answer.
12/29/2018 04:31 PMPosted by sparkzignite
People just hate someone saying anything remotely negative about hearthstone.
No. We hate someone saying something stupid.

Especially stupid things that have been claimed and asked over and over again here for years.

Thank you. Say what you want but the 'whining' is the example for the experience I've had recently. In no way did I say 'Hearthstone matchmaking is Rigged'. I asked for confirmation of whether people thought it was or wasn't based upon any new statistical studies. People just hate someone saying anything remotely negative about hearthstone. And I hate people just hating something without provocation. Only so many times you can ignore 'coincidence' before you look to other people for an answer.

The biggest piece of proof I could give you is this very odd situation I encounter daily if I play casual wild.

I have built new decks for a certain class an can queue an see the game offer me no wait time as it spins til it gives me an opponent. However, the minute I try to play my RenoLock deck it will show me an average wait time of 6mins. No BS, if I cancel an swap decks no wait time shown but it will spin for 17 seconds or w/e time. But it shouldn't show a huge wait time for my most played deck ya know... gee I wonder why.

I'd go so far to actually say the game tracks how often you win with a deck an the deck you play develops an MMR. But if you delete it an rebuild it, it will start over...*tinfoil hat*.
12/29/2018 04:12 PMPosted by sparkzignite
Why are people disliking a question? Why not answer it and be a helpful little Blizzard B Bois.

If you’re aware it’s an old topic you’ll also be aware of the answer. That, and your demeaning replies are why you’re getting downvoted.
12/29/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Siperos
People just hate someone saying anything remotely negative about hearthstone.
No. We hate someone saying something stupid.

Especially stupid things that have been claimed and asked over and over again here for years.
How is it stupid? You didn't even provide evidence that it's not. So what basis do you have to say it's stupid? I'm sure it's not rigged. But say that instead of just disliking my comment and calling it stupid. Just such a negative vibe you people create.

You don't need an excuse for curiosity. If you wanted to know whether anyone has conducted a study on the matter, you would have been much better off just posting the first 10% of your OP and leaving it at that. The other 90% is anecdotal at best and doesn't serve to better explain your initial question.
12/29/2018 04:57 PMPosted by sparkzignite
How is it stupid? You didn't even provide evidence that it's not.
Neither have you. And no. Your personal bias experience is not 'evidence'. And you know what they say; claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I'm sure it's not rigged.
Then you're a not complete fool and all is good.

Peace.
12/29/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Siperos
How is it stupid? You didn't even provide evidence that it's not.
Neither have you. And no. Your personal bias experience is not 'evidence'. And you know what they say; claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I'm sure it's not rigged.
Then you're a not complete fool and all is good.

Peace.
Thank you for a more reasonable response. I'll conclude by saying I never used my 'whining' as 'evidence'. It was the experience I had recently, it justified my question. I see now I should have simply asked. But I had hoped too see if someone had had a similar experience. And also that someone could provide actual evidence of said topic. But hey it's all good, we got there didn't we people.
12/29/2018 04:12 PMPosted by sparkzignite
Why are people disliking a question? Why not answer it and be a helpful little Blizzard B Bois.

A lot of people use the dislike button to register a disagreement, not necessarily animosity. So you could take this as more people than not disagreeing with your (admittedly cautious) suggestion the game is rigged.

Personally, I think it is just bad luck, and think streamers and deck trackers would have noticed otherwise.
12/29/2018 03:22 PMPosted by sparkzignite
Jeezus Hearthstone police on the prowl. Just posted it and get 3 dislikes. Didn't even read what I was asking I bet.

Of course not. There's a new thread like this every week with the same question. It's been asked so often and the result is always the same.

Someone will say yes, there's a big conspiracy to screw you over and ensure some 50% win-rate. They'll argue with no real basis in reality and the thread turns into a long, stupid, argument.

There's no rigging. You're thrown into a bucket with other players of the same rank in ladder and then matched up randomly. Sometimes you'll see off-meta decks.
12/29/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Daikaze
12/29/2018 03:22 PMPosted by sparkzignite

Of course not. There's a new thread like this every week with the same question. It's been asked so often and the result is always the same.

Someone will say yes, there's a big conspiracy to screw you over and ensure some 50% win-rate. They'll argue with no real basis in reality and the thread turns into a long, stupid, argument.

There's no rigging. You're thrown into a bucket with other players of the same rank in ladder and then matched up randomly. Sometimes you'll see off-meta decks.
Thank you, one of the best responses yet. The 'theory' I've heard isn't that their out for me personally, as many would think when suggesting match rigging. It's that there's an algorithm, that classes each deck arch type. Win streaks are the trigger and it pits you against harder match-ups based on the deck type. I actually beat a few of said counters, however it just had me in a slight state of paranoia hence my 'whinging'. The feeling (clearly) is that it's not though, and evidence definitely supports that. The question is valid when you think about the Activision debacle with influencing match-ups to improve micro transactions. It's all business. And this is a company with more money then a small country. I don't believe it is rigged but my cynical side needed to be quelled.
12/29/2018 03:14 PMPosted by sparkzignite
Old topic but wondering if there was any large scale tests done that someone knows of?

- edited out the rest for all the people that just see my whinging, instead of my question.

Cant so No. But the RNG sure is stupid much of the time.

Tempo Mage

Coin Spellzerker +2 spell power
turn 2 play second Spellzerker
turn 3 play Explosive rune
turn 4 play cinderstorm
turn 5 play another explosive rune
turn 6 play another cinder storm
turn 7 play fireball GG

So 6 of the first 10 cards were all doubles?

Do you know the mathematical odds for that to happen? Yeah- there isn't anything fishy about the RNG.
As you have a win-streak, you come closer to the reaching the next rank. As you get closer to the next rank, people start playing more competitively. You're also more likely to see decks that run counter to the meta.

From a cost-perspective: Building a system that can identify and rig matchmaking to create (un)favorable matchups would be quite expensive. Running this system would also not be cheap.

I think the best evidence that it's not rigged is the current Hunter meta. It's very popular and there are counters available. If it were rigged, then Hunter would be far less popular due to frequently being countered.