How Can any New Players Compete?

Community Discussion
Having been around the block with this game, I am completely fed up and have been for quite some time.

Yet the game significantly gets worse as time goes by. Level locks was a horrible idea, said it before the launch and it's proven itself to be true......

With that being said, how can any new player even have a shot at this game?

The decks I play against in R20 are absurd. I refuse to spend anywhere near the amount of money I used to on this game. I can only think of the meta standard crap the people in lower ranks are playing against and them not spending money.

In general, Standard mode for that matter is a JOKE! If you aren't playing any of the over advertised netdecks, you're screwed because Standard is built around these crappy, monotonous, generic decks.

To that point, I was looking at the Standard meta decks in rotation right now and most of them cost 10,000+ dust! What new player, who doesn't spend a dime on this game is going to have any chance remotely of competing in Standard mode?
Its been proven time and time again you can get to legend with a budget deck . And getting 2k dust as a new player is easy if you do the starting grind properly .
I’ve been playing for years, but I suspect you’re very right. I feel like Blizzard needs to do more to give new players a fighting chance. I’m thinking of a tiered system where if you finish in the top x% of a tier then you get promoted to the next tier for the next season. That could do it. It would help casual players too.
12/12/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Dresden
I’ve been playing for years, but I suspect you’re very right. I feel like Blizzard needs to do more to give new players a fighting chance. I’m thinking of a tiered system where if you finish in the top x% of a tier then you get promoted to the next tier for the next season. That could do it. It would help casual players too.

Won't help. My guess is that many of these players concede some of their games on purpose so they can stay low in the ranks. Adding another tier that simply works on success in the game won't promote them and we'd just be stuck with the same problem.
12/12/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Bozzburgh

No way. This is a competitive game. You are either good or dead. Don't even think about ranked game while you haven't mastered your skill in training mode.
12/12/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Lyryal
Its been proven time and time again you can get to legend with a budget deck . And getting 2k dust as a new player is easy if you do the starting grind properly .

It hasn't. It's claimed time and time again, but it's never backed up with anything proven. It's always "well this person did it" and if you ask that person, then it ends up being someone else.

Hearthstone has become such an expensive game to play it is extremely restrictive for new players.
I feel you! However, don't be discouraged. And don't try to follow the trend of expensive decks. Look at what everyone's playing (ahem* hunters) and build a deck that can fight it.. along with decent chance on other matchups if possible.

I still consider myself a newbie on this game but so far, the furthest rank I've achieved was by cheap homebrewed decks.

1) Got to rank 16 with 5 stars... 5 times... with priest deck containing zero legendary in the previous meta.
2) Recently got to rank 14 with paly deck containing 2 legendary (one of them was nagle... so... pretty much just 1 legen lol).

Not sure if I will one day need to get myself a meta deck to climb higher or not. But it was good to know that cheap decks can climb to 15+ rank and experience it :)
12/13/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Eranos
It hasn't. It's claimed time and time again, but it's never backed up with anything proven. It's always "well this person did it" and if you ask that person, then it ends up being someone else.

Really?
https://www.metabomb.net/hearthstone/news/video-highlight-disguised-toast-hits-legend-with-a-f2p-deck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TlqswALdg
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20754926690
12/14/2018 11:43 AMPosted by SSD

Really?
https://www.metabomb.net/hearthstone/news/video-highlight-disguised-toast-hits-legend-with-a-f2p-deck

Over a year ago? Wow... imagine that.
12/12/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Lyryal

Hearthstone has become such an expensive game to play it is extremely restrictive for new players.

OK fine lets say its only been claimed , a well thought out budget deck can go what ? Theres a guy at r15 in the thread so lets go with that , Aint r15 more than a fair chance for a budget deck ? Aint that enough for a new player to aim for ?

Hearthstone isnt being restrictive towards new players , compared to earlier HS , we get WAY more freebies now . You can basicly get 6 legendary pretty fast using the one legendary in the first 10 packs of a set ...

I mean enlighten me some because im not seeing any of the issue on my fresh account(2months old , roughly 20hrs sinked in) other than wanting to have those sweet cards i see or have on my US account !
12/12/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Bozzburgh

They can't, by the time they catch up there is a new expac out..........I created a whole new account with which I spent NO money on it to test my theory and was proven correct.
This is one of the reason I believe the classic set needs to be rotated out each year and counted as one of the 3 yearly expansions.
So new players and returning plays have a better chance.
Returning players might have some old wild cards returning to standard.
While new players won't be a classic + 3 expansions sets behind.
The problem for new player is not the chance to compete, cause, for example, Odd Paladin is cheap and probably every new player can easily get the resources to craft it.

A lot of aggro deck are usually really cheap especially if player want to dump resources into that one deck rolling.

Problem for new player is the variety.
If they want to compete they have to stick with a X deck for entire months while farming golds and praying that the deck do not get destroyed by a nerf.

Problem is that the classic set is not as powerful as it should be.

New Player should see the Classic Set as the first important set to expand for creating average decks to start having fun with, but blizzard nerfed the Classic Set a lot giving player less options and pushing them towards expations,and this is terrible for new players.
12/14/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Eranos
12/14/2018 11:43 AMPosted by SSD
Really?

Over a year ago? Wow... imagine that.

First of all, a year ago, is not that long ago. Actually currently we almost the same meta than a year ago. I believe those experiences are still quite valid.

Second, with the increased amount of freebies and new New Player Experience, new players can actually and truly afford Top Tier Decks quickly, Maybe not most expensive ones, or not 100% complete, but nonetheless top tier decks. For Odd Paly, Odd Rogue, Zoolock or Kingsbane you need just 1 legendary. Spell Hunter is a bit more expensive, but still very budget deck.

Competitive decks are more accessible, so in the end there is more competition in lower ranks or casual.

12/17/2018 08:12 AMPosted by fox94
Problem for new player is the variety. If they want to compete they have to stick with a X deck for entire months while farming golds and praying that the deck do not get destroyed by a nerf.

Well, that's very nature of difference between F2P and paying players. F2P have to expect some limitations. If not then what would be difference?

12/17/2018 08:12 AMPosted by fox94
Problem is that the classic set is not as powerful as it should be. New Player should see the Classic Set as the first important set to expand for creating average decks to start having fun with, but blizzard nerfed the Classic Set a lot giving player less options and pushing them towards expations,and this is terrible for new players.

It looks like it was designers goal for 2018 to release sets specifically balanced around classic set. But, it wont be possible to judge until rotation in April 2019.

The biggest problem I can see for F2P and casual players is that they want to compete with a non-competive homebrew decks. Unfortunately this is something that was never possible in any CCG. That's very nature of game.

The changes can be made, but in the end each action causes reaction and somebody will probably inevitably end unhappy.
People complained that competitive decks are not accessible. Blizzard made them accessible, now people are complaining that ladder is saturated with competitive decks.
One of the last games I played I was playing my Druid who hasn't even level yet - at all.

The mage I was playing was level 10. Every other class was level 4. Don't even have all my free class cards yet.

I play my Druid because deal 65 dmg quest - play 10 games get the new druid portrait....

I go up against the Shaman who has chain gangs, lightning swarms, 2 healing rains, Lich King, open pack of Un Goro, Grumbles...

ya okay - level 4 druid vs all that and a bag of chips...

time for the f2p to take their beatings. I wasn't in ranked either was playing Casual in order to get credit for daily quests.
Why are people whinging that F2P players may have to focus on one deck and grind away for months getting gold to expand their options for ranked play?

There is nothing stopping them having fun with whatever Tavern brawl is in plus enjoy making decks for a challenge in other classes in non ranked play.

This game now has millions of players and to come in as F2P and expect to be super competitive from scratch is absurd. It's taken me 2 years to get a lot of decent cards and so now I can save dust and gold for the next expansion and be on the front foot and it is satisfying to know I've patiently earned that. I can do those 10K plus dust decks by not crafting too early and crafting the key legendaries I'm not lucky enough to have scored from packs when new expansion launched.

The fact you can, with PATIENCE, still achieve so much in this game is awesome. If you need to make it your side game for 6 - 12 months - just do your quests, get your free packs from tavern brawl etc, and get more serious about ranked when you can.
I recently picked this game up again and it's gotten ridiculous I have tried everything I have two accounts one where I disenchanted almost everything and tried to craft a good decision but still didn't have enough dust to create a meta deck. So I made another account and made a free to play Hunter which got me to r20 in wild and I have been in r20 and r19 for a while they need to make a ranked mode where you can have only free to play decks or only pay decks because it's a waste of time to try and push without spending money and the thing is a lot of the people who pay aren't even skilled they just have unfair decks that give their hero full health when they are at 8 hp or enchant a weapon to do 20 damage and keep drawing it it's ridiculous to try and compete
12/19/2018 12:12 AMPosted by sückmypeen
they need to make a ranked mode where you can have only free to play decks

Your understanding of ranked (competetive) mode is somehow ridiculous.
First of all, a year ago, is not that long ago. Actually currently we almost the same meta than a year ago. I believe those experiences are still quite valid.

He was using a HUNTER face deck, imagine that, all he would need is Rexxar to keep up with the current meta. Your evidence is garbage. Also this was done by one of the most talented HS players out there, not exactly the typical rookie. If you can't accept the game has a huge entry cost curve then you're just a blind fool throwing crap against the wall hoping it sticks as evidence. You're worse than a first year defense lawyer.