Nerf to Jan’alai, the Dragonhawk please

Community Discussion
this card is poorly designed its cost should be 9 manas

Sorry for my english
What class are you playing? It helps to have a removal handy for the ragnoros but Ive beaten every mage deck ive come across since the new expansion dropped. Trick is to save a removal for it but it is a hard deck to beat. I watched the streamers play the mage decks with it and came up with counters from watching. The worst is a non odd mage playing it. They are a pain to beat. But it can be done. Again tho depends on which class and cards you're using. Can you post you're deck list maybe I can help ya counter the dragonhawk.
Yikes, I felt I was lucky enough to pull some intriguing legendaries in this set and now, talk of nerf?!?
12/09/2018 07:44 PMPosted by DillDoh
What class are you playing? It helps to have a removal handy for the ragnoros but Ive beaten every mage deck ive come across since the new expansion dropped. Trick is to save a removal for it but it is a hard deck to beat. I watched the streamers play the mage decks with it and came up with counters from watching. The worst is a non odd mage playing it. They are a pain to beat. But it can be done. Again tho depends on which class and cards you're using. Can you post you're deck list maybe I can help ya counter the dragonhawk.

I play with aggro mage customized and works very well. I be in range 8.

I think a ragnaros for a cost of 7 manas and a minion 4/4 is much better than even Spiteful summoner and nerf is necessary.

Agree, 7 mana for a card that puts 12/12 stats on the board and the 8 random damage is too much. Also, the 8 damage requirement is too easy to meet with odd mage. This card played on turn 7, or coined on turn 6 wins most games.
Jan'alai went through a number of iterations during the development of Rastakhan's Rumble. The developers always wanted to include the effect "Your Hero Power also targets adjacent minions" on one of the set's mage cards to play into the fiery Hero Power theme of Jan'alai's Dragonhawks, but the effect shifted around between Spirit of the Dragonhawk, Pyromaniac, and Jan'alai himself throughout development. Another similar idea was a card reading "Spell Damage affects your Hero Power", and at one point Jan'alai was a 6-mana 4/4 minion with this effect as well as Spell Damage +3. This effect was later moved to Spirit of the Dragonhawk, but according to Peter Whalen, the deck didn't quite work due to the difficulty of trying to include both Hero Power and Spell Damage cards. Thus, Jan'alai was changed to have a more direct pay-off as a 6-mana 4/4 with "Battlecry: Summon every minion you've killed with your Hero Power", but this had two major issues, the first of which was that players "really, really, really hate" being beaten by their own minions. The second issue was that this design forced both players to keep track of every minion that died even if the mage player hadn't drawn Jan'alai yet. As a result, the designers wanted to find another version of Jan'alai in the same space, with a similar mana cost and an effect that gave players some mid- to late-game value as well as tempo. They started discussing "awesome fire creatures" from Warcraft and Hearthstone's past and eventually settled on simply bringing back Ragnaros, who felt perfect for the role.
The OTK decks (priest) are way more difficult to counter than ragnaros. Usually ragnaros doens’t last more than 1 turn, there are a lot of removals in the game ..
02/10/2019 08:57 AMPosted by Patrufaldi
The OTK decks (priest) are way more difficult to counter than ragnaros. Usually ragnaros doens’t last more than 1 turn, there are a lot of removals in the game ..

The bird still 4/4 it is a over powered combo. Is not like you are just waiting that 1 card all the time you have to deal with a hole deck.
Its just another ridiculous card they added to the game they should apologize for designing, the cost should be 8 under the rule of odd and even dominance in the meta but really it should be 10.You shouldn't be able to play a card like this and get to do anything else. And their are numbers of cards that fall under that line of thinking, some of the Old gods aren't as powerful as some of these cheaper more powerful cards. They through Ragnaros into the hall of fame partly for the very reason its an issue now, and then made it cheaper to play and gave it a 4/4 along side it, making it a hero power for warriors. Justicar Trueheart was also a problem even on turn 5 turn 6 and then added Baku and its lesser Grey, ruining the whole meta, for the next year any new cards will only be addressed by how they relate to an even or odd deck. No shortage of abused cards in this game and its only gotten exponentially worse in the past couple of years, plenty of other card games to learn from on what not to create, its like they dont test these cards before they release them.
I actually have no problem with this card. If I can effectively deal with it when it is played correctly, I pretty much win the game, as it is one of the key components of the decks it is played in.

I am currently 5-1 against mage in this current meta with the current deck I am using. And that will only improve. The overall winrate is 22-6, 79%.

Oddly enough, I got a quest to play a certain amount of priest cards for 60 gold, I forget how many I needed to play. I hate the priest class, I always neglect it. But I threw a deck together that is pretty much, what I though to be, garbage. Turns out to be pretty good.

Decklist:
### Custom Priest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (0) Silence
# 2x (0) Topsy Turvy
# 1x (1) Inner Fire
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 2x (2) Divine Spirit
# 2x (2) Shadow Visions
# 2x (4) Eternal Servitude
# 2x (4) Mass Dispel
# 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 2x (5) Witchwood Grizzly
# 2x (6) Shadow Essence
# 2x (7) Lesser Diamond Spellstone
# 1x (7) Psychic Scream
# 2x (8) Mosh'Ogg Enforcer
# 2x (9) Obsidian Statue
# 1x (9) Zerek's Cloning Gallery
# 2x (12) Grave Horror
#
AAECAa0GBPgC6NACjYIDl4cDDaUJ0QrWCvIM0cEC5cwC5swCtM4C4+kC8vEC0P4C2IkD64oDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I hate that this deck is performing so well, because I hate giving credit to the priest class, for any reason. It was the first class I played when this game went live and I invested in it quite heavily. Turns out, though, that it was the most trash class in the game and have had deep resentment toward the class since then.

You need to adapt to the meta, not, the meta needs to adapt to you.

And that line right there is the key reason why I NEVER support nerfs of any kind, on any card, for any reason.

Edit: My record against mages has improved, like I said it would, to 7-1. I am currently on a win streak as well, not just mages, since the original posting of this reply.
Typically, any deck that utilizes Jan’alai, the Dragonhawk, does not maintain a large number of other "threatening" cards. Asking for a nerf to this card when decks exist - like Wall Priest - or even single cards - like Deathstalker Rexxar (at SIX cost) - only demonstrates how short-sighted and whiny your post is. I'm assuming you played a couple of mages in quick succession and decided to come here to post about it. I hope that any developers or CMs that might read this would identify that immediately.

Please refrain from posting in the future with comments like these. I'm afraid that someone might read and listen to comments like these. You can go back to commenting on the World of Warcraft forums since that community has millions of posts like this... requests with zero thought that are more likely to cause further imbalance to the game.
You people do know that, I’m the grand scheme of things mage is on the lower end of the tier list right now, right?
Let’s direct our frustration at the two year standing Odd Paladin and relatively new deathrattle & mid range hunter decks.